• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeGrimpeur

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on this thread. I’ve been offered a signaller role.

Particularly @nom de guerre @Tom Quinne who were really helpful. Hooefully I’ll be able to pass on some knowledge in the future to those coming up.

TRain87

Lol no meal relief in single manned boxes. You eat when you can, you go to toilet when you can

gareth386

Hi guys, been a long time since I posted on here. It’s been a great journey so far. I’m currently in signal school week 7 and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Apart from the stress of the assessments obviously. I’d like to say thanks to everyone on here that has helped me with my journey. The guys in Wimbledon ASC are great and very helpful. The course is definitely not easy so once you get in make sure you knuckle down as the course takes no prisoners. Just finished my third practical assessment and have completed the week 3 and week 6 exam so just preparing for the final week 11 and week 12 assessments. Once again guys thanks for all your help. Oh yeah special mention to Choochoobacca and glenblade who are on the course with me. Really top guys and couldn’t get through this course without them!

Makes life a lot easier if you're lucky enough to be with a good group. We had a good who all helped each other and all got along. Others there the same time as us didn't, lots of bitching and mini groups formed and you could tell things were difficult because of the atmosphere and body language that some had. It's hard enough being away from family & friends and being sat in a classroom all day frying your brain, I for one would have struggled with a bad atmosphere etc.

Judochop

It's in the process of being arranged. Having just taken on extra relief signallers.
Thanks Dannygee i thought I read some where something about this. But i didn't want to say anything incase I had it completely wrong.

DanH

Hi all, hope you are well, brand new to this site!

Somebody mentioned answering their NTS questions using the “STAR” method.

Can anybody give me an info on what this technique is by any chance?

Many thanks

Last edited:

bouff34

Hi,

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the contributors on here. This thread contains pretty much everything you need to know when applying for signaller jobs. Thanks to the forum I am starting in my first role next month. Handed my notice in today, can't wait to get started.

Bouff

Cerebral

Hi guys, been a long time since I posted on here. It’s been a great journey so far. I’m currently in signal school week 7 and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Apart from the stress of the assessments obviously. I’d like to say thanks to everyone on here that has helped me with my journey. The guys in Wimbledon ASC are great and very helpful. The course is definitely not easy so once you get in make sure you knuckle down as the course takes no prisoners. Just finished my third practical assessment and have completed the week 3 and week 6 exam so just preparing for the final week 11 and week 12 assessments. Once again guys thanks for all your help. Oh yeah special mention to Choochoobacca and glenblade who are on the course with me. Really top guys and couldn’t get through this course without them!

Currently just finishing week 10 and can totally agree with all of what is said here. You get a little breather week 8 and 9 (slightly) then it ramps up again! Best of luck all you guys in your final weeks, keep thread informed how you get on. ;)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It’s great to see so many people in school, or waiting courses !

Welcome to the best kept secret on the railway !

Jaysub

Just got the invite for
Ass 2 pending and been trying for a year to get in network
Rail...does that mean i could have interview???

Jaysub

And does anybody have any advice for the interview,iv been told to wear a suit and mention the 8 non skills?

Narom

And does anybody have any advice for the interview,iv been told to wear a suit and mention the 8 non skills?

Well done.

Essentially that's it. Apply star method to each one of them, try and have examples.

Also research the box, route TOCs/FOCS, and Network Rail itself and any taglines it may have.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I personally hired a well dapper suit, first impressions really count.

Get at least two good solid competence examples to each of the NTS areas.

As Narom says, get some background to the location, route, network rail in general and services though the area.

Jaysub

Appreciate the help people,iv already visited the box last year,jist need to get some exsmples going now

Peterperfect

Hi all, hope you are well, brand new to this site!

Somebody mentioned answering their NTS questions using the “STAR” method.

Can anybody give me an info on what this technique is by any chance?

Many thanks

Situation, task, action, result. The situation, task, action, result (STAR) format is a technique used by interviewers to gather all the relevant information about a specific capability that the job requires.

Jaysub

Does anyone have any idea what questions i will be asked in the interview?