• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

gareth386

Hi all ... Any thoughts about being offered a 12 month fixed contract? Will they really spend 12 weeks training me for a year of work? Just having to consider my options, so any thoughts are very appreciated.
They offer 12 month contracts to cover their arses. If they take you on and you fail to pass the course then they can get rid after 12 months, historically they would have had to find you another suitable position within the company and keep you employed.
I started on the 12 month FTC then after 4 months I got offered a full time position.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danc87

just applied for the ashford role! abit far from home but I really want to got my foot in the door

nom de guerre

Ashford is a 12 hour roster, so if the commute is too tiring you could stay locally for each block of 3 or 4 shifts. Plenty have done it, whether airbnb, B&B or even a caravan in the box car park!

nom de guerre

Not sure I'd fancy it, but it does happen.

We're awaiting a chap on secondment who currently spends his working week sleeping in the back of his (admittedly pimped) van in a ROC car park! And didn't Tom Q mention that TVSC had a dedicated camping area when he was there?

Not just larger boxes, either. I once visited Oxford PSB and noticed a fairly swish static caravan parked next door. It turned out to be a Welsh resident's 'working' digs.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ashford is a 12 hour roster, so if the commute is too tiring you could stay locally for each block of 3 or 4 shifts. Plenty have done it, whether airbnb, B&B or even a caravan in the box car park!

Glad it’s not just our place who turn the car park into a trailer park lol

Narom

I've struck lucky with my eventual box I won't be faffing with campers so much I'm pondering wether or not to throw in some run commutes and use the neighbouring pub to shower!

Southernsig

I’m sure the LOM will love that.
Down my way one or two were told in no uncertain terms
Not sure I'd fancy it, but it does happen.

We're awaiting a chap on secondment who currently spends his working week sleeping in the back of his (admittedly pimped) van in a ROC car park! And didn't Tom Q mention that TVSC had a dedicated camping area when he was there?

Not just larger boxes, either. I once visited Oxford PSB and noticed a fairly swish static caravan parked next door. It turned out to be a Welsh resident's 'working' digs.
If by pimped you mean a chequered bonnet bra :lol:

Danc87

lol was definitely thinking more bnb if the commute to rough until something closer come up lol possibly even relocating eventually

Hazzie9

A simple question if you don't mind. I'm trying to plan my start date and finances. Could someone please let me know when the next Network Rail pay day is. Thanks...

Hooshie

Hi, I have a question. I’ve applied for a signallers job, and have an interview. I know you have to do the initial 12 week training, but has anybody failed it, and what happens to those who do? I already work for NR on the tools, so if I failed would I be released from the company or kicked back out into track? Not saying that I’m not confident and I expect to fail, just be good to have all bases covered!

Danc87

can someone tell me what sort of shift patterns they do on 12 hour rosters please! also how much holiday a year etc please I currently work 12hour shifts we do 3nights 3 off 3 days 6 off but with only 3 flexible holidays a year

Cavan

can someone tell me what sort of shift patterns they do on 12 hour rosters please! also how much holiday a year etc please I currently work 12hour shifts we do 3nights 3 off 3 days 6 off but with only 3 flexible holidays a year

This is often asked - have you searched and/or read through this (and other signalling career) whole thread? Several people have posted examples of their 12hr rosters.

headshot119

Established Member

Various example rosters

Code:
O = Sunday Off
E = Early
L = Late
R = Rest Day

12 Hour Roster

S M T W T F S
O L L L R R R
E E E E R R R
O R R R L L L
L R R R E E E

8 Hour Roster (No Nights [2 Sunday shifts])

S M T W T F S
E E E E E R R
O R R L L L L
L L L R R E E

8 Hour Roster (No Nights [1 Sunday shift])

S M T W T F S
O E E E E R R
O R R L L L L
L L L R R E E

8 Hour Roster (Nights [12 Hour Weekends])

S M T W T F S
E E E E E R R
O R R L L L L
N N N N N N N
O L L R R E E

Leave is 20 days a year for a 12 hour roster (I think, someone else can confirm I'm sure)

Last edited:

nom de guerre

headshot119 said:
Leave is 20 days a year for a 12 hour roster (I think, someone else can confirm I'm sure)

My place is 17/19 (depending on length of service).

Last edited:

Trackboy

Hey guys i have interview coming up for.West midlands signalling center. I have few questions, which i feel you lovely people will be able to help me.

The vacancy says fixed term until 2020. I am not too worried about fixed term just wanted to know is the signalling centre moving to rugby roc?

Secondly what is area covered by WMSC and which toc snd foc operates their.

Thank you.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m glad the fixed term doesn’t worry you, it shouldn’t especially in a ROC/SCC.

WMSC moving to Rugby ROC...how long is a piece of string ? They’ve not long moved two large sections of the former New Street PSB into WMSC, with the final part (New Street it’s self) in there in the next year or so.
I’d say on that form, WMSC will stay for a long time.

Others will be able to correct or expand but my understanding is WMSC covers:
Fringe with Gloucester Panel near Ashchurch in Worcestershire up to fringes with Droitwich Spa and Worcester area Signal Boxes.

The line from New Street (fringe with New St PSB) to the fringe with Rugby ROC at Penkeridge Junction our Stafford way.

All the way from Birmingham Snow Hill down to the fringe south of Banbury with Marlybone PSB and Thames Valley SC.

Birmingham Proof House down to the fringe with Rugby SCC between Rugby & Coventry - over to Nuneaton again fringe with Rugby SCC.

Birmingham Proof house out to Nuneaton via Hinckley fringe as above.

Birmingham Proof House to Kingsbury on the line to Derby fringe with East Midlands RoC.

I’m not sure about the lines from Washwood Heath round to Bescot though..

TOC & FOC wise, probably easier to say which ones don’t pass through to be honest.

I believe all workstations are WestCad with grades ranging from 6 to 10 (SSM), in aurw New St will be a 9 desk when it arrives.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi, I have a question. I’ve applied for a signallers job, and have an interview. I know you have to do the initial 12 week training, but has anybody failed it, and what happens to those who do? I already work for NR on the tools, so if I failed would I be released from the company or kicked back out into track? Not saying that I’m not confident and I expect to fail, just be good to have all bases covered!

I’ve known of at least three people who have failed at various points signaling school.

Two went back and completed it without issue and later passed into the grades.
The third had to resist three times, but later went on to pass out in a slightly lower grade.

Once your in the grade, I’m now sure you can go back to your former role if you fail. They’ll so all they can to coach you through from what I’ve seen.

The key is, study hard, don’t get pissed every night, use the notes you’ve taken in class and make use of the Sim - you’ll be fine.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I know of a truly dreadful trainee who failed the school twice and had their employment terminated as a result, but they had come as an external candidate from outside the rail industry.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I know of a truly dreadful trainee who failed the school twice and had their employment terminated as a result, but they had come as an external candidate from outside the rail industry.

I think that’s rhe key, being bloody awful with an extremely poor attitude. Show willing, and have a real proper reason why you’ve struggled and you should be okay.

But, be aware that LOMs are under no obligation to get you back on a 2nd course...