• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

Thanks for that.

I am in good health so should be fine. My only issue would be eyesight. I don't suppose you know what the eyesight requirements are? I have perfect vision with glasses on and my eyesight isn't bad enough that i need to wear them for driving etc.
I developed a need for glasses as a signaller from using screens all the time. I’m a driver now and managed to get through an eye test without my glasses, I’m even losing my hearing in one ear on certain sounds, but all was ok.

MylesHSG

I'm almost fully deaf in one ear and passed the medical so unless you're worse than that don't fret.

willpilbeam

It's been about 2 months from passing the online assessment, I've been through a similar onboarding process a decade or so ago, I think it took about 1 year in total with this particular place from applying.
It went pretty quick until the interview, everything flowed well, and now the fourth week since interview, think there is 6 positions, 2 in 3 different areas.

red2512

If you are moving out of teaching that rule does not apply necessarily. Subject to negotiation of course.
Yeah I did think that. Problem is it would create an issue to recruit a replacement and also potentially ruins a reference if required too!

Just need a phone call soon hopefully!

mart78

Hi guys
Recently had an interview and wasn’t successful on this occasion for grade 2 post. Does anyone know if I can apply again in the near future and do the assessments I have already passed count for anything? Eg like do I have to retake again ??

TIA

Lpf93

Hi guys
Recently had an interview and wasn’t successful on this occasion for grade 2 post. Does anyone know if I can apply again in the near future and do the assessments I have already passed count for anything? Eg like do I have to retake again ??

TIA
Unlucky, try and get feedback from the people interviewing for when you apply again. I believe the tests you did stay in the system for 6 months so won’t need to do them again

willpilbeam

Hi guys

TIA
I'm sure i saw something after the assessments that they keep your results for 6 months (Maybe 12)

cc27

Thanks for the help guys. Interview done and felt it went relatively well. Should hear back within 7 days apparently.

ASFOS

I guess it also depends how many people they still have to interview after you. Fortunately I was the last person they interviewed so I only had to wait 3 or so days.

Jackm_91

Received a call yesterday for one of the Cumbria positions, really quick turn around they’ve said start date for training 5th June. Can’t wait to get started but very nervous at the same time, it’s a complete change for me coming from construction.
Can’t thank this page enough for all the information it has definitely helped me.

Lpf93

Good afternoon all,

I claimed my grade for a vacancy a few months ago and have had 2 paydays since.
Data changes have now queried if I’m able to claim my grade whilst I’m banded staff so I’m a little worried I’ll have to pay back the extra I’ve been paid since claiming my grade.
Any ideas/advice? I am with RMT so always have that option…

Thanks

Seejwalker

I
Good afternoon all,

Data changes have now queried if I’m able to claim my grade whilst I’m banded staff so I’m a little worried I’ll have to pay back the extra I’ve been paid since claiming my grade.

Thanks
Are you saying you’ve been paid a wage for a job that you never started?

And are now worried they’ll take that back?

Because if so, then I’d say yes, it’s very likely they will take it back.

They took 6k right out of my pay packet when I left and I know others that have had a few thousand taken due to their errors before.

Network rail are not shy in just taking money. But they’re always slow in handing it over.

I hope I’ve misinterpreted your post. Or at least you slip the net.

Lpf93

I

Are you saying you’ve been paid a wage for a job that you never started?

And are now worried they’ll take that back?

Because if so, then I’d say yes, it’s very likely they will take it back.

They took 6k right out of my pay packet when I left and I know others that have had a few thousand taken due to their errors before.

Network rail are not shy in just taking money. But they’re always slow in handing it over.

I hope I’ve misinterpreted your post. Or at least you slip the net.
Not started the job yet as my current role at NWR were unable to release me as they’re understaffed so was able to claim my grade as per red book. But data changes saying banded staff can’t claim their grade for this reason apparently.. but HR are checking anyway

Good afternoon all,

Thanks
I think you might be best checking with your rep. The Red book is signallers agreements and all written as someone moving from lower signaller grade to higher signaller grade, as opposed to what you are doing which - though internal to NWR - is basically a new starter

Seejwalker

Not started the job yet as my current role at NWR were unable to release me as they’re understaffed so was able to claim my grade as per red book. But data changes saying banded staff can’t claim their grade for this reason apparently.. but HR are checking anyway
Ah I see. I’d personally just keep the money aside if you have it and then leave it be for a few months.

Luke1687

I start Signal school next Monday 15th in Preston. I am booked to travel down on the morning. Can anyone tell me what people did regards luggage on the first day as I guess I can’t check in to my hotel until the afternoon? TIA

Seejwalker

I start Signal school next Monday 15th in Preston. I am booked to travel down on the morning. Can anyone tell me what people did regards luggage on the first day as I guess I can’t check in to my hotel until the afternoon? TIA
Just take it with you mate. Or head to hotel before hand and use their luggage facility (check they have one obviously before doing so).

Luke1687

Just take it with you mate. Or head to hotel before hand and use their luggage facility (check they have one obviously before doing so).
Ok cheers for the reply. All getting real now with the induction today and starting next week. Exciting and ready to get stuck in.

Seejwalker

Ok cheers for the reply. All getting real now with the induction today and starting next week. Exciting and ready to get stuck in.
It’s a decent well paying job that’s pretty secure.
Get your head down throughout training but remember to enjoy it also.
Don’t be afraid of going for a beer and a nice meal every once in a while as a group.
Remember to switch it all off on the weekend.
Best of luck to you mate.

Luke1687

It’s a decent well paying job that’s pretty secure.
Get your head down throughout training but remember to enjoy it also.
Don’t be afraid of going for a beer and a nice meal every once in a while as a group.
Remember to switch it all off on the weekend.
Best of luck to you mate.
Thanks for that. I am looking forward to meeting new people and sharing experience together. Just want to get cracking. Got a few days around my local signal boxes now which I’m really looking forward to. I guess it’s just all the unknown and wondering what things will be like. Thanks for your advice.

red2512

I've finally had a response for the WMSC jobs and unfortunately not done enough to get one. I've been put in a pool with the high scoring top candidates apparently.

Hopefully some of you guys have had good news, thanks for the help with applications and interview prep!