• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Narom

It means you’ve been provisionally offered a job subject to medical, assigned to new vacancy means they’ve got you assigned to the post.

Ah excellent. Seems an interesting and nerve inducing way to do it but I'll take it! Cheers

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Don’t think we’re meant to check our status so often to be honest.

I’d call them first thing tomorrow to get it confirmed. Congratulations, welcome to the club !

Narom

I’d call them first thing tomorrow to get it confirmed. Congratulations, welcome to the club !

Cheers. Think I leave it to the afternoon see if it updates. I had already been told last month with a call from my LOM but haven't heard anything since so just check to make sure I didn't imagine it!

@Narom Congratulations to you! ;)

Thank you!

Train182

I received a reply to my email saying "The role is no longer available". I'll keep trying!

Narom

I received a reply to my email saying "The role is no longer available". I'll keep trying!

Exactly what I got from mine. HR won't go delving in or check with the hiring manager. Just keep an eye on it. You may be surprised like I was!

Train182

Exactly what I got from mine. HR won't go delving in or check with the hiring manager. Just keep an eye on it. You may be surprised like I was!
We'll see mate! Thank you guys for all the information though, it is highly appreciated!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
A few good vacancies on the external list at the moment:

Thames Valley Signalling Centre, Didcot Grsde 7.

Three Bridges ROC, Grade 6.

East Midlands ROC, Derby Grade 6 (5 jobs open).

choochoobacca

Quick question regarding annual pay rise for NR signallers. Am I right in thinking they are normally issued in the new year, normally in the region of 3%? Is it a fairly consistent annual rise?

Narom

Incredibly helpful chap at recruitment answered the query easily.

Because I had applied for a position which was recruiting more than one a signaller it meant that I had to be split frok the initial vacancy on to a new one. That then enables them to put all my relevant files such as interview notes and the like into my own IRC and not a shared with the other successful candidate.

Makes sense when you think about it. Thankfully he also confirmed I've got the job!

gareth386

Because I had applied for a position which was recruiting more than one a signaller it meant that I had to be split frok the initial vacancy on to a new one. That then enables them to put all my relevant files such as interview notes and the like into my own IRC and not a shared with the other successful candidate.

Makes sense when you think about it. Thankfully he also confirmed I've got the job!

That's awesome, congratulations

choochoobacca

Congratulations! Where is the job, if you don’t mind me asking ? (I understand if you don’t want to say, to maintain anonymity on here).
I’m in a similar position to you, and wondering if I may be working with you soon...

GingerRH

Quick question regarding annual pay rise for NR signallers. Am I right in thinking they are normally issued in the new year, normally in the region of 3%? Is it a fairly consistent annual rise?

The pay rise is based on RPI for October of the previous year. So our 2019 pay increase will be negotiated off of the RPI for October 2018, last month. However it’s negotiated around the RPI figure I believe.

There has also been a suggestion from
The DfT that the unions accept CPI rather than RPI, however I’ve not heard anymore in regards to this.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Fantastic !!!!!!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m really sorry to hear that mate, take it from one who knows - don’t give up or lose faith !

Danc87

mine has been sat on test completed for about a month now waiting is killing me! anyone know what shifts the upminster box are on?

Andrew*Debbie

mine has been sat on test completed for about a month

I hope mine stays at test complete for the next month. :)

Latest from the trade union at my current job is we will be getting offical Section 188 notification first week of December. I don't want to be unemployed but I also don't want to miss out on redundancy pay. I've been in my current post for 9 years.

High Dyke

Established Member
I wouldn't say that it is "consistent", but whenever the talks between Network Rail and Trade Unions reach agreement then pay is backdated to a defined date. In the past a quick agreement has been reached early on into the year, but we've also dragged it through half a year before an agreement is achieved.

Pay is based on the November RPI figure. We are coming to the end of a two-year deal and negotiations have started. The current pay agreement saw in the first year, from 1 January 2017, an increase of 2.2% (equal to the November 2016 RPI figure), was applied. The Second year of a two stage two year agreement saw an increase of 3.9% (based on the November 2017 RPI) from 1 January 2018.

Hazzie9

Hi all ... Any thoughts about being offered a 12 month fixed contract? Will they really spend 12 weeks training me for a year of work? Just having to consider my options, so any thoughts are very appreciated.

choochoobacca

I wouldn't say that it is "consistent", but whenever the talks between Network Rail and Trade Unions reach agreement then pay is backdated to a defined date. In the past a quick agreement has been reached early on into the year, but we've also dragged it through half a year before an agreement is achieved.

Pay is based on the November RPI figure. We are coming to the end of a two-year deal and negotiations have started. The current pay agreement saw in the first year, from 1 January 2017, an increase of 2.2% (equal to the November 2016 RPI figure), was applied. The Second year of a two stage two year agreement saw an increase of 3.9% (based on the November 2017 RPI) from 1 January 2018.

Many thanks for the info, will be interesting to see what happens going forwards.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi all ... Any thoughts about being offered a 12 month fixed contract? Will they really spend 12 weeks training me for a year of work? Just having to consider my options, so any thoughts are very appreciated.

I was offered a 12 month contract about two years ago, along with four others.

22 months on, all four now have permeant jobs ranging from grsde 2 to five.

I didn’t take the job after I was offered a permanent role instead.

You’ll find that you’ll have a nod in the right direction when a “suitable” role comes up shortly after signalling school....*

*providing you pass school and don’t bugger about in the mean time, their not in the business of spending thousands recruiting and training only to let you go 7 months later.