• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amanda08

As relief, is there any flexibility at all in shifts? As a single parent to a teen, although he is pretty self sufficient, there may be the odd college thing I’d like/need to attend. If you know in advance, is it possible to request a certain shift time with the roster clerks? Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Rest days you can selected Days only or Nights only for overtime.

But your booked turns are at the will of the roster clerk, if you really need a day off either book AL or save up your Comp Leave.

The issue with relief is if your RD say Tuesday, your will by law of sod be marked fo work nights Monday !

amanda08

Rest days you can selected Days only or Nights only for overtime.

But your booked turns are at the will of the roster clerk, if you really need a day off either book AL or save up your Comp Leave.

The issue with relief is if your RD say Tuesday, your will by law of sod be marked fo work nights Monday !
Thanks. I thought that may be the case.
Someone else said if you are to take RDW, best to do on on your single days off, for exactly the reason you give re night shifts!

LOM

You can usually come to an arrangement with the roster clerk or your LOM, you can always ask them at least. Some areas allow mutual swaps (though where I am we do not). NR does have a flexible working policy for childcare but I have never come across a signaller who has tried to use it.

Mind you I have more than once walked into a box and had to ignore a child sitting in the corner!

Last edited:

amanda08

You can usually come to an arrangement with the roster clerk or your LOM, you can always ask them at least. Some areas allow mutual swaps (though where I am we do not). NR does have a flexible working policy for childcare but I have never come across a signaller who has tried to use it.

Mind you I have more than once walked into a box and had to ignore a child sitting in the corner!
Blimey! It wouldn’t cross my mind to do that! Although my son is 16 so wouldn’t be needed anyway- he’s a foot bigger than me, so no hiding him in the corner lol.
I assume it would be extremely infrequent I’d need/want off, that couldn’t be sorted by taking AL. So hopefully it will be a non issue.

ILoveLamp

If you tap in Railway documentary on YouTube it’s on there, the west coast Mainline program.
Wow! just watched this.. I work with the general public at present but there are some prize plonkers (putting it very politely) using the railway network! Some peoples expectations are ridiculous as are their reactions!! o_O

godfreycomplex

Established Member

Flexible working has been used for childcare in a few locations. Childcare and other such commitments are something that is starting to be recognised and accommodated for a lot more
It’s a shame that there are still some areas that don’t allow mutual swaps, as they can greatly mitigate fatigue (especially on an 8 hour roster) and improve morale and retention rates for very little cost or effort to the company.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

We have a “****” link - Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday for a parent.

Plenty of kids at our place, it’s often like a playground !

CivilAv96

So currently got applications in for Didcot and Wimbledon. Really hoping one progresses further but we shall see.

Thanks to everyone's insight on here it is really helpful.

89jordanbj

So currently got applications in for Didcot and Wimbledon. Really hoping one progresses further but we shall see.

Thanks to everyone's insight on here it is really helpful.
Good luck with your applications, I also have 1 in for Didcot along with a few others. Be prepared for a long wait!

ljmac

Does anyone have any info on carlisle psb?
8 or 12 hour roster and what a 4%fp would mean?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
4% FP is like Mr HS days for one location only, I’ve put a letter in to go resident link from relief as it’s really not enough for all the messing about as far as I’m concerned.

Chumba

Does anyone have any info on carlisle psb?
8 or 12 hour roster and what a 4%fp would mean?

visited there when I was a kid on a school trip, would love to work there but am at the other end of the country now. Same for Blea Moore, Visited there and would also love to work there. :D

Baxtermt

Hi all, I’ve just received my test results having applied for the Oakham vacancy but been told I didn’t meet the benchmark required. I’m absolutely gutted! More so because I felt like I did quite well - the maths questions were a little difficult but I felt strong in the majority. My question is how long is it until I can reapply? Also if there’s a way I can see where I failed and need to improve? Like I said I felt good upon completion of each test so that’s a hard pill to swallow. I’ve been waiting and watching for years for the opportunity to arise so I need to make sure I leave no stone unturned for the next time I can apply.

Hi When I applied and failed the benchmark I contacted HR and they gave me my results and that I can retake the items that I didn't reach the benchmark in, in 6 months. Really hoping that I meet them next time, I was having a bad day, struggling with my computer and rushed the last few questions, I hope that was the problem when I failed, but we will see.

Baxtermt

Hi all

Love the help and advice this forum has provided. First time posting today, hopefully not the last.

Thank you all

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
How does that work Tom?

The 4%, or moving links?

Moving links within grade and location is fairly straight forward, put a letter into your LOM of your wise to move. Once a roster line opens up you move across.

The 4% is what single location relief staff get, it’s really not worth it to be honest for the messing about and not knowing what your doing until Thursday prior.

Allaboard78

The 4%, or moving links?

Moving links within grade and location is fairly straight forward, put a letter into your LOM of your wise to move. Once a roster line opens up you move across.

The 4% is what single location relief staff get, it’s really not worth it to be honest for the messing about and not knowing what your doing until Thursday prior.
Both, and that's a perfect explanation:)

nom de guerre

Rule number 1 of any multi crewed signalling location - never let anyone know what annoys you.

You say that, but the same is applicable at single-manned locations too. Notoriously, two signallers in Kent once made the front page of The Sun (must have been a slow news day!) after getting involved in a punch-up caused by a long-festering dispute over... fridge etiquette o_O

(Can't find the Currant Bun version, but this incident.)

Last edited:

LOM

I have seen several very very elaborate attempts to annoy colleagues in signalboxes over the years. Sometimes managing signallers is like running a tots’ nursery class.

nom de guerre

That's why most signallers probably don't aspire to your role - they know only too well how much of a ball-ache their brethren can be! Never mind the workload, on-call etc.

I have seen several very very elaborate attempts to annoy colleagues in signalboxes over the years. Sometimes managing signallers is like running a tots’ nursery class.

We recently had a shouting match between two residents - and threats of physical violence - due to one participant's reluctance to tidy away their cutlery and dishes from the drying rack before they finished duty. It's the type of all-too-familiar scenario that you don't want to bother a LOM with - even if you did, they'd be well within their rights to tell everyone involved to grow up and sort it out themselves. Thankfully, in this instance, the 'frank exchange of views' did actually clear the air and the situation has improved.

LOM

“He launched my saucepan out of the window, I brought that from home!” is a genuine one I had to referee...

I once read an autobiography by a former lighthouse keeper and it was a very familiar tale of people cooped up with too much time on their hands and petty grievances to settle.

Last edited: