• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

9tfrizzco

Has anyone else, with an offer for York future opportunities had a box added to their careers page that they haven't interview for with an offer sent status?
A new IRC number assigned to the application, yeah. I chose Seamer as my send out location so I assume this is what it all means. Did you not choose a location in response to an e-mail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Batterson

I live in Sussex and relatively near the Three Bridges, I understand there is both a ROC and a ASC there, can anyone tell me the difference between the two, both in terms of work but also shift patterns and culture please ?

7Paul7

A new IRC number assigned to the application, yeah. I chose Seamer as my send out location so I assume this is what it all means. Did you not choose a location in response to an e-mail?
No I never chose a location to the best of my knowledge, I still have the FOC application with Assesment 2 scheduled and also a completely different application for "Carlin How"

Sunset route

Established Member
I live in Sussex and relatively near the Three Bridges, I understand there is both a ROC and a ASC there, can anyone tell me the difference between the two, both in terms of work but also shift patterns and culture please ?

The main difference in basic terms is the differing use of technology at the human interface to control the signalling, in this case TBASC uses a panel of separate control desk and diagram and the TBROC uses computer screens, mouse and keyboard.

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi All, I recall reading somewhere on here that there was a fairly high turnover of signallers at TVSC in Didcot due to steep housing/living costs in that area but there never seem to be jobs posted in the South East ROC locations like Didcot/Basingstoke. Is this because jobs do not come up very often at these locations or they are filled internally so never reach the external eye?

Just in case it wasn’t a typo, Didcot ROC and TVCS Didcot are same control centre.

desrudy

On Moderation
Has anyone else, with an offer for York future opportunities had a box added to their careers page that they haven't interview for with an offer sent status?

I got this :

IRC2176778 Signaller OA LOM York Out-Stations2 (107430) G4 York, GB Formal Offer Sent

( I choosed York ROC as preferred location when they asked me which i would fancy in the online form but i don't know what York Out-Stations2 means ... any ideas ??? )

Maximum Salary

( So Grade 3 )

I contacted them by email and they answered :

Your formal offer will be emailed out to your over the next few days.
( I think at the latest the 24/02 )

Optima Health will be in touch formally with you with address etc but it is on 20th March at 9am ( the date i choosed ) , apologies I can’t give any further info than that right now but it is an external company who run them..

Last edited:

Qball

I got this :

IRC2176778 Signaller OA LOM York Out-Stations2 (107430) G4 York, GB Formal Offer Sent

( I choosed York ROC as preferred location when they asked me which i would fancy in the online form but i don't know what York Out-Stations2 means ... any ideas ??? )

Maximum Salary

( So Grade 3 )

Optima Health will be in touch formally with you with address etc but it is on 20th March at 9am ( the date i choosed ) , apologies I can’t give any further info than that right now but it is an external company who run them..

Grade 2

9tfrizzco

Mine also says the same salary- 29221, but seamer is apparently grade 4, and so what I said earlier about what this all might mean could be wrong. We'll just wait and see :)

Last edited:

Javagem

Hi mate, first of all congratulations! Yes I’ve had the same but not had the formal offer yet, just a verbal offer - although the system says formal offer sent.
Mine has G4 next to the new ‘application’ number, so might be a reference to a grade (but mindful this may have no reference to the application /choice at all).
Look forward to meeting all the newbies at Signaller school In May.
For what it’s worth and to throw a spanner in the works, I asked my interviewers about where I’ll be placed if successful and they said it would get decided after Signaller school depending on how you’d done etc.

Last edited:

Javagem

Mine also says the same salary- 29221, but seamer is apparently grade 4, and so what I said earlier about what this all might mean could be wrong. We'll just wait and see :)
Mine has no salary whatsoever so maybe I’m just volunteering! On a serious note, that’s the salary they quoted me on the offer call that I’d/we’d be on after Signaller school (so presumably this is a standard salary, until you’re placed and graded, signed off etc). This process seems to be a little different to past intakes (from what I’ve read in here) so I don’t think we can read anything into it. Eg I also had the G4 ref on the system so I’m totally lost!
Not bad though, if this is still a probationary salary as I think from the job spec that we won’t move up until 12 months time in job have been completed (no matter what grade?). I’m just so happy to have got through a tough process so I’m not overly fussed what grade etc.
I have the reference to ‘Leeds sub roc’ in my new update on the system so I’m just wondering it’s it’s all a way of just categorizing/sifting the applications per HR person? I didn’t apply for any roles south of York so that’s a mind bender. No matter what, I can’t wait to get going and meeting everyone !! Signallers seem like a brilliant bunch. Congratulations to everyone that got through - you’ve done good

Last edited:

Pablo65

I got this :

Maximum Salary

( So Grade 3 )

The new grade 2 salary you mean

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I have a question about the tax relief you can claim as signaller .

LOL ! The buggers sent me a £3k tax bill, I’m not the only one at my place several have had them!

Get ready to be hammered into the ground on 40% tax !

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Wasn’t that Salisbury based?
I bet that attracted a fair few applicants!
The relief in question is a good job if you’re, ahem, solely or at least primarily motivated by money
If you’re motivated by anything else it’s not great, for various reasons. For this reason the number of applications were slimmer than you’d suppose
Hi All, I recall reading somewhere on here that there was a fairly high turnover of signallers at TVSC in Didcot due to steep housing/living costs in that area but there never seem to be jobs posted in the South East ROC locations like Didcot/Basingstoke. Is this because jobs do not come up very often at these locations or they are filled internally so never reach the external eye?
Basingstoke ROC doesn’t have any signallers in yet. Didcot has a high proportion of displaced staff and also is a 12 hour roster in an area where 8 hour rosters dominate

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
TVSC took in displaced staff from:

Reading Panel
Slough Panel
Slough IECC
Causeway Level Crossing Box
Swindon A & B
Bristol Panel (part of)

The majority of Link 1 & 2 are staff from displacement, Link 3 is over half displaced with some new starters - link 4 (Bristol) started as 98% brand new when the Workstation went live.

Spidercat

Received an offer for an interview next week for the grade 2 positions in warrington (unsure of which box though). Does anyone know the shift patterns for the warrington boxes?

Last edited:

ChrisG85

Morning all.
I have two interviews coming up for Horbury Junction and for Hull6 G4 if that means anything to anyone. I'm just looking for some info on the boxes. 12 or 8hr roster? What areas they serve on their stretches of track? Any other info people may have?
Thanks in advance.

Batterson

The main difference in basic terms is the differing use of technology at the human interface to control the signalling, in this case TBASC uses a panel of separate control desk and diagram and the TBROC uses computer screens, mouse and keyboard.
Thanks !

Sunset route

Established Member

i forgot to say that all the links at TBROC work 12hr shifts, whilst at TBASC there is one 12hr link and 1 8hr link (at the moment). Also so the working environments are different between the two locations, one is a bit clinical and sterile whilst the other is one big extended family although it’s an acquired taste (which is probably more down to the floor plan than individual personalities).

Habitat

I've a 24week base roster.
What app do you guys use to keep an eye on your shifts and rest days?

gareth386

I've a 24week base roster.
What app do you guys use to keep an eye on your shifts and rest days?
I use work shift calendar, it takes a while to first put the shifts in, especially on a 24 week pattern, but its a great app.