• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cerebral

Hey Guys! I've got the following status in my account -

Application under consideration for assessment 2 01-Nov-2018 14:16:33
Application Under Consideration 01-Nov-2018 14:26:20

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what this means? What could be next for me.

Regards.

I believe "Application under consideration for assessment 2" basically means your details are going over to the hiring manager to be considered for interview. Good luck!

VX220

Hey Guys! I've got the following status in my account -

Application under consideration for assessment 2 01-Nov-2018 14:16:33
Application Under Consideration 01-Nov-2018 14:26:20

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what this means? What could be next for me.

Regards.
I applied for this as well, but my application is showing as 'Application Under Consideration'. I also applied for a 12 Month Fixed Term grade 2 at Cardiff Control Centre - that's showing as 'Application under consideration for assessment 2'. Both updated today, but only received an email for the Cardiff job.

RAFsch

I applied for this as well, but my application is showing as 'Application Under Consideration'. I also applied for a 12 Month Fixed Term grade 2 at Cardiff Control Centre - that's showing as 'Application under consideration for assessment 2'. Both updated today, but only received an email for the Cardiff job.

How strange? So; you've not got the "Application under consideration for assessment 2" for the Carmarthen job, but have "Application under Consideration" only?

I don't know if I'm reading to much into this, but these differences MUST mean something to HR surely?

Good luck to you for both jobs, hope you can land one of them - and if we're lucky and both successful, perhaps see you at Signaller school!

Regards.

VX220

Good luck to you as well. I think 'assessment 2' means that the application has been short listed and will be reviewed by the hiring manager. Reading back through this thread suggests that the other status means 'better luck next time'. Shame, Camarthen would have been a nicer commute than Cardiff.

RAFsch

Good luck to you as well. I think 'assessment 2' means that the application has been short listed and will be reviewed by the hiring manager. Reading back through this thread suggests that the other status means 'better luck next time'. Shame, Camarthen would have been a nicer commute than Cardiff.

Where abouts are you if you don't mind me asking @VX220? I'm actually Carmarthen myself.

VX220

I'm from Swansea. Also waiting to hear about a grade 4 in Cardiff - that scheme closes tomorrow.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Be aware all SB between Port Talbot and Carmarthen have a death warrant on their heads by 2024.

Port Talbot - Bridgend panel.
Tondu SB
Pembrey SB
Ferryside SB
Kidwelly SB
Park Junction SB

These FTC roles are to initially backfill vacancies at these locations, although you’ll be paper based at SWCC for training school purposes.

Application under consideration is a general screening stage, you’ll see this multiple times throughout your journey.

Application under consideration for assessment 2 is that your app is with the hiring manager for consideration for interview.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'm from Swansea. Also waiting to hear about a grade 4 in Cardiff - that scheme closes tomorrow.

There’s some confusion as to where the grade 4 Relief is actually based, as our grade 4 link doesn’t have a Relief link (yet).

The resident grade 4s are to cover the blokes who have been promoted to grade 6 very recently. These will be Shrewsbury North & Rhyl workstations.

Chase18

Would anyone happen to know if Goole Sb is on 8 or 12 hours shifts by any chance please?

gareth386

Be aware all SB between Port Talbot and Carmarthen have a death warrant on their heads by 2024.

Port Talbot - Bridgend panel.
Tondu SB
Pembrey SB
Ferryside SB
Kidwelly SB
Park Junction SB

These FTC roles are to initially backfill vacancies at these locations, although you’ll be paper based at SWCC for training school purposes.

Application under consideration is a general screening stage, you’ll see this multiple times throughout your journey.

Application under consideration for assessment 2 is that your app is with the hiring manager for consideration for interview.

The letter we had a few months ago for Park Junction gave a date of 2021. But this is about the 5th date that has been given, so we'll have to see when it does actually shut.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The letter we had a few months ago for Park Junction gave a date of 2021. But this is about the 5th date that has been given, so we'll have to see when it does actually shut.

Long may all the listed SB remain open, I can’t see the money being available to be honest.

gareth386

Long may all the listed SB remain open, I can’t see the money being available to be honest.
I'm hoping that's the case, I'm going to try and stay out of the ROC for as long as possible, although I know I will end up there at some point.

VX220

Thanks for the info. The advert states the department as 'OW WROC - Shrewsbury North (102328) G5' and the location as 'Cardiff, GB'.

VX220

There’s some confusion as to where the grade 4 Relief is actually based, as our grade 4 link doesn’t have a Relief link (yet).

The resident grade 4s are to cover the blokes who have been promoted to grade 6 very recently. These will be Shrewsbury North & Rhyl workstations.
Thanks for the info. The advert states the department as 'OW WROC - Shrewsbury North (102328) G5' and the location as 'Cardiff, GB'.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'm hoping that's the case, I'm going to try and stay out of the ROC for as long as possible, although I know I will end up there at some point.

It’s not that bad to be honest, could be better, it’ll never be as good as a single manned SB but that’s life. Generally a good crew on shift, keep your head out of the political BS you’ll be okay.

Rammie

Quick question.

Is the application for different grades points based?

For example you do the 70 questions and score 50 points, you can only get to the next stage for grade 4 jobs or under.

I applied for a grade 2 previously and got through to the 2nd stage . But for grade three or four jobs I’m not progressing past the intial application.

Thinking is it work just waiting and do the questions again.

Cheers.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
No in a word.

The pass mark varies depending on the top x number of scores.

So say 5 people apply - top three get interviews for example.
Top score is 92%
2nd score is 87%
3rd 82%

The pass mark would be 82%.

But another job has 5 people apply also.

1st place 74%
2nd place 60%
3rd place 58%

Pass mark would be 58%.

I think if you say applied for both those jobs and scored 81% so failed to progress on app one, you’d be top score on app 2.

You can bank your score for 6 months, or choose to retake it if you wish, after six months it’s resets.

Along those lines anyway, grsde of the job doesn’t dictate pass score. But higher grade jobs attract more people (generally) so the pass mark is generally higher.

Andrew*Debbie

After reading this entire thread, I applied for the crossing keeper post at Ty Croes here on Anglesey. I just competed the on-line assessment. Only 16 questions and most of them were easy.

Information in this thread was very helpful.

Are there any working signal boxes left on the North Wales lines? I know many of them closed and are run from Cardiff. I'd like to know if there is any chance of advancement within commute distance of home.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Llandudno Junction SB to Holyhead SB are all still operational with no plans to close in the next Control period 2019-2024, personally I think and way beyond that.

Five SB closed earlier this year and moved south to Wales ROC, those which bordered with Chester through to Abergele which borders with Llandudno Junction SB.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Of that remains up there, there are some decent graded boxes. Llandudno Junction and Holyhead are Grade 5.