• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

mdfc

Hi , Thanks for replying! The job was advertised as a 2 year FTC G6, based at the control centre in Birmingham. Training to start in September, then field training, then once passed out, qualified at G6. There is a big recruitment drive as the 60 hour as week policy comes in to play, so I was told. They need more trained Signallers.
Hi mate, I've also had an interview for the job and I'm waiting to hear back. Mind me asking what the 60 hour week thing is you've mentioned?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
. Mind me asking what the 60 hour week thing is you've mentioned?
At the moment the company rules for working hours allow a signaller to be rostered to work up to 72 hours or 13 shifts in a row without a day off, or more if it has been risk assessed and signed off by the line manager. This assessment typically takes the form of the manager phoning to ask ‘Do you feel too tired to carry on working? No? Fine.’ because any other answer would mean that the shift goes uncovered and the trains stop. Traditionally many areas of the country have relied for years on lots of overtime and signaller‘s good will to cover holidays, sickness and unfilled vacancies to keep lines open and the trains running.

The government regulatory body which oversees Network Rail, the ORR, is unhappy at the current state of play around workforce fatigue and working hours and has instructed the company to improve. As a result new rules are coming in shortly which will place an absolute maximum limit on rostering of 60 hours, no exceptions allowed. This means that most areas will need more signallers (in particular relief posts) give a bit more flexibility to cover the gap that’s currently filled with overtime. That’s more or less it in a nutshell.

mdfc

At the moment the company rules for working hours allow a signaller to be rostered to work up to 72 hours or 13 shifts in a row without a day off, or more if it has been risk assessed and signed off by the line manager. This assessment typically takes the form of the manager phoning to ask ‘Do you feel too tired to carry on working? No? Fine.’ because any other answer would mean that the shift goes uncovered and the trains stop. Traditionally many areas of the country have relied for years on lots of overtime and signaller‘s good will to cover holidays, sickness and unfilled vacancies to keep lines open and the trains running.

The government regulatory body which oversees Network Rail, the ORR, is unhappy at the current state of play around workforce fatigue and working hours and has instructed the company to improve. As a result new rules are coming in shortly which will place an absolute maximum limit on rostering of 60 hours, no exceptions allowed. This means that most areas will need more signallers (in particular relief posts) give a bit more flexibility to cover the gap that’s currently filled with overtime. That’s more or less it in a nutshell.
Absolute legend, thanks so much for explaining that, really appreciate it!

LGiusto

Hi mate, I've also had an interview for the job and I'm waiting to hear back. Mind me asking what the 60 hour week thing is you've mentioned?
Sorry I didn't reply to this, it looks it's now been explained better than I ever could!
I am still waiting to hear. Best of luck, keep me posted on how you get on.

Clydefrog

Hello, just wondering what does the interview process involve with the online tests? I heard maths and situational judgement test. Do you have to do the maths test on a video call? I heard this may be the case. Thanks

Dan1982

I took the tests a couple of weeks ago and they involved concentration, reactions, multitasking and working memory. All tests had practice questions.

ArchangelA

Ah cool was there any video calls or video tests? Thanks
If you get invited to the online tests, this will involve an SJT test followed by about 5 psychometric tests to test what Dan said above. They will be timed to put you under a certain amount of pressure. If successful after this you may get invited to perform an online video interview and assessment centre.

Just received news of yet another failed application for a grade 6 role. NWR have given me feedback already. Apparrently the way that I structured my answers around the STAR technique could've been better. I always find I ramble whilst giving an answer to a question, especially when nerves kick in. Does anyone have any good tips to use when answering their questions and sticking to STAR rigidly????

Last edited:

SWTurbo

If you get invited to the online tests, this will involve an SJT test followed by about 5 psychometric tests to test what Dan said above. They will be timed to put you under a certain amount of pressure. If successful after this you may get invited to perform an online video interview and assessment centre.

Just received news of yet another failed application for a grade 6 role. NWR have given me feedback already. Apparrently the way that I structured my answers around the STAR technique could've been better. I always find I ramble whilst giving an answer to a question, especially when nerves kick in. Does anyone have any good tips to use when answering their questions and sticking to STAR rigidly????
Luckily my interview was online (don't know when the switch back to in-person will be) so I had index cards/flashcards all over the edge of my laptop screen with STAR, NTS, Safety vision etc. I had each NTS, then below them I had some little bullet points to jog my memory as to what I wanted to talk about, same for the more generic interview style questions. I don't know how the direct entry signallers interview is done (I've come in via the operations apprenticeship) but I'd imagine it's very similar!

Safety is always the biggie for them, so if you can tie your examples to that then it will be a big plus!

Sorry to hear that. I tend to ramble in interviews also, but what really changed my approach was taking a much longer pause before starting to answer. I know that sounds condescendingly simple, but there's always a temptation to leap straight into waffling without first forming the basic structure of the answer, often for fear of silence and to try and keep the conversation moving. Taking five, even up to ten seconds to pause and consider what skills & strengths you want to ultimately draw out of the statement can be a real help in keeping the answer conscise and neat to the STAR format.

More generally, having that pause and chosing to talk when you want to (not just immediately when the question finishes) can be good at settling nerves and making you feel in charge of the conversation. Don't feel embarrassed of the silence: the interviewers would rather wait a few seconds more to hear a good, considered answer than get a quick, bumbled one (they may be happy for a few seconds longer to finish scribbling notes from the last question too!). I'd say that having the composure to take a moment's pause in a preassured situation, to reflect and consider one's approach, isn't a bad soft-skill to demonstrate in an interview for signalling, either!

Defenestrate

I know the feeling, being a bit of a waffler myself.

Having a brief tactical pause could help, as mentioned - I will have a drink there to swig on, to give me a moment to reflect on the question before jumping straight in with a rushed answer.

The 69 questions from the application are a useful guide as to what NTS questions may be asked (in external/non signaller interviews). Review these, and consider how you would answer if you were asked them, or similar, in the interview itself. This should allow you to practice, and also potentially improve that part of the application for future jobs. Ideally you will then have some solid examples ready to go, already structured, that can be used for each NTS.

More interview practice - friends/family can help - will often make the real thing flow much better.

Highlandspring

Established Member
There were some good signaller specific interview tips posted in this thread in the last 18 months or so, it would be worth trawling back if you have the time even just to refresh your memory if you’ve already read them.

wingnut1982

I know the feeling, being a bit of a waffler myself.

Having a brief tactical pause could help, as mentioned - I will have a drink there to swig on, to give me a moment to reflect on the question before jumping straight in with a rushed answer.

The 69 questions from the application are a useful guide as to what NTS questions may be asked (in external/non signaller interviews). Review these, and consider how you would answer if you were asked them, or similar, in the interview itself. This should allow you to practice, and also potentially improve that part of the application for future jobs. Ideally you will then have some solid examples ready to go, already structured, that can be used for each NTS.

More interview practice - friends/family can help - will often make the real thing flow much better.
Where are these 69 questions? I've read through the entirety of this thread and seen them mentioned multiple times but never a link to them or a location where they are? I may be being an idiot and missing the blatantly obvious but I didn't have to complete these as part of my application

ArchangelA

It is but I’m fortunate to already be employed by NWR in a different role so not all lost. I hope you manage a successful application in the future :)

Where are these 69 questions? I've read through the entirety of this thread and seen them mentioned multiple times but never a link to them or a location where they are? I may be being an idiot and missing the blatantly obvious but I didn't have to complete these as part of my application
They dont run the 69 question thing anymore. It used to be part of the signaller application form process where theyd ask you 70 questions. Some were only relevant to people that work in the industry already (such as crossing keepers or signallers), so a external candidate wouldnt be able to answer them all unless you had relevant experience.

wingnut1982

They dont run the 69 question thing anymore. It used to be part of the signaller application form process where theyd ask you 70 questions. Some were only relevant to people that work in the industry already (such as crossing keepers or signallers), so a external candidate wouldnt be able to answer them all unless you had relevant experience.
Makes sense, thanks

Mark1503

Apologies for butting in to a conversation but I’m driving myself crazy trying to find something that was on this thread! It was a document highlighting overtime rate/rdw rate for nr signallers of all grades. Anyone know where I can find it or did i make it up maybe

Dave Tasty

Mark1503

Thanks for replies, at least I wasn’t going mad!

Once again, I’m sure I’ve seen it on here but does anyone know the roster for Colchester signalling centre?

Last edited:

Dandan062

I’ve PM’d you mate
I’m interested in this as well. Can you PM me

This was my issue apparently so any advice would be gratefully received…

WoollyMammoth

Cheers guys!
Without being disingenuous the responses work perfectly with the ‘STAR’ method, writing the ‘situation was’… ‘the end result was’ are perfectly reasonable. The issues around waffling may be to do with the content. Focus on exactly what you did to make the situation better, don’t worry about what other people did. Be efficient with your answer, you have got to consider that your answer will be screened by another human!

KerryLee182

Does anyone know what the definitive position of NR is regarding relocating to take up a position as a Signaller?

There seems to be conflicting information - for example on here in this thread there’s much talk about this being done to get a foot in the door before getting a job nearer home. But how does this fit with having to live within 60 minutes of the location you’re applying to?

I applied to a Signaller role in Wales and I'm currently based in London, there was an option to select "happy to relocate" and I got to the next stage (the tests) so they don't seem to mind as long as you state that you're happy to relocate for the job.