• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

headshot119

Established Member
Hi all,

Can anyone share some info on what a grade 4 might be pulling each month on a 12 hour roster?

Even some info on a grade 3 standard wage would be great

Assuming it is open 24 hours, and you work all your booked Sunday turns, £43,000 a year before tax for grade 4.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SJCembre

Assuming it is open 24 hours, and you work all your booked Sunday turns, £43,000 a year before tax for grade 4.

What would we be talking during the period of training do you think? I understand that whilst attending training school you are paid a grade lower than the actual post your working towards.

Cheers

SJCembre

What kind of commutes are people undertaking to reach their signal boxes?

I know some of you lucky souls are up the road from your boxes but are there any of you travelling over an hour to reach base?

High Dyke

Established Member
What kind of commutes are people undertaking to reach their signal boxes?

I know some of you lucky souls are up the road from your boxes but are there any of you travelling over an hour to reach base?
As a Relief Signalman it can vary for me. Nearest location to home is about 10 minutes, but the furthest is 1 hr 40 mins away. That said I live 15 miles from my base location (base location only for admin and roster premium calculation purposes).

SJCembre

As a Relief Signalman it can vary for me. Nearest location to home is about 10 minutes, but the furthest is 1 hr 40 mins away. That said I live 15 miles from my base location (base location only for admin and roster premium calculation purposes).

That’s interesting to know thank you, I have some applications open for various boxes less than 2 hours commute from my home hence why I asked the question regarding other people’s commute.

I am not aware if the distance you have to commute could affect an application if your close to 90 minutes or so from the box you have applied for. Would you know anything regarding this?

I am trying to weigh up the fatigue factors,

The closest box is 19 miles that I have applied for however the furthest is 79 miles, the closest being a grade 4 and the others grade 9!

Rockhopper

Think about it from your perspective though - would you really want to do a 12 hour shift then have a two hour drive home? - I know thats one of the reasons that the LOMs up here have been resisting 12 hour shifts - they don't believe staff will be getting sufficient rest between shifts. It'd be fairly gutting after an eight hour shift as well!

High Dyke

Established Member
That’s interesting to know thank you, I have some applications open for various boxes less than 2 hours commute from my home hence why I asked the question regarding other people’s commute.

I am not aware if the distance you have to commute could affect an application if your close to 90 minutes or so from the box you have applied for. Would you know anything regarding this?

I am trying to weigh up the fatigue factors,

The closest box is 19 miles that I have applied for however the furthest is 79 miles, the closest being a grade 4 and the others grade 9!
Ordinarily, that choice would be down to you. I've known a few colleagues travel the 100 odd miles or so to London in the past. As Rockhopper says you need to look at it from your perspective and what works best to give a you a sensible work / life balance.

Think about it from your perspective though - would you really want to do a 12 hour shift then have a two hour drive home? - I know thats one of the reasons that the LOMs up here have been resisting 12 hour shifts - they don't believe staff will be getting sufficient rest between shifts. It'd be fairly gutting after an eight hour shift as well!
Am currently going through negotiations for 12's in my area - albeit slowly. One of the great unknowns is the revised fatigue management standard that Network Rail are proposing, including a 12 hour door-to-door policy.

SJCembre

Ordinarily, that choice would be down to you. I've known a few colleagues travel the 100 odd miles or so to London in the past. As Rockhopper says you need to look at it from your perspective and what works best to give a you a sensible work / life balance.

Am currently going through negotiations for 12's in my area - albeit slowly. One of the great unknowns is the revised fatigue management standard that Network Rail are proposing, including a 12 hour door-to-door policy.

I completely understand regarding the commute after 12 hours work, providing it was a 12 hour X 3 a week it wouldn’t bother me to much due to the amount of rest time afterwards!

I know they were trying to enforce the fatigue standard more on my local ECO’s and they struggled as well as some signallers in the area as it’s on the corridor into London they were never going to achieve the standard and ensure people were achieving less than 14 hours door to door.

P200E

I completely understand regarding the commute after 12 hours work, providing it was a 12 hour X 3 a week it wouldn’t bother me to much due to the amount of rest time afterwards

I know they were trying to enforce the fatigue standard more on my local ECO’s and they struggled as well as some signallers in the area as it’s on the corridor into London they were never going to achieve the standard and ensure people were achieving less than 14 hours door to door.
I completely understand regarding the commute after 12 hours work, providing it was a 12 hour X 3 a week it wouldn’t bother me to much due to the amount of rest time afterwards!

Some people stay in accommodation of whatever sort B and B’s, caravans etc and stay near their box until their rest days etc

Highlandspring

Established Member
I used to drive an hour and a half each way, which was not too bad on 8 hour turns but I found it difficult at the weekends as those were 12 hours. It was particularly tough on nights when driving home to sleep. I certainly wouldn’t want to live any further away than that...

Adam1687

Good afternoon,

Have recently applied for signaller in York, I am currently employed and am really new to this but very intrigued, I have received the email for the 3 tests which am yet to do, maths and English aren’t my strongest qualities and after reading the comments on this forum quite nervous regarding the training all seems very daunting and is a big risk to leave a stable job to then go into training that your not guaranteed to get a job at the end.

Just a question regarding pay while the training really .....is there any? As i will have to leave job if successful and go into the training this would take a big hit considering my wife and I have our child due in January, also would they honour this?

Thanks in advance

ChrisRS

Good afternoon,

Have recently applied for signaller in York, I am currently employed and am really new to this but very intrigued, I have received the email for the 3 tests which am yet to do, maths and English aren’t my strongest qualities and after reading the comments on this forum quite nervous regarding the training all seems very daunting and is a big risk to leave a stable job to then go into training that your not guaranteed to get a job at the end.

Just a question regarding pay while the training really .....is there any? As i will have to leave job if successful and go into the training this would take a big hit considering my wife and I have our child due in January, also would they honour this?

Thanks in advance

Pay during the 12 week training is the pay grade below the position you've been offered.

Rockhopper

You are guaranteed a job at the end of your training assuming you pass the training. I believe the next available places at signalling school will be March next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if that gets pushed back further unless they can get more trainers on board.

Mikesig

What would we be talking during the period of training do you think? I understand that whilst attending training school you are paid a grade lower than the actual post your working towards.

Cheers

As you have a grade 4 post, you will be paid at grade 3 rate whilst at signalling school and until you have been passed out to work the box.

During that time you will not work Sundays or nights so would receive £32,166.21 pa which is £2,474.35 every 4 weeks.

Depending upon your distance from signalling school, if you had to travel on the Sunday each week you would be paid £26.51 per hour (usually 4, 6 or 8 hours depending on the actual travelling time).

All these figures are before tax and NI is deducted.

gareth386

As you have a grade 4 post, you will be paid at grade 3 rate whilst at signalling school and until you have been passed out to work the box.

During that time you will not work Sundays or nights so would receive £32,166.21 pa which is £2,474.35 every 4 weeks.

Depending upon your distance from signalling school, if you had to travel on the Sunday each week you would be paid £26.51 per hour (usually 4, 6 or 8 hours depending on the actual travelling time).

All these figures are before tax and NI is deducted.

I thought that you get paid normal hourly rate for Sunday travelling, not Sunday rate.

Peterperfect

Good afternoon,

Thanks in advance

1. You wont score high enough to get an interview if your maths and English aren't good enough.
2. If you did get in the 12 week course is really heavy going and there is a possibility if you do not pass it you will be cut loose.

You decide if you want to risk it not us or network rail

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
No. You get Sunday rate for travelling on a Sunday.

We’ve a few people in school at the moment, the roster states Sunday Travelling - standard rate. I think it depends on route and LOM whether you get Sunday rate or not.

Liam Toner

Hi, just looking for a little help...
I have an interview next week for a grade 2 signaller in Middlesbrough - just wondering if anyone knows where I can find out any info regarding the box?
I have also read online that interviews may include the 8 non technical skills, yet I cannot find them on the NR website and the recruitment team did not mention these when I called.
Just looking for some info on the interview and the job if possible.
As many hints and tips are welcome lol
Thanks

Highlandspring

Established Member
The eight non technical skills acknowledged by Network Rail are -

1) Attention management: the ability to remain alert and focussed.

2) Communications: the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.

3) Conscientiousness: the ability to work diligently with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for your own actions.

4) Controlled under pressure: the ability to remain calm and cope in emergency or degraded situations.

5) Multi-tasking: the ability to carry out more than one task at a time.

6) Planning and decision making: the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise work activities.

7) Relationships with others: the ability to work with others in the team and provide support and help when needed.

8) Willingness and ability to learn: the ability and motivation to be trained and to retain and apply information in the work environment.

ChrisRS

Hi, just looking for a little help...
I have an interview next week for a grade 2 signaller in Middlesbrough - just wondering if anyone knows where I can find out any info regarding the box?
I have also read online that interviews may include the 8 non technical skills, yet I cannot find them on the NR website and the recruitment team did not mention these when I called.
Just looking for some info on the interview and the job if possible.
As many hints and tips are welcome lol
Thanks

It's Middlesbrough Crag Hall box, you can search it on Google. You could be asked about the location/box, 8 NTS questions, safety vision and life saving rules. Read up on them. Search for the NTS questions on the forum there are a few threads stating what they are on.

Qball

When talking about the safety vision try to mention the life saving rules shows them that you've actually researched the job. At my interview they really impressed I knew about them.

SignallerJohn

1. You wont score high enough to get an interview if your maths and English aren't good enough.
2. If you did get in the 12 week course is really heavy going and there is a possibility if you do not pass it you will be cut loose.

You decide if you want to risk it not us or network rail
He who dares Rodney!

ROCsteadycrew

I have received a standard rejection letter for a signaller position today. Normally they give a reason why the application has been rejected in the letter eg. better candidate identified, not a match for role requirements. Today my email said -

"Thank you for your recent application for the above position.
All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion
we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:
Progress Application
Thank you for your interest in the position. We encourage you to search our job site for other
potential opportunities."

Could somebody clarify why it says "progress application" when the opposite appears to be true?

Thank you.