• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Spectroscopic

I just got my PhD myself and had an interview last Thursday as a Signaller. One of the people that interviewed me was from a Chemistry background herself, so I don't think they have any issues with us researchers.

Unfortunately in my case I think the lack of a driving licence has put me out of the running, although I haven't heard back yet so who knows. However I intend to learn to drive as quickly as possible and apply for the next available position.

Small world. I am a synthetic chemist myself.

How was the interview?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muz333

Small world. I am a synthetic chemist myself.

How was the interview?

The interview was pretty much what you would expect. A question relating to each of the non-technical skills without going into details of what the specifics of the job itself, which would instead be learned at the signalling school.

be96erj

Just logged onto the recruitment portal and was shocked to see I have been rejected for 4 jobs in a row (and I didn't even have emails sent to me to confirm this)!!!

Like I said in a previous message, on my first application I got all the way through to interview (having passed the assessment day). But now I have been rejected at application form stage 5 times! Seriously wtf is going on?

I am so angry and upset. I was one question away from getting the other job, now I can't even get past the application stage.

Spectroscopic

Just logged onto the recruitment portal and was shocked to see I have been rejected for 4 jobs in a row (and I didn't even have emails sent to me to confirm this)!!!

Like I said in a previous message, on my first application I got all the way through to interview (having passed the assessment day). But now I have been rejected at application form stage 5 times! Seriously wtf is going on?

I am so angry and upset. I was one question away from getting the other job, now I can't even get past the application stage.

I am sorry man.

Which positions did you apply for if you don't mind me asking?

Donachie

Could be something regarding the new online testing , see other thread ??

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140317

Last edited:

TomBoyd

I assume you read all the discussion around your other rejection? Nothing has changed. You a) don't know your assessment day score and b) don't know those (and other scores) of the other candidates of the other 5 jobs.

The jobs in the south east are bound to be incredibly competitive, as are most signalling jobs. I think I read recently that 150 people were applying for every signalling job.

be96erj

I assume you read all the discussion around your other rejection? Nothing has changed. You a) don't know your assessment day score and b) don't know those (and other scores) of the other candidates of the other 5 jobs.

The jobs in the south east are bound to be incredibly competitive, as are most signalling jobs. I think I read recently that 150 people were applying for every signalling job.

yep I have, however, you should understand that marking an online application form is subjective. I am sure if you completed an application, you would want it to be assessed in a set, precise manner. That is what I would want- to find out how it was assessed and that managers are applying the same assessment criteria to each application. Are they being audited? If so, by who?

TomBoyd

yep I have, however, you should understand that marking an online application form is subjective. I am sure if you completed an application, you would want it to be assessed in a set, precise manner. That is what I would want- to find out how it was assessed and that managers are applying the same assessment criteria to each application. Are they being audited? If so, by who?

Why wouldn't they be applying the same assessment criteria? They're all assessed centrally, not locally.

EDIT: This might, might be due to the change in signaller assessment? Maybe you'll be getting an email on how to proceed from here?

Last edited:

be96erj

Why wouldn't they be applying the same assessment criteria? They're all assessed centrally, not locally.

EDIT: This might, might be due to the change in signaller assessment? Maybe you'll be getting an email on how to proceed from here?

To answer this, why not look at previous cases as to why some companies do not apply the same criteria to everyone. ;)
I really hope I get that email!

Last edited:

TomBoyd

To answer this, why not look at previous cases as to why some companies do not apply the same criteria to everyone. ;)

Well Network Rail has done a lot to combat these sorts of accusations that have been made, perhaps fairly, in the past. As far as you, or any of us know, they are totally baseless.

be96erj

Well Network Rail has done a lot to combat these sorts of accusations that have been made, perhaps fairly, in the past. As far as you, or any of us know, they are totally baseless.

Totally baseless? Okay, I don't see anything constructive with carrying on this conversation.

flappy8

I really hope I get that email!

I hope that are able to get some feedback. However I would be careful to speculate that HR are not applying the same criteria to everyone. Modern HR in large companies is all about being fair, which is precisely why a candidate can be short listed for one opportunity, and miss out on another, because the comparison is done between the applicants rather than against a straight line target. If you don't do thhat you might 'shortlist' everyone or indeed no one.

It's OK to be down about it but don't be furious with them. Instead channel that energy into thinking how your next application can be even better and then keep persevering.

Totally baseless? Okay, I don't see anything constructive with carrying on this conversation.

Some might say that if you want to cut a conversation short because you don't like someone's viewpoint when they are trying to help you, that you are not exhibiting the non-technical skills that are required in the safety critical environment of signalling.

Last edited:

be96erj

I hope that are able to get some feedback. However I would be careful to speculate that HR are not applying the same criteria to everyone. Modern HR in large companies is all about being fair, which is precisely why a candidate can be short listed for one opportunity, and miss out on another, because the comparison is done between the applicants rather than against a straight line target. If you don't do thhat you might 'shortlist' everyone or indeed no one.

It's OK to be down about it but don't be furious with them. Instead channel that energy into thinking how your next application can be even better and then keep persevering.

Some might say that if you want to cut a conversation short because you don't like what someone's viewpoint when they are trying to help you, that that is not in any way exhibiting the non technical skills that are required in the safety critical environment of signalling.

And how do I do that when I they refuse to give me any feedback, as the rejection was at application form stage?

be96erj

Some might say that if you want to cut a conversation short because you don't like someone's viewpoint when they are trying to help you, that you are not exhibiting the non-technical skills that are required in the safety critical environment of signalling.

:) I like your last point buddy. However sometimes in life, there are issues that you simply cannot find common ground on. This is such an issue. It is so emotive, that people on both sides can become defensive.

I am not sure I agree with your comparison with safety of signalling! With signalling safety, I would never have an argument with a colleague, when it comes to the issue of passenger safety. I would rather delay a train, that to put any lives at risk- I would later speak to that person to see what went wrong and how we could avoid a similar encounter in the future. So you see, the comparisons are not realistic (no doubt you will tell me that you are a signaller with 20 years in the job- but I still think you are wrong)!

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hey matey

I got as far as assessment centre for a role last year... but since then I only ever seem to be rejected at application form stage. I feel your pain :)

flappy8

And how do I do that when I they refuse to give me any feedback, as the rejection was at application form stage?

You follow people's advice about reevaluating what you have submitted and make it better.

:) I like your last point buddy. However sometimes in life, there are issues that you simply cannot find common ground on. This is such an issue. It is so emotive, that people on both sides can become defensive..............

This is still about behaviours though - if a problem occurs in a safety critical environment (any - not just signalling) the last thing you want anyone to do is be defensive to protect themselves rather than being frank and open.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Be96erj: i sincerely want NR to hire the best people they can. If you believe that you are right for the role, and if you're correct about that, then I hope you find your way into the company.

There are, as many have mentioned, constructive things you can do. If you want me, or others, to look at your answers and maybe give advice (as has been done in the past) then feel free to send someone a PM.

What is not constructive is worrying about things out of your control and potentially slandering the company you are trying to work for.

Last edited:

be96erj

Be96erj: i sincerely want NR to hire the best people they can. If you believe that you are right for the role, and if you're correct about that, then I hope you find your way into the company.

There are, as many have mentioned, constructive things you can do. If you want me, or others, to look at your answers and maybe give advice (as has been done in the past) then feel free to send someone a PM.

What is not constructive is worrying about things out of your control and potentially slandering the company you are trying to work for.

Thanks for the offer and I may well take you up on it in the future.

Best wishes.

Mongolfiera

Afternoon all,

I am new here on the forum, and currently going though the application process for a signaller role.

In the interest of not counting any chickens before they are hatched, I won't say much more yet, but this thread has been invaluable for information to this point, so I just wanted to say thank you all very much.

Fingers crossed for things moving in the right direction for those of you currently in the process, and I hope to talk with you some more over the coming months. :)

Muz333

Unfortunately in my case I think the lack of a driving licence has put me out of the running, although I haven't heard back yet so who knows. However I intend to learn to drive as quickly as possible and apply for the next available position.

I was wrong, got the good news today providing the disclosure/medical goes okay, which I couldn't foresee being a problem.

Donachie

But I already passed the tests- via the day assessment in London!

I could have accepted it if I had failed just one application form stage, but 5!!! It really beggars belief and I have wasted my time and money going to the assessment day in London :(

I know it a hard task getting a foot in the door and lots of disappointments.

I passed assessment centre and had an interview along with another candidate who was a assessment with me.
Neither of us got the job. He was lucky and had another interview for another job a week later and got it. I put in for that job as well and did not get passed application stage, even though I was shortlisted for interview for the other job !! .

I did not get any feedback why I did not get job , although I asked.

Have applied for many jobs since and got no where, even though my assessment pass was still valid.

Put in for another job 2 weeks ago and was told to take new online tests.
I have failed these tests .

End of the road for me it looks for a job I really wanted, thankfully I have a fairly well paid but stressful job at present.

Good luck with future applications be96erj.

Last edited:

be96erj

I know it a hard task getting a foot in the door and lots of disappointments.

I passed assessment centre and had an interview along with another candidate who was a assessment with me.
Neither of us got the job. He was lucky and had another interview for another job a week later and got it. I put in for that job as well and did not get passed application stage, even though I was shortlisted for interview for the other job !! .

I did not get any feedback why I did not get job , although I asked.

Have applied for many jobs since and got no where, even though my assessment pass was still valid.

Put in for another job 2 weeks ago and was told to take new online tests.
I have failed these tests .

End of the road for me it looks for a job I really wanted, thankfully I have a fairly well paid but stressful job at present.

Good luck with future applications be96erj.

thanks very much. I'm sorry to read about your predicament. I really hope you find what you are looking for in the future.

KneeOn

I sat my assessment today. I was on an early shift but it is the only chance i'll have to complete the tests in a quiet environment before the deadline.

I'm fairly sure I did not pass the maths - I got just shy of two thirds in. It's my own fault for spending too long on a question I knew I could work out but did the sums wrong and had to do it again (one of the 'which two combined figures had the highest increase') despite maths not being a weakness normally.

I'm unsure of the SJT - i thought it was a practice one until it said submitted! That'll teach me for doing it at the end of an early turn.

Fingers crossed but I wouldn't be surprise to have to wait 12 months now and then wait for an appropriate position to open up.

Scorpio008

I sat my assessment today. I was on an early shift but it is the only chance i'll have to complete the tests in a quiet environment before the deadline.

I'm fairly sure I did not pass the maths - I got just shy of two thirds in. It's my own fault for spending too long on a question I knew I could work out but did the sums wrong and had to do it again (one of the 'which two combined figures had the highest increase') despite maths not being a weakness normally.

I'm unsure of the SJT - i thought it was a practice one until it said submitted! That'll teach me for doing it at the end of an early turn.

Fingers crossed but I wouldn't be surprise to have to wait 12 months now and then wait for an appropriate position to open up.

The SHL results are only valid for 6 months, at least that's what I got from the email.

Also I don't think there is a "pass" mark for numerical/verbal reasoning, it's all relative depending on how well others who have applied for your position have fared in the same test. Some applications you might be the highest scoring, in others you might be the lowest.

Chin up, if you got two thirds of the questions right that seems pretty good to me and worst case scenario is taking the tests again in 6 months.:)

Spectroscopic

Looking for some advice. Applied for two signalling jobs a week ago, both have now closed. I haven't been invited to take any tests or heard anything.

When do you get the invitation to take the tests - it should be within 72 hours of them receiving your application right?

So am I ****ed...