• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Casey_Jones

Just would like to ask anyone how they found the TCB conversion course compared to Absolute block training.

A lot harder than our WDS led us to believe! Even though a lot of the information links into AB, there is still a huge amount to take on board in the two weeks, though overall not an intensive as the AB course.

Kraken

Just would like to ask anyone how they found the TCB conversion course compared to Absolute block training.
Absolute piece of piss*. A nice change of pace after AB to be honest and makes a lot of sense.

*I recognise not all may have this reaction, but this was how I felt.

Has anyone got any experience with being put on the reserve list ?

Do we actually have a chance or just call it a day ?

I know of two people who got their jobs from being on the the reserve list so definitely don’t give up hope!

Signaller2be

Absolute piece of piss*. A nice change of pace after AB to be honest and makes a lot of sense.

*I recognise not all may have this reaction, but this was how I felt.

I know of two people who got their jobs from being on the the reserve list so definitely don’t give up hope!
Appreciate it kraken !

MaisDxx

I start signalling school in less than a month in Preston (so excited!). Had a Google of training centers to have a look where it is, couldn't find it. Out of curiosity, anyone know where about it is? and excited to see everyone there:D

mdfc

Are you all new to network rail?

I currently work for them, but in a different department and have been told there are no signalling schools on until around September At the very earliest.
10 of us currently on the course started this week. 8 of us, myself included, are new to the business.

KieranG110

Has anyone got any experience with being put on the reserve list ?

Do we actually have a chance or just call it a day ?
Hi Jack,

I was placed on a reserse list but I haven't heard anything since May. I have however applied for another similar position and waiting to hear back from that. Only advice I've been given is to keep trying and eventually you'll be succesful.

My second interview was very much the same questioning as it was a Signaller grade 2-5 role.

MT18

Hi everyone , apologies if this has been asked too many times been trying to read through as many pages as I can. So I’m thinking of taking the plunge and applying for a signaller role. I have two questions to ask and if you have anytime spare to answer it would be most appreciated. I’m currently a grade 2 s&t op and the only viable commuting distance signaller job position is for a grade 7, what is the chances of me being realistically considered for this position? Also in the internal application form there is 70 questions most of which I can answer but are they looking for all 70 to be answered. For example, dealing with an ECO or dealing with a trespass incident etc I have no experience in these scenarios and don’t want to waffle a lot of nonsense and then be caught out.

JJ14

Hi everyone , apologies if this has been asked too many times been trying to read through as many pages as I can. So I’m thinking of taking the plunge and applying for a signaller role. I have two questions to ask and if you have anytime spare to answer it would be most appreciated. I’m currently a grade 2 s&t op and the only viable commuting distance signaller job position is for a grade 7, what is the chances of me being realistically considered for this position? Also in the internal application form there is 70 questions most of which I can answer but are they looking for all 70 to be answered. For example, dealing with an ECO or dealing with a trespass incident etc I have no experience in these scenarios and don’t want to waffle a lot of nonsense and then be caught out.
Alright mate take the plunge there’s a good lad on my course who’s from S&T also,
With regards to the app for 70 questions n for the ECO & Trespass just be honest & say you haven’t physically dealt with it but you do know through experience there is a lot of comms involved & hopefully learn how to deal with it once on IST

I’m also a grade 3 currently on IST week 6 exam tomorrow and applied for a Grade 7 relief role and have an interview for that soon as I didn’t have the experience for some of the questions I just answered honestly and said I’m currently on IST learning how to deal with all situations that May arise

Trackboy

Does anyone know if you move from Inner London allowance area to Outer London allowance area. Do you get to keep your inner LA?

Signal_Box

Does anyone know if you move from Inner London allowance area to Outer London allowance area. Do you get to keep your inner LA?

No, and make sure they stop your higher inner asap or you will be made to pay it back no matter how long ago they should of stopped paying it.

Tyke41

Preston is on the platform effectively... great training venue and the hotel that you are in is the Holiday Inn which is about 10-15 mins walk.. Did my TCB course there but not AB however the guys on AB liked it as a location

MT18

Alright mate take the plunge there’s a good lad on my course who’s from S&T also,
With regards to the app for 70 questions n for the ECO & Trespass just be honest & say you haven’t physically dealt with it but you do know through experience there is a lot of comms involved & hopefully learn how to deal with it once on IST

I’m also a grade 3 currently on IST week 6 exam tomorrow and applied for a Grade 7 relief role and have an interview for that soon as I didn’t have the experience for some of the questions I just answered honestly and said I’m currently on IST learning how to deal with all situations that May arise
Cheers mate, just gonna go for it worth a try especially with all thats going on with maintenance.

lee2201

Hi everyone,

I've just got my start date for grade 3 signaller. I have a question to ask, not sure if anyone will have the answer.

When I was offered the job I asked if continuing my secondary employment as a retained firefighter would be an issue, they said they would get back to me, and a few days later I had a phone call and the answer was something along the lines of "You have to register it with HR when you join the job". So this leaves me with no idea what their stance is on it, apart from they have a fatigue policy. Is anybody or does anyone know anybody who is retained and also a signaller?

Last edited: