• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

March1

Nope...but September is not that far away....don't know how many positions there are for that role...sure someone on here said they would here mid July...seems initial stages are quick then things really slow down

GingerRH

Of course you will need to know some codes, as they are still used in times of strife ! But if it's anything like our place, we do have the main ones at hand if we need them ! And yes agree that don't try to figure things out before you go to school, your version and the right version may well differ :)

In TCB NX signalling there are certainly no bell codes. The only ones you need to know are for out of gauge loads (pointlessly!)

Ross Shearing

Does anyone know when the September course starts? I suppose turn around for medical, DBS and reference will be tight!

Nope...but September is not that far away....don't know how many positions there are for that role...sure someone on here said they would here mid July...seems initial stages are quick then things really slow down

Rammie

Hello, long time lurker. I have a interview for a Grade Four ROC soon.

I've been researching the Non Technical Skills and brushing up on the company history and what the role of a signaller is.

Any other tips?

Thank you

Cerebral

Hello, long time lurker. I have a interview for a Grade Four ROC soon.

I've been researching the Non Technical Skills and brushing up on the company history and what the role of a signaller is.

Any other tips?

Thank you

If you are truly serious about getting the job start by reading the whole of this thread, trust me it is a goldmine.

Stumpysab

Hi all,
So I've applied for a G2 signaller back at the beginning of May and just had the interview this morning. I've done a lot of reading on this thread and it's been very helpful!
I did have a look at the 8 non tech core skills and thought of some scenarios where these had been covered in my life so far, I didn't however practice answering any potential questions surrounding these. I thought it better (as you never quite know what the questions will actually be) to go into it and try and cover their questions off the cuff, I think it went pretty well and did managed to cover all of the questions with examples - although they did want me to go into a bit more detail on a couple and sort of 'pushed me' back on track!
I'm hopeful and if not, it's been a positive experience and learning curve for the future.

March1

Well 5 weeks 1 day since my interview and still waiting for the result...just carry on as normal and forget about it for now until I get any kind of response regarding it...agree stumpysab...looked at what the non tech questions were and perhaps some answers could of given different responses in hindsight but all experience if need to do it again

NeilNX

Im a new member, but have enjoyed reading this thread, i do enjoy signalling, and have more of a liking of NX panels and westcad systems than your tradition levers.
Are openings more prevalent at traditions mechanical boxes or at PSB, SCC, and the ROCs? Asking this as an outsider.

Saracen_83

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have searched the site and re read this thread etc so just wanted to make sure I got my head around it so I can work out things before hand!!

Pay during signalling school is paid at 1 grade below your actual salary with no enhancements or London weighting applied.....

Then, during the on the job training, pay is still 1 grade below.. however depending on my place of work, depends on if I get paid enhancements and work either shifts or mon-fri....

Then

Once passed out on my first desk and working full rota pattern and on my own during shifts (say3-5 months after sig school) my money will go up to full pay and enhancements, night pay etc all then come Into effect....

Is this correct? Or have I gone off the rails so to speak (no pun intended)

Cheers

choochoobacca

Has anybody attended a signalling assessment/interview day recently and if so, able to shed any light on the nature of the assessments? Were they along the lines of the online assessments that are done as part of the application ie verbal and numerical reasoning type stuff?

TRain87

Has anybody attended a signalling assessment/interview day recently and if so, able to shed any light on the nature of the assessments? Were they along the lines of the online assessments that are done as part of the application ie verbal and numerical reasoning type stuff?
@Sinistah has... He's best person to ask as he got a job out of it

Malc77

Can anyone give me an idea on how long it takes HR to send out an offer pack from when you received a verbal offer ?

cogload

I peered through the window yesterday at the simulator during my visit to BSK for the rechipping process to see the newbugs hard at work.

From what I understand it seems that trainees are given a much more thorough grounding in the paperwork and the bureaucracy which surrounds the grade; the forms, reports and the likes. In which case I thoroughly approve as we did nothing of the sort when I was at school and on leaving there was an element of sink or swim.

glenblade

Had a interview for a grade 3 post my app has just gone to assement 2 completed so still waiting to hear from HR just like to thank everyone with the advice given on this thread