• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Signaller2be

Hi,

I appreciate this question would have been answered numerous times however I don't have time to go through it all.

I have an online interview (MS Teams) for a signaller apprenticeship.

I have already undertook an online assessment, psychometric test and a Situations test.

What am I likely to be asked? I am 19 with no rail experience. Cheers
Hi buddy ,

What location did you apply for ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal_Box

Are TSSA out as well next week or is it just RMT (from a Network Rail POV)?

I’ve lost track of who’s who, and what’s what.

Shogun

Hi, first post here: what a great thread, really useful. I've just taken the online psychometric tests (for grade 3,) and I'm gutted with how it went:
  • Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire: A questionnaire that measures your behavioral tendencies related to safety - wierd but OK I think.
  • Ability to Concentrate: A test that measures your ability to concentrate and react to certain signals - OK I think Pressed wrong answer on a couple (just rushing: nerves)
  • Reaction Speed (drv): A test that measures your ability to react quickly - No issues with this one, all accurate and at speed.
  • Multi-tasking Capability (drv): A test that measures your ability to perform three different tasks at the same time: Think I did alright with this.
  • The "Grid Challenge" DISASTER! Most of the puzzles I think were ok but I know that I never got any of the dot patterns right at all - that grid exercise I think is horrible!
How long will it be before I get the enevitable ''sorry you've failed" notification? .....Kicking myself now.

Cheers

Last edited:

nom de guerre

The TSSA website says they've cancelled all strike action during September. So all planned strikes affecting NR staff this month are now off.

Sure ASLEF will follow suit in due course.

otter11

Hi, first post here: what a great thread, really useful. I've just taken the online psychometric tests (for grade 3,) and I'm gutted with how it went:
  • Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire: A questionnaire that measures your behavioral tendencies related to safety - wierd but OK I think.
  • Ability to Concentrate: A test that measures your ability to concentrate and react to certain signals - OK I think Pressed wrong answer on a couple (just rushing: nerves)
  • Reaction Speed (drv): A test that measures your ability to react quickly - No issues with this one, all accurate and at speed.
  • Multi-tasking Capability (drv): A test that measures your ability to perform three different tasks at the same time: Think I did alright with this.
  • The "Grid Challenge" DISASTER! Most of the puzzles I think were ok but I know that I never got any of the dot patterns right at all - that grid exercise I think is horrible!
How long will it be before I get the enevitable ''sorry you've failed" notification? .....Kicking myself now.

Cheers
if you do a search on this forum for Grid Challenge, you’ll see that lots of people have found it very tough! Personally I was sure I’d failed that one but I still managed to get through - so don’t give up hope yet!

I think I heard after about 1 week, but timescales vary depending on the role.

Shogun

if you do a search on this forum for Grid Challenge, you’ll see that lots of people have found it very tough! Personally I was sure I’d failed that one but I still managed to get through - so don’t give up hope yet!

I think I heard after about 1 week, but timescales vary depending on the role.
Thanks for that - appreciate it, good to read.
Clutching at straws now but would the test performance entry requirements be as high for a grade 3 as for a higher grade?

otter11

Thanks for that - appreciate it, good to read.
Clutching at straws now but would the test performance entry requirements be as high for a grade 3 as for a higher grade?
Not sure anyone knows exactly how they score it - but I understand you’re scored against others who’ve applied for the role rather than there being a strict pass/fail mark. Could be wrong on that though.

Leeward

Not sure anyone knows exactly how they score it - but I understand you’re scored against others who’ve applied for the role rather than there being a strict pass/fail mark. Could be wrong on that though.

That makes sense. I have gotten to interview stage on both Grade 3 and 4 roles but not on the Grade 2 roles I've applied for, with the same assessment score.

Must depend on the pool of candidates.

Bravo 2

Hi, ive been reading lots on here but rarely post. I interviewed for a Grade 4 role in Exeter on Tuesday and had a call today to say I've been successful. Im absolutely over the moon.
Got lots of questions about the shift pattern in Exeter so my wife and i can start figuring out work and kids etc, anyone know what they are at St Davids?
Hi Macs1981, I'm in the same position as you - over the moon too! I was interviewed on the 23rd August and was offered a position in Exeter a few days later. I'm currently going through the onboarding process and was told that if all goes to plan, I'll start on the 26th September.

If anyone has any information on the shift patterns that are worked in Exeter, it would be very gratefully received. I've looked through the shift information contained within the NR terms and conditions and it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me right now. There is a statement that simply says, 'detailed rostering arrangements are subject to local agreement'.

Buzz2017

Hi Macs1981, I'm in the same position as you - over the moon too! I was interviewed on the 23rd August and was offered a position in Exeter a few days later. I'm currently going through the onboarding process and was told that if all goes to plan, I'll start on the 26th September.

If anyone has any information on the shift patterns that are worked in Exeter, it would be very gratefully received. I've looked through the shift information contained within the NR terms and conditions and it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me right now. There is a statement that simply says, 'detailed rostering arrangements are subject to local agreement'.
Congratulations!

I had my interview on Wednesday this week and I’m still waiting to hear. How long did it take for you to hear?

Woody27

Hi mate, I’m also set to start on the 26th, I was told during my interview that it’s a 12hr shift, 3 days on 4 off

Bravo 2

Hi mate, I’m also set to start on the 26th, I was told during my interview that it’s a 12hr shift, 3 days on 4 off
Wow, that's much better than I expected. I'm brand new to the rail industry so any advice or information you have would be gratefully received.

Bravo 2

Have you completed all of the onboarding?

Congratulations!

I had my interview on Wednesday this week and I’m still waiting to hear. How long did it take for you to hear?
Best of luck! I think it was just a couple of days after the interview.

Woody27

Have you completed all of the onboarding?

Best of luck! I think it was just a couple of days after the interview.
I had an issue with the blood pressure test, had to get another one the next day and send in a form! All normal, but getting it to be finalised is being a pain

Bravo 2

I had an issue with the blood pressure test, had to get another one the next day and send in a form! All normal, but getting it to be finalised is being a pain
I was told at the medical that I'd passed everything but the drug testing had to be sent away to a lab somewhere. I was told that it takes about 5 days to come back and then someone will contact me to discuss the start details. My BP was slightly up but I did get a pass. Best of luck getting yours all finalised mate

Congratulations!

I think it was two or three days. Best of luck with yours

Last edited:

Canonite

In my post interview Feedback, I was told that they don’t get individual scores for each test, just an overall Pass or Fail and whether it was a low Pass or a high Pass.

As a signaller you can’t really request anything shift-wise! Basically you’ll work all the days/nights required by your box and as per your roster, unless you’re on leave.

Defenestrate

As a signaller, can you request to work just weekends!! Fri-sat-Sun, doing either dayshift and nightshift.
There are some cases of people working part time/reduced hours/in a job share.
There could also be changes for special circumstances as mentioned, or for medical reasons, but these are more short term.

However, as it's a shift based role with most places open 24/7, I doubt that Fri to Sun role would be long term viable, especially considering Sunday enhancements.

Choo Choo 170

I applied for a grade 2 signaller job, did all the online tests, had my interview which I felt went really well. A few days later I got an e mail saying I would be advised if I'd been successful or not within two weeks of the closing date. Has anyone actually had to wait the full two weeks? The two weeks is up on Wednesday and I'm on tenterhooks wanting to know one way or the other.....on my Network Rail Career hub portal it says 'assessment' the same as it has for the last three weeks.....

MikeyFord

I applied for a grade 2 signaller job, did all the online tests, had my interview which I felt went really well. A few days later I got an e mail saying I would be advised if I'd been successful or not within two weeks of the closing date. Has anyone actually had to wait the full two weeks? The two weeks is up on Wednesday and I'm on tenterhooks wanting to know one way or the other.....on my Network Rail Career hub portal it says 'assessment' the same as it has for the last three weeks.....
I was told three days and I didn't get the call until three weeks later so I wouldn't panic, your feedback will be available now and that will give you a good idea how you got on, best of luck

SalzH

on my Network Rail Career hub portal it says 'assessment' the same as it has for the last three weeks
I wouldn’t pay any attention to the hub status. Mine was sat at assessment for a month or two after I got offered a position.

Don’t panic if you don’t get the call within the time frame they stated during the interview. I’d leave it until after Wednesday and then email recruitment asking for an update.

Defenestrate

Hold off on emailing/contacting recruitment - have patience...and I mean, Network Rail/Railway patience. A quick search of this forum tells you how slow they are in getting back to you, regardless of the timeframe they advise. They will get back to you when they do...

Ebee

Does anyone know where a wembley signaller would be based? No actual location information. It was under the vacancy with Network Rail. Rugby somewhere else and Wembley. Thanks!

Bravo 2

Have you been issued with a contract yet? I'm still waiting for mine...

Signal_Box

Does anyone know where a wembley signaller would be based? No actual location information. It was under the vacancy with Network Rail. Rugby somewhere else and Wembley. Thanks!

Wembley Mainline SCC is located a short walk from Harlesden (I think the station is) on the bakerloo line.

Rugby SCC is opposite Rugby station.