• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Genuinely curious what could actually make these environments more pleasant to work in? I do currently work in a ROC but I'm fairly new to it, there does seem to be a fair few signallers that dislike it, aside from the office politics so far I'm actually enjoying the environment although better breakout facilities could be provided and more structured meal relief.
More daylight, better structured meal relief and a marked reduction (ideally to zero) in the level of office politics allowed to affect signalling would be a good first step as you say

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Anybody in the know able to give some insight on the link structure (workstations wise) at TVSC? I’ve had a search but nothing has come up.

I’ve seen the multiple jobs going on the internal list, heard it was due to airlines taking their old pilots back? Also heard various things about TVSC (both good and bad) so any other points are also welcomed!

TIA
TVSC always has a lot of newbies coming in. They’re chronically understaffed as a result of Covid, changes to the desks (there’s a new Heathrow desk now), generally slow progress and as some say, others return to old industries. This has closed panels a fair few times over last 2 years, with a sudden uptick recently. Never enough SSM coverage either, it seems.

I don’t think the location is a massive issue really and the issues with the ROC will be the same as they are in other places. Newbies will absolutely jump for any signaller role especially G7+.

More daylight, better structured meal relief and a marked reduction (ideally to zero) in the level of office politics allowed to affect signalling would be a good first step as you say

You’re never going to get rid of office politics when there’s more than say 5 people at a location, in any industry! Some seem to enjoy the darkness too.

Did I say that ? Nope….

I don’t blame them for one moment, sat for 12hrs in a sealed dark room with social rejects to work with compared to flying 30,000 ft in the air go far flung parts of the world, let me just think about that choice for a moment.

There are some pros too though - same bed every night, slightly better T&Cs, more family time. Certainly cabin crew often move in drives to guards & signallers. But each to their own and I suppose if you’ve worked hard to be a pilot, you’d want to go back when the opportunity presents itself again.

Signal_Box

Genuinely curious what could actually make these environments more pleasant to work in? I do currently work in a ROC but I'm fairly new to it, there does seem to be a fair few signallers that dislike it, aside from the office politics so far I'm actually enjoying the environment although better breakout facilities could be provided and more structured meal relief.

Windows that open, fresh air makes a real difference to mental health and your mind set, brighter colours to name but two.

100% as a women although one who’s worked in the industry for more years than I care to remember the amount of BS that I am subjected to listening to is terrible. I know fellow female signallers who are spoken about behind their backs, offensive comments made etc is exclusively males and older males who are the offenders. Generally their also old hand men as well, the sooner they bugger off the better stuck in the job for the pay and pension.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Windows that open, fresh air makes a real difference to mental health and your mind set, brighter colours to name but two.

100% as a women although one who’s worked in the industry for more years than I care to remember the amount of BS that I am subjected to listening to is terrible. I know fellow female signallers who are spoken about behind their backs, offensive comments made etc is exclusively males and older males who are the offenders. Generally their also old hand men as well, the sooner they bugger off the better stuck in the job for the pay and pension.
Can’t find anything to dispute in any of that, 100% correct, sadly

You’re never going to get rid of office politics when there’s more than say 5 people at a location, in any industry!
Maybe not, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Can’t find anything to dispute in any of that, 100% correct, sadly

Maybe not, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try

Well good luck. Although there's a difference between gossip and rumour (office politics) and downright misogyny, sexism and bullying/harrassment as was alluded to above.

South2402@hotm

Hi all,
Ivw looked through as many posts as i can but cant find the answer im looking for.
Ive just applied for grade 2 signaller In kent. I know its very very early days and not getting ahead of myself at all but just wondering if people can advise how long the process is IF I was to be successful.
Also could you confirm where signaller training is. I've seen an older post with a link to training centres but I believe there are only a select few that offer the facilities for signaller training. Just wondering if that's still the case.

Also how do I change my username?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Last edited:

DanNem

A very good morning to all. My name is Dan, current NR station employee at LB. I'm preparing for a grade 7 interview at Wimbledon ASC in 10 days' time. I was supposed to go down to the centre to get a feel for the place/role but it's looking more and more likely that that won't materialise. I'm now scouring the net like a man on a mission to find any crumbs of information I can find, as the interview invite said they'll be asking questions about the local area and signalling system. Anyone out there with any info/hints/tips for this centre or just in general? Any help would be much, much appreciated.

Thank you for the advice :)
How are you finding it? And if your in York which hotels have you been allocated?
Hi! Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your interview in DM?

Last edited:

Signal_Box

I took your comment to be a mild rebuke for the 'recruiting manager'..... was that not what you intended ?

I took the original comments as me saying people shouldn’t seek to better themselves. You should always look to better yourself, until your happy in what you do.

Jcusin

Hi all

I’ve just recently undertaken an interview and have received an email stating that they are still interviewing people for the role and will get back to me.

To me this sounds like they haven’t found the right candidate but when I asked for feedback all of it was positive so I’m a bit unsure.

Anyone else have this experience?

It can be months in some cases between the first and last interviews for a role, if people have leave booked in or cannot be easily released from their current role.
They won’t officially make decisions or tell anyone the results until all interviews are completed.
I would just keep waiting!

Railwayer

A very good morning to all. My name is Dan, current NR station employee at LB. I'm preparing for a grade 7 interview at Wimbledon ASC in 10 days' time. I was supposed to go down to the centre to get a feel for the place/role but it's looking more and more likely that that won't materialise. I'm now scouring the net like a man on a mission to find any crumbs of information I can find, as the interview invite said they'll be asking questions about the local area and signalling system. Anyone out there with any info/hints/tips for this centre or just in general? Any help would be much, much appreciated.

Hi! Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your interview in DM?
Yeah sure :)

WoollyMammoth

I took the original comments as me saying people shouldn’t seek to better themselves. You should always look to better yourself, until your happy in what you do.
It’s lovely to have a wide range of opinions from staff which reflects the diverse spectrum of staff we have. At times you are straying towards the more difficult end which is sad to see. Is there anything anyone can do to help? It’s upsetting to hear that the office politics at your box are a cause for discontent.

nom de guerre

Defenestrate

When in a similar position, i.e. prepping for interview, I'd look on MyConnect for contact details for the Lom or box SSM, then call to ask if they could spare a few mins to answer some questions...

Scooby123

Hi guys. Bit of an odd one, I’m quite a new signaller and I’ve been placed on some medication that needs to be checked by occ health to allow me to work alone. I’m awaiting a call from them to book me in an appointment at York. What are the rules regarding this and rosters? Should this be falling on a day that I would normally be working? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

KendalR

Hi guys. Bit of an odd one, I’m quite a new signaller and I’ve been placed on some medication that needs to be checked by occ health to allow me to work alone. I’m awaiting a call from them to book me in an appointment at York. What are the rules regarding this and rosters? Should this be falling on a day that I would normally be working? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
You should be paid for your full shift and it covered by someone else if you are meant to be in work. If you're on a rostered day off then you can choose to postpone it until it's on a day you're rostered to work or you can choose to be paid a rest day - minimum 6 hours.

Ideally you want to get it sorted as soon as possible or you could be in your lovely single man box with someone accompanying you for all your shifts until it's deemed safe you're suitable to work alone.

High Dyke

Established Member
As it's a work related medical check, then Yes, this will be shown on the published roster. Really the appointment should be on a 'booked' work turn, but it may be the case that you have an appointment that requires you to Rest Day Work (RDW). Getting a face-to-face appointment is something in itself. In many cases the health provider relies on telephone consultations.

In the first instance all medications checks should be done via your Roster Clerk, the LOM would just ask them to check. These checks include over the counter medicines.

Dunnideer

In the first instance all medications checks should be done via your Roster Clerk, the LOM would just ask them to check. These checks include over the counter medicines.
That must vary across the country because here all the signallers (and MOMs) have a little laminated card with the Chemist On Call phone number and pin on it so they can do their own checks. The LOM gets an email straight away if you request a check so they know what’s happening and our roster clerk doesn’t get involved with the process at all unless there are shifts needing covered.

The key thing to remember is to check as soon as possible ideally before you take anything rather than waiting until just before you’re due on shift, unless it’s an emergency.

DanNem

When in a similar position, i.e. prepping for interview, I'd look on MyConnect for contact details for the Lom or box SSM, then call to ask if they could spare a few mins to answer some questions...
That was quite literally the first thing I did after receiving the invite. The person I was corresponding with then went off work for some reason and his nominated covers won't reply to the two emails I've sent.

NewtoNR

Mine was
2 earlies on/ Sunday off/ 4 earlies on/ 5 off

4 lates on/ sunday off/ 2 earlies on/ 2 off

Then repeat
Thank you for this. So although you were a relief you knew what shifts you would be working, just not the location until the Roster was published?

cowboysfan

Thank you for this. So although you were a relief you knew what shifts you would be working, just not the location until the Roster was published?
You know your shift pattern and when you can expect to be at work just not which shift you would be on like today I only found out which workstations I'm on and if its days or nights for next week.

NewtoNR

You know your shift pattern and when you can expect to be at work just not which shift you would be on like today I only found out which workstations I'm on and if its days or nights for next week.
Thank you, I understand that that is how the relief works but @Qball has identified the specific shifts so I wanted to clarify their position.

Qball

Thank you, I understand that that is how the relief works but @Qball has identified the specific shifts so I wanted to clarify their position.
Yeah on my old line you were either earlies or lates but Rosters could ask you to change from earlies to lates.

Also if you were spare it was either earlies or lates

SH89

Good afternoon, can anyone explain to me how the Sunday pay is worked out for a signaller working for NR, is the Sunday x 1.5 pay outside of your base salary?