• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sinistah

It’s a really old metric. I’m classed as obese on the bmi scale but am actually far from it in reality.

Bob smith

Been on test passed for a few weeks sounds like i could have several more to wait to see if i have an interview or not.

Last edited:

Freckles

Been on test passed for a few weeks sounds like i could have several more to wait to see if i have an interview or not.

Indeed Bob you may have a wait on your hands. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but for me there was about a week between applying, getting invited to take the online tests and finding out I'd made the benchmark followed by roughly 3-4 months of nothing before I got an email inviting me to interview.

All went swimmingly though and I'm happily settled into my charming little grade 2 box now. Best of luck with it all.

jdxn

Does anyone have any information on the earliest dates that Woking, Wimbledon, or Feltham boxes may be relocated? I do realise its a bit of a guess job, but if anyone on the outside has any thoughts it would be useful. Thanks

Bob smith

So after 19 days after test ive now gone application unsucessfull. Im still waiting on another which is still at test passed. Im now thinking i didnt go into enough depth on the 70 questions but gave a brief summary. Could this be why as i used the same format for the other application. Should i be going very deep into the answers or a brief summary? Maybe next time i should go more thourough

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
In the letter we got a few weeks back, there is no plan to move current Wessex Signalling locations into Basingstoke ROC during the next CP..2019-2024.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
So after 19 days after test ive now gone application unsucessfull. Im still waiting on another which is still at test passed. Im now thinking i didnt go into enough depth on the 70 questions but gave a brief summary. Could this be why as i used the same format for the other application. Should i be going very deep into the answers or a brief summary? Maybe next time i should go more thourough

I’d say more detail against the 9 NTS is better than brief summary answers.

DerkVon

Good evening to you all. I have just been unsuccessful at the test stage and after reading this feed from start to finish I can see that several members have multiple applications on the go at once. Are people applying to multiple posts if they have passed the test stage once or is it a hit and hope that the scores obtained are in the top 5 for that particular job position. Ultimately is it worth me waiting the 6 months and then redo the tests and try to get better scores or would it be worth just applying to various jobs with the hope that my original scores could be good enough???? Apologies for the wafflyness of this message!

gareth386

Good evening to you all. I have just been unsuccessful at the test stage and after reading this feed from start to finish I can see that several members have multiple applications on the go at once. Are people applying to multiple posts if they have passed the test stage once or is it a hit and hope that the scores obtained are in the top 5 for that particular job position. Ultimately is it worth me waiting the 6 months and then redo the tests and try to get better scores or would it be worth just applying to various jobs with the hope that my original scores could be good enough???? Apologies for the wafflyness of this message!

Apply for everything that you consider to be within travelling distance, a lot of people on here have 5+ applications, and several interviews before landing a job.
Keep at it and you will get there eventually, don't be disheartened.

JMH77

Definitely keep applying but by all means after the 6 months apply to have your scores reset for future applications if you feel you are likely to score better. Do bear in mind that if for any reason you performed worse than the first time you would be stuck with the lower score.

I failed at the online stage about 9 months ago and for a good few months didn't feel it was worth applying for any other positions but then one came up nearby which was a grade below the one I applied for before. I soon received an email to say I had reached the benchmark and that they would be in touch shortly (admittedly that was 3 months ago and I haven't heard anything yet)

Good luck

GingerRH

Does anyone have any information on the earliest dates that Woking, Wimbledon, or Feltham boxes may be relocated? I do realise its a bit of a guess job, but if anyone on the outside has any thoughts it would be useful. Thanks

In the letter we got a few weeks back, there is no plan to move current Wessex Signalling locations into Basingstoke ROC during the next CP..2019-2024.

If anything, Feltham panel 1 would be the first to go in out of all of them.

Basingstoke ASC won’t move into the ROC for a very very long time as the panels there haven’t been there for very long at all.

KMCM

Does any of you kind persons on here know of the shifts for the Crossing Keeper at Littlehaven, Horsham? Many thanks

glenblade

Hi just anyone know the shifts and rest day pattern for the cctv rosta at Doncaster PSB many thanks

Malc77

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. the advice is so valuable. I have passed medical and just waiting for start date with signalling school booked for mid November. It took 10 months and 28 applications to get there. So for those at the start of the journey, apply for everything within reason. For those worrying about medical, don't, its very basic the key focus is drugs and alcohol.

HalfNitro

I have passed the 70 questions online, now I 3 online test to do, is there a time limit for each one?

SignallerJohn

I have passed the 70 questions online, now I 3 online test to do, is there a time limit for each one?
There is a time limit to 2 of them (20 minutes a piece if I remember correctly) and if I remember correctly the situational style one isn’t timed but does take roughly 20 minutes.

You’re not expected to answer all questions in that time limit, and it even says not to guess if time is short.

nom de guerre

It is part of a NR fatigue management standard, currently in consultation with the union.

In essence, the standard has three parts that are applicable to the rostered week -

1) no more than 60 hours in *any* 7 day rolling period
2) 14 hours door to door (home, operating location)
3) No more than 13 days worked consecutively

This, of course, will mean a number of established signaller 12 hour rosters are non-compliant if the standard went live - say - tomorrow......

Yet to see anything official but I gather the ORR have decided to make the above a regulation (as opposed to a recommendation) to be implemented by 2022.

Southernsig

Yet to see anything official but I gather the ORR have decided to make the above a regulation (as opposed to a recommendation) to be implemented by 2022.
I presume with that being a regulation rather than recomendation that grandad rights will not apply?

Sunset route

Established Member
It is part of a NR fatigue management standard, currently in consultation with the union.

In essence, the standard has three parts that are applicable to the rostered week -

1) no more than 60 hours in *any* 7 day rolling period
2) 14 hours door to door (home, operating location)
3) No more than 13 days worked consecutively

This, of course, will mean a number of established signaller 12 hour rosters are non-compliant if the standard went live - say - tomorrow......

I presume with that being a regulation rather than recomendation that grandad rights will not apply?

This could put a good few noses out of joint if that is the case, especially signalling locations that have just won the right or are voting for 12 rosters. Some of my colleagues are pushing 16hr days at the moment including the commute at either end.

BallastMonkey

Can any signallers inform me what a Grade 2 in Acton Canal Wharf would operate?
Panels?
Areas
Roster
Pay etc

Thanks in advance

nom de guerre

If you search the Jobs forum for Acton Canal Wharf, you’ll find a fairly recent post answering some of your questions.

nom de guerre

No probs :smile:

Grade 2 basic is £27705. The regional allowance alone will take you over £30K and any night or Sunday turns worked will be worth more still. (It’s on a relatively quiet, freight-only line and IIRC some/all of the boxes close at night/on Sundays unless there are special workings.)

gareth386

This could put a good few noses out of joint if that is the case, especially signalling locations that have just won the right or are voting for 12 rosters. Some of my colleagues are pushing 16hr days at the moment including the commute at either end.

Ooh, I'd love 16 hour shifts, working week would be short as hell, definitely better than the shocking 8 hour roster I'm on now.