• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

BigRob21

Hello all,
It could all be a bit early to ask but just wondering if anyone that started IST today were given any instruction or indication as to whether or not training will be delayed due to the lockdown or if it will just be carrying on as normal?
Hay Pancakes84, I started my IST today and we will be going ahead as planned.

Not sure on hotels etc as everyone in our group are fairly local, travelling from home each day.

Hope that helps

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pancakes84

I started today, and the gist of it is that it's all going ahead as planned until such time as we are told something different. Personally I don't think that will change unless the government were to introduce even stricter measures.
Hay Pancakes84, I started my IST today and we will be going ahead as planned.

Not sure on hotels etc as everyone in our group are fairly local, travelling from home each day.

Hope that helps

:)

Aww perfect!
Thanks to you both and good luck with your training.
Mines not until February so was just wondering if they could all get pushed back but I guess nobody really knows what’s happening day to day at the minute haha.

Welshtechie

well, got my 6th rejection letter this morning and with the lack of signaller opportunities available, I think that's my wish of being a signaller over. I'll still enjoy running Simsig on my computer as it helps keep my mind sharp but I'd like to publicly thank all on here for their advice and kind words. I know there has been some disquiet of late but the knowledge and positive action has been invaluable to me, even though it didn't result in a new career. Best of luck to everyone starting and still doing this vital role.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
well, got my 6th rejection letter this morning and with the lack of signaller opportunities available, I think that's my wish of being a signaller over. I'll still enjoy running Simsig on my computer as it helps keep my mind sharp but I'd like to publicly thank all on here for their advice and kind words. I know there has been some disquiet of late but the knowledge and positive action has been invaluable to me, even though it didn't result in a new career. Best of luck to everyone starting and still doing this vital role.

Mate, it’s going to a rough time but jobs will come up again they have to. Rework your CV and app questions ready to rock and roll when the door opens again.

I think I was 30+ apps before I got an interview, and about 35 apps before I got a job over 5 years!

It isn’t over until a) you give up, or b) you get the the job!

Only losers give up and toss in the towel, you are not a loser I’m sure!

Head up, dust yourself down and crack the funk on when the door opens again!

nom de guerre

Sorry to hear you've had a few knockbacks but, as Tom says, don't give up.

My first 12 or 13 applications resulted in straight rejections. If it's a career you're interested in, persevere. Treat the current freeze on external jobs - if that's what it is - as a break, then go again once vacancies begin to reappear. Which they will.

matty1984

Don't give up! If you really want it, fight for it!
I had my first day at the box today and it was well worth the battle to get here!
Hang in there!

siraning

Good afternoon guys,

I applied for the Signaller role at Victoria and it currently says Invite to Assessment 2 Pending.

Can someone please share some insight as to what the next assessment will be?

Thank you in advance

nom de guerre

Good afternoon guys,

I applied for the Signaller role at Victoria and it currently says Invite to Assessment 2 Pending.

Can someone please share some insight as to what the next assessment will be?

I realise you're new to the forum, and this thread is now extremely long, but a very quick advanced search of the Careers Sub-Forum for 'Assessment 2 Pending' produces the following:

Ass2.jpg

Unfortunately LOM doesn't contribute to this thread any more, but if you see any of their historic posts regarding the recruitment process, you can take them as gospel.

Advanced Search

a very quick advanced search of the Careers Sub-Forum for 'Assessment 2 Pending'

For the new and uninitiated:

- Click on Search
- Click on Advanced Search
- Click on Search Threads
- Select Railway Jobs and Careers from the Search in forums window
- Enter the specific term you're researching
- Click Search and you'll usually find a selection of answers - most topics have already been covered

Eg

Adv Se.jpg

If an advanced search fails to produce any relevant results, or you need further clarification, ask the forum. Odds are someone will know the answer.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Hi,
Can anyone give me an idea of the setup at the OE Victoria SB? Is it an IECC centre? If anyone is up for a chat about it and able to explain what a day at the centre looks like, I’d hugely appreciate it.

Thanks

Sanatogen

Could any of the signallers on 12 hour rosters post a few examples please, particularly 4 week rosters with 3 days rest after finishing nights into days.

We are being told that 48 hour rest after nights is not compliant though we suspect that is under the coming NRP which hasn’t been agreed yet.

Defenestrate

In case people are wanting some info regarding specific panels/locations, the below website has plenty of photos - not all of them up to date - but perhaps of use when box visits aren't currently an option? Not my site, not my photos etc.

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi,
Can anyone give me an idea of the setup at the OE Victoria SB? Is it an IECC centre? If anyone is up for a chat about it and able to explain what a day at the centre looks like, I’d hugely appreciate it.

Thanks

If your talking about Victoria ASC located at Clapham Junction, then the method of control is a NX panel split between control desks and a mimic display. There are two separate halves each with their own roster and LOM Victoria Central and Victoria Eastern Victoria Central now has four panels being panels 1, 2a, 2b and 3 with parts of panels 2b & 3 and all of panel 4 now controlled via the Streatham and Sutton workstations in TBROC. On the eastern side their are Panels 5, 7, 8, 9 & 10 with parts of the old panel 6 going on to panel 8 and Thaneslink Core south workstation in TBROC

The picture is one of Victoria central before some panels migrated to TBROC

Attachments

• B325FCBF-F8FA-4F0D-9EC0-F6752BBB22EF.jpeg
    B325FCBF-F8FA-4F0D-9EC0-F6752BBB22EF.jpeg
    996.8 KB · Views: 65

nom de guerre

Could any of the signallers on 12 hour rosters post a few examples please, particularly 4 week rosters with 3 days rest after finishing nights into days.

We are being told that 48 hour rest after nights is not compliant though we suspect that is under the coming NRP which hasn’t been agreed yet.

The residents at my place work a 12-week roster - may be of use?

Sample 12.jpg

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member

It’s the ORR that’s dictating the longer rest periods not the new NRP although will have to reflect that. The old NRP had 52hrs rest when using two rest days after nights and I believe it’s now moving to 54hrs.

Attachments

• NATIONALROSTERINGPRINCIPLES.doc
    96.5 KB · Views: 69

Sanatogen

Last edited:

Stodge

S. M. T. W. T. F. S
Off. RD. RD. RD. D. D. L
L. N. N. RD. RD. RD. E
E. D. D. D. RD. RD. RD.
Off. RD. RD. N. N. N. RD

The weekends aren't 12 hours, as the box closes Sat & Sun night
E = 0530-1515
L = 1515-Close (midnight Sat & 2215 ish Sun)

7Paul7

It’s the ORR that’s dictating the longer rest periods not the new NRP although will have to reflect that. The old NRP had 52hrs rest when using two rest days after nights and I believe it’s now moving to 54hrs.

With regard to Sunday's the box I'm in closes at 14:00 on a Saturday then reopens at 22:00 on Sunday, if there is an engineering shift daytime Sunday who should be offered it first, relief or resident?

Sanatogen

With regard to Sunday's the box I'm in closes at 14:00 on a Saturday then reopens at 22:00 on Sunday, if there is an engineering shift daytime Sunday who should be offered it first, relief or resident?

Resident I believe as it’s not on the base roster.

7Paul7

According to the NRP (posted by Sunset a couple of posts upthread), Sanatogen is spot on:

Yes that was how I read it, however that does not seem to be what happens, relief always get first shout so I was wondering if I'd misinterpreted it as we do have a Sunday shift all Brit for only 2 hrs on a sunday

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Relief get first dibs usually.
Just seen there the answers above...I assumed you had booked Sundays.

nom de guerre

Yes that was how I read it, however that does not seem to be what happens, relief always get first shout so I was wondering if I'd misinterpreted it as we do have a Sunday shift all Brit for only 2 hrs on a sunday

That's what happens when you reply to a reply without reading the original post properly :oops:

Now I've reread your OP, I'd go the other way. Even if your place is only usually open between 2200-2359 on a Sunday that still counts as a "rostered Sunday turn on the base roster", so 5.1 of the NRP applies and reliefs are entitled to first dibs on any occasional Sunday day turns required for T3s.

seventh

Hello there everybody. I have read through the duration between interview stages for london and it seems to range from a a couple of weeks to several months from application to job offer. I was wondering how many stages are there as i have done initial 70 question screen, And have also completed the online assessments, to which i recieved an email on mid oct saying, "i am pleased to let you know your application is being considered further and i will be in contact with you again shortly."

My question is to anyone that can help me is how many more steps remain? is there a frouo assessment then a final 121 interview. Or is there a video interview then a face to face?

Also will recruitment reach out to me via phone or email for next step?

And finally how long would you recommend waiting for next step until i proactively follow up myself if i hear nothing back after this?

Thankyou to all those who reply and God bless