• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

linnet_ranger

There were/are indeed four roles available as advertised.

Well that leaves me feeling very deflated indeed then. I took solace from the fact that the NR HR lady was telling me the job ad must be wrong as there was only one position. If there are 4 roles as advertised and I didn't get an interview, then my CV obviously isn't up to scratch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saracen_83

CV or your test scores???

They probably don’t even look at your CV unless you are in the top scores for testing based on who applied

linnet_ranger

The lady rightly wouldn't be drawn on my test scores other than to say I scored very well. I honestly think it's my CV. It still reads as though I am applying for an Ops Leadership role and doesn't emphasise the NTS's enough. I've just applied for another two roles and suspect the same.

Are you allowed/able to get feedback as to whether you were declined based on test score or CV sift or is that detailed a level of feedback not generally given?

SmokeAndJoe

Well that leaves me feeling very deflated indeed then. I took solace from the fact that the NR HR lady was telling me the job ad must be wrong as there was only one position. If there are 4 roles as advertised and I didn't get an interview, then my CV obviously isn't up to scratch.
I wouldn't feel deflated based on not getting an interview for these jobs. There are some very strong and experienced internal candidates going for all those vacancies.

Saracen_83

So is your cv tailored to signalling???

I always thought that a cv was just a broad overview of your work life, as in what job how long etc qualifications, referees etc etc...

Saracen_83

Would be a better assumption to think it more the answers to the questionnaire if you don’t think it your test scores??

linnet_ranger

I would agree with this.

Mine lists previous responsibilities and prime achievements in the roles I have been in, bit of a personal statement at the start and quals etc at the end. Would be happy to share it with anyone willing to critique it.

When I reference the NTS's, I mean in the sense of thinking about the words I am using in my CV so that they can see evidence of the critical non-technical skills (I.e. I have transferable skills that would make me work having a sit down chat with).

SmokeAndJoe

Mine lists previous responsibilities and prime achievements in the roles I have been in, bit of a personal statement at the start and quals etc at the end. Would be happy to share it with anyone willing to critique it.

When I reference the NTS's, I mean in the sense of thinking about the words I am using in my CV so that they can see evidence of the critical non-technical skills (I.e. I have transferable skills that would make me work having a sit down chat with).
I started pretty recently, and I think I only listed previous jobs and roles and responsibilities within those.

+ the qualifications at the end. Even then, not sure how important these are/if at all.

linnet_ranger

Questionnaire is a valid point. I have tweaked them (and my cover letter) from previous failed applications, and I am happier with them then when I first started applying in July last year. Obviously I score "nul points" from question 35 onwards due to no signalling background which is fair enough.

Saracen_83

Same here, as like you no previous signalling or track experience..... I’m looking to create a covering letter to show I meet the NTS as this sounds like a good idea... sadly though as much as I think it a good idea, it been said plenty of times that it boils down to you being in the top 5 for the tests per vacancy to be taken forward to interview

linnet_ranger

I shall ring tomorrow and see if I can get more meaningful feedback to help me going forwards. At the end of the day, if my test scores are only in the 65th percentile or something, then realistically I need to allow my scores to lapse before applying again. If it's my CV, I can work on that. If I have no clue, then it is far harder.

Please don't mistake the above for arrogance or impatience - I know there are many talented candidates internally and many externally too. I just feel a bit dim as I don't know for sure what I need to do better/differently.

Dave Tasty

Hi Linnet,

I am of the understanding that the test scores last for a year, so am fully expecting to resit mine again come September. The way I see it is that if you do not apply for any more jobs and resit in the summer there are potentially lots of positions you could be missing out on. Why not treat everything between now and then as a free hit and carry on applying. You never know what may happen. I have applied for 10 jobs and had one interview for two posts (this did not go well on my behalf) didn't make the cut for 4 and network rail withdrew 4, which was incredibly frustrating but I am keeping on going. I suppose what I am saying is chin-up, there are quite a few of us in the same position as yourself.

nom de guerre

My current location is 12hrs x 3 per week, however you can catch x4 12hrs with a booked Sunday.

Very good roster, although there are parts where you catch the change over between a rotation of nights finishing Sunday morning 0700, then starting three days starting Monday at 0700.

Really? I'm surprised that's been allowed.

We always have a minimum of three RDs (well, two and a bit) between night and day blocks. TBH I'm glad of that buffer as it usually takes a couple of days to reset my body clock. That's the one thing I miss about 8h single-manned rosters: you only go from nights to days (lates) once every period!

Dispatcher999

Is anyone able to give any information on the Crossing Keeper position at Cambridge? What’s the difference between them and a signaller? I applied for both but my scores didn’t meet the standard for the Siganller job which is so frustrating. It did though meet the benchmark for the Crossing Keeper position so I’ll have to wait and see what that brings.

nom de guerre

The lady rightly wouldn't be drawn on my test scores other than to say I scored very well. I honestly think it's my CV. It still reads as though I am applying for an Ops Leadership role and doesn't emphasise the NTS's enough.

I'd treat anything HR say with a large pinch of salt. Remember, they have already given you one incorrect piece of information (the number of vacancies). For all we know, "very well" may just be a stock, scripted phrase HR are told to use whenever this question arises; it's also unquantifiable - we don't know what notional scoring band "very well" might refer to, or how other candidates fared in comparison. Essentially, it's meaningless.

As previous posters have suggested, I think the decisive factor is probably your questionnaire score. You just have to keep going. Sooner or later, one of the roles you apply for will have less competition and your score will likely result in an interview. I know it's dispiriting, but plenty of us have been there. I think it took me twelve or thirteen attempts to secure an interview.

Teddyward

I’m up to about 7 apps now. Knocked back for 2, 4 others sat at test complete, one got merged into am existing vacancy.

linnet_ranger

A big thank you to all of you for your thoughts and comments. I spoke to HR as planned and they first of all confirmed that there were indeed 4 positions for Arundel and that they were sorry for any confusion. The lady I spoke to said they can't provide any feedback but confirmed that my application did get put forward to the hiring manager so it was ultimately that the hiring manager will have had more suitable/better candidates.

I shall change my name to Percy Vere and do exactly that! :)

Highlandspring

Established Member
Really? I'm surprised that's been allowed.

We always have a minimum of three RDs (well, two and a bit) between night and day blocks. TBH I'm glad of that buffer as it usually takes a couple of days to reset my body clock. That's the one thing I miss about 8h single-manned rosters: you only go from nights to days (lates) once every period!
This type of short Sunday turnround is quite common on 12hr rosters but the NRPs are quite specific that if you finish a block of nightshifts you require a minimum of 32hrs off duty before your next turn, so aren’t available for a turn that commences 24hrs later. It doesn’t matter whether you finish on an ‘ordinary’ rest day or a Sunday. If the LLC has thrown that out the window when they agreed the local rosters then more fool them because it’s a horrible turnround. Been there, done that!

Evening folks,

I’ve today received a pre-offer email and would just like to say thank you for the wealth of info in this thread; it’s absolutely helped me to prepare for the interview and recruitment process.

I won’t say where the offer is for or any other information just yet as I’ve not had the offer in writing, they’ve just asked for previous employment information and the like.

I have a few questions if somebody would be kind enough to answer them:

1) How long can I expect to wait for a start date? Reading back I understand that it’s dependant on spaces at signalling school etc, but do they normally allow you to come into the company a bit before you start at school and do some shadowing?

2) What sort of thing do they test for during the medical? A tad overweight from Christmas etc so don’t want to be failed because I’m a chunk! Haha.

3) Any advice for the time before I start? Reading materials or anything of the like? And any advice for signalling school?

Many thanks in advance.

Silver

Dannygee

Evening folks,

I’ve today received a pre-offer email and would just like to say thank you for the wealth of info in this thread; it’s absolutely helped me to prepare for the interview and recruitment process.

I won’t say where the offer is for or any other information just yet as I’ve not had the offer in writing, they’ve just asked for previous employment information and the like.

1) How long can I expect to wait for a start date? Reading back I understand that it’s dependant on spaces at signalling school etc, but do they normally allow you to come into the company a bit before you start at school and do some shadowing?

2) What sort of thing do they test for during the medical? A tad overweight from Christmas etc so don’t want to be failed because I’m a chunk! Haha.

3) Any advice for the time before I start? Reading materials or anything of the like? And any advice for signalling school?

Many thanks in advance.

Silver
Congratulations!

Length of wait now us dependant on many things, like school dates, your LoM & how keen they are to get you in, how busy they are etc.

Some people I know started with Network Rail on the Friday, signalling school on the Monday others several weeks before school, others a week or so before school.

Medical is pretty standard, height, weight, eyesight, colour blindness, hearing, drugs/alcohol screening & general medical history, nothing too taxing, you'll be fine.
I shouldn't worry about pre reads,nothing formal anyway
Re signalling school, lots of pens, lots of paper, lots of perseverance and be prepared for information overload

Lewis423

Evening folks,

Many thanks in advance.

Silver
Congrats first and foremost!

I received my pre-offer email 17th January, managed to get booked in for my medical on the 29th, I opted to travel for mine to Leeds as I thought the sooner it’s done the sooner I can start and the soonest they could get me in at Newcastle was Feb 14th.

At this point it was pretty much radio silence until Feb 15th when I got my start date for May 14th, I’m in the office for a week by the sounds of things, learning my local area where I will be based then off to signalling school on May 21st.

My advice would be to remain patient, it’s an extremely long process.

Congrats first and foremost!

I received my pre-offer email 17th January, managed to get booked in for my medical on the 29th, I opted to travel for mine to Leeds as I thought the sooner it’s done the sooner I can start and the soonest they could get me in at Newcastle was Feb 14th.

At this point it was pretty much radio silence until Feb 15th when I got my start date for May 14th, I’m in the office for a week by the sounds of things, learning my local area where I will be based then off to signalling school on May 21st.

My advice would be to remain patient, it’s an extremely long process.

Thank you mate. I consider myself extremely lucky, this was my first interview (though not my first application) and I bagged the job, read on here that people wait years! Congratulations to you as well, hope you smash signalling school.

Maybe if they can squeeze me onto the course in May I’ll be seeing you there!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Congratulations to the lads who have made it to the end of the recruitment road !

Now the real hard works starts !

Clydefrog

Evening folks,

Many thanks in advance.

Silver
Congratulations!!

1) as with all applications depends on the Lom and how quickly you are needed. Hopefully the Lom will tell you so your not left hanging. Get onto Hr or the Lom if u dont get the answers you need.
I will be at my location 1 week before i go.

2) when i went for the medical there was a standard for eyesight and hearing that I had to pass but its not difficult to pass.
You would have to have very bad hearing and eyesight to fail to meet the standard. Ive seen some real real big chunks on the railway in signalling and they passed there medical so dont worry about that side of it.

3) Everyone always says to me just turn up at signalling school with a clear head. Listen and revise. Lots.