• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

nom de guerre

I agree Tom, I think if you’re in a safety critical role, you should certainly be able to assess whether or not you’re fit to work any extra hours (and if this will affect your performance or not).

Disagree.

People doing safety critical jobs may well think they’re best placed to assess their fatigue levels. The sheer volume of railway incidents where fatigue is a contributory factor suggests otherwise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Disagree.

People doing safety critical jobs may well think they’re best placed to assess their fatigue levels. The sheer volume of railway incidents where fatigue is a contributory factor suggests otherwise.

Fatigue is an issue of course, but overall lifestyle can balance the workload. After a turn I ensure I get at least 7hrs sleep, have a good meal and keep my hydration levels up throughout my next turn of duty.

Overall signaller incidents is something I’ve been thanking about of late, why does it appear from internal comms that they appear to be on the raise?

Maybe it’s fatigue, lack of experience, lack of interest, workload, lack of knowledge?

I think lack of interest or greater understanding of the bigger picture can play a key part in signaller incidents.

Boredom can also play a part, which leads into lack of interest, ARS enables both. It allows the disengaged signaller to “switch off” allow the computer to play trains.

Then when the signaller is required to do something they aren’t switched on enough and make mistakes.

Workload is possibly another factor, increased workload across our function with manning and grade assessments undertaken years ago when the workload wasn’t as high, over reliance on ARS to assist the signaller as well.

Yes, fatigue can play a part in a overall unhealthy balanced lifestyle, but it’s not going to figure out the other issues which wont be helped by a max hours week.

We’re expected to work in professional manner, and rightly so.

Treat us like professionals who can be trusted to manage our work life balance safely.

nom de guerre

I better give back word on the Lambo then :'(

The car park at my last box was ridiculous whenever certain teams were on. One colleague had TWO Lambos - he eventually (down?)graded to a Porsche. Not to mention the Jag, the TTRS and the 8 MPG super truck. I used to enjoy lowering the tone with my battered old hatchback :lol:

nom de guerre

Whether your fully ladymanned or not, you'll always the lame, lazy and T.W.A.T links who will create RDW opportunitie.

But even the lame, lazy and T.W.A.T. links should be much better staffed in future.

To give an example, a single-manned box in our area - which is already fully-staffed (four residents and a dedicated RDR) - has just taken on two more RDRs. This is the level of recruitment happening in some places.

nom de guerre

Fatigue is an issue of course, but overall lifestyle can balance the workload. After a turn I ensure I get at least 7hrs sleep, have a good meal and keep my hydration levels up throughout my next turn of duty.

Overall signaller incidents is something I’ve been thanking about of late, why does it appear from internal comms that they appear to be on the raise?

Maybe it’s fatigue, lack of experience, lack of interest, workload, lack of knowledge?

I think lack of interest or greater understanding of the bigger picture can play a key part in signaller incidents.

Boredom can also play a part, which leads into lack of interest, ARS enables both. It allows the disengaged signaller to “switch off” allow the computer to play trains.

Then when the signaller is required to do something they aren’t switched on enough and make mistakes.

Workload is possibly another factor, increased workload across our function with manning and grade assessments undertaken years ago when the workload wasn’t as high, over reliance on ARS to assist the signaller as well.

Yes, fatigue can play a part in a overall unhealthy balanced lifestyle, but it’s not going to figure out the other issues which wont be helped by a max hours week.

We’re expected to work in professional manner, and rightly so.

Treat us like professionals who can be trusted to manage our work life balance safely.

I don't disagree with most of the above, but ultimately, if the stats didn't suggest there was an issue with fatigue, the ORR presumably wouldn't have become involved.

High Dyke

Established Member
But even the lame, lazy and T.W.A.T. links should be much better staffed in future.

To give an example, a single-manned box in our area - which is already fully-staffed (four residents and a dedicated RDR) - has just taken on two more RDRs. This is the level of recruitment happening in some places.
Yet my area is going the opposite way to achieve the changes required. RDR staff are being displaced to become 3 in a box residents, but then it also requires additional GPR to make up the numbers. Part of this is also due to an increase in services by EMR, as part of their franchise commitment. Having 3 in a box means that during the summer the two-shift boxes get a Sunday off, they currently work every Sunday for that period.

Roadster 7

Just to repeat the advice throuout this thread regarding signalling school, there is a LOT of information to take in. Don't let that put you off or worry you though.

I'll be starting week 10 in York next week and despite the warnings on here, I still wasn't quite ready for how much there is to learn. What I will say though is that I've found my course to be thoroughly enjoyable. The course is designed to take people with no railway background and bring them right up to the required standard. The trainers have all been very friendly and very helpful, and they will do their best to explain differently if there's anything you find difficult to grasp. They need you to put the work in though, and time on the simulator is invaluable.

I've found that the classroom learning goes at quite a pace so I use a rough A4 pad for the classroom and copy it up neatly after class. That way I've done the work twice so hopefully it sticks in my mind, and it'll give me a nice book at the end to go alongside the rulebooks if I need to refer back to them. I can only speak for York, but you get a quiz to do at the end of each topic and I highly recommend using them and quizzing yourself or classmates regularly as it really helps the info to stick.

Thanks for this, very informative! Something I will try to copy. Fingers crossed I'll be at signaller school before the end of the year.

Talking of notes, do signallers use log books to record information?
Do you use a notebook, whilst working in the box, to make notes to help remember whats going on?

Javagem

The car park at my last box was ridiculous whenever certain teams were on. One colleague had TWO Lambos - he eventually (down?)graded to a Porsche. Not to mention the Jag, the TTRS and the 8 MPG super truck. I used to enjoy lowering the tone with my battered old hatchback :lol:
Blummin heck, that sounds like a luxury car showroom! I often wondered what the car if choice was for a Signaller - I imagined a Volvo estate :D

headshot119

Established Member
Thanks for this, very informative! Something I will try to copy. Fingers crossed I'll be at signaller school before the end of the year.

Talking of notes, do signallers use log books to record information?
Do you use a notebook, whilst working in the box, to make notes to help remember whats going on?

All the boxes I work tend to have a "scribble pad", usually made by tearing up A4 sheets with old notices / WONs / GZACs etc and writing on the back of them. Always useful for jotting things down as they happen.

Roadster 7

All the boxes I work tend to have a "scribble pad", usually made by tearing up A4 sheets with old notices / WONs / GZACs etc and writing on the back of them. Always useful for jotting things down as they happen.

Thank you, I did think with how busy the shift could be, it would be quite easy to miss something out on handover.

Katey89

Anyone who applied for the Liverpool St position still have it on their list of applications? It’s disappeared from mine ?

amanda08

Are there easy directions for finding the York training center? I've been told to find the stairs near the higher numbered platforms, but no other guidance from there.
I'm sure i'd find it and will have a look tonight when I arrive, but just in case I get lost :p

Cheers

lineclear

Are there easy directions for finding the York training center? I've been told to find the stairs near the higher numbered platforms, but no other guidance from there.
I'm sure i'd find it and will have a look tonight when I arrive, but just in case I get lost :p

Cheers

Go down the stairs at the far end of the station footbridge, signposted 'National Railway Museum'. At the bottom of the stairs turn left through an unlocked green gate, signed as 'York Campus walking route'. Follow the path around the temporary Northern mess rooms, turning right in front of the entrance to the former IECC, then turn left through an unlocked gate next to a turnstile, then just follow the path between two high fences.

amanda08

Go down the stairs at the far end of the station footbridge, signposted 'National Railway Museum'. At the bottom of the stairs turn left through an unlocked green gate, signed as 'York Campus walking route'. Follow the path around the temporary Northern mess rooms, turning right in front of the entrance to the former IECC, then turn left through an unlocked gate next to a turnstile, then just follow the path between two high fences.

Fantastic, thank you!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

We’ve got a pad on each desk used to write down controls “last minute“ set swaps...read train rolling into the platform bu we need to swap it, set swaps...random requests from outside contractors for line blocks (refused) and anyother info handed to us when we’re busy.

jmoz

Hi All, anyone know if Westbury PSB will end up in a ROC in the near future? And if so, which one - TVSC, Basingstoke?

Cheers

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Could even move to the “Exeter, South West” ROC rumoured for years or at least a two way split between TVSC and Exeter perhaps?

ljmac

Does anyone on here have any knowledge of carlisle psb?
How many panels? (I think 3) and areas of control?

Mills444

Hi all does anyone know what the future opportunities role that was just uploaded on to the website is. Are they essentially collecting applicants for a talent pool?

qwertyberty

Hi all does anyone know what the future opportunities role that was just uploaded on to the website is. Are they essentially collecting applicants for a talent pool?
Likely to be similar to the North East future opportunities campaigns that have run over the past 6+ months

They go through the whole recruitment process from open day to offering grade 2, 12 month fixed term contracts to those who are successful. After signalling school and before the end of your 12 month FTC you are expected to apply for and secure a permanent job, which should be very possible given they will have calculated the numbers they require and spent a bundle on training people. The locations mentioned in the IRC are probably destinations the new recruits will end up at

Mills444

Likely to be similar to the North East future opportunities campaigns that have run over the past 6+ months

They go through the whole recruitment process from open day to offering grade 2, 12 month fixed term contracts to those who are successful. After signalling school and before the end of your 12 month FTC you are expected to apply for and secure a permanent job, which should be very possible given they will have calculated the numbers they require and spent a bundle on training people. The locations mentioned in the IRC are probably destinations the new recruits will end up at

Thanks for that, will the successful applicants only be able to apply for positions within the mentioned areas or will they have access to all grade 2 vacancies country wide ?

Dave Tasty

Thanks for that, will the successful applicants only be able to apply for positions within the mentioned areas or will they have access to all grade 2 vacancies country wide ?

Not sure, but as part of the process you select the locations that you wish to be considered for. The application also states that you must live within 60 minutes of the location/s that you are applying for.

Last edited:

Macca89

Those locations couldn’t be more ideal for me, I live in Lincoln so Boston, Sleaford, Market Rason and of course Lincoln are dream positions. I’ve since had to apply for positions more further afield as I’m sure a lot of people do just to get a footing in the door for a period of time.

There were some previous openings around Lincoln last year which I had no joy in but try try try again, if anything this site has massively helped as I personally feel more prepared with a slightly refreshed CV, Cover Letter and answers to the 69 questions.

Dave Tasty

Hi Macca, this process looks like it will go along the same lines as the previous mass recruitment for north/east. What I mean is that you don't actually answer the 69 questions there are only about 8 and two of them are asking you about location.

It might be worth you starting the application process, having a look at the questions and not submitting. That way you can come up with your answers in your own time. I am pretty sure if you try to write them as you work through it the form will time you out.

Danny_H22

Firstly, this is a fantastic resource and I'd like to thank everyone who helps out.

Yesterday I started an application for a grade 3 role at Liskeard and I'm currently in the process of completing the 70 question questionnaire. Is there anyone here who know if that box is an 8 or 12 hour box? Or can point me in the direction of somewhere where I can find that information myself?

As far as I'm aware, York, Basingstoke and Coventry are the locations of the schools, but with everything that's currently going on, travel to those sites is currently postponed. Does that mean training is now held locally (Plymouth for me) or that training is on hold for the foreseeable future?

High Dyke

Established Member
Those locations couldn’t be more ideal for me, I live in Lincoln so Boston, Sleaford, Market Rason and of course Lincoln are dream positions. I’ve since had to apply for positions more further afield as I’m sure a lot of people do just to get a footing in the door for a period of time.

There were some previous openings around Lincoln last year which I had no joy in but try try try again, if anything this site has massively helped as I personally feel more prepared with a slightly refreshed CV, Cover Letter and answers to the 69 questions.
Keep searching. As you are aware Network Rail are undertaking a recruitment drive to cover for a revised fatigue management process. They are also looking at age related vacancies (those that may be heading towards retiring age). At the moment the Sleaford, Boston and Skegness area is undergoing a re-org of signalling staff. There may be some external vacancies that result at the end of the 'slotting-in' procedure.

Slotting-in: A procedure where staff in a particular role are displaced from their current role, but offered an similar position within the same area.

headshot119

Established Member
Firstly, this is a fantastic resource and I'd like to thank everyone who helps out.

Yesterday I started an application for a grade 3 role at Liskeard and I'm currently in the process of completing the 70 question questionnaire. Is there anyone here who know if that box is an 8 or 12 hour box? Or can point me in the direction of somewhere where I can find that information myself?

As far as I'm aware, York, Basingstoke and Coventry are the locations of the schools, but with everything that's currently going on, travel to those sites is currently postponed. Does that mean training is now held locally (Plymouth for me) or that training is on hold for the foreseeable future?

I believe all the Cornish boxes are now 12 hours. But I'm happy to be corrected on that.

As I said a few posts ago training is held in various places around the country, you'll be sent wherever space can be found for you.