• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

wingnut1982

Whilst that is not unrealistic I would definitely not use that as a figure for financial planning. I am on a bit more that £35k base salary and I have only managed to come close to or exceed a £47k pro rata salary on a couple of pay periods this year, even with taking a decent amount of overtime. I think it would be easier to achieve on a 12hr shift pattern.
What’s your 28 day shift pattern look like Kraken?

I worked out that salary based on this roster example…

1635875269929.jpeg

I then worked out how many of each shift and added up all the amounts using the pay scale document

1635875344464.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks to everyone who has replied, I think that the general opinion is then that Network Rail are quite relaxed about uniform unless you relaly have to (for special reasons).
You get the odd LOM who’s up their own bottom about it but for the most part the above is true

Anneruon

Whilst that is not unrealistic I would definitely not use that as a figure for financial planning. I am on a bit more that £35k base salary and I have only managed to come close to or exceed a £47k pro rata salary on a couple of pay periods this year, even with taking a decent amount of overtime. I think it would be easier to achieve on a 12hr shift pattern.
Would you say 40kish is more the normal?
I'm planning to base living costs like mortgage etc around the base salary but wondering how much extra the shift allowance and other things will add for bonus spending money.
All theoretical at this point! Got my fingers crossed to be successful in my application

obibup

Can anyone enlighten me on the new interview format? Plenty of information on here regarding the old format but it seems to have changed recently.

Is it still competency based around the 8 non technical skills? Really want to give this my best shot.

Jellyfish22

Can anyone enlighten me on the new interview format? Plenty of information on here regarding the old format but it seems to have changed recently.

Is it still competency based around the 8 non technical skills? Really want to give this my best shot.
You will be asked a bunch of competency based questions relating to the non-technical skills and they may throw in some scenario based questions too. Make sure you do your research to understand what the role involves. Practise using STAR method

obibup

You will be asked a bunch of competency based questions relating to the non-technical skills and they may throw in some scenario based questions too. Make sure you do your research to understand what the role involves. Practise using STAR method
Thank you kindly Jellyfish22, that's most helpful. The interview isn't for another few weeks so there's plenty of time for me to research more about the role, the NR website itself looks to have plenty to go at!

Sy_!

Evening all, quick one, if you have applied for 2 signaller roles (very close proximity to each other) and are lucky enough to get through to interview , do you always get a interview for each role or do they sometimes interview for both roles at the same interview?

thanks

Mi&Li

Evening all, quick one, if you have applied for 2 signaller roles (very close proximity to each other) and are lucky enough to get through to interview , do you always get a interview for each role or do they sometimes interview for both roles at the same interview?

thanks
That would depend, if it is the same LOM the interview would be for both.

Kraken

What’s your 28 day shift pattern look like Kraken?

I worked out that salary based on this roster example…

View attachment 105084

I then worked out how many of each shift and added up all the amounts using the pay scale document

View attachment 105085
Ah, not sure if you just added how much you get paid for, say, an early onto the base salary. It doesn’t work like that. The base salary includes all your booked shifts so you get no extra money for working a late or an early. For nights the only extra money on top of base you get is the night premium. The only extras you get are if you work your rest days (125%), work Sundays (150%) or nights (whatever night premium for your grade). There’s bank holidays as well to consider. At least that’s how it works for me (I’m relief so don’t have a fixed roster as such, just booked rest days). Apologies if I’ve misunderstood how you arrived at the £47k.

I think adding 10% onto base salary is a realistic, possibly slightly conservative way to arrive at what you might get. I’ve certainly been guilty of having a heavy overtime month and getting used to the fat payslip, only to be shocked when it drops back to the normal level! The overtime is nice but it really doesn’t do to either financially plan around it or rely on it.

Would you say 40kish is more the normal?
I'm planning to base living costs like mortgage etc around the base salary but wondering how much extra the shift allowance and other things will add for bonus spending money.
All theoretical at this point! Got my fingers crossed to be successful in my application
You could do £40k as a grade 3 I reckon, depending on how much overtime is available at your location. You would have to smash a few rest days on to achieve that though. As ever, take everything I say with a large grain of salt as I only have experience of a small set of locations and have been doing the job for less than a year.

Last edited:

Chrisjhbrown

Is it still competency based around the 8 non technical skills? Really want to give this my

They will ask standard hr questions make sure you get in Network rail vaules the life saving rules and where to find the safe work instructions they are on connect. Also do your home work about the mileage of the patch you will cover with additional info ie level crossings what eco you will be leasing form A’s with lines speeds ect

Last edited:

Buiadh

Hi folks, after a recent vacancy I've been advised that I'm on a reserve list for the next 6 months. What does this mean in regards to a vacancy that comes up during that time, will I still need to interview again for it?

Has anyone had any luck after being put on a reserve list?

Cheers.

ArchangelA

Hi folks, after a recent vacancy I've been advised that I'm on a reserve list for the next 6 months. What does this mean in regards to a vacancy that comes up during that time, will I still need to interview again for it?

Has anyone had any luck after being put on a reserve list?

Cheers.
Yeah got told 4 months after having an unsuccessful email that I was on reserve. Got offered a G6 job just over a month later

ArchangelA

Nice one. Good to know, thanks.

So you didn't have to interview again?
No, they literally called me out of the blue, asked if I was still interested (do bears **** in the woods?? lol) and told me my start date and signalling school dates. Sent my contract out the next day with all the other instructions about providing further identification documentation so they can run all their checks. Sent me for a safety criical medical MOnday just gone and now awaiting results of a drugs and aolchol test lol. Have my start date 29th November. Be very aware though they literally gave me 2 days to make a decision before I had to give my months notice in and this was before the medical and checks being completed. Very short notice.

Anneruon

Ah, not sure if you just added how much you get paid for, say, an early onto the base salary. It doesn’t work like that. The base salary includes all your booked shifts so you get no extra money for working a late or an early. For nights the only extra money on top of base you get is the night premium. The only extras you get are if you work your rest days (125%), work Sundays (150%) or nights (whatever night premium for your grade). There’s bank holidays as well to consider. At least that’s how it works for me (I’m relief so don’t have a fixed roster as such, just booked rest days). Apologies if I’ve misunderstood how you arrived at the £47k.

I think adding 10% onto base salary is a realistic, possibly slightly conservative way to arrive at what you might get. I’ve certainly been guilty of having a heavy overtime month and getting used to the fat payslip, only to be shocked when it drops back to the normal level! The overtime is nice but it really doesn’t do to either financially plan around it or rely on it.

You could do £40k as a grade 3 I reckon, depending on how much overtime is available at your location. You would have to smash a few rest days on to achieve that though. As ever, take everything I say with a large grain of salt as I only have experience of a small set of locations and have been doing the job for less than a year.
What about for a grade 4? Would that be more reasonable without having to smash in lots of rest days?
How does the shift allowance work? Is it a set % extra on top of base salary?

Buiadh

No, they literally called me out of the blue, asked if I was still interested (do bears **** in the woods?? lol) and told me my start date and signalling school dates. Sent my contract out the next day with all the other instructions about providing further identification documentation so they can run all their checks. Sent me for a safety criical medical MOnday just gone and now awaiting results of a drugs and aolchol test lol. Have my start date 29th November. Be very aware though they literally gave me 2 days to make a decision before I had to give my months notice in and this was before the medical and checks being completed. Very short notice.
Thanks for that, I'll keep my fingers crossed then!

Good luck to you!

Kraken

What about for a grade 4? Would that be more reasonable without having to smash in lots of rest days?
How does the shift allowance work? Is it a set % extra on top of base salary?

Have a look at the sheet below, grade 4 is £34,698 a year salary. So that is what you will be paid if you never do any overtime or Sundays and you only work day shifts. You will get no extra money on top of that.

If your location also does nights then you will get paid an extra £15.25 for every night shift that you work (=10% of a day’s pay).

If your location works Sundays then you will get paid the Sunday rate for any Sundays that you work, this will be on top of your normal payslip, so that’s extra cash.

If you choose to work any rest days then you will get the RDW daily rate. Again this is on top of your normal pay, extra cash.

The key thing is not to add on the usual basic daily rate onto your salary to work this out. The basic daily rate IS your salary. Sundays and Rest Day Work are extras.

Ultimately I don’t know what your location works and what your roster will be so it’s impossible to know how many Sundays or Rest Days you will be able to work. If you can live off the base salary then you know that you are going to be OK. Please don’t take the job if you can’t afford to live off the base salary because then if the overtime is not available you’re going to struggle. Also please don’t make any decisions based on stuff that strangers off the internet like me tell you :)

Attachments

• C8FF2055-1489-4DCC-AA13-DE6582B8557F.jpeg
    C8FF2055-1489-4DCC-AA13-DE6582B8557F.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 141

RailNoob

Just wondering if anyone knows at what point you recieve your new grade & FP as a relief, im due to pass my 2nd box out this week coming but im hearing mixed answers (it'll be less than 13 weeks after the job was offered). TIA

Qball

Just wondering if anyone knows at what point you recieve your new grade & FP as a relief, im due to pass my 2nd box out this week coming but im hearing mixed answers (it'll be less than 13 weeks after the job was offered). TIA
When I was relief I got it after 3 boxes one of which was my highest grade box

Early08

I have a Grade 2 Signaller interview coming up and wondered if anyone had any advice. The location is North Wales and I come from an aviation background.
Thanks

Kraken

I got my grade when I passed out of the new box but I think it’s dependent on your LOM when you get FP. I think there’s a good argument for getting FP when you pass out of your first location, after all you are then on the roster and need to be flexible as to what shifts you are going to be working.

ArchangelA

I have a Grade 2 Signaller interview coming up and wondered if anyone had any advice. The location is North Wales and I come from an aviation background.
Thanks

In short make sure you know all about NR and especially the Safety Vision. You'll be asked to provide evidence of you meeting all the NTS criteria so make sure that you have lots of fine examples that you can talk about. Above all else, be yourself, smile lots, and best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailNoob

When I was relief I got it after 3 boxes one of which was my highest grade box

I got my grade when I passed out of the new box but I think it’s dependent on your LOM when you get FP. I think there’s a good argument for getting FP when you pass out of your first location, after all you are then on the roster and need to be flexible as to what shifts you are going to be working.

Cheers both, im passing my 2nd box out tomorrow and having spoke to another signaller who has read the green book it seems I am due my FP as soon as I pass my first box as per the attached so gonna mention it to my LOM I should get the higher grade when I pass a box of that grade out!

Attachments

• IMG-20211107-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211107-WA0003.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 89

Early08

In short make sure you know all about NR and especially the Safety Vision. You'll be asked to provide evidence of you meeting all the NTS criteria so make sure that you have lots of fine examples that you can talk about. Above all else, be yourself, smile lots, and best of luck.
Thankyou - much appreciated