• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Yorks1179

Just had call from LOM to say my in-box training has been suspended :'( all well and good getting to stay home but really looking forward to passing out.

Anybody had the same?
Are you at Pontrilas by any chance?

I'm just starting at Pontrilas and have also had the call that in-box training suspended (I was due to do in box training prior to signalling school).

Is there any word as to signalling school being similarly affected?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

I'm just starting at Pontrilas and have also had the call that in-box training suspended (I was due to do in box training prior to signalling school).

Yes I am at Pontrilas, been there since mid December but only been in about 10 times with everything that is going on.

I am not sure re signalling school tbh. It is easier to distance there than it is in a box so they may well continue with school.

I think there are a few members on here currently at school that may be able to shed some light?

olilee2

Just had call from LOM to say my in-box training has been suspended :'( all well and good getting to stay home but really looking forward to passing out.

Anybody had the same?
Mine still going ahead as things stand, today was going to be my first day in the box but for other reasons it’s been delayed for a little bit

Yorks1179

Yes I am at Pontrilas, been there since mid December but only been in about 10 times with everything that is going on.

I am not sure re signalling school tbh. It is easier to distance there than it is in a box so they may well continue with school.

I think there are a few members on here currently at school that may be able to shed some light?
Fingers crossed for school!

See you later in the year.

nom de guerre

Anybody had the same?

A few of the trainees in our area have faced this. Smaller single-manned boxes aren’t ideal for social distancing, unfortunately.

89jordanbj

A few of the trainees in our area have faced this. Smaller single-manned boxes aren’t ideal for social distancing, unfortunately.
I just wasn't sure if it was a company-wide decision or just local as I have been in the box since mid December.

On the plus side it gives me plenty of time to prepare for my rules test.

ROCsteadycrew

I would have thought that multi-manned locations (ROCs etc.) would be as risky, with trainees sitting beside a signaller and close to many others. I wonder if Network Rail will postpone training in all locations?

ArchangelA

Sorry if it's already been mentioned somewhere in the 419 other pages here, but can anyone recommend a good book or training material to pass the maths part of the signaller online tests? It's the one with all the bar charts, pie charts, and predicting company profits etc etc

nom de guerre

I would have thought that multi-manned locations (ROCs etc.) would be as risky, with trainees sitting beside a signaller and close to many others. I wonder if Network Rail will postpone training in all locations?

Depends how spacious they are and how ‘essential’ the trainee’s training is, I suppose. It did continue at one of our larger locations last time, with signaller and trainee ostensibly maintaining 1m distance, regularly washing/sanitising hands etc.

Plus there are other types of box which allow bona fide social distancing (eg a large single manned box).

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Anybody had the same?

In box training is still ongoing at our place, I’d say a traditional SB won’t fresh air and open windows is much much much safer than a sealed room with 14+ other people....

HamSandwich

I'm currently at signalling school in York, it's still happening as we are "key workers" and the training is essential. As long as the hotels are open, there is no reason for us not to be training.

Rockhopper

Sorry if it's already been mentioned somewhere in the 419 other pages here, but can anyone recommend a good book or training material to pass the maths part of the signaller online tests? It's the one with all the bar charts, pie charts, and predicting company profits etc etc
It’s just very basic percentages that you need to be good at.

SWTurbo

All,

I’ve recently applied for the Ops Apprentice vacancy and have seen one or two brief mentions of it on this thread. Any East Anglia folks around (or anyone) that is able to shed some light as to what it’s like? Anyone else taken this route?

From what I gather, it’s a year of all things NR, plus IST, then a signallers job at the end or a corporate job for those that want it?

Thanks

SW

LincsBobby

Anybody had the same?
Seems that mine is carrying on as normal as long as it's ok with the on duty signaller at the time.

High Dyke

Established Member
Seems that mine is carrying on as normal as long as it's ok with the on duty signaller at the time.
Aye, that was the agreed procedure. There are a couple of locations where there's insufficient room for two people in the signalbox, and this is reflected in the risk assessment.

SiggerSigAhh

Hi, is there any word on the 2021 pay deal? If memory serves the old one only ran as far as last year so this year will be a new one. I haven't heard anything so just imagine NWR and The RMT are in the early stages of feeling each other up, but if anyone knows anything it would be great to hear it. Cheers.

Woody27

For anyone that’s been applying for signaller vacancies, and have then been told that you didn’t meet the grade, waiting 6 months to be able to re take the tests that you have probably failed, you won’t get the chance to re take these tests unless you have requested they are re set, a painful lesson I have just learnt! If I’d have known this, I could have re sat the one I’d failed, and hopefully progressed a little further! Just thought I’d mention it in case someone else is in a similar position

Last edited:

ArchangelA

For anyone that’s been applying for signaller vacancies, and have then been told that you didn’t meet the grade, waiting 6 months to be able to re take the tests that you have probably failed, you won’t get the chance to re take these tests unless you have requested they are re set, a painful lessen I have just learnt! If I’d have known this, I could have re sat the one I’d failed, and hopefully progressed a little further! Just thought I’d mention it in case someone else is in a similar position
So if you apply for a job and get through to the tests (and have previously failed 2 out of 3), are you then saying that they will make you sit all three again and not only the ones that you failed before???

Woody27

So if you apply for a job and get through to the tests (and have previously failed 2 out of 3), are you then saying that they will make you sit all three again and not only the ones that you failed before???
You won’t get the opportunity to take any again if you don’t request that the failed ones are re set, the passed ones, I believe, are valid for 12 months, I was under the impression that I would be asked to re sit the ones I’d failed after 6 months, but that is only if you have requested they are re set, finding out which ones you have failed at is not always easy, as feedback is quite difficult to get!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi, is there any word on the 2021 pay deal? If memory serves the old one only ran as far as last year so this year will be a new one. I haven't heard anything so just imagine NWR and The RMT are in the early stages of feeling each other up, but if anyone knows anything it would be great to hear it. Cheers.

Only word I’ve heard is there won’t be one, there’ll be the tea party but no raise.
Basically we work all year, forgo terms and generally bend over backwards with zero reward.

Toots

Anybody had the same?
It's been stopped on West Coast for two weeks.As has previously been said,the size of box makes a difference,even in normal times the amount of colds and flu that you catch can be a nuisance,a situation that isn't helped by pointless MOM visits who then take it from box to box<(

Questiontime

Hi everyone, hope you are all ok.

Would someone please send me the shift patterns for 8 and 12 hour shifts. I’m started on the future opportunities course shortly, however I’m wanting to look at childcare options in advance.

Thanks

headshot119

Established Member
Hi everyone, hope you are all ok.

Would someone please send me the shift patterns for 8 and 12 hour shifts. I’m started on the future opportunities course shortly, however I’m wanting to look at childcare options in advance.

Thanks

There is no standard 8 or 12 hour roster. If you look through this thread there are various examples of rosters, but really you'd need to find out what your area use to get an idea of childcare etc.

Questiontime

There is no standard 8 or 12 hour roster. If you look through this thread there are various examples of rosters, but really you'd need to find out what your area use to get an idea of childcare etc.
Thank you for that, I will do some digging

Saracen_83

Only word I’ve heard is there won’t be one, there’ll be the tea party but no raise.
Basically we work all year, forgo terms and generally bend over backwards with zero reward.

im no expert but heard that this year will not be a pay rise or any new deal due to Covid-19 ha I g such an impact on the company (and of course the country)

talk around here is most we can hope for is the current “deal” and therefore terms and conditions being extended... but it all just hear say to be honest.

personal opinion, I can’t see us getting a rise at all. Maybe next year!!???

im no expert but heard that this year will not be a pay rise or any new deal due to Covid-19 ha I g such an impact on the company (and of course the country)

talk around here is most we can hope for is the current “deal” and therefore terms and conditions being extended... but it all just hear say to be honest.

personal opinion, I can’t see us getting a rise at all. Maybe next year!!???
I think you're right. The government is hemorrhaging money supporting the economy at the moment and it will have to be paid for.

Personally I have no problem with not getting a pay rise when so many people near me don't have a job or are furloughed and don't know whether there will be one for them when things get back to normal. I know others will have a different view but thats my personal opinion

ffesti

I’m currently at school in Manchester. We’ve been told we’ll carry on as long as the hotels are open but afaik all in-box trainees are suspended on NW&C until further notice.