• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Woody27

Hi all, anyone gone for Crediton & Exmouth? My application is still sitting at assessment, was wondering if anyone has heard back !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sy_!

Hi all, anyone gone for Crediton & Exmouth? My application is still sitting at assessment, was wondering if anyone has heard back !!
Hey Woody, yeah I’ve gone for it as well and haven’t heard anything back yet. Hopefully we will hear something back soon.

ArkUTD

Mines still I'm progress, I think we'll hear something in the next week or so. Got to remember there's probably over 300 odd applicants to go through so as slow as always but hopefully worth it.

Pablo65

Hi all, due to do my psychometric tests tomorrow! Any tips much appreciated.
I’m also a Retained Firefighter does anyone know if I would be able to continue in this role? I did state it in my CV. Thanks for any help received
Signaller on my route is a retained fire fighter. Makes himself available on rest days only. No problem as long he gets his rest.

Jaysub

Anyone got any info on the recent crossing keepers for basingstoke ??

roster :D
single manned
why there taking on 6 employees etc...?

ReTurn89

Hi, sorry to jump onto this one. Has anyone gone for interviews for the Crediton & Exmouth roles yet? how long is this likely to sit at assessment? I heard that the idea is for the successful applicants to go onto the Signalling course in January.

ArkUTD

Hi, sorry to jump onto this one. Has anyone gone for interviews for the Crediton & Exmouth roles yet? how long is this likely to sit at assessment? I heard that the idea is for the successful applicants to go onto the Signalling course in January.
I think they will be sending out tests for people by now or very soon, then interviews by end of month/start of Dec. This is never a quick process so can't see the January target being kept

Woody27

I think they will be sending out tests for people by now or very soon, then interviews by end of month/start of Dec. This is never a quick process so can't see the January target being kept
Hi all, I did the tests about 3 weeks ago, been sat at assessment ever since, it’s never a quick process, I’m sure we’ll hear something soon

moorw003

single manned
I was wondering this too. I smashed an application in before the deadline, and was invited to take 3 online assessments yesterday. The dots and the shapes were fine, absolutely no idea about the psycometric bit.

Anneruon

I'll second the unlikely hood of January. I was offered a signaller job last week (woooo!!!) And it's going to be tight to sort out all the paperwork for my January start

obibup

I'll second the unlikely hood of January. I was offered a signaller job last week (woooo!!!) And it's going to be tight to sort out all the paperwork for my January start
Congratulations Anneruon! How did your interview go? I'm swatting up for mine next week

Anneruon

Congratulations Anneruon! How did your interview go? I'm swatting up for mine next week
Thank you! The interview went really well, think I'm quite lucky that my previous jobs have a lot of crossover for Signaller so I have easy access to lots of examples for my STARR answers.
Having said that it's definitely worth going over your answers to the original application questions!
Good luck for next week!

obibup

Thank you! The interview went really well, think I'm quite lucky that my previous jobs have a lot of crossover for Signaller so I have easy access to lots of examples for my STARR answers.
Having said that it's definitely worth going over your answers to the original application questions!
Good luck for next week!
Oh that's good to know! No doubt you're buzzing to get started!

I have a lot of similar experience too, just hope I present myself properly and tell them what they need to hear.

Dandan062

Hi all. I h e been offered grade 3 at Willesden. Start date 4th Jan. Ipswich training school from the 10th Jan anyone else going ?

Jaysub

I was wondering this too. I smashed an application in before the deadline, and was invited to take 3 online assessments yesterday. The dots and the shapes were fine, absolutely no idea about the psycometric bit.
Heya,
Yea them 3 tests,i have already done and they last for a year but this psycometric test is a new one for me.
How were the 3 tests,still numerical and a judgemental one?

Woody27

Mines still I'm progress, I think we'll hear something in the next week or so. Got to remember there's probably over 300 odd applicants to go through so as slow as always but hopefully worth it.
Unsuccessful!!! On to the next one! Good luck with yours

Lewis Williams

Hi all,

Bit of a long time forum lurker here.

Got a job offer a couple of weeks back for a box in Herefordshire, and passed my medical on Monday.

Got to be honest, I'm absolutely over the moon. Getting a bit apprehensive though, so just looking for a bit of feedback on what to expect at the school?

Cheers.

89jordanbj

Hi all,

Got a job offer a couple of weeks back for a box in Herefordshire, and passed my medical on Monday.

Got to be honest, I'm absolutely over the moon. Getting a bit apprehensive though, so just looking for a bit of feedback on what to expect at the school?

Cheers.
A wealth of information at a very quick pace. A lot of hard work and practice on the simulator. Hopefully meet some great people. A lot of food!

Above all, I found it very enjoyable and would love to go back but the work needs to be put in to not get left behind.

What box will you be working if you don't mind me asking? I work a box near that part of the route so any questions feel free to drop me a message.

Congratulations and good luck.

Yorks1179

Hi all,

Cheers.
I also work the same route (Pontrilas). Will you be going to Bristol or one of the other schools?

I can second what 89jordanbj said. If you put the work in you'll be fine and even have some fun along the way.

Lewis Williams

Cheers for the feedback lads. It's the Moreton On Lugg box. Had no confirmation of the exact school yet, just been told that it's in early Feb. Still buzzing off it, been trying to get into a role for years now.

bouff34

Signaller Apprentices (Three Bridges, Barnham, Minster, Deal, Cuxton, Wateringbury & Gillingham​

Seen these roles being advertised externally and asking if anyone knows how this works in terms of pay progression... are you basically going to be on the £26k start salary until you have done all the various attachments etc through the course of the year. I have several mates that would love to join the profession but realistically there is no way they could take that sort of pay cut for 12 months or more...

Rockhopper

Signaller Apprentices (Three Bridges, Barnham, Minster, Deal, Cuxton, Wateringbury & Gillingham​

Seen these roles being advertised externally and asking if anyone knows how this works in terms of pay progression... are you basically going to be on the £26k start salary until you have done all the various attachments etc through the course of the year. I have several mates that would love to join the profession but realistically there is no way they could take that sort of pay cut for 12 months or more...
its an apprenticeship so when you finish you’ll be have to apply for another role hopefully on better pay!

Defenestrate

single manned
What job was this? In the roc or asc? Don't remember seeing any vacancies for crossing keepers around there