• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Wanderer84

I was really tempted to apply for the NE future opportunities but I ended up withdrawing.

I had major problems filling in the application questions, I just couldn't get answers that I was happy or confident with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iamdavid

Just a quick question for those who did the N&E opportunities interview, was their anyone who actually didn’t get the email regarding their application being excellent and scoring very highly?

Prerail

Long time follower, first time poster. Had a verbal offer for North East yesterday. Couldn’t answer the call because I’m offshore but got a WhatsApp from HR saying the email offer should be sent out in the next few days. Congrats to everyone who has been successful!

Rigchick

I waited for it in writing and I think it took a week to come but things are kicking up a notch in terms of recruitment so I’m sure it will come soon! How long is your notice?

edit
This was after all of the final pre-employment checks were complete - medical etc.
It looks like they are really busy!!
That’s the problem, it’s supposed to be 6 months! But may be able to get it down to something better with a confirmed job offer, in writing.

Briggs0592

Heres to hoping I get a call from HR today for the NE positions. Haven't slept a wink all night. Well done to all who have received there job offers. I'm really hoping the 2nd day phone call are not the unsuccessful ones.

Kraken

Ah I see, if you’re more towards the South Lincs border then probably would be a bit of a commute to anywhere!

Absolutely :) Fortunately there seems to be fairly frequent recruitment in my neck of the woods so hopefully one of those will come off.

Rockhopper

I'm searching for opportunities within a thirty mile radius of Chesterfield and there haven't been any signalling job for four months or so apart from a crossing keeper job that popped up last week. There used to be at least three or four every week.

craig1992

So obviously alot of people received the You did great email after the NE opportunities interviews. If unsuccessful at this period but NWR are looking to recruit alot in the future would NWR wait list people or is that not something they do?

That’s the problem, it’s supposed to be 6 months! But may be able to get it down to something better with a confirmed job offer, in writing.

I had my offer very quickly but I waited until I had done the medical and got the results back before I handed my notice in. That wait was a little frustrating as I had to give 13 weeks notice.

I have a feeling that they are prioritising those more urgent vacancies in terms of sending out offers and arranging medicals etc. Certainly they were pushing for start dates for Feltham even though there weren't any schools available at the time

Mi&Li

So obviously alot of people received the You did great email after the NE opportunities interviews. If unsuccessful at this period but NWR are looking to recruit alot in the future would NWR wait list people or is that not something they do?
As somebody said they may be doing another mass intake in October, it would seem daft to me to interview around 200 people again when they have a nice pool of “excellent” interviewee’s!!

Major1494

Just received my verbal offer for the NE opportunities post. Will be based at Knottingley SB.
Would just like to say a massive thank-you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, the wealth of knowledge has been invaluable!

Rab2018

Hi LOM you said that a hiring manager will interview no more than 6 for a role. I have applied for one of the 4 Relief roles at Oakham, how many people do you think would be interviewed for the 4 roles? Thanks in advance.

Billyc87

Hi LOM you said that a hiring manager will interview no more than 6 for a role. I have applied for one of the 4 Relief roles at Oakham, how many people do you think would be interviewed for the 4 roles? Thanks in advance.
Hi Rab I have applied for one of these roles, where are you in the process?

iamdavid

Can I just ask where have people heard about the next mass uptake of signallers in October? I'd only heard about the 60 roles currently being handed out.

Mi&Li

Can I just ask where have people heard about the next mass uptake of signallers in October? I'd only heard about the 60 roles currently being handed out.
I was told in my interview there would be another

iamdavid

I was told in my interview there would be another

Thanks, that makes me feel slightly better about potentially missing out this time round. Wonder if all of this times results would be held or whether it would be re-done in house by then.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It takes often over a dozen applications to finally land a job as a signaller, so don’t lose hope after a handful.

Mi&Li

Thanks, that makes me feel slightly better about potentially missing out this time round. Wonder if all of this times results would be held or whether it would be re-done in house by then.
Take it you’ve not heard anything yet then? I rang them but all they could tell me was that I should hear within 4 weeks!? I think these positions must be handled differently to typical job adverts.

Briggs0592

Still waiting on any form contact from HR. Been told I was to find out the outcome latest today at some point. But with every hour that passes the less hopeful I am. Maybe that the pessimist in me. I feel as though the likely hood of being offered a position as time goes on is less probable. I still hold out hope having seen a couple of people accepted today but withdrawn to the bad news. Few more hours left to get in touch but prepering myself for outcome I didn't want. Hope there is another round of recruitment a of its not to be the case. Thoroughly enjoyed the application process so far and the challenges it presented. Any more people received there offers today?

iamdavid

Take it you’ve not heard anything yet then? I rang them but all they could tell me was that I should hear within 4 weeks!? I think these positions must be handled differently to typical job adverts.

4 Weeks?! I hope not! The email said we'd know whether we were successful or not by today so I'd feel quite aggrieved by that, was hoping to at least be put out of my misery by the end of today! And nope, I've still heard nothing, been dying for the phone to ring since yesterday morning but to no avail.

Mi&Li

For those that have received offers for the NE future opportunities, has their status changed on the portal?

jmoz

Hi - Are you folks getting the NE jobs being taken on 12 month Fixed Term Contracts, with the aim to secure a permanent job during the 12 month FTC?

RashidaR

One of the recruiters via email said regarding the NE intake ‘It's 30 signalers in total we are looking for. We may be looking for another 60-90 in the autumn too’

Last edited:

iamdavid

One of the recruiters via email said regarding the NE intake ‘It's 30 signalers in total we are looking for. We may be looking for another 60-90 in the autumn too’

for questions you can [email protected]

Thanks, in the adverts I’d seen for it (Northern Echo, etc.) it stated about 60 roles, I asked in my interview if there were 60 positions opening and they confirmed that was about right. So a bit confusing to me. Still, will keep my fingers crossed for getting another shot at the Autumn intake if that’s the case. Will send them an email for details in the next couple of days if I hear nothing back from them.

Last edited:

Mi&Li

for questions you can [email protected]
Worrying to hear there’s only 30 positions, must have made 30 successful phone calls by now.

Briggs0592

Worrying to hear there’s only 30 positions, must have made 30 successful phone calls by now.
I would agree. I have emailed asking for some kind of update as I received an email yesterday stating it would be today I received a phone call but to no avail has that materialised. Don't think I'm a successful candidate. Surely they would have made the successful calls required now.

Briggs0592

Hi Guys. Haven't received a phone call today but my application status on the job portal says application withdrawn. Now I know I haven't done that so can only assume I haven't been successful. Pretty gutted as I thought there would of been a phone call at least. Has anyone checked there application status?

iamdavid

Hi Guys. Haven't received a phone call today but my application status on the job portal says application withdrawn. Now I know I haven't done that so can only assume I haven't been successful. Pretty gutted as I thought there would of been a phone call at least. Has anyone checked there application status?

Mine still says Assessment 2 completed, weirdly it says status update 15.46pm today (It’s been Assessment 2 completed since my interview).