• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

olilee2

Do you think there will also be general interview questions as part of this? Thing like what do you know about Network Rail, why do you want this role, why will you be suited to this role etc or is all competency NTS based?
I was asked “why do you want to be a signaller” first, then it was all safety and NTS questions from there after...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

One job down & one to go :( Heard that I didn't meet the criteria for Evesham vacancy after what seems a bit of a while at the waiting for answer stage.

Last edited:

gareth386

Has anyone else heard the firm want to look towards including Sunday in the working week?

Personally I’d go for it, we have to work them now anyway (I’d cover can’t be found), increased basic goes towards our pension as well. Seems like a no brainer from our side, obviously it’ll require more staff though.
I heard rumours of this a year or 2 back but nothing since. What do you think they will do with regards to hours? keep the 35HR working week or increase it to accommodate this?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I heard rumours of this a year or 2 back but nothing since. What do you think they will do with regards to hours? keep the 35HR working week or increase it to accommodate this?

They can’t increase the working week, they’ll knock out a day in the week id assume.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Doing it that way would definitely all fall in line with the bigger picture of more signallers, no overtime and therefore reduced fatigue.

I really can’t see RDW drying up anytime soon, you’ll always have sick, restricted, other duties turns to cover.

But your right, increase the headcount then formally propose the Sunday issue.
How it’ll effect relief signallers though.

gareth386

I really can’t see RDW drying up anytime soon, you’ll always have sick, restricted, other duties turns to cover.

But your right, increase the headcount then formally propose the Sunday issue.
How it’ll effect relief signallers though.
Should have said minimal rather than no overtime.

It could mean more opportunity for an extra training day to be put into the roster, a chance for people to visit other departments, have a day with Control to see what they do, visit other boxes and also to get out in your own area with a MOM. Just generally more flexibility to see the bigger picture rather than just the inside of your own box or your own workstation.

Saracen_83

[
Has anyone else heard the firm want to look towards including Sunday in the working week?

Personally I’d go for it, we have to work them now anyway (I’d cover can’t be found), increased basic goes towards our pension as well. Seems like a no brainer from our side, obviously it’ll require more staff though.

from a personal point of view I wouldn’t like this... I enjoy giving up my sundays and picking and choosing what I want to work and when... I’ve never had any problem getting them covered....

there are quite a few in my place that give up all their sundays, so I’m presuming they wouldn’t like it! As I’m sure the people who mop up their sundays wouldn’t!!!!

Last edited:

CK1

hi, I have an interview for the East midlands roles, brand new to the group....ive tried reading the last 10 or 15 pages but a lot of the info gets swallowed up in quotes and the depth of the whole post. I'm looking for as much help as anyone is prepared to give and where to find the information. Where can I find information. Many thanks and sorry if this is going over old ground...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
from a personal point of view I wouldn’t like this... I enjoy giving up my sundays and picking and choosing what I want to work and when... I’ve never had any problem getting them covered....

there are quite a few in my place that give up all their sundays, so I’m presuming they wouldn’t like it! As I’m sure the people who mop up their sundays wouldn’t!!!!

Im all for it, I’ll be honest nice increase to our pensions is my main take on it.

WL113

This should have been done years ago. The present situation where a Sunday off can be requested but must be worked if no cover available is ridiculous really. There is no guarantee of a Sunday off until the roster is published on Thursday. In effect it is compulsory overtime.

Like the 60 hour week, Sundays inside the working week can't come quick enough.

Bunnymomma

hi, I have an interview for the East midlands roles, brand new to the group....ive tried reading the last 10 or 15 pages but a lot of the info gets swallowed up in quotes and the depth of the whole post. I'm looking for as much help as anyone is prepared to give and where to find the information. Where can I find information. Many thanks and sorry if this is going over old ground...

I read through all pages in the thread before hand I recommend you do too as its so useful!! Even little conversations within the bigger ones are of great use.

If you want to find something quick though you can use the search option (top right) to pick words or phrases out from the whole thread :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
This should have been done years ago. The present situation where a Sunday off can be requested but must be worked if no cover available is ridiculous really. There is no guarantee of a Sunday off until the roster is published on Thursday. In effect it is compulsory overtime.

Totally agree.

Cer1j

Hello, I have applied for Signaller Role, in Pembrey, West Wales. I have been told to sit tight for interview arrangements, anyone else at this stage? What preparations are you doing for interview? Haven't needed to do an interview for years, so a little bit nervous.

rotherdan

I recently went through the North East opportunities, so I have done the same process you are about to do. In regards to the scenario interview, I was in the same position, not sure how to prepare for the scenario interview. The scenario is setup for someone who has no rail/signaller experience so all the information is provided throughout just make sure you are writing it all down so you have all the information when giving your answer i think I had written like 3 pages of information by the end of it. You are given plenty of time to prepare an answer so dont worry too much (difficult i know) but once you do the first scenario you relax abit more. I really enjoyed the whole process myself, if you have any other questions ill be happy to answer. Good luck with your app.

Afternoon everyone. Well done and good luck to all those gaining interviews for the East Mids future opportunities. I've managed to get an interview so I'm very excited.

I suppose this question goes to those who recently went through the North East future opportunities which I just missed out on.

1. Are these future roles for a particular position or are they simply a way into signalling school and a short term placement until you apply for a permanent role? I seem to remember that being mentioned on the NE futures advert but it doesn't mention anything like that on EM future roles.

2. On the application form I selected Derby, Lincoln, and Market Rasen as they're all under 60 mins commute for me so I'd be in line with the fatigue rules. I've found information on Derby and Lincoln but struggling with Market Rasen info?

3. I was told Derby is the EMCC similar to a ROC and that its unlikely there are G2 positions there. The advert also states you will be employed primarily in signal boxes. Will these locations be fluid ie when it says Derby does it mean the actual location up for grabs is a local branch line around Derby?

I hope this makes sense lol.

CK1

I read through all pages in the thread before hand I recommend you do too as its so useful!! Even little conversations within the bigger ones are of great use.

If you want to find something quick though you can use the search option (top right) to pick words or phrases out from the whole thread :)

OK cheers,

JMH77

Hello, I have applied for Signaller Role, in Pembrey, West Wales. I have been told to sit tight for interview arrangements, anyone else at this stage? What preparations are you doing for interview? Haven't needed to do an interview for years, so a little bit nervous.

I recently had my first interview. Most of it is based around the 8 nts so make sure you know them and have good examples of each. Learn the Network Rail safety vision and make sure you can explain it's meaning. Other than that ensure you understand what the role involves, why you want it, why you are suited to it and what challenges you may face and you'll be fine.

Maher59

Good afternoon,

I have been a reader of the forum and this topic in particular for a long time now but decided I now needed to post myself, I have recently applied for a grade 3 signaller position at Doncaster and I have been invited to complete my online assessments. I was wondering which topic from the SHL website will be most helpful to me for the complete instrument assessment?

Thanks in advance and any other general tips would be greatly appreciated!

newtothisjob

Hi all, couple of questions if someone doesn't mind!

1. For a grade 3 role, at Upper Holloway, what would you say is a realistic figure to add to the base salary of c.£32? ie what would be the total Gross figure if you factor a 'normal' amount of overtime (if that's a thing!)

2. How quickly would you be able to move from a Grade 3 to a higher grade (say, Grade 8)?

3. What is the transfer process like to move closer to central london? ideally nearer Clapham Junction.

Thanks!

High Dyke

Established Member

This area has had that problem for many years, especially during the Summer timetable period. Residents are rostered to work every Sunday for the period from May - September. However, this is likely to change next year - the re-org of the Skegness line has seen RDR signallers displaced and offered jobs as residents; this means that from next year two in three Sundays are worked by the residents. This has meant a few vacancies, of which we've had one successful appointment from forum members; even management hadn't been told that job was filled.

Burton5000

Thanks Tom, neither of the apps I have in say anything along those lines so I'm guessing it's just the 1 role for each.
Another question if I may. The 2 apps in are both based at the same location one grade 3 and one grade 9. Would it be the same LOM looking at these and doing the interviews etc?

Hey LokiB, did you hear back today whether you passed the grade 9 tests?

nom de guerre

1. For a grade 3 role, at Upper Holloway, what would you say is a realistic figure to add to the base salary of c.£32? ie what would be the total Gross figure if you factor a 'normal' amount of overtime (if that's a thing!)

2. How quickly would you be able to move from a Grade 3 to a higher grade (say, Grade 8)?

3. What is the transfer process like to move closer to central london? ideally nearer Clapham Junction.

Thanks!

1 Even if you work no overtime at all, you should still earn £40K+ (including booked Sundays - which are like guaranteed overtime - night shift premium and Inner London allowance).

2 Depends on how your route interprets the HR rules. The default used to be that you would be expected to work a minimum of a year at your first box before moving on, but it wasn't (isn't?) always enforced. My first route did; others don't. More recently, when all new starters were classed as apprentices, I believe they had to work at least a year from the date they started signalling school before being able to move. It's a question you can ask at an interview.

3 What do you mean by the "transfer process"? You'd apply for suitable jobs advertised on the internal job list in the lead-up to your minimum service period ending (whether a year, or something else) and go from there. The main delay often occurs after you've accepted a new job - your current LOM (manager) may only want to release you to your new role once they have a replacement ready to step in. You can often find yourself part of a chain, where you're stuck until your replacement arrives, your replacement is stuck until their replacement arrives, etc etc.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You can often find yourself part of a chain, where you're stuck until your replacement arrives, your replacement is stuck until their replacement arrives, etc etc.

Is there not a maximum time you can be ‘held on’ to, which is only normally exceeded in dire circumstances? There certainly used to be. Even then, you’ll get the higher rate of pay from the date the transfer should have happened even if you don’t move.

At least that’s how it used to work, cost me a fortune.

nom de guerre

Amybody??? I am Interested to know aswell. Also does anyone know how much London allowance do Upminister get?

Have either of you googled it? There are definitely photos of various Upminster IECC workstations online.

Have either of you searched this thread? I posted some info on the roster and staffing levels for this very link a couple of weeks ago.

Don't want to sound rude, but it's basic research...

Re allowances, the band for Inner London is 0-16 miles from Charing Cross, and according to a generic railway mileage calculator, Upminster is 22.6 miles away. If that's correct, it'd be Outer London allowance (£2430pa last time I had it, a couple of years ago).

Is there not a maximum time you can be ‘held on’ to, which is only normally exceeded in dire circumstances? There certainly used to be. Even then, you’ll get the higher rate of pay from the date the transfer should have happened even if you don’t move.

At least that’s how it used to work, cost me a fortune.

Not sure, BR.

You can claim Higher Grade Pay after 3 months, but if there is a maximum time, it's either a couple of years or LOMs seem to be experiencing a lot of dire circumstances! I've known people who've waited over two years in some cases.

The best case I've encountered was a Grade 5 relief who accepted a G9 job at Wimbledon as the company had announced that all the boxes on the line he worked were going into a workstation at the local ROC. Naturally, he claimed HGD pay ASAP and raked it in at G9 + 24% (for working mainly G2/G3 boxes!) while that part of the resignalling scheme was first delayed by a year, then eventually cancelled at the eleventh hour. Management then offered him a golden handshake to stay, and he got to keep all the money. Given that he never really wanted to move in the first place, a pretty decent result :D

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member

Thanks!
Upper Holloway is a beautiful little ...portacabin.

Mi&Li

Afternoon everyone. Well done and good luck to all those gaining interviews for the East Mids future opportunities. I've managed to get an interview so I'm very excited.

I suppose this question goes to those who recently went through the North East future opportunities which I just missed out on.

1. Are these future roles for a particular position or are they simply a way into signalling school and a short term placement until you apply for a permanent role? I seem to remember that being mentioned on the NE futures advert but it doesn't mention anything like that on EM future roles.

2. On the application form I selected Derby, Lincoln, and Market Rasen as they're all under 60 mins commute for me so I'd be in line with the fatigue rules. I've found information on Derby and Lincoln but struggling with Market Rasen info?

3. I was told Derby is the EMCC similar to a ROC and that its unlikely there are G2 positions there. The advert also states you will be employed primarily in signal boxes. Will these locations be fluid ie when it says Derby does it mean the actual location up for grabs is a local branch line around Derby?

I hope this makes sense lol.

I must say I’m a bit gutted to read about the East Midlands future opportunities. Especially when places like Lincoln and Market Rasen are included as these are about 30mins for me.

Where did you hear of the roles? As far as I was aware, I was signed up for alerts so a little disappointed to have missed the boat!