• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Fore right

End of a long road? Only just starting mate lol... More like you've just exited the slip road and now on the motorway for 80 miles

lol il take that , I think it’s the not knowing , but the long road was 2 years and 7 applications .

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

I recently applied for the post of Grade 3 Signaller at Haslemere. This is listed as a relief position though? Can somebody advise as to what this is likely to entail? It doesn't say on the advert, but an educated assumption would suggest it's filling the gaps for rest days/annual leave/sickness etc? Not sure if this would only be Halsemere, or if other boxes of the same grade (Petersfield and Farncombe?) would be included as you seem to get a premium on top of the basic salary for being relief? Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi all,

I recently applied for the post of Grade 3 Signaller at Haslemere. This is listed as a relief position though? Can somebody advise as to what this is likely to entail? It doesn't say on the advert, but an educated assumption would suggest it's filling the gaps for rest days/annual leave/sickness etc? Not sure if this would only be Halsemere, or if other boxes of the same grade (Petersfield and Farncombe?) would be included as you seem to get a premium on top of the basic salary for being relief? Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

To save you go back over previous pages, Relief role (at any location) is that you’ll be based at the named SB but depending on local agreements you’ll learn and cover as required a number of named SB within a certain distant - generally the higher Relief premium the more or further away the locations you’ll cover from your home SB.

As a Relief you'll cover sick, leave, staff shortages, training etc at the agreed Relief locations.

The premium is broken down across the 13 pay periods and paid on top of your base salary. RDW etc is paid at your base grade rate.

JohnR

What sort of things are NR looking for on your CV for such a role? Is it a problem if you are a more mature entrant?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’d assume that you have transferable skills, understand the role (that’s in the CBQ on the application form).

Age is definitely not a problem, neither officially or unofficially.

Saracen_83

Anyone heard from West Hampstead?? I’ve sat at test complete since 15th Feb...... someone on here mentioned that this was for a talent pool, would that mean they wouldn’t interview until a role came available??? Or would interview and then enter a talent pool?

Stigy

Established Member
To save you go back over previous pages, Relief role (at any location) is that you’ll be based at the named SB but depending on local agreements you’ll learn and cover as required a number of named SB within a certain distant - generally the higher Relief premium the more or further away the locations you’ll cover from your home SB.

As a Relief you'll cover sick, leave, staff shortages, training etc at the agreed Relief locations.

The premium is broken down across the 13 pay periods and paid on top of your base salary. RDW etc is paid at your base grade rate.

Thanks for the info, it’s aporeciated. I’m guessing 18% is quite high in terms of premiums?

Sinistah

Anyone had there interview for Littlehaven, Arundel or dorking yet. I know the interviews are this week

Supercoss

Anyone heard from West Hampstead?? I’ve sat at test complete since 15th Feb...... someone on here mentioned that this was for a talent pool, would that mean they wouldn’t interview until a role came available??? Or would interview and then enter a talent pool?
Following the announcement that West Hampstead PSB will*NOT* be re controlled during 'CP6' (so no change until after March 2024) various vacancies exist. The latest vac (current) is for WH but the previous is for a LNE/EM 'pool' for either Kings Cross PSB or WH PSB whichever has a requirement.gg

Davey W

Hi,

Long term watcher, first time poster. Firstly, huge thank you to all of the incredible information available. Does anyone know anything about the Lostwithiel SB?

I applied for the G4 relief role in December and it then had the deadline extended for a week. I applied, passed all of the assessments and haven’t heard anything since - application under consideration. Does anyone on the inside know anything about whether the position has been filled?

Cheers,

Dave

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks for the info, it’s aporeciated. I’m guessing 18% is quite high in terms of premiums?

18% is tier two Relief premium works out at £36,778 a year, with extras on top.

Top tier is 32% but they are few and far between these days, my new role will be only 4% premium as I only cover one location but sign multiple desks across the links.

uww11x

Anyone know when Interviews at Wigton are taking place? Applied over 1 month ago

Saracen_83

Following the announcement that West Hampstead PSB will*NOT* be re controlled during 'CP6' (so no change until after March 2024) various vacancies exist. The latest vac (current) is for WH but the previous is for a LNE/EM 'pool' for either Kings Cross PSB or WH PSB whichever has a requirement.gg

So I’m presuming they should be short listing soon as it been 3-4 weeks??

Or will it be longer than this??

I’ve sat at “test complete” for West Hampstead since 15th Feb!!! Starting to wonder what happening!!

Last edited:

Clydefrog

Well its official. Im off to signalling school on 9th april at coventry. Is anyone else going to be there? I will be going up TBROC after signalling school.

Supercoss

So I’m presuming they should be short listing soon as it been 3-4 weeks??

Or will it be longer than this??

I’ve sat at “test complete” for West Hampstead since 15th Feb!!! Starting to wonder what happening!!
20th at WH,21st at K for'pool' vacancies,interview location is for either location, Good Luck

Saracen_83

20th at WH,21st at K for'pool' vacancies,interview location is for either location, Good Luck

Thanks for that mate, I’m presuming we wouldve heard by now if we were invited as it only a little over a week away, so I’m making assumption I’ve been unsuccessful

Last edited: