• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

Quick question may even be hypothetical if I don’t get a job but thought I should ask!!!!

I have a holiday booked for my sister in laws wedding where I am an usher (she is getting married in August 2018, and I would be away for 11 days.

What happens regarding training course, this holiday etc????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Quick question may even be hypothetical if I don’t get a job but thought I should ask!!!!

I have a holiday booked for my sister in laws wedding where I am an usher (she is getting married in August 2018, and I would be away for 11 days.

What happens regarding training course, this holiday etc????

You aren't allowed to take A/L whilst at Signalling School, but can once you are Box training.
So either you would have to cancel the holiday or your training course if it fell whilst you were at School.

MD278

Hi All,
I'm a first time poster and am interested in a career as a signaller. I note from the thread that all new employees are to be apprentices for the first 12 months. Part of this is a level 2 maths qualification (A-C at GCSE or equivalent).
This has caused me some concern as this is not a strong point of mine and it's been a long time since I have had to study maths. Can anyone shed any light on what this entails and how stringently this is enforced until you 'pass out'
Thank you in advance to all posters in this thread. It has made for very informative reading.

Saracen_83

How long could my application stay “under consideration” for??

Last communication was 11 December when it changed to this.

Application was grade 8 three bridges if it helps

Sinistah

That seems normal mate. He say up to six weeks but inhave had a few much longer. My experience though if it is on app under consideration for longer than 2/3 months its a no no. Im sure you may have a few exceptions on here though

Treguard

When applying internally, do they take into account previous sickness? I was off for a good amount of time previously due to an unknown health condition (which thankfully now has been diagnosed and isn't actually an issue anymore - certainly wouldn't affect the job). In the past, I haven't been asked in interviews, so unsure if this is something that's part of their selection process afterwards.

Redder

How long could my application stay “under consideration” for??

Last communication was 11 December when it changed to this.

Application was grade 8 three bridges if it helps

In my limited experience if it goes from “Test Completed” to “Application Under Consideration” it’s a no no and a waiting game until it updates to “Application Unsuccessful”. It needs to go straight from “Test Completed” to “Application Under Consideration For Assessment 2” for it to be a positive.

That’s just my experience and I do stand to be corrected, I currently have 5 live applications, 3 at “Application Under Consideration” which I have mentally written off and 2 at “Test Completed” which I remain hopeful for.

Meister

In my limited experience if it goes from “Test Completed” to “Application Under Consideration” it’s a no no and a waiting game until it updates to “Application Unsuccessful”. It needs to go straight from “Test Completed” to “Application Under Consideration For Assessment 2” for it to be a positive.

That’s just my experience and I do stand to be corrected, I currently have 5 live applications, 3 at “Application Under Consideration” which I have mentally written off and 2 at “Test Completed” which I remain hopeful for.

Oh dear, this just makes me super nervous because i have 3 applications in, and all 3 of them are “Application Under Consideration”.

Saracen_83

Stupid question, signallers in cambridge, are they not located in Romford roc as I thought I read somewhere that Romford roc was taking over all east Anglia signalling????

Last edited:

gareth386

Finally had my medical today, all ok, just waiting on the urine test. How long have people had to wait for the results of that? and from there how long to people normally wait to get a start date?
Cheers

Sinistah

I had a few in the past at app under consideration. It can still be positive and turn to app under consideration for assessment 2. I had an interview in the past in October that did just that

Sunset route

Established Member
Stupid question, signallers in cambridge, are they not located in Romford roc as I thought I read somewhere that Romford roc was taking over all east Anglia signalling????

No Cambridge signallers are located in Cambridge PSB and apart from the much delayed and still waiting Upminster IECC moving to Romford ROC as TMS workstations, there doesn’t seem to be much signalling moving on Anglia at the moment apart from and stand to be corrected on this, but even the Great Yarmouth area that is being resignalled is moving to the existing Colchester PSB.

Lasbrisas

Finally had my medical today, all ok, just waiting on the urine test. How long have people had to wait for the results of that? and from there how long to people normally wait to get a start date?
Cheers
I had my medical in August, started on 30th October, it took 3 weeks for the urine test to come through. You will find that your start date will be based around when there is a place available for signal school as you usually start a week before you start school.

Lasbrisas

Hi All,
I'm a first time poster and am interested in a career as a signaller. I note from the thread that all new employees are to be apprentices for the first 12 months. Part of this is a level 2 maths qualification (A-C at GCSE or equivalent).
This has caused me some concern as this is not a strong point of mine and it's been a long time since I have had to study maths. Can anyone shed any light on what this entails and how stringently this is enforced until you 'pass out'
Thank you in advance to all posters in this thread. It has made for very informative reading.
Don't be concerned about the apprentice part of this, I'm currently about to start week 7 of signal school, also I can't find my certificates (1980) so they just ask you to do some tests while at signal school, they tell you it's not a pass or fail, they are just gauging your abilities. If you pass signal school there not going to fail you if your no good at maths, I have asked this question. It was brought in as NR get money back from the government for apprentices, it also stops people from leaving their current position for a year which was causing them a lot of problems.

gareth386

I had my medical in August, started on 30th October, it took 3 weeks for the urine test to come through. You will find that your start date will be based around when there is a place available for signal school as you usually start a week before you start school.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Any idea when the next available places are at signalling school by any chance?
Cheers

Matty42

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to thank all of you who have posted info in this thread, it's been very informative.

I've been lucky enough to be invited to an interview for a grade 2 role at paignton signal box and was hopeful someone on here might be able give me some info regarding the box and the shift pattern used there. I've tried to arrange a visit through HR but to no avail and there's not a lot that I can find on the Internet about this box either.

Meister

Hey Matty, Congrats for getting this far! Best of luck for your interview. When did you apply for this position? Just trying to get an idea of the time scale from applying to getting an interview

Dannygee

Thanks for getting back to me.
Any idea when the next available places are at signalling school by any chance?
Cheers
Signalling school places seem to be pretty constant. I was booked on for April, but got a call from my LOM today saying there's a cancellation in February, so now I'm on that one

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to thank all of you who have posted info in this thread, it's been very informative.

I've been lucky enough to be invited to an interview for a grade 2 role at paignton signal box and was hopeful someone on here might be able give me some info regarding the box and the shift pattern used there. I've tried to arrange a visit through HR but to no avail and there's not a lot that I can find on the Internet about this box either.

Paignton SB is an office with a small panel behind the ticket office.

I believe it’s 8hr Mon-Fri, with 12hr weekends.

You operate the LC at Paignton and the interchange between NWR and PDSR.

Matty42

Hey Matty, Congrats for getting this far! Best of luck for your interview. When did you apply for this position? Just trying to get an idea of the time scale from applying to getting an interview
I applied for this position at the beginning of December, the closing date was the 15th. Received an email on the 29th asking me to confirm if I was available for an interview on the 15th of January
So all pretty quick really, though my first application was for a grade 3 at the beginning of August, did the online tests that week, then waited till halfway through November to find out 'application unsuccessful'.

Matty42

Paignton SB is an office with a small panel behind the ticket office.

I believe it’s 8hr Mon-Fri, with 12hr weekends.

You operate the LC at Paignton and the interchange between NWR and PDSR.
Thanks Tom, I was hoping it might be a 12hr shift pattern as I like the idea of more days off but I'm used to doing six day weeks so I'll be happy either way if I'm fortunate enough to be taken on.

gareth386

Signalling school places seem to be pretty constant. I was booked on for April, but got a call from my LOM today saying there's a cancellation in February, so now I'm on that one
Cheers, hopefully I'll be able to get a similar opportunity. Even if it is April though I don't mind, I just looking forward to a start date now.

MD278

Don't be concerned about the apprentice part of this, I'm currently about to start week 7 of signal school, also I can't find my certificates (1980) so they just ask you to do some tests while at signal school, they tell you it's not a pass or fail, they are just gauging your abilities. If you pass signal school there not going to fail you if your no good at maths, I have asked this question. It was brought in as NR get money back from the government for apprentices, it also stops people from leaving their current position for a year which was causing them a lot of problems.

Thank you very much for the reply and that has put my mind at rest. Good luck with the rest of your training and all the best in your post when you get out there