• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

WestCoast88

Hi, I’ve been offered a role at a Grade 2 signal box in Scotland. It’s a fair drop in wages from my current job. Just wondering what the take home pay is per month at a Grade 2 box including shift allowance and 2 rostered Sunday’s. Anyone who can help please?

Congrats! What box was this for and when did you find out? Did they call or email you? Do you know when you start school?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signalgirl

Thanks for your replies nom de guerre and Tom, it’s been helpful. I did get some feedback from my last interview, and obvious as it sounds, I hadn’t really brushed up on the rules relevant to that area. All the interviews I’ve had since becoming a signaller have been locally so I’d been so focussed on being word perfect on rules I’d been asked previously, it honestly hadn’t occurred that the questions would be so different in each area, AB/TCB differences aside.

With regards to spending time in higher grade boxes, I’ve been to a couple locally, but as I’m having to move completely out of area and signal boxes vary around the country so much, it’s hard to know what to expect. Again this makes it hard to know what rules to read up on pre-interview as I’m a good six hours away from where I’m looking to move to (Manchester/Cheshire way) so box visits are really only possible the day of or day before the actual interview. In terms of securing another position, I’m able to get time off for interviews, subject to cover, but there’s no guarantee whatsoever of a permanent position. It’s quite stressful, which really doesn’t help ease the pressure at interview!

Ideally I’d wait for the ‘perfect’ vacancy to come up, something grade 3-5 maybe but given the very real possibility of unemployment by February I feel like I need to apply for whatever I can.

I’m considering applying for a grade 6 at Heaton Norris and a grade 7 at Crewe PSB so if anyone has any experience of working these boxes, your help would be appreciated!

ChrisRS

Another more suitable person email. 2 still at test passed. Starting to think im not going to be getting in. Maybe my age of almost 50 could be going against me or maybe its my test score. 18 months and every application ends the same way.

They won't discriminate on age, like you said your test score may not be high enough. You may want to retake the test try aim for a higher overall score to improve your chances.

Ian Smeeton

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks for your replies nom de guerre and Tom, it’s been helpful. I did get some feedback from my last interview, and obvious as it sounds, I hadn’t really brushed up on the rules relevant to that area. All the interviews I’ve had since becoming a signaller have been locally so I’d been so focussed on being word perfect on rules I’d been asked previously, it honestly hadn’t occurred that the questions would be so different in each area, AB/TCB differences aside.

With regards to spending time in higher grade boxes, I’ve been to a couple locally, but as I’m having to move completely out of area and signal boxes vary around the country so much, it’s hard to know what to expect. Again this makes it hard to know what rules to read up on pre-interview as I’m a good six hours away from where I’m looking to move to (Manchester/Cheshire way) so box visits are really only possible the day of or day before the actual interview. In terms of securing another position, I’m able to get time off for interviews, subject to cover, but there’s no guarantee whatsoever of a permanent position. It’s quite stressful, which really doesn’t help ease the pressure at interview!

Ideally I’d wait for the ‘perfect’ vacancy to come up, something grade 3-5 maybe but given the very real possibility of unemployment by February I feel like I need to apply for whatever I can.

I’m considering applying for a grade 6 at Heaton Norris and a grade 7 at Crewe PSB so if anyone has any experience of working these boxes, your help would be appreciated!

I’m sure I’ve seen jobs in Manchester ROC come up fairly recently, interviews depend on the area when I had my grade 9 interview (internally) it was the same as my external interview for grade 7 coming off the street.

But when I went grade 7 to 7 although out of route the interview was totally different (much easier) it was all rules and what would you do in this situation type stuff.

I can’t believe they could refuse to release you for an interview considering your situation, if your refused leave to attend I would contact your Rep.

Crewe PSB seems like one of those places you never hear about, I’m not totally convinced they really exist lol

JoTheSlow

Hi,

Apologies if this info is within the forum already, but I had a peek and couldn't see anything.

Dorking SB: what grade is it please and are they 8's or 12's? Also is it located at Dorking Station or elsewhere?

I've seen a vacancy come up so any info at all on the box would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Apologies if this info is within the forum already, but I had a peek and couldn't see anything.

Dorking SB: what grade is it please and are they 8's or 12's? Also is it located at Dorking Station or elsewhere?

I've seen a vacancy come up so any info at all on the box would be greatly appreciated!

According to the NR website, its a grade 4 but that's all I know

JoTheSlow

@MostlyHarmless many thanks for the reply, helpful to know.

One other thing: where I work we do 12's and so every 3 months or so get a random couple of paid days off when we were supposed to be rostered on, to even up our hours.

If we then work these days as OT do we in effect get paid twice? Just as we were getting paid for it anyways, but now we're working it? Been offered my two days off as OT but don't really see the point unless i get double as otherwise I'm getting paid the same to work as I would be to not work.

Thanks for any advice!

Stodge

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed info on here. It's been a massive help to me preparing for a recent interview.
Does anyone know roughly what a roster would look like for a box that does 12 hours on weekdays and is shut on weekend nights ( I think they are 9 hour shifts Sat & 7 hour shifts Sun)
Thanks once again and I'll pass on any help I can

headshot119

Established Member
@MostlyHarmless many thanks for the reply, helpful to know.

One other thing: where I work we do 12's and so every 3 months or so get a random couple of paid days off when we were supposed to be rostered on, to even up our hours.

If we then work these days as OT do we in effect get paid twice? Just as we were getting paid for it anyways, but now we're working it? Been offered my two days off as OT but don't really see the point unless i get double as otherwise I'm getting paid the same to work as I would be to not work.

Thanks for any advice!

The "extra" rest days (They're not really extra are they, they just keep the roster averaged at 35 hours over so many weeks) would be paid at the usual rest day rate. So they're certainly worth doing from that point of view.

Chumba

Hi,

Don't know the shifts, but if you google it there's loads of information and pictures about it. Its at Dorking Station, old lever frame type and quite busy, covers SWR and Southern routes.

Sunset route

Hi,

Dorking is a 8hr box rotating through a 4 weekly rotation 4 times for 16wks in total to allow the hours to balance out for the 35hr working week plus allowing a days to be released for the briefing/assessment days.

Kauto5

Hi everyone.

Brilliant thread this for those like me on the outside of the industry looking to get in. Thank you to everyone who contributes and offers so much help for us hopefulls.

From what I can gather, is it only network rail where signaller jobs are advertised? I've recently found a trainee signalling engineer vacancy in Manchester on Indeed Jobs, probably a stupid question but is that a completely different job?

Littlestu

Im wanting to retake my online tests to improve my score. Anyone know if its NR i email or is there a company that do the tests? TIA

Rockhopper

I didn’t think you could retake them. Makes it a bit pointless if you can have multiple goes at it really!

Saracen_83

Im wanting to retake my online tests to improve my score. Anyone know if its NR i email or is there a company that do the tests? TIA

You can retake them, but you have to wait 12 months to retake them (I saw someone mention 6 months earlier on forum) as they hold these scores for 12 months any job you apply for these scores will be used

JMH77

You can retake them, but you have to wait 12 months to retake them (I saw someone mention 6 months earlier on forum) as they hold these scores for 12 months any job you apply for these scores will be used

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months or so your scores are held for 12 months but you can email HR and ask to re-take the tests after 6 months. They should then email you links to complete them again, the results of which would then be used for any future applications. Just beware that in the event you performed worse the second time these are the scores that would be used.

Littlestu

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months or so your scores are held for 12 months but you can email HR and ask to re-take the tests after 6 months. They should then email you links to complete them again, the results of which would then be used for any future applications. Just beware that in the event you performed worse the second time these are the scores that would be used.

It was August last year I first took them and getting nowhere since so think maybe ive got nothing to lose by retaking them.

Thanks

ljmac

Just had my start date confirmed.
I wonder if anyone could shed any light on this for me.
I'm to report to a signal box on my start date, which is a Monday. Theres no mention of when school starts. I would assume at the very earliest it wont be until the following monday?

What will I be doing in the meantime?
Cant wait to get started!

Thanks

ChrisRS

Just had my start date confirmed.
I wonder if anyone could shed any light on this for me.
I'm to report to a signal box on my start date, which is a Monday. Theres no mention of when school starts. I would assume at the very earliest it wont be until the following monday?

What will I be doing in the meantime?
Cant wait to get started!

Thanks

I was told I'd be starting a week before signal school. Not sure what you'll be doing, I'd imagine general paper work etc

EAHornby

Hi there, I've recently been offered a signaller position... I'm completely chuffed to say the least but I have a couple of concerns and wondered if anyone could offer some advice. Basically, during my interview I was told that the box I'd applied for would be closing at some point next year and be controlled from York and they could only offer the job role as a 12 month contract. It didn't mention any of this in the original job advert when I applied.

So my question is should I take the job, as it's a chance to get my foot in the door, and worry about what happens at the end of the 12 month contract later, or is it too much of a risk and will I end up out of a job at the end of next year?

It feels like such a huge achievement to have made it through the selection and interview process but knowing I'll have to do it all over again in 12 months, with no guarantees, feels a bit daunting.

Habitat

I'm going to try and learn the bell codes before signaller school.
Wise move?
If so, what is the best way you have found to learn them?

Signalgirl

Hi there, I've recently been offered a signaller position... I'm completely chuffed to say the least but I have a couple of concerns and wondered if anyone could offer some advice. Basically, during my interview I was told that the box I'd applied for would be closing at some point next year and be controlled from York and they could only offer the job role as a 12 month contract. It didn't mention any of this in the original job advert when I applied.

So my question is should I take the job, as it's a chance to get my foot in the door, and worry about what happens at the end of the 12 month contract later, or is it too much of a risk and will I end up out of a job at the end of next year?

It feels like such a huge achievement to have made it through the selection and interview process but knowing I'll have to do it all over again in 12 months, with no guarantees, feels a bit daunting.

This is exactly the situation I’m in at the moment. I applied for my position and was told at interview that the whole area was due to be resignalled the following year. It didn’t run to time so by the time my contract finishes I’ll have been with network rail for 22 months. For me it is very much a case of being left to find another position myself, although we are guaranteed interviews for non-signalling jobs locally, such as S&T work, lookout positions etc.

If you’re willing to move anywhere in the country, I’d say it would be relatively easy to find a new position. There are far more vacancies advertised internally than externally. Obviously it might be different for you and there may be other signalling positions in your area, but if not, it’s worth thinking about whether you would be willing to relocate. Obviously if you have family or other ties in your area that makes things more difficult.

There is definitely some added stress not being a permanent member of staff, but you should be able to apply for a new position at any time leading up to the end of your contract, which is something I wasn’t aware of. I assumed I would have to wait until a couple of months before it ended to try and line up finishing my old position before starting a new one. Your manager will be able to keep you in your current position until it ends and then release you to your new job. I’m really frustrated nobody told me this as there are numerous opportunities I have passed up as I believed that the start date would be too soon as my contract is until February.

I wish you luck anyway, I’ve really enjoyed my time signalling so far.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'm going to try and learn the bell codes before signaller school.
Wise move?
If so, what is the best way you have found to learn them?

No, wait until school it’s taught the way it is to help you.

Pre learning, or so you think will confuse matters.

EAHornby

This is exactly the situation I’m in at the moment. I applied for my position and was told at interview that the whole area was due to be resignalled the following year. It didn’t run to time so by the time my contract finishes I’ll have been with network rail for 22 months. For me it is very much a case of being left to find another position myself, although we are guaranteed interviews for non-signalling jobs locally, such as S&T work, lookout positions etc.

If you’re willing to move anywhere in the country, I’d say it would be relatively easy to find a new position. There are far more vacancies advertised internally than externally. Obviously it might be different for you and there may be other signalling positions in your area, but if not, it’s worth thinking about whether you would be willing to relocate. Obviously if you have family or other ties in your area that makes things more difficult.

There is definitely some added stress not being a permanent member of staff, but you should be able to apply for a new position at any time leading up to the end of your contract, which is something I wasn’t aware of. I assumed I would have to wait until a couple of months before it ended to try and line up finishing my old position before starting a new one. Your manager will be able to keep you in your current position until it ends and then release you to your new job. I’m really frustrated nobody told me this as there are numerous opportunities I have passed up as I believed that the start date would be too soon as my contract is until February.

I wish you luck anyway, I’ve really enjoyed my time signalling so far.
Thanks for the response Signalgirl. You are in the exact situation I'm worried I'll end up in. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to relocate, my partner is settled in his job and the kids are at school. The box I applied for is perfect, 15 mins down the road and although I'm prepared to travel further, it seems a bit pointless if ultimately all the boxes will be closing and everything locally is moving to York ROC. In hindsight it would have made more sense to apply for a job at York ROC but I'm not sure I've seen any advertised externally... are there many internal vacancies there?

What makes my decision more difficult is that my current job is relatively stable and I'm now questioning whether I should leave it to be thrown into a couple of years of uncertainty and stress. But when you say you've really enjoyed your time signalling so far it makes me want to just go for it!

Good luck to you in your job search, I hope you get something sorted soon.

JMH77

It was August last year I first took them and getting nowhere since so think maybe ive got nothing to lose by retaking them.

Thanks

If it was August last year I would have thought you would be required to take them again anyway.