• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

kevinc131

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has applied for the Grade 3/7 jobs at York ROC. I have passed the online tests but nothing since last Friday.

Which tests? The initial with the psychometric or the video scenarios? If it's the first lot probably check your junk emails, I applied for a different location and that was the only email that went to my junk email.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MylesHSG

Hello I’m new here but hoping you fellow signallers can help me out a little management in our area are trying to implement a 60hr compliant roster, they had a go last year but from what I recall before anything was agreed the idea was kicked into the long grass, over the last few months it seems to of raised its head again the rosters that have been submitted don't really work for me like the current one we are working does, I’m just curious if any other areas around the country have managed to implement a decent 60hr compliant roster, I am curious to know if it’s just a local initiative or if its back to being driven countrywide for fatigue management.

Any help or info from other areas would be willing to share would be fantastic I am LNE and I welcome info from any area and SB whether a lone manned location or a signalling centre.

We changed ours in 2021. The opening hours of the box changed and with that we were told all new rosters had to be 60hr compliant. Here is mine, it's single manned, 4 residents, open 24/7 apart from Saturday day shift is 8hrs. 4 week cycle.

OFF D D D RD RD D
D N N RD RD RD RD
OFF RD RD N N N N
N RD RD RD D D RD

I think the trick to a 12h roster is only coming off nights twice in a 4 week turn which means for a 60h roster is having a block of 5 nights. We are in the nice position of not having any GPR shifts. Yes, sometimes you'd get them off but residents having GPR built in never felt right to me, luckily management wanted to close the box for 4 hours a week which means with 4 residents we don't have spares.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Hello I’m new here but hoping you fellow signallers can help me out a little management in our area are trying to implement a 60hr compliant roster, they had a go last year but from what I recall before anything was agreed the idea was kicked into the long grass, over the last few months it seems to of raised its head again the rosters that have been submitted don't really work for me like the current one we are working does, I’m just curious if any other areas around the country have managed to implement a decent 60hr compliant roster, I am curious to know if it’s just a local initiative or if its back to being driven countrywide for fatigue management.

Any help or info from other areas would be willing to share would be fantastic I am LNE and I welcome info from any area and SB whether a lone manned location or a signalling centre.
The compliance has been a bit tricky. I've had to deal with new rosters for two shift locations and also 24/7 boxes on LNE (South).

East Midlands route, on two-shift boxes achieved the required standard by bringing rest day relief (RDR) signallers into boxes. ECML crossing boxes, already four in a box pushed for a compliant 12-hr roster. It took the TU reps about four years to get an agreed roster over the line.

One issue was regarding rest periods and whether the word 'Sunday' was included in the relevant part of National Rostering Principles (NRP).

I also understand that some areas refused to recruit new staff to accommodate the new 60-hr guidelines. Network Rail also had about 50-60 derogations from the new standard. Unfortunately, this doesn't help TU reps trying to plan compliant rosters.

Napier

We changed ours in 2021. The opening hours of the box changed and with that we were told all new rosters had to be 60hr compliant. Here is mine, it's single manned, 4 residents, open 24/7 apart from Saturday day shift is 8hrs. 4 week cycle.

OFF D D D RD RD D
D N N RD RD RD RD
OFF RD RD N N N N
N RD RD RD D D RD

I think the trick to a 12h roster is only coming off nights twice in a 4 week turn which means for a 60h roster is having a block of 5 nights. We are in the nice position of not having any GPR shifts. Yes, sometimes you'd get them off but residents having GPR built in never felt right to me, luckily management wanted to close the box for 4 hours a week which means with 4 residents we don't have spares.
Many thanks for your help, we close a Sat and Sun night hence the Early and Late shift this is the current non compliant roster:

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD RD N N N RD
OFF RD RD RD D D LS
LS N N RD RD D ES
ES D D D RD RD RD

The favoured roster of choice for us seems to be:

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD D D D RD RD
OFF RD N N RD RD LS
LS N RD RD RD D ES
ES D RD RD N N RD

The compliance has been a bit tricky. I've had to deal with new rosters for two shift locations and also 24/7 boxes on LNE (South).

East Midlands route, on two-shift boxes achieved the required standard by bringing rest day relief (RDR) signallers into boxes. ECML crossing boxes, already four in a box pushed for a compliant 12-hr roster. It took the TU reps about four years to get an agreed roster over the line.

One issue was regarding rest periods and whether the word 'Sunday' was included in the relevant part of National Rostering Principles (NRP).

I also understand that some areas refused to recruit new staff to accommodate the new 60-hr guidelines. Network Rail also had about 50-60 derogations from the new standard. Unfortunately, this doesn't help TU reps trying to plan compliant rosters.
NRP is daft in some areas of it and to slack in others.

Last edited:

heavyjack

If I was successful in getting job as a signaller in Scotland, Tayside area, where is the signalling training likely to be? Is there any in Scotland or would it be down in England? Just wondering. I have interview on Thursday.
Good luck.

I'll be looking at positions in Scotland in a couple of years. Interested in replies to this.

MylesHSG

Many thanks for your help, we close a Sat and Sun night hence the Early and Late shift this is the current non compliant roster:

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD RD N N N RD
OFF RD RD RD D D LS
LS N N RD RD D ES
ES D D D RD RD RD

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD D D D RD RD
OFF RD N N RD RD LS
LS N RD RD RD D ES
ES D RD RD N N RD

I'm surprised a Friday Night finishing on a Saturday RD is the favoured choice.

If I was successful in getting job as a signaller in Scotland, Tayside area, where is the signalling training likely to be? Is there any in Scotland or would it be down in England? Just wondering. I have interview on Thursday.
The 2 places in Scotland for Absolute Block IST are Larbert and Shettleston, Track Circuit Block is Shettleston only.

AA Steve

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know what a shift roster for a G7 at Cardiff looks like? Thanks in advance :)

HamSandwich

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD RD N N N RD
OFF RD RD RD D D LS
LS N N RD RD D ES
ES D D D RD RD RD

SUN M T W T F SAT
OFF RD D D D RD RD
OFF RD N N RD RD LS
LS N RD RD RD D ES
ES D RD RD N N RD

Is there a reason the Tuesday night shift isn't added to the Wed/Thur/Fri run of nightshifts, it wasn't in our "options" for choosing this time around but was last time, I can't see a problem with it and it means the change in roster isn't too different (I really like the current roster, I felt some of the options put forward meant you didn't get much time to recover between going from days to nights).

Prospire

Anyone who has recently completely the IST, what is the teaching method like? I assume it'll be classroom driven discussing the procedures etc. which is then put into practice in a practical (simulation) of some kind?

PF19

Anyone who has recently completely the IST, what is the teaching method like? I assume it'll be classroom driven discussing the procedures etc. which is then put into practice in a practical (simulation) of some kind?
Like being at school again but more interactive and demonstrating on the simulator! It's very good but extremely intense, there's a lot to learn in a relatively short time

Goggins

Like being at school again but more interactive and demonstrating on the simulator! It's very good but extremely intense, there's a lot to learn in a relatively short time
Is it very repetitive.. From what I've seen and heard in regards to bell codes etc, it would have to be for it to sink in.

PF19

Is it very repetitive.. From what I've seen and heard in regards to bell codes etc, it would have to be for it to sink in.
I wouldn't say repetitive, at least not at the stage I am at, you cover so many topics every week that you don't have time to keep going over the same stuff constantly, the bells you pick up as you're going along but if you learn a majority of them before you go that makes things infinitely easier!
It's extremely fun though, I'm having a great time, your "class mates" will make or break the course for you, you all need to help eachother especially in the simulator times before or after school

G17

Have interview on Friday, how many people is the panel likely to consist of.

BrummieBobby

Every signaller interview I have ever had (As an external candidate and later as an internal candidate for a higher grade position) has consisted of a panel of two; the hiring LOM and one other person (This could be another LOM, a signaller or SSM who is becoming a LOM, an OM or potentially somebody from Control or Planning) In my experience, it is always the hiring LOM that "leads" the interview.

Essentially, it will be two people with knowledge and experience specific to the locality where you have applied for a signaller job. I will say that, in my experience, all the interviewers I have dealt with have gone above and beyond to make it a comfortable / calming experience for the candidate.

The Puddock

Every signaller interview I have ever had (As an external candidate and later as an internal candidate for a higher grade position) has consisted of a panel of two; the hiring LOM and one other person (This could be another LOM, a signaller or SSM who is becoming a LOM, an OM or potentially somebody from Control or Planning) In my experience, it is always the hiring LOM that "leads" the interview.

In the current recruitment process for external candidates in Scotland (I don’t know whether it’s different elsewhere) interviews are done remotely by video call. The interviewers will be a Local Operations Manager and a Human Resources person. The LOM could be the hiring manager but more than likely won’t be, because they have moved to doing interviews for lots of different vacancies in one session so you can have candidates for lots of different areas interviewed by one LOM. It‘s possible you’ll be interviewed by two LOMs but they really like to have HR in on the interviews for externals now.

Open_G

Finished AB IST a couple of months ago.

A lot of whiteboard diagrams to follow. Lots of sitting in a horseshoe round one delegate on the simulator. Lots of PowerPoint (not always my favourite way to learn)

Lots of revision materials to go over at the hotel.

RailwayRookie

Finished AB IST a couple of months ago.

A lot of whiteboard diagrams to follow. Lots of sitting in a horseshoe round one delegate on the simulator. Lots of PowerPoint (not always my favourite way to learn)

Lots of revision materials to go over at the hotel.

With regards to the last part, are there materials / handouts provided that cover the topics you learnt or are you reliant on your own note taking during the class?

JWilliams

Is it a given that you will be at your nearest school ? Seems odd my LOM would mention booking a hotel when I can see the school from my house (few weeks kip away from the kids won't hurt, mind!)

The Puddock

Is it a given that you will be at your nearest school ? Seems odd my LOM would mention booking a hotel when I can see the school from my house (few weeks kip away from the kids won't hurt, mind!)
They try to keep you local but ultimately you go wherever there's a place available.

Open_G

With regards to the last part, are there materials / handouts provided that cover the topics you learnt or are you reliant on your own note taking during the class?
There are a bunch of quizzes to go through throughout the course. Most are lifted from the rule books but I found them very useful as revision aids.

Prospire

I got told in my interview that no matter how close you are to the training centre you are expected to stay at the hotel to bond with your classmates and to work on problems outside of the classroom.

Primo

Hi all,

Just a quick query regarding the medical. I've been given an appointment for next week but been informed the closest location is in London whereas I'm based in Yorkshire.

Obviously due to the short notice, this is going to result in a rather expensive train journey.

Does Network Rail have a policy of expensing travel costs to the medical or I am going to need pay out of pocket for this?

Many thanks all!
I would definitely give the medical company a call and see what they can do.
Yesterday I received a call booking my appointment for next Weds in York so there may be scope. I'm based in Notts/York area - 40 min by train, 1h 20 min by car.

LJC2023

Hi mate, did your call come from a no caller ID by any chance? I had one yesterday but wasn’t able to take the call and no message was left so was wondering whether it might be them.
I would definitely give the medical company a call and see what they can do.
Yesterday I received a call booking my appointment for next Weds in York so there may be scope. I'm based in Notts/York area - 40 min by train, 1h 20 min by car.

Goggins

Hi mate, did your call come from a no caller ID by any chance? I had one yesterday but wasn’t able to take the call and no message was left so was wondering whether it might be them.
When they called me it was a private number, I usually dont answer them, but this time i did as it called a few times

Primo

Yes it was from a hidden number, so good chance it was them.