• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Frothy_B

I've been offered a role at Rugby! Hopefully there are others on here who have been successful too! The feeling of relief is so huge!
That's great news! Congrats.When I got the call for Marston Vale this afternoon I was wondering if you'd got a call also after the WMSC disappointment. Did they give you a rough start date or a date for IST?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2512

That's great news! Congrats.When I got the call for Marston Vale this afternoon I was wondering if you'd got a call also after the WMSC disappointment. Did they give you a rough start date or a date for IST?
Did you get one too? Congratulations if you did!

I'm coming out of teaching so start date is hopefully 7th August

Lpf93

It’s a new post that’s been created within a box/roster link, which means the current roster can be rewritten to comply with the 60 hours per week regulations.
For example a 4 person roster becomes a 5 person roster.
I think they’re going back to 72 again too

C70

Does anyone know whether the Willesden Carriage Sidings are 8-hour of 12-hour rosters? Thanks in advance.

Sunset route

Established Member
I think they’re going back to 72 again too

As per the new pay real and accepting the new NRP which has the following bullet point.

2.1.3 a maximum 60 hours worked in any rolling seven-day period
69228CD8-CD15-40F6-9F80-AAD5B3808786.png

Attachments

• 38153E36-1EB2-4ABC-93F5-D02E074726D9.png
    38153E36-1EB2-4ABC-93F5-D02E074726D9.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 34

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve got an interview coming up next week for a grade 2 position at Wickenby. Can anybody tell me about shift patterns and hours there please? Also sorry if this has been asked before but if I’m lucky enough to get as far as IST I was wondering if the course still contains the mandatory Maths and English tests for anyone who isn’t grade C or higher? If so I’ll have to dig around in the loft for my certificates .
Apologies for the delay in replying about Wickenby. The box hours are:
  • 0600 - 1400 / 1400 - 2200 / 2200 - 0600 Monday to Saturday (finish 0600 Sunday morning)
  • 1100 - 1800 / 1800 - 0600 Sundays
Annual leave - 25 days (27 after two years)

The box is a switch panel. Manual operated gates, so you get plenty of exercise.

t200

New starter pension question:

Currently looking at the 3 pension options and leaning towards the CARE scheme due to the 8.88 employer contribution.

Am I right in thinking that after 5 years service I can transfer to the RPS65 final salary scheme?

red2512

Hi all, I've been sent through paperwork for my new post. With the pension options it says the CARE pension rate from April 2018 was 5.92%. has there been any major change to this and would anyone recommend one or the other with pension options etc

SignalM0n

New starter pension question:

Currently looking at the 3 pension options and leaning towards the CARE scheme due to the 8.88 employer contribution.

Am I right in thinking that after 5 years service I can transfer to the RPS65 final salary scheme?

Hi all, I've been sent through paperwork for my new post. With the pension options it says the CARE pension rate from April 2018 was 5.92%. has there been any major change to this and would anyone recommend one or the other with pension options etc

Hi Red, unfortunately, no one should be recommending one route or another unless they’re an authorised financial bod. Any advice or recommendation is regulated by the FCA, and it should take into account your detailed personal and financial circumstances.

You’ve mentioned previously that you’re in education. If you’re in the TPS, that’s a CARE scheme I think?

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member
Weird. I know some areas were none compliant and had a temporary variance with 60s. Some areas won’t be able to be filled due to vacancies if 60 is a maximum

Our signalling centre is already compliant with both of the signallers rosters and the SSM roster and most of the wider route is apart from the local ROC which Will be shortly having renegotiated their respective rosters. Although I know it’s hit and miss with other routes around the country.

red2512

Hi Red, unfortunately, no one should be recommending one route or another unless they’re an authorised financial bod. Any advice or recommendation is regulated by the FCA, and it should take into account your detailed personal and financial circumstances.

You’ve mentioned previously that you’re in education. If you’re in the TPS, that’s a CARE scheme I think?
Ok brilliant thank you

High Dyke

Established Member
Our signalling centre is already compliant with both of the signallers rosters and the SSM roster and most of the wider route is apart from the local ROC which Will be shortly having renegotiated their respective rosters. Although I know it’s hit and miss with other routes around the country.
I'm the same. The area I work made changes to implement the new requirements in 2021. However, as you mention, it has been "hit and miss with other routes". In February I was told Network Rail had 57 derogations for the new standard. Not helpful, especially trying to compile new rosters using the current NRP, but to the new standards.

Royal351

I'm the same. The area I work made changes to implement the new requirements in 2021. However, as you mention, it has been "hit and miss with other routes". In February I was told Network Rail had 57 derogations for the new standard. Not helpful, especially trying to compile new rosters using the current NRP, but to the new standards.
Where I work the 60 hr roster is a nightmare, constantly needing to be booked off and its kicking the problem down the line. Just too much reliant on RDW and not back filling roles. Wouldnt put it past me if a panel around the London area shuts for an hour or so cause of no cover this summer. Hopefully not, but it hasnt worked well

Sunset route

Established Member
Yes very much the same problems around here.

Where I work the 60 hr roster is a nightmare, constantly needing to be booked off and its kicking the problem down the line. Just too much reliant on RDW and not back filling roles. Wouldnt put it past me if a panel around the London area shuts for an hour or so cause of no cover this summer. Hopefully not, but it hasnt worked well

Our roster section and out of hours SSMs are constantly booking staff off after reaching the 60hr limit and booking others on rest day / extra Sunday working just to cover these newly created gaps.

Lpf93

Weird. As a roster clerk we’ve been told to move on when someone gets to 60 but can go to 72 worst case scenario without booking off…

Sunset route

Established Member
Weird. As a roster clerk we’ve been told to move on when someone gets to 60 but can go to 72 worst case scenario without booking off…

With predominantly 12hr rosters in our area and some staff living nearly 2hrs away from work, it was felt by the company locally that they would be pushing their luck with the new ORR directive if staff were rostered too many shifts on the bounce or with little rest in between.

GMan01

Anyone had any updates regarding the Grade 2 positions at Holyhead, Bangor and Llandudno? Still awaiting news regarding an interview since March 16th! Everytime I contact HR I get an automated email saying Apologies for the delay, applications are still being shortlisted and processed. Surely it can't take this long to fill the available positions.

willpilbeam

Anyone had any updates regarding the Grade 2 positions at Holyhead, Bangor and Llandudno? Still awaiting news regarding an interview since March 16th! Everytime I contact HR I get an automated email saying Apologies for the delay, applications are still being shortlisted and processed. Surely it can't take this long to fill the available positions.
I'm also waiting.. Had an interview on April 6th, and also getting the automated replies.