• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

godfreycomplex

Established Member
A signaller I know , started as a G6 and was a teacher. Honestly doesnt matter what you do or did.
Agreed. Before signalling I was an out of work actor whose so-called “proper job” experience amounted to a few weeks washing dishes. Other jobs that people I know of have had before signalling include greengrocer, supermarket worker, school caretaker, tiler, spud digger, trainee wealth analyst, cloistered monk, reiki therapist, and my personal favourite, an Elvis tribute act.
Takes all sorts this job. What LOM says is correct, it’s all down to the interview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Since I started looking and applying for signaller positions, I’ve not seen any come up for East Midlands ROC. Do these tend to come up with any frequency on the internal list?
Thanks
Two or three times a year on average.

89jordanbj

Cheers mate. It's all happening very fast. I was daunted at the start as been In a good secure job for the last 10 which I actually enjoy. But after applying and securing a job of sorts I feel I'd kicking myself down the line I'd I didn't take it.

No idea with contract of employment as of yet. I've given hiring manager verbal agreement he said he LL now get the ball rolling. Expecting some formal paperwork in the next week or so . I'm from Carmarthenshire ,so an hour from Newport. I can't imagine you LL be waiting long. Courses appear to run fairly often. All being well you LL get Newport too.
Any mention of medical as of yet? I wondered how they would work given the social distancing etc.

Manager mentioned I should receive some documents next week so that may explain more. Until I get a contract offer I'm not getting too excited, but it's good to know that after months and months of applying things seem to be happening.

Exactly, you don't want to have any regrets thinking of what could have been so don't blame you for grabbing the opportunity!

baz962

Established Member
Agreed. Before signalling I was an out of work actor whose so-called “proper job” experience amounted to a few weeks washing dishes. Other jobs that people I know of have had before signalling include greengrocer, supermarket worker, school caretaker, tiler, spud digger, trainee wealth analyst, cloistered monk, reiki therapist, and my personal favourite, an Elvis tribute act.
Takes all sorts this job. What LOM says is correct, it’s all down to the interview.
Well this reply has made my day . All waiter's are out of work actor's , aren't they. As for the Elvis tribute , wasn't expecting that and I pretty much doubled up with laughter. Good job I'm on a pretty empty train. Thanks for the laugh.

CGH86

Any mention of medical as of yet? I wondered how they would work given the social distancing etc.

Manager mentioned I should receive some documents next week so that may explain more. Until I get a contract offer I'm not getting too excited, but it's good to know that after months and months of applying things seem to be happening.

Exactly, you don't want to have any regrets thinking of what could have been so don't blame you for grabbing the opportunity!
The medical is a strange one. Normally the medical would be arranged prior to starting signalling school. However with what's going on IL be starting training and at some point during training or after the 12 weeks the medical will be arranged for then. Passing the medical is a criteria of your contract, a little unsettling but fitness and medical wise as I'm concerned I shouldn't have any problems. I have annual medicals with both of my current workplaces and have never had any issues. Touch wood.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Well this reply has made my day . All waiter's are out of work actor's , aren't they. As for the Elvis tribute , wasn't expecting that and I pretty much doubled up with laughter. Good job I'm on a pretty empty train. Thanks for the laugh.
Hahaha aren’t we just - I wasn’t even a good enough actor to be a waiter they shoved me in the kitchen away from paying punters. Very wise of them.
Delighted to oblige, reports of him describing a track defect as “all shook up” are unconfirmed

89jordanbj

The medical is a strange one. Normally the medical would be arranged prior to starting signalling school. However with what's going on IL be starting training and at some point during training or after the 12 weeks the medical will be arranged for then. Passing the medical is a criteria of your contract, a little unsettling but fitness and medical wise as I'm concerned I shouldn't have any problems. I have annual medicals with both of my current workplaces and have never had any issues. Touch wood.
I thought that would potentially be the case given what's going on, speeds things up I suppose! As you say, a bit unsettling having it in the back of your mind but I'm sure you will be fine! All the best with your training and good luck in your new career. Hopefully by some miracle I may see you there, you never know!

Allaboard78

Are you going to have to travel back and forth?

Deanr1979

Hi all. I received an email yesterday saying that I’m not getting an interview for future opportunities north/east. However I was in a high scoring pool of candidates and my overall application was impressive so I have been put in a talent pool for future opportunities in my area.
Has anybody received anything similar to this?
Thanks and good luck to anybody with future interviews and applications.

amanda08

Hi all. I received an email yesterday saying that I’m not getting an interview for future opportunities north/east. However I was in a high scoring pool of candidates and my overall application was impressive so I have been put in a talent pool for future opportunities in my area.
Hi, yes, I received the same email - not sure if anything will come of it though?

SiggysigAah

I have that email also.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi,I also went for the abercynon job and had the phone call to say I was unsuccessful. I was offered the pool signaller route which I knew nothing about at the time. After much thought I feel it's an opportunity to good so will go for it. I've been asked to go on the 12 week course starting June 1st in Newport.

I was a bit unsure with the mention of a 12 month contract. However after speaking to another signaler was assured that internal jobs are always coming up. Best of luck and hope you get a date soon. I'm sure you will.

Unless you fail school and/or a complete fool once you finish school you’ll have a job within 12 months.

congratulations!

CGH86

I thought that would potentially be the case given what's going on, speeds things up I suppose! As you say, a bit unsettling having it in the back of your mind but I'm sure you will be fine! All the best with your training and good luck in your new career. Hopefully by some miracle I may see you there, you never know!
Cheers appreciate it. Quite keen to get going and start a new career. All the best and hope you find out some good news on a start date soon. Ye definitely you never know. I think the courses are running on reduced numbers with the required social distancing, so that might be a good thing in terms of learning .

CGH86

Are you going to have to travel back and forth?
They said IL be booked a hotel Monday to Thursday. Although due to childcare issues IL have to travel back the odd night. Anyone know what time the course days start at. Heard between 9 and 9.30am. 9.30 be fantastic for me, where I'm stuck for childcare would have enough time to drop my daughter of at school hub and get to Newport. Nightmare at the moment with not been able to use grandparent etc.

7Paul7

They said IL be booked a hotel Monday to Thursday. Although due to childcare issues IL have to travel back the odd night. Anyone know what time the course days start at. Heard between 9 and 9.30am. 9.30 be fantastic for me, where I'm stuck for childcare would have enough time to drop my daughter of at school hub and get to Newport. Nightmare at the moment with not been able to use grandparent etc.

York is 9:30 on a Monday 9am every other day

Sim time is done before / after school also

I'm quite intrigued about your medical comments. A number of us have had our contracts but are still waiting for a medical before we are given a start date...and thus hand in our notices. I hoping we will hear something next week!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You’d have to have a serious condition to be barred from signalling - I’ve know blind (no left eye) and hearing aid equipped signallers.

The only condition is you’d be confined to a multi manned location, and not allowed at a trackside SB where you’d potentially have to exchange tokens or use a permitted access across track etc.

Danny5213

Evening all, I've been invited to the assessment/interview stage for the North East future opportunities post. I've been looking at the locations based in Yorkshire and wondered whether anyone had any information on the Ferrybridge or Goole signal boxes?

TIA.
Just checked my application for future opportunities north/east. Now saying application unsuccessful. Guttered, although I still have an application under consideration for bedlington grade 2 box but it’s from January.

Hi gents, congratulations on getting an interview/put in a talent pool. I've also got an application under consideration for North East future opportunities IRC2181167. I've not had any updates since the 28th April so trying to be optimistic although wondering if I've just been missed from the communication of results. Was any light shed on what the 'assessment' part of the assessment/interview is? I assumed the 'assessment' was the SHL tests but I'm wondering if it's just part of the interview? Have you been invited to sit the SHL tests or had you already sat them in a previous application?

Is anyone else still 'under consideration' for North East future opportunities?

TIA

Major1494

Hi gents, congratulations on getting an interview/put in a talent pool. I've also got an application under consideration for North East future opportunities IRC2181167. I've not had any updates since the 28th April so trying to be optimistic although wondering if I've just been missed from the communication of results. Was any light shed on what the 'assessment' part of the assessment/interview is? I assumed the 'assessment' was the SHL tests but I'm wondering if it's just part of the interview? Have you been invited to sit the SHL tests or had you already sat them in a previous application?

Is anyone else still 'under consideration' for North East future opportunities?

TIA

Hi Danny5213,

There's 2 SHL tests to complete, a pre recorded Scenario interview and a virtual interview. The SHL tests and Scenario interview need to be completed before the virtual interview which is on the 22/05/2020.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I suggest you need to talk to your LOM about this as soon as possible. The course is intense and you are going to need to stop on after classes to practice on the simulator.