• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Danny Boy

After 30 year in the police (BTP) I've now got a starting date for my new career as a G5 at Woking,
Thanks once again to everyone who has posted on this forum and to those who DM me with some excellent advice without which I don't think I would have been successful.
Now nervously looking forward to my new career.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midlands_lad

Hello all,

Firstly this forum is absolutely brilliant for information about the role of a signaller and shifts etc, thank you everybody who has contributed!
I am lucky enough to have an interview for a grade 6 job at West Midlands Signalling Centre next Friday, has anybody else applied for this?
I am led to believe this is a rolling recruitment drive for the West Midlands, can anybody shed any light on this please?

Keef

Anybody got any idea if age is much of an issue. I know theoretically the answer is no but I am already retired and looking for a new career.

LOM

Anybody got any idea if age is much of an issue. I know theoretically the answer is no but I am already retired and looking for a new career.

Definitely not an issue. I have guys who started off the street in their late 50s. You can continue to work as long as you keep passing the medicals.

Last edited:

Danny Boy

I don't think it is an issue I will be 52 in April and will be starting in March coming in from the street.

Peterperfect

Not at all. NR really go out their way to comply with equality law. If there are any females reading this thread thinking about a job, go for it. They have a 20 by 20 campaign. 20% females in all parts of the business by the end of 2020.

Back to your point there were trainees in my course in their 40s and 50s.

Keef

Definitely not an issue. I have guys who started off the street in their late 50s. You can continue to work as long as you keep passing the medicals.
Not at all. NR really go out their way to comply with equality law. If there are any females reading this thread thinking about a job, go for it. They have a 20 by 20 campaign. 20% females in all parts of the business by the end of 2020.

Back to your point there were trainees in my course in their 40s and 50s.
Interesting ..thanks but I think I will be pushing the boundaries at 70

LOM

If you can pass the tests interview and medical there is no reason why you cannot get a job as a signaller even at 70.

And you don’t think the cost of training a 70 year old is a waste of money?
Again. No offence

No I don't. If the person is fit and healthy and passes all the same tests as 20 year old then I see no reason why they shouldn't get the job. It's the reason why its illegal in most cases to discriminate on the grounds of age, and if an employer wants to spend that money on training them, then that's their decision.

What if someone who is already in the job - lets say a signaller, reaches 70, do we just sack him?

It's about your ability to do the job and whether you are the best candidate based on that ability.

Amanda

I'm with @MostlyHarmless here. Bear in mind all candidates have to go through a very thorough training course and have medical assessments and that's even assuming they get through the interviews etc in the first place. The recruitment are not going to take on someone if they feel they are unsuitable for the role, and that someone could be 70 or 25.

For the record, no I wouldn’t sack someone reaching 70, but nor would I spend £30,000 (or whatever the figure is) training someone who is at the end of there working life (sorry but it’s fact).
Anyway time to move on from this.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Someone who is 60 or 70 has probably 40 years of experience to bring to the job, there is a lot us young lads can learn from them.

The railway wastes money on all kinds of rubbish, why not invest in someone who wants a late life change of job?

I’m all for equal treatment for all, regardless of protected characteristics - but that’s another murky subject.

Littlestu

I see york ROC are doing an open day in may for future vacancies. What would these entail, would it be dressed smart ie suit or casual smart? Will the jobs be advertised as normal or would you be applying there and then as there seems to be a lot of vacancies coming up. TIA

Defenestrate

I see york ROC are doing an open day in may for future vacancies. What would these entail, would it be dressed smart ie suit or casual smart? Will the jobs be advertised as normal or would you be applying there and then as there seems to be a lot of vacancies coming up. TIA

If in doubt, go smart!

Ian Smeeton

I went to an open day at York ROC just before Christmas.

I dressed in a suit, as did a few others, the rest were smart/casual.

No interview or assessment, but the chance to ask questions, some good, some inane.

With reference to a couple of posts above, I did ask, At 55 am I too old?

The answer was, most definitely not, as they had taken up to 60 y-o witjout any qualms.(and with good results)

I suppose, if you are older than that, and fairly fit, there is no reason not to apply.

Apart from that, even if you have no interest in a vacancy, it is a rare chance to see inside a ROC. The full tour was very informative and interesting.

Regards

Ian

LOM

If they give a job to a 70 year old I’d dread to think how bad the other candidates were. No offence.

You really think a 70 year old should begin a 12 month apprenticeship on the railway?

And you don’t think the cost of training a 70 year old is a waste of money?
Again. No offence
It is made crystal clear to recruiting managers during HR training that discrimination against a protected characteristic such as age is both against Network Rail’s recruiting policy and is illegal and managers can be personally prosecuted and fined for it. If I had a 70 year old in for a vacancy I would not know until the interview (and even in the interview I would not be allowed to ask his or her age) and their age is not allowed to affect my decision either way. I would not have a problem with recruiting a 70 year old as long as they were capable of completing the course and passing out for the box. Judging whether or not that is the case is the hard part.

Last edited:

Hemmy1!

Yeah being straight down the line with recruitment is fine but anyone thinking putting 12 months training in to a 70 year old is a good idea or makes business sense is being a bit silly

johnny0712

Just completed the verbal reasoning test. I completed 15 of 30 questions. Think I should be worried? On most of the questions the answer seemed clear to me, maybe hummed and hawed over a couple.

Mart1n888

Just completed the verbal reasoning test. I completed 15 of 30 questions. Think I should be worried? On most of the questions the answer seemed clear to me, maybe hummed and hawed over a couple.

They will combine the other tests aswell, so hard to say really. Which post did you apply for?

Leafage

Hi Keef,
People retire at different ages depending upon circumstances.
I've been a land surveyor all my working life. I really fancied a change, and having worked on track previously, I thought I'd give it a go.
I've just turned 50, and I like to think I'll bring something to the job with my past experiences.
I find it refreshing that I can take on an apprenticeship at 50 and look forward to the challenge. I'm aware that it can be quiet at times but also stressful and possibly even life changing on other occasions.
Not many employers will offer a second chance despite their claims to be open minded and fair.
Good luck if you choose to go forward with your application.

Mack1190

Hey all, first post, apologies if I am putting this in the wrong place!
Recently applied to two positions that are local as a signaller, heard back from one saying a better candidate has been found. Just curious if anyone had heard anything if they had applied for the Sandwich position? No worries if not!