• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Defenestrate

I have received a standard rejection letter for a signaller position today. Normally they give a reason why the application has been rejected in the letter eg. better candidate identified, not a match for role requirements. Today my email said -

"Thank you for your recent application for the above position.
All applications were reviewed against role specific criteria. Unfortunately on this occasion
we won't be taking your application any further due to the following reason:
Progress Application
Thank you for your interest in the position. We encourage you to search our job site for other
potential opportunities."

Could somebody clarify why it says "progress application" when the opposite appears to be true?

Thank you.

I am not 100% sure - but i got the same rejection today for IRC2155884, York, Barton Hill. My app was at "Application under consideration for assessment 2" before being rejected. However, IRC2157864 which is also for York Barton Hill went to "Invite to Assessment 2 Pending" at the same time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ROCsteadycrew

I am not 100% sure - but i got the same rejection today for IRC2155884, York, Barton Hill. My app was at "Application under consideration for assessment 2" before being rejected. However, IRC2157864 which is also for York Barton Hill went to "Invite to Assessment 2 Pending" at the same time.

Good luck with the interview!

Defenestrate

Good luck with the interview!

Thanks!
My point to your original question was that there may be 2 "different" jobs that were advertised, and they have decided to remove the duplicate to avoid confusion. I don't know how it works, but it would seem like a possibility. Perhaps that happened to you in a similar scenario?

ROCsteadycrew

Thanks!
My point to your original question was that there may be 2 "different" jobs that were advertised, and they have decided to remove the duplicate to avoid confusion. I don't know how it works, but it would seem like a possibility. Perhaps that happened to you in a similar scenario?
I've had the same email for two different boxes (that are not close to each other), both with "progress application" on them. What you say is certainly possible but would they use that terminology? I've seen ones that were cancelled for other reasons and the reason they give on the email reflects this eg. job removed.

Defenestrate

I've had the same email for two different boxes (that are not close to each other), both with "progress application" on them. What you say is certainly possible but would they use that terminology? I've seen ones that were cancelled for other reasons and the reason they give on the email reflects this eg. job removed.

Ah ok, i'm not sure then...maybe someone is pressing the wrong button!

Littlestu

Just had another sorry email but the reason was ' progress application' normally its others more suitable. Anyone know what this means?

LincsBobby

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone that's contributed to this forum, with the help of all the advice on here I've been lucky enough to be offered a position in Three Bridges.

I'm waiting for a date now for signaller school now and am becoming a bit concerned about a few comments I've seen about people failing the training. Just hoping for any advice / reassurance / tips / what to expect when I get there?

I've currently just finished week 3 of signalling school. In my personal experience, having no previous railway background, i've found it very hard so far. The sheer pace of the course is extremely fast. You learn a subject in class and it's straight onto the next subject. I've had to put hours into revising into every evening as well. We all have pretty much in my class. Been told that weeks 4 to 6 it doesnt slow down and if anything just ramps up even more.
All i can say is be prepared for your life to go on hold for 12 or 13 weeks depending on which signalling system your box uses. Be prepared to work very hard and have no or very little time on the evenings. Prepare any family you may be leaving at home for it as well because that side of it is hard too (being away all week and having to do revising on weekends).
Despite all this i'm determined to keep up the hard work and i'm looking forward to starting when i pass the course

Just had another sorry email but the reason was ' progress application' normally its others more suitable. Anyone know what this means?
It probably means the person that normally sends the emails out is on holiday. I don’t think you need to read too much into it.

Northern_lite

Hi all, I’m just wondering if anyone had a medical recently and how long they had to wait back for a reply?

Habitat

I've currently just finished week 3 of signalling school. In my personal experience, having no previous railway background, i've found it very hard so far. The sheer pace of the course is extremely fast. You learn a subject in class and it's straight onto the next subject. I've had to put hours into revising into every evening as well. We all have pretty much in my class. Been told that weeks 4 to 6 it doesnt slow down and if anything just ramps up even more.
All i can say is be prepared for your life to go on hold for 12 or 13 weeks depending on which signalling system your box uses. Be prepared to work very hard and have no or very little time on the evenings. Prepare any family you may be leaving at home for it as well because that side of it is hard too (being away all week and having to do revising on weekends).
Despite all this i'm determined to keep up the hard work and i'm looking forward to starting when i pass the course

Thank you for the further insight.
I'm due to start at York on 4 Nov and have pretty much prepared myself and my family as you have suggested.
I took a two week residential course last year for a forklift instructor qualification and everything went on hold for the revision required.
I guess from your nickname your an ex Lincolnshire PC.
I'm in Boston, which box are you training for?

Saracen_83

Signalling school is tough and 1-2 hours per night whilst you’re there is essential to pass the course...... upto week 6 is hard as it is all new stuff, post week 6, a lot of what you learn makes sense and the “jigsaw puzzle” begins to fit and makes sense... hence why they say weeks 7-10 are less stressful. As it all relates back to previous learning.

Use the weekends off to relax and be with your family. It a tough 12 weeks being away from your family and they need you when you home. Yes revise, but put them first when your home. It’s all About work/life balance.

Good luck!!

Habitat

Signalling school is tough and 1-2 hours per night whilst you’re there is essential to pass the course...... upto week 6 is hard as it is all new stuff, post week 6, a lot of what you learn makes sense and the “jigsaw puzzle” begins to fit and makes sense... hence why they say weeks 7-10 are less stressful. As it all relates back to previous learning.

Use the weekends off to relax and be with your family. It a tough 12 weeks being away from your family and they need you when you home. Yes revise, but put them first when your home. It’s all About work/life balance.

Good luck!!

More great advice
Many thanks
Much appreciated

GingerRH

You must’ve been lucky, everyone on my course last year including me just got standard hourly rate for travelling to signalling school

Just had a look at my dockets. I got single rate.

We’ve a few people in school at the moment, the roster states Sunday Travelling - standard rate. I think it depends on route and LOM whether you get Sunday rate or not.

That doesn’t sound right to me. I’d be questioning it and also be on to the local rep! You’re technically working therefore, as per your contract of employment, should be getting paid Sunday rate. You’ll soon learn that if you want anything, you have to stand up and be counted!

Pretty sure the guys who just got back from school were getting paid Sunday rate!

Saracen_83

That doesn’t sound right to me. I’d be questioning it and also be on to the local rep! You’re technically working therefore, as per your contract of employment, should be getting paid Sunday rate. You’ll soon learn that if you want anything, you have to stand up and be counted!

Pretty sure the guys who just got back from school were getting paid Sunday rate!

I wish!!

Those on my panel 2-3 years before were only paid standard as well so just presumed it was the norm... as Tom said above, perhaps it LOM/area specific!!

GingerRH

I wish!!

Those on my panel 2-3 years before were only paid standard as well so just presumed it was the norm... as Tom said above, perhaps it LOM/area specific!!

Everyone on my course was paid Sunday rate and that was 2 years ago and we had people from all over the country.

Definitely worth chasing up..

North123

Hi quick question,

I am going to be doing semaphore absolute block/electric token block signalling so will I just get trained on that type of signalling?

Highlandspring

Established Member
It’s up to you LOM whether (s)he wants to pay for you to do the TCB add on at the end of an AB course. If you don’t do the TCB bit and eventually move to a box where it’s needed you’ll have to go back to school again to be converted. ETB doesn’t have a course so you’ll have to just pick that up in the box.

Tjd117

Morning Folks, new to the forum but wanted to say thanks for all the info that people have contributed over time, it’s really helped with the application stages so far with a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips! :)

Is there anyone on here who works at WMSC and can confirm if they work the 8 or 12 hr shift pattern please?

Many thanks

headshot119

Established Member
Hi quick question,

I am going to be doing semaphore absolute block/electric token block signalling so will I just get trained on that type of signalling?

I wonder if you're in a box near to me?

There's no ETB course, you'll just do AB and pick up the differences when you get back.

PM if you want to discuss further.

LincsBobby

Thank you for the further insight.
I'm due to start at York on 4 Nov and have pretty much prepared myself and my family as you have suggested.
I took a two week residential course last year for a forklift instructor qualification and everything went on hold for the revision required.
I guess from your nickname your an ex Lincolnshire PC.
I'm in Boston, which box are you training for?

No mate a bobby is what signallers were called back in the day. I'll be working the lincolnshire area when i pass out. Glad your mentally ready. You learning absolute block at signalling school???

J-Rail

No mate a bobby is what signallers were called back in the day. I'll be working the lincolnshire area when i pass out. Glad your mentally ready. You learning absolute block at signalling school???
Out of interest LincsBobby, how did they get the nickname? I'm a special in lincs, from nnily enough! Obviously we got the name from Robert Peele who founded the police, so where did Bobby come from in the railway?

Sunset route

Out of interest LincsBobby, how did they get the nickname? I'm a special in lincs, from nnily enough! Obviously we got the name from Robert Peele who founded the police, so where did Bobby come from in the railway?

In very broad terms, the railway policeman employed to protect all these new fan dangled railway things in the early days, were given a task of keeping those trains thingies apart.

Tjd117

Interestingly the railways and ports had police officers prior to the creation of Sir Robert Peels force, so there is a chance that either the term bobby was adopted after time into the railways or the term was already used by railway police and found its way into county/met policing circles. Signallers were I believe originally employed as Policemen and charged with the scheduling and signalling of services etc. There was significantly more due to the technology of the time and often they’d need to be within line of sight for using flags and lamps. I think as the role developed they later branched out to keep order between workers on the new lines being built etc. I’m sure there will be a history some where online

Habitat

Gotcha!
Yep, absolute block for 11 weeks at York, then a week at Westwood for TCB.
Interesting reading the posts re Sun rate for travelling, are you getting it?
Where in Lincs will you be covering?

J-Rail

Interestingly the railways and ports had police officers prior to the creation of Sir Robert Peels force, so there is a chance that either the term bobby was adopted after time into the railways or the term was already used by railway police and found its way into county/met policing circles. Signallers were I believe originally employed as Policemen and charged with the scheduling and signalling of services etc. There was significantly more due to the technology of the time and often they’d need to be within line of sight for using flags and lamps. I think as the role developed they later branched out to keep order between workers on the new lines being built etc. I’m sure there will be a history some where online
Very interesting! You learn something new everyday as they say!! Will have to have a deeper look into it!

Defenestrate

For past interviews I've researched the 8 non-technical skills, safety vision and done my preparation ready to give examples etc - my interviews seemed to go pretty well, but i've not (yet) been successful. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to go from "good" to "excellent" in the interview? Or is it a case of continue with good answers/examples until you succeed?

nom de guerre

+1

My first LOM initially refused to pay me Sunday rate for travel time, but was forced to relent once the union got involved.