• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sinistah

Cheers mate. Guys is there anything to worry about with the medical.i don’t drink or smoke and have good eyesight and hearing. Only concern is i am in good shape but bMI states I’m obese. This is only the case because I lift weights and as a result an obese in the eyes of the test. Any thoughts guys?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tarminite

Cheers mate. Guys is there anything to worry about with the medical.i don’t drink or smoke and have good eyesight and hearing. Only concern is i am in good shape but bMI states I’m obese. This is only the case because I lift weights and as a result an obese in the eyes of the test. Any thoughts guys?

Good afternoon Sinistah,

I had my medical last week Friday, and my BMI is classed as obese (mine is because I eat to much though), as long as your can bend down, lift your arms up and move side to side, you will be absolutely fine.

High Dyke

Established Member
I wouldn't worry too much. The nurse likes telling us we're all overweight... Just as much as telling those of us that work shifts and only get the chance to enjoy alcohol when not working / due to work we are classed as binge drinkers if we go for a few drinks on rest days.

Seishin

Anyone else applied for Haslemere? Checked last week and it said I was unsuccessful but now it's changed today to invite to assessment pending. Bit strange I thought plus I was under the impression it would change to invite to assessment 2 pending. Does this mean I will have to undertake more testing before being asked to interview.

Sinistah

Not necessarily. It may just change again to test completed. One of my applications did that. However it did not change to unsuccessful though so not sure

nom de guerre

Guys is there anything to worry about with the medical... Only concern is i am in good shape but bMI states I’m obese. This is only the case because I lift weights and as a result an obese in the eyes of the test. Any thoughts guys?

I would echo High Dyke's post: don't worry too much.

One of our SSMs must weigh over 25 stone. You don't need to be shredded to work a panel/workstation.

Seishin

Not necessarily. It may just change again to test completed. One of my applications did that. However it did not change to unsuccessful though so not sure
Ok thanks. Don't get my hopes up then, could just as easy go back to rejection I suppose.

Sinistah

I was going for a record. I had many lows and highs. First went for high grades with no success. Then went for low grades with no success. I then resorted to applying for anything and then back to just signaller roles of all grades. 11months,58 applications and 4 interviews later. I got a role and subject to medical and checks should be starting in the next few months at a grade 7 box. A lot of the interviews we’re good but sometimes there is either an internal signaller or just someone else scoring higher at the time. It became all worth it when you get that call from the lom to say you were successful. Never give up

Seishin

Wow, well done that's a lot of applications, good luck with it in the future. I had an interview for Wylam a few weeks ago, which was actually my first signaller application but it didn't work out. Pretty gutted as it's nearby to where I live and I really want a change. I've now applied for vacancies far and wide as I'm willing to relocate and hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

Worldwide

Wow, well done that's a lot of applications, good luck with it in the future. I had an interview for Wylam a few weeks ago, which was actually my first signaller application but it didn't work out. Pretty gutted as it's nearby to where I live and I really want a change. I've now applied for vacancies far and wide as I'm willing to relocate and hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

You should ask for feedback see where you need to improve.

choochoobacca

I was going for a record. I had many lows and highs. First went for high grades with no success. Then went for low grades with no success. I then resorted to applying for anything and then back to just signaller roles of all grades. 11months,58 applications and 4 interviews later. I got a role and subject to medical and checks should be starting in the next few months at a grade 7 box. A lot of the interviews we’re good but sometimes there is either an internal signaller or just someone else scoring higher at the time. It became all worth it when you get that call from the lom to say you were successful. Never give up

Blimey, I thought I was going for a record but am about a dozen applications and 2 months behind you Sinistah :D
Unfortunately only the 2 interviews for me thus far but as you say, gotta keep on going!

Cerebral

112 applications since last August. Finally got the nod on my 5th and 6th interviews! :lol:

Apply for everything you can, prepare well, never give in!

Accyman

Just finished signalling school which has probably been the hardest course I have ever done and I was in both the Army and Police.
I did mine at Westwood over the course we had 6 instructors and the quality of instruction varied massively. All have a great knowledge of the rules but had various ways of putting knowledge across.
On the course we had 2 graduates 2 ex cops 2 ex HMP officers 1 LOM 1 Crossing Keeper and an ex teacher. All reasonably intelligent people. We all put many hours in on the the simulator early morning late afternoons.
We all passed everything and the secret is to work together help each other and show respect to each other. This course is no walk in the park. You have to work hard and basically give up your life for 12 weeks. I am now looking forward to getting to my box passing out and doing the job.

March1

Well 3 weeks 4 days since interview and still no update...never known any other job take so long to update people...well done those on this thread who succeeded...seems to be the theme of if at first you don't succeed then keep trying if you really want it

Sinistah

Just so you are aware it took a month 4 weeks before I found out I got the nod. But my first interview was exactly the same to find out I didn’t get it. Some were nice enough to let me know the next day that I had been unsuccessful. I guess it is just the lom. I would make a phone call to hr if u haven’t already

March1

OK sinistah...think will just sit and wait it out...a friend of mine did not even get to interview stage so will just forget about for now

jaxs71

Hello all. 1st post. I have just applied for g signal apprenticeship for ROC. I have done the 70 question form and passed tests. Anyone know what cones next? I am not that good at assessment centres and dread the idea of further testing. Thanks

Last edited:

GingerRH

Just finished signalling school which has probably been the hardest course I have ever done and I was in both the Army and Police.
I did mine at Westwood over the course we had 6 instructors and the quality of instruction varied massively. All have a great knowledge of the rules but had various ways of putting knowledge across.
On the course we had 2 graduates 2 ex cops 2 ex HMP officers 1 LOM 1 Crossing Keeper and an ex teacher. All reasonably intelligent people. We all put many hours in on the the simulator early morning late afternoons.
We all passed everything and the secret is to work together help each other and show respect to each other. This course is no walk in the park. You have to work hard and basically give up your life for 12 weeks. I am now looking forward to getting to my box passing out and doing the job.

Trust me, you’ll be laughing at yourself in 6 months time at how hard you thought it was! When you do stuff day in and day out it becomes second nature. Then again, it also depends on your signal box as to how often you will use certain regs.. if you go a year without doing something and then suddenly you need to use it, you may have forgotten it..!

TRain87

Trust me, you’ll be laughing at yourself in 6 months time at how hard you thought it was! When you do stuff day in and day out it becomes second nature. Then again, it also depends on your signal box as to how often you will use certain regs.. if you go a year without doing something and then suddenly you need to use it, you may have forgotten it..!

You still struggle with the general day to day running of trains

It's true though, you'll look back at your time in school and wonder why you worried so much

GingerRH

It's true though, you'll look back at your time in school and wonder why you worried so much

...have you forgotten whose training you next week?! We’ll have to have you answering the phone as trainee signaller I think ;)

In all honesty, the hardest part of the job after school is trying to keep up with the older signallers... I still have no idea how they can drink so much tea???

nom de guerre

When you do stuff day in and day out it becomes second nature. Then again, it also depends on your signal box as to how often you will use certain regs.. if you go a year without doing something and then suddenly you need to use it, you may have forgotten it..!

There's often time to get the book out and double-check the rarer/less time critical stuff, but clearly you don't want to be fumbling around when you need to initiate your first REC (a la the MML 'Two In A Bed', as featured in 'Red').

It took me 18 months to experience my first TCF(!) but I was constantly refreshing the relevant rules to avoid 'Knowledge Fade'. You don't want to be embarrassed - or worse - when the time comes.

...have you forgotten whose training you next week?! We’ll have to have you answering the phone as trainee signaller I think ;)

By all means give TRain87 a thorough beasting next week, but I read that as the 'Royal you'. Or perhaps he was giving his opinion of your skills :lol:

GingerRH

There's often time to get the book out and double-check the rarer/less time critical stuff, but clearly you don't want to be fumbling around when you need to initiate your first REC (a la the MML 'Two In A Bed', as featured in 'Red').

It took me 18 months to experience my first TCF(!) but I was constantly refreshing the relevant rules to avoid 'Knowledge Fade'. You don't want to be embarrassed - or worse - when the time comes.

By all means give TRain87 a thorough beasting next week, but I read that as the 'Royal you'. Or perhaps he was giving his opinion of your skills :lol:

Oh don’t worry, the way the panels been behaving recently he’ll be in for a busy week! ‘Oh dear.. it’s all flooded again.....’

TRain87

Definitely giving opinion on his signalling skills