• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Nemo01

Does Network rail allow re-location for signallers now? I've no real family/house ties to my current area and am happy to move to different parts of the UK for a new job/career, but it says on NR signaller adverts:

"We are looking for Signaller apprentices for the specific locations named in the advert. Our fatigue management standard means we're unable to accept any applications from candidates not already living within a 60 minute commute time of the location(s) they wish to be considered against"
I relocated for my signalling job last year. This stipulation may be specific to that particular job advert seeing as it mentions "Signaller apprentices"

When I submitted my application I was able to select an option to say I was willing to relocate. At my interview the relocation was discussed and it was not an issue for them

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

If you apply for a job currently with that wording in the advert and your home address is beyond the 60 minute limit then you won’t progress beyond the initial application.

Devonish

I relocated for my signalling job last year. This stipulation may be specific to that particular job advert seeing as it mentions "Signaller apprentices"

When I submitted my application I was able to select an option to say I was willing to relocate. At my interview the relocation was discussed and it was not an issue for them
I think for a good few years all new signallers have been classed as "apprentices".

The old NR careers website had the "willing to relocate option" but I don't think the new portal (which doesn't actually seem to be advertised or link to the careers section on the NR website) has this...

As an aside I've wondered for ages why zero signaller jobs have been listed at: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/careers/careers-search/

And only found at today that signaller jobs are now posted at: https://careers.networkrail.co.uk/

Defenestrate

I think for a good few years all new signallers have been classed as "apprentices".

The old NR careers website had the "willing to relocate option" but I don't think the new portal (which doesn't actually seem to be advertised or link to the careers section on the NR website) has this...

As an aside I've wondered for ages why zero signaller jobs have been listed at: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/careers/careers-search/

And only found at today that signaller jobs are now posted at: https://careers.networkrail.co.uk/
Reference the careers sites, see my recent post with all relevant links to follow.

sargentsiri

Thank-you so much for posting this, I had been wondering for weeks why no vacancies had been posted, I just assumed it was down to cuts!

Just for my intrigue, why have they done this?

luketp

I applied for the recent Cambridge PSB job and the "willing to relocate" question was there. I do not know if it impacts on your chances or not (i'm within 60 minutes already) but it definitely gets asked.

Pugman

Can anyone shed any light on which workstations the internally advertised jobs are for at the WROC? I can see 2x Grade 4, 1x Grade 5 (relief) and 1x 7.... Also, are the Grade 2 Crossing Keepers at the WROC signaller trained? Thanks.

ButtonMoon

Got a NR Signallers course coming up, and just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what happens in the week scheduled on site before training actually starts? Also, is that week paid? Contract seems to suggest employment doesn't officially start until the actual training part of the course begins a week later.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Got a NR Signallers course coming up, and just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what happens in the week scheduled on site before training actually starts? Also, is that week paid? Contract seems to suggest employment doesn't officially start until the actual training part of the course begins a week later.
The first day is usually taken up with a company induction then sorting out stuff like Rule Books, uniform and PPE order etc.. The rest of the week you'd usually be given a bit of time in the signalbox to meet you new colleagues and see how the job works (without any expectation to actually do or learn anything yet) and perhaps some quick visits to other locations of interest. Once you're on the books, i.e. from the start date in your letter from HR, you'll be paid, pro rata until you've been in a full 4 weeks. You should be given your employee number and pay information during the induction.

ArkUTD

Finished by interview yesterday feeling like I didn't do too well, but maybe that's a good thing as my last 2 I thought went really well but didn't get them haha.

Good luck to anyone else going for the Cornwall jobs!

ArkUTD

Where do you feel you went wrong?
Just feel my answers weren't as in depth as I had previously done before and a bit of stuttering. We'll see how it goes but as they said I'd done well to get so far so I'll take that as a positive.

Though I do have to say the new software to do the call over Called 'TopScore' is a little finicky, not the best user experience for a conference call which I think might have put me off too.

ArchangelA

Just feel my answers weren't as in depth as I had previously done before and a bit of stuttering. We'll see how it goes but as they said I'd done well to get so far so I'll take that as a positive.

Though I do have to say the new software to do the call over Called 'TopScore' is a little finicky, not the best user experience for a conference call which I think might have put me off too.
I felt like that last time I interviewed for the job, and you're right to remember that you did well to get as far as you did. I'm not aware of the new software that you mention, I think I used Microsoft Teams last time and the signal kept dropping in and out too which made me keep saying "pardon?" all the while. You cannot beat face to face interviews.

Mark1503

Afternoon you wonderful people, anyone able to provide information about Cambridge PSB? Shift pattern, grades, anything would be useful? Thanks

ROCsteadycrew

Can anyone shed any light on which workstations the internally advertised jobs are for at the WROC? I can see 2x Grade 4, 1x Grade 5 (relief) and 1x 7.... Also, are the Grade 2 Crossing Keepers at the WROC signaller trained? Thanks.
I don't work there but this post is from Tom Quinne in 2018 (hope Tom doesn't mind me reposting this info..) Hopefully someone will clarify what has changed and what links the current vacancies are for.

From Tom Quinne 20/9/18

Newport Link Grade 6
Severn Tunnel WestCad Classic
East Usk WestCad Classic
Newport WestCad Classic
Ebbw WestCad Classic

Cardiff link Grade 7
Cardiff Mainline MCS
Cardiff Valleys MCS
Vale of Glamorgan MCS

Rhyl Link Grade 4
Rhyl WestCad Classic

Shrewsbury Link Grade 4
Shrewsbury North WestCad Classic

St Fagans Level Crossing Link Grade 2
St Fagans, St George’s, Llantrisant & Rhoose.

Future workstations
Swansea to Port Talbot probably Grade 7 (March 2019)
Tondu SB area CP6
Park Junction SB area CP6
March 2019 fringe to Carmarthen Junction SB area CP6.

No other migration into Wales ROC in CP6.

Visionitmeans

I was on a reserve list following an interview. I got offered a position as a pool signaller a few months later when a signalling school position became available. It was a 12 month FTC. I then applied for permanent positions whilst at school and secured one before leaving. I have since moved on to a relief role more local and absolutely love it. Good luck.
Oh that's brilliant to hear. Do you remember what your application showed as on the careers portal? and did you receive a call or email? Thanks again for your post, really appreciate it!

Pugman

I don't work there but this post is from Tom Quinne in 2018 (hope Tom doesn't mind me reposting this info..) Hopefully someone will clarify what has changed and what links the current vacancies are for.

From Tom Quinne 20/9/18

Newport Link Grade 6
Severn Tunnel WestCad Classic
East Usk WestCad Classic
Newport WestCad Classic
Ebbw WestCad Classic

Cardiff link Grade 7
Cardiff Mainline MCS
Cardiff Valleys MCS
Vale of Glamorgan MCS

Rhyl Link Grade 4
Rhyl WestCad Classic

Shrewsbury Link Grade 4
Shrewsbury North WestCad Classic

St Fagans Level Crossing Link Grade 2
St Fagans, St George’s, Llantrisant & Rhoose.

Future workstations
Swansea to Port Talbot probably Grade 7 (March 2019)
Tondu SB area CP6
Park Junction SB area CP6
March 2019 fringe to Carmarthen Junction SB area CP6.

No other migration into Wales ROC in CP6.
Thanks ROCsteadycrew.

ArkUTD

I felt like that last time I interviewed for the job, and you're right to remember that you did well to get as far as you did. I'm not aware of the new software that you mention, I think I used Microsoft Teams last time and the signal kept dropping in and out too which made me keep saying "pardon?" all the while. You cannot beat face to face interviews.
Welp, I've heard news sooner than I thought I would, I've been put onto the Reserve list, so not the result I wanted but I'd see this as a step forward at least. Well done to anyone who has got one of the Cornwall jobs!

Does Network rail allow re-location for signallers now? I've no real family/house ties to my current area and am happy to move to different parts of the UK for a new job/career, but it says on NR signaller adverts:

"We are looking for Signaller apprentices for the specific locations named in the advert. Our fatigue management standard means we're unable to accept any applications from candidates not already living within a 60 minute commute time of the location(s) they wish to be considered against"
I tried to apply for this application (Signaller Apprentices (Hereford, Shrewsbury, Didcot, Bristol, Exeter)) and it didn't give me the option of relocating like other applications I've done. so i expect that they really are just looking for people in the local area.

Frothy_B

Hello everyone. I've applied for a couple of positions and have completed the online assessment. I haven't been selected for an interview yet but after reading through some of this thread I thought I should ask you guys currently within the job a couple of questions to see if it's worth continuing to apply in the future if I'm unsuccessful this time around.

Are there height/BMI limits in regard to the medical? I'm 6'9" and a 5/6xl in t-shirt size, although that is partially for the length requirement. My Dad is a driver and I'm aware that height limits on drivers were introduced, do they extend to other aspects of the railway also?

I pass a HGV standard medical every year, alongside getting medical clearance to travel overseas with my current employment, so despite my size I currently have no medical issues. I understand the Train Driver medical is far more stringent than a HGV medical. Is the medical for Signallers also as strict, or more in line with a HGV medical?

My last question is more to do with the Company Culture of Network Rail in regard to personal appearance. Are there strict appearance guidelines? I have long hair (I know opinion is deeply divided on men with long hair). I don't particularly wish to cut it off if I don't need to, although I've always held the stance that if management require me to then I will. I currently work within the civil service and it has not yet proved to be a problem. Given the growing number of women finding employment within the industry I would assume long hair isn't an issue from a health and safety point of view. As long as it's kept clean and tied back during duty time, would it be considered acceptable or would it likely go against me in the event I reached the interview stage?

Thank you for you time!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hello everyone. I've applied for a couple of positions and have completed the online assessment. I haven't been selected for an interview yet but after reading through some of this thread I thought I should ask you guys currently within the job a couple of questions to see if it's worth continuing to apply in the future if I'm unsuccessful this time around.

Are there height/BMI limits in regard to the medical? I'm 6'9" and a 5/6xl in t-shirt size, although that is partially for the length requirement. My Dad is a driver and I'm aware that height limits on drivers were introduced, do they extend to other aspects of the railway also?

I pass a HGV standard medical every year, alongside getting medical clearance to travel overseas with my current employment, so despite my size I currently have no medical issues. I understand the Train Driver medical is far more stringent than a HGV medical. Is the medical for Signallers also as strict, or more in line with a HGV medical?

My last question is more to do with the Company Culture of Network Rail in regard to personal appearance. Are there strict appearance guidelines? I have long hair (I know opinion is deeply divided on men with long hair). I don't particularly wish to cut it off if I don't need to, although I've always held the stance that if management require me to then I will. I currently work within the civil service and it has not yet proved to be a problem. Given the growing number of women finding employment within the industry I would assume long hair isn't an issue from a health and safety point of view. As long as it's kept clean and tied back during duty time, would it be considered acceptable or would it likely go against me in the event I reached the interview stage?

Thank you for you time!
Hello!!

No issue with height limits on an institutional level. although some smaller signal boxes are in the “duck or grouse” category.

Signallers medical is fairly stringent but most people don’t have too many issues, not sure as to how it compares to drivers to be honest

Long hair is no issue whatsoever, plenty of longer haired folk of all genders in the grades (myself included) and it doesn’t present any issues, tied or untied. (We have a policy of diversity and inclusion at NR that is taken seriously, this includes hairstyles amongst other things)

There are few if any strict appearance guidelines (nothing violating the D&I policy and red and green are restricted in a few boxes in case a driver should see it and take it as an instruction) , some of the more, quite frankly, backwards managers insist on uniform but that depends on location and is rapidly disappearing (and the NR uniform is a fairly broad church anyway). Some locations require PPE which is separate from uniform but, naturally, the company will provide that. No issues in sizing with those either (I’m of similar clothing size, though an inch or two shorter)

Hope we get to welcome you to the fold soon!!

Last edited:

Alex95

Hi all, bit of an odd question but what are the welfare facilities like at signal boxes? I'm thinking about the old fashioned victorian style boxes.

I work outdoors at the moment without any facilities so just wondering if signal boxes contain; toilets, running water, is there any kitchen facilities at all or is bringing packed lunch the standard? Thanks very much!

ArchangelA

Hi all, bit of an odd question but what are the welfare facilities like at signal boxes? I'm thinking about the old fashioned victorian style boxes.

I work outdoors at the moment without any facilities so just wondering if signal boxes contain; toilets, running water, is there any kitchen facilities at all or is bringing packed lunch the standard? Thanks very much!
You will normally get a toilet (inside or outside), sink, and sometimes some form of cooker or microwave. Most boxes have a comfy sofa or seat too

Six Bells

My box dates back to the 1880s, we have an outdoor toilet at the back of the box down at lineside level (Previously there was a portaloo style toilet in its place) In the box we have a sink, kettle, microwave, hotplate, a comfortable arm chair and an office chair at the desk where we fill in the Train Register / paperwork. We used to have a toaster but the lad who brought it in took it with him when he moved to another box and nobody has bothered to replace it! There is also an electric heater mounted to the wall.

Not the Ritz, but more than enough for comfort / heating a meal / basic cooking.

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
No armchairs or sofas in Scotland (banned by the comfort police years ago), but all the Scottish mechanical boxes were refurbished around 2001 with generously sized kitchens and inside toilets. Some places have fancy coffee machines, toasters etc.. bought by the signallers themselves. Usually plenty of wall mounted snd freestanding heaters too.

HamSandwich

My box is a portacabin, with an indoor toilet, little kitchen including a small fridge, little oven and two rings, microwave, kettle, two knackered computer style chairs and a desk with a computer, printer etc. Some of the more traditional boxes on my line still have outside loos, some are luckier and have them indoors. Not seen a box around here with a sofa or armchair in it, that sounds very comfortable! There's also a plumbed in water cooler too, which is a godsend when it's boiling hot, you think you might melt, and the fan is just blowing hot air around :oops:

Qball

My box is a portacabin, with an indoor toilet, little kitchen including a small fridge, little oven and two rings, microwave, kettle, two knackered computer style chairs and a desk with a computer, printer etc. Some of the more traditional boxes on my line still have outside loos, some are luckier and have them indoors. Not seen a box around here with a sofa or armchair in it, that sounds very comfortable! There's also a plumbed in water cooler too, which is a godsend when it's boiling hot, you think you might melt, and the fan is just blowing hot air around :oops:
Ask for a mobile AC unit we have them on our line.

Kraken

Not to drop the level too much but the toilet situation thing has taken some getting used to after decades working in an office environment being able to go to the loo whenever I want. I’ve just managed to get myself to the point where I can do some, ahem, ‘forward planning’ so that I’m not pacing desperately up and down the box when it’s solid trains for an hour or so, but I’ve had a few uncomfortable passages of time getting to this point! The boxes with inside toilets sound like the absolute heights of luxury.

Hi all,

Recently been offered to interview for a Crossing Keeper role at Broxbourne.

Does anyone have any information about the station and the crossing itself? I have had a look and can only find very little information. I believe it is on Wharf Road?

Any information would be very much appreciated!