• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Gallius

Well, I just got the email to say I’d been successful in getting a ‘Pre-Offer’ for a relief job centred on Oakham (HR must be working late). Utterly delighted (and slightly nervous) now. I know it’s been said before but the advice provided by the many thousands of posts in this thread have been utterly invaluable and I have no doubt that I would not have got this offer without the tips, tricks and encouragement in here.

For all the signallers who post in here, thank you. You’ve no need to come here and help us aspiring signallers, but I’m ever so glad you do. I only really started idly looking at this forum in January and was very quickly ‘radicalised’ by reading how much people genuinely seem to love this job.

Fingers crossed for the medical now - I’m on the more, ahem, jolly side of the BMI scale so hopefully that won’t prove too much of an issue but we shall see.
Congratulations on the offer! BMI in itself shouldn't be an issue as long as your blood pressure is within the accepted limits. I had similar concerns when I attended mine but it didn't cause me an issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nippy

Greenford SB, you won’t see 99% of the trains you signal!

Fringe with TVSC Haye, and Maidenhead workstations I think?

@Nippy might be able to provide more info.

12 hour roster, fringe with TVSC Acton and Marylebone. Lever Frame and a small IECC.

You will see all the trains you signal if you look out the window.

8 points are an utter arse to get back Normal.

amanda08

Well, I just got the email to say I’d been successful in getting a ‘Pre-Offer’ for a relief job centred on Oakham (HR must be working late). Utterly delighted (and slightly nervous) now. I know it’s been said before but the advice provided by the many thousands of posts in this thread have been utterly invaluable and I have no doubt that I would not have got this offer without the tips, tricks and encouragement in here.

For all the signallers who post in here, thank you. You’ve no need to come here and help us aspiring signallers, but I’m ever so glad you do. I only really started idly looking at this forum in January and was very quickly ‘radicalised’ by reading how much people genuinely seem to love this job.

Fingers crossed for the medical now - I’m on the more, ahem, jolly side of the BMI scale so hopefully that won’t prove too much of an issue but we shall see.
Fabulous news!
We’ll soon be colleagues! :D

RailNoob

Been keeping an eye for this told you your interview sounded promising! All the best in your career!

Kraken

Congratulations on the offer! BMI in itself shouldn't be an issue as long as your blood pressure is within the accepted limits. I had similar concerns when I attended mine but it didn't cause me an issue.

Thanks Gallius, blood pressure has always been fine I think and I’m not morbidly obese so hopefully all will be well.

Kraken

Fabulous news!
We’ll soon be colleagues! :D

Cheers Amanda, looking forward to getting all the gen from you about school! And thank you for blazing a trail on here, I ended up having no questions about the Oakham relief job because you’d already asked them:D

TRain87

Does that mean that when positions are advertised for externals that you’re still up against internal candidates, and if so, if I’ve got an operation railway and safety critical background, then what are my chances against an internal?

Not to say it's not possible, but a box like Guildford is a dream! As a hiring LOM, are you going to take a proven, existing signaller, who wants to progress and minimal waiting around or take on a newbie who needs to attend signalling school and be onboarded and medical etc? Not saying it can't happen though, so still apply! I know at least 5 internals who will apply though.

TRain87

Congrats Kraken! That's great news...bet you're bouncing off the walls! You'll be fine in medical - just relax and all will happen at it's own pace x

Kraken

Congrats Kraken! That's great news...bet you're bouncing off the walls! You'll be fine in medical - just relax and all will happen at it's own pace x

Thank you, yes certainly very excited. And thanks for your inputs into this thread - it’s been fun reading through this from the start when you were an applicant and seeing you moving onwards and upwards every hundred pages or so!

Last edited:

TRain87

Thank you, yes certainly very excited. And thanks for your inputs into this thread - it’s been fun reading through this from the start when you were an applicant and seeing you moving onwards and upwards every hundred pages or so!

Seen me become a member of the grumpy men railway club, you mean? 8-)

Last edited:

Roadster 7

Congratulations!
Brilliant news, I wish you all the best in your future career. Fingers crossed I will get there one day!

Kraken

Yes it is sobering, but remember that the railway (generally) learns from it's mistakes. Both Quintishill and Abermule, for example, resulted in Rule Changes on how single line working was undertaken, and even now after an incident you will often see minor Rule changes.

Yes that is good to know, also it’s comforting that big railway accidents with multiple fatalities are so much less frequent nowadays.

GMac1502

Congrats Kraken really pleased for you, hopefully i'll get the same email or phone call as well soon.

Tigerned371

Hi everyone, I have been silently stalking this forum for a few months now And found it a very valuable source of information. I have finally taken the plunge to register to say hi to @amanda08 and @Kraken as I had the email yesterday for the pre offer of Oakham Relief :D

amanda08

Hi everyone, I have been silently stalking this forum for a few months now And found it a very valuable source of information. I have finally taken the plunge to register to say hi to @amanda08 and @Kraken as I had the email yesterday for the pre offer of Oakham Relief :D

Hi!
Congratulations to you!
It’s lovely to meet another future colleague:)

Liam60009

Morning all,

First time posting here, but have read through the majority of this information-filled forum. Very grateful for all the experience and wisdom that’s shared on here for all of us aspiring NR signallers.

I applied for Hellifield a few weeks ago, been looking for a vacancy for that area for quite some time. Does anyone happen to know the shift times for the box please?

Thanks in advance,
Liam

Kraken

Goodness me there’s a lot of us on here! Looking forward to meeting you - hopefully we’ll be on the same course at school eventually.

amanda08

Woopwoop!!
Just received my onboarding email, - all pre employment checks and medical done and confirming my official start date :D
Feeling extremely happy. relieved and quite a bit lucky!

danners430

Just received rejections for Craigo and Inverkeilor... Oh well, pick myself up and look at the next opportunity - it means the railway are getting the best people for the job!

Kraken

Woopwoop!!
Just received my onboarding email, - all pre employment checks and medical done and confirming my official start date :D

Wonderful! Is that the last thing you need before it’s absolutely nailed on that you are starting? Are you up to anything before going to school?

High Dyke

Established Member
Well done. :D
Welcome to the funny farm. ;)
Woopwoop!!
Calm down dear...:rolleyes: Lol. Now the hard work begins. Getting a job is just the start of it.

Kraken

Just received rejections for Craigo and Inverkeilor... Oh well, pick myself up and look at the next opportunity - it means the railway are getting the best people for the job!

Sorry to hear that Danners, very best of luck with your future applications

amanda08

Wonderful! Is that the last thing you need before it’s absolutely nailed on that you are starting? Are you up to anything before going to school?
Yes, that was the final nail as it were :D
school starts on the 27th but I begin on the 20th. Doing 3 days visiting boxes in Leicester with LOM and then two days apprentice induction in York on that first week :)