• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

I personally think 6 month secondments are for current signallers really. 18 month ftc would be okay for external if you were happy to re-locate if needed to another role.

I thought that, but it’s on the external list???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cavan

I thought that, but it’s on the external list???

Could be a mistake? Who knows. Someone on here might know the timetable for re-signalling on the nll/goblin. Upper Holloway is currently a portacabin and has been for some time.

Cavan

Anyone know broadly how the roster works on a box which is closed overnight, but open every day (sunday included) early morning to late evening?

Saracen_83

Got resignalled as long ago as 1985; I think that it still has the NX panel that was installed then ( photos)

Anyone know how the secondment thing works?? Is it for internals?? Or externals? (It is on the NR website for Upper Holloway????) If externals, how does it work? Ie chances of staying on after the secondment??

Last edited:

FManc

Well having had a look through this thread I guess it's a waiting game for me now. I've reached the benchmark for the SHL tests so I guess I've got to wait and see if my scores are good enough to get me through to interview. I imagine they'll be a fair bit of competition as I don't think I've ever seen an external position come up at Manchester ROC. Does anyone know what Manchester ROC is like to work at? shifts? It's a grade 3 position that's up. I pass the building everyday and it looks very modern. I take it more and more routes are transferring over to here as time goes on.

Lewis423

Anyone know how the secondment thing works?? Is it for internals?? Or externals? (It is on the NR website for Upper Holloway????) If externals, how does it work? Ie chances of staying on after the secondment??
When I was interviewed they mentioned about the one year secondment, they essentially said that they make it a one year contract so that once you have finished the apprenticeship scheme which is 12 months, they will be confident that you’re right for the role. It’s more of a safety net for the company more than anything. Work hard and keep your head down and you’ll be kept on, they spend too much money on training you to release you after a year.

Saracen_83

When I was interviewed they mentioned about the one year secondment, they essentially said that they make it a one year contract so that once you have finished the apprenticeship scheme which is 12 months, they will be confident that you’re right for the role. It’s more of a safety net for the company more than anything. Work hard and keep your head down and you’ll be kept on, they spend too much money on training you to release you after a year.

Thank Lewis but the secondment only 6 months??? I think what your talking about is a 12 mo th FTC

Last edited:

Saracen_83

Yea I can’t work it out.. says 6 mo th secondment but says about the 12 month signaller apprenticeship so a little confused!!

I’m happy to take a pay cut, however I’m not happy to risk being out of work in 6 months time.

Last edited:

James Russell

Hi all,

Just a quick couple of questions.

1) What are the basic hours a week for a signaller/crossing keeper?
2) Are all shifts 12 hours?
3) Does anyone work at Cambridge PSB?

Thanks
JR

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi all,

Just a quick couple of questions.

1) What are the basic hours a week for a signaller/crossing keeper?
2) Are all shifts 12 hours?
3) Does anyone work at Cambridge PSB?

Thanks
JR

1) 35hr week Monday to Saturday averaged out over the cycle of the roster. Note Sunday’s are not part of the working week but all known rostered Sunday’s must be reflected in the base roster.
2) Most 24hr locations either work a 8hr or 12hr rosters, but there are a few that run a mix of the two.
3) I’m sure someone on here does or knows more about that location.

JMH77

Let the forum know if you get an answer from hr on this as several people have wondered about this recently. The letters say 12months but the adverts 6.

I've just checked back over the correspondence I had with HR regarding my own application and found this:

"I can advise that all scores will be used for signaller applications for 12 months.
You may email a request 6 months from the date of completion to reset these"

James Russell

1) 35hr week Monday to Saturday averaged out over the cycle of the roster. Note Sunday’s are not part of the working week but all known rostered Sunday’s must be reflected in the base roster.
2) Most 24hr locations either work a 8hr or 12hr rosters, but there are a few that run a mix of the two.
3) I’m sure someone on here does or knows more about that location.

Thanks for the great reply, anymore information on how they run Cambridge would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

JohnR

Just had an email that the vacancy at Carnoustie has now been filled (didnt even get an interview). However, the email has informed me of three other vacancies in the area and if I am interested to let them know.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It might be helpful to list the signalbox situation on Network Rail Scotland infrastructure as of 01/05/18:

Currently operational and staffed -
Aberdeen SC
Annan
Arbroath
Auchterarder
Aviemore
Banavie SC (two RETB workstations)
Barnhill
Barrhead
Barrhill
Blackford
Blair Atholl
Carmont
Carnoustie
Clachnaharry (bridgekeeper, not a block post)
Cowlairs SC (two workstations co-located within Edinburgh SC)
Cupar
Dalwhinnie
Dumfries
Dunblane
Dundee SC
Dunkeld
Dunragit
Dyce
Edinburgh SC (seven workstations)
Errol
Fort William Junction
Fouldubs
Girvan
Glenwhilly
Hilton Junction
Holywood
Huntly
Insch
Inverkeilor
Inverness SC (TCB panel, RETB and Highland workstations)
Inverurie
Keith
Kennethmont
Kilkerran
Kilmarnock
Kingussie
Kirkconnel
Laurencekirk
Leuchars
Longforgan
Lugton
Mauchline
Montrose North
Motherwell SC
New Cumnock
Newtonhill
Perth SC
Pitlochry
Stanley Junction
Stirling Middle (frame and SAK panel)
Stirling North
Stonehaven
Tay Bridge South
Thornhill
West of Scotland SC (Former Glasgow Central SC, Paisley SC, Newton and Whifflet workstations on seperate links)
Yoker SC (two workstations)

As it stands at the moment
- Craigo and Greenloaning are permanently switched out but are planned to reopen to increase capacity when the “revolution in rail” timetable starts.
- Aviemore, Dunkeld and Pitlochry are planned to close next year, Dyce and Inverurie are also definite closures in the very near future with Keith, Huntly, Kennethmont and Insch to follow
- Motherwell SC loses another panel to WSSC in July this year and will relocate entirely by 2020.
- I understand Annan, Cupar, Inverkeilor, Newtonhill, Stirling North and Stirling Middle are all potentially on a shoogly peg in the short to medium term future.
- Hurlford is permanently switched out (incapable of opening) while Stranraer Harbour and Longannet are only open as required so are worked by relief staff only.

I don’t have an official figure but the above adds up to a couple of hundred signaller posts in Scotland. However that number will continue to drop over the next few years.

Last edited:

JohnR

St
As it stands at the moment
- Craigo and Greenloaning are permanently switched out but are planned to reopen to increase capacity when the “revolution in rail” timetable starts.
- Aviemore, Dunkeld and Pitlochry are planned to close next year, Dyce and Inverurie are also definite closures in the very near future with Keith, Huntly, Kennethmont and Insch to follow

My understanding is that there are plans to increase the opening hours at Inverkeilor to increase capacity? Perhaps this has already happened.

JohnR

Just had an email that the vacancy at Carnoustie has now been filled (didnt even get an interview). However, the email has informed me of three other vacancies in the area and if I am interested to let them know.

The annoying thing is that the email address which was quoted in the email that I was supposed to contact if I was interested in further vacancies, has bounced. I've tried responding to the original email, but as I suspected its a dead box that doesnt accept replies.

Anyone able to help with a suitable email address to contact ? Preferably a human?

Omega

Well having had a look through this thread I guess it's a waiting game for me now. I've reached the benchmark for the SHL tests so I guess I've got to wait and see if my scores are good enough to get me through to interview.

It sounds like we're in the same boat. Fingers crossed they'll at least get some of us external applicants in for an interview.

I was surprised with the SHL tests. I had a couple of goes at the practice tests and they were difficult. Almost on a level with Air Traffic Control tests I've taken in the past. The real ones seemed to be far easier.

Good luck bud! Never know, we might be working together in the not so distant future!

Thank you! It is indeed, although I’ve been brought onboard a lot quicker than some I think, so i consider myself quite lucky in that regard. I’ve not had too much waiting around.

Cavan

Job in East Midlands ROC (Derby) live today - listed as grade 3 but grade 4 salary given.

Alan77

Been advised I’m heading to York on 4th June for signalling school, anybody on here going to be there too?

I’ve got a starting date for 4th June too but not going to signalling school until the 11th apparently but I haven’t been told where yet.

NROP

I’ve got a starting date for 4th June too but not going to signalling school until the 11th apparently but I haven’t been told where yet.
I'm on the 11th June start at York, might see you there!

Paulm36

I'm on the 11th June start at York, might see you there!
Hi NROP
Congratulations on your start date. Just out of interest , how long did it take you to receive a verbal offer after you had your interview? I realise that all departments will work at a different pace , and depending on job urgency and such , but I'm just trying to get an idea on how long I might have to wait , to find out if I was successful or not . Hope you don't mind me asking . Thanks in advance.

Paulm36

Thank you! I found out the day after my interview
Fantastic , thank you for that. It's been over a week now for me since my interview . I've read people saying they've waited weeks and weeks to hear anything . Oh well I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Good luck with your training , and again congratulations on your new career.