• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Paul88

Hi all

Just wondering if someone could help me out with the next pay date please? I’ve scrolled the forum and worked it out to be the 3rd Feb, can someone confirm if that’s correct? Thank you

Yeah, then every 4 weeks thereafter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheeseNoMayo

Hi guys, I’ve recently applied for a grade 5 signaller role at York ROC. I’ve just had an email inviting me to take some online psychometric assessments. Any idea what I can expect from them? I’ve taken part in driver psychometrics before, both face to face and online if there is any similarities? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Simotrfc

Hi guys, I’ve recently applied for a grade 5 signaller role at York ROC. I’ve just had an email inviting me to take some online psychometric assessments. Any idea what I can expect from them? I’ve taken part in driver psychometrics before, both face to face and online if there is any similarities? Any help is appreciated! Thanks
It’s not really like the driving ones mate. I found the Signaller ones much harder. It’s more multitasking type tests and memory tests.

Just make sure you read it before hand and practise the demo they give you and you can’t go far wrong

CheeseNoMayo

It’s not really like the driving ones mate. I found the Signaller ones much harder. It’s more multitasking type tests and memory tests.

Just make sure you read it before hand and practise the demo they give you and you can’t go far wrong
Great, thanks for the advice!

y0rkie287

Well 4 days into IST and my head is totally blown, hardest bit is learning stuff word for word rather than putting it in your own words once you've got the gist of it

Simotrfc

Well 4 days into IST and my head is totally blown, hardest bit is learning stuff word for word rather than putting it in your own words once you've got the gist of it
It’ll become second nature that mate you want even think about it at the end. I got them A4 cards, wrote down a question on front and answer on back, learnt it like that. ‘What is the def of absolute block?’ Etc

Some people recorded it on their phone and made like a play list, listened to it over and over again, worked for them.

Good luck

Royal351

So thats my week 3 done of TCB IST. First observation Monday. Man is it intense, can't really say that isn't as advertised though!

WL113

This might be of interest for anyone about to start IST. From the vast Signalling Record Society website a couple of videos of the Network Rail Absolute Block and NX panel simulators at Perth filmed a few years ago.

Kraken

This might be of interest for anyone about to start IST. From the vast Signalling Record Society website a couple of videos of the Network Rail Absolute Block and NX panel simulators at Perth filmed a few years ago.

That is by far the longest time I’ve seen that great instructor go without using a swearword. Impressive.

Gaz3028

An advertisment for signallers in Chester appeared on my facebook feed today but they aren't showing on Network Rail's website, have the positions been filled already?

norbert

An advertisment for signallers in Chester appeared on my facebook feed today but they aren't showing on Network Rail's website, have the positions been filled already?
They are on nr website have been for a week or so

they are on nr site now closing date tomorrow

ollieplo1

Can anyone give some advice regarding Network Rail pension schemes for new starts. You are automatically enrolled in SMART which isn’t good from what I’m told. You have to wait 5 years to join BRASS.

In the meantime it seems you have two options which are CARE and NRDC.

Any advice on which is better?

Last edited:

Rockhopper

Serious answer - you need to take professional advice as everyone’s circumstances are different.

Can anyone give some advice regarding Network Rail pension schemes for new starts. You are automatically enrolled in SMART which isn’t good from what I’m told. You have to wait 5 years to join BRASS.

As far as I can remember Smart is the process where your pension contributions are taken out before you are paid, essentially saving both you and NR money in taxation, so I'm not sure why this wouldn't be a good thing.

For me the CARE option was the best as the employer contributions were higher but at others have said if you're unsure then ask a professional, although you do get useful information about the pensions from NR when you start

ollieplo1

As far as I can remember Smart is the process where your pension contributions are taken out before you are paid, essentially saving both you and NR money in taxation, so I'm not sure why this wouldn't be a good thing.

For me the CARE option was the best as the employer contributions were higher but at others have said if you're unsure then ask a professional, although you do get useful information about the pensions from NR when you start
I think with SMART the amount contributed just isn’t that significant. With CARE I think Employer contributions are 10.7% if the Employee puts minimum 7%.

emtm21

I think with SMART the amount contributed just isn’t that significant. With CARE I think Employer contributions are 10.7% if the Employee puts minimum 7%.
Smart isn’t a pension scheme, it’s a way of processing the pension contribution which saves money. The pension options will be CARE or NRDR, until you hit the 5 year point.

ollieplo1

Smart isn’t a pension scheme, it’s a way of processing the pension contribution which saves money. The pension options will be CARE or NRDR, until you hit the 5 year point.

Ah ok I have a fundamental lack of understanding about this.

High Dyke

Established Member

As others have said, seek advice of a qualified financial advisor. Choice of pension scheme is down to personal preference.

The NR Pensions webpage provides more information. https://www.mynrpension.co.uk/

SMART (information taken from the SMART booklet)
All new employees are automatically entered into SMART so they can benefit from saving on their NICs from day one of their employment with Network Rail, provided they join one of the company’s pension schemes (and in the case of the Network Rail Defined Contribution Pension Scheme (NRDC), provided they have not chosen to pay zero contributions).

JoeyB

CARE is a defined benefit scheme. Whereas NRDC is a defined contribution scheme. Most would consider a defined benefit scheme to be better because you are guaranteed a certain amount each year when you retire. Whereas a defined contribution scheme gives you what you have put into the pot and relies on its growth and how it's been invested over time.

Think very carefully and read about the RPS scheme when the 5 year mark comes. It isn't as good as it used to be. Many will tell you it's the best based on it's previous terms and conditions, rather than how it is now.

mrc.Welford

Hello all is there anyone on here who is going to basingstoke for school in April I've just been accepted as a grade 7 relief pending medical and pre employment checks I'm excited nervous and everyother emotion to say the least. Is there anyone from basingstoke who knows the shift pattern, is it 8 hour shifts or 12 hour shifts and ideally any relifs who can tell me what it's like to be a relief I know it means being flexible but does that also mean it's more demanding mentally and physically.

Canonite

Hello all is there anyone on here who is going to basingstoke for school in April I've just been accepted as a grade 7 relief pending medical and pre employment checks I'm excited nervous and everyother emotion to say the least. Is there anyone from basingstoke who knows the shift pattern, is it 8 hour shifts or 12 hour shifts and ideally any relifs who can tell me what it's like to be a relief I know it means being flexible but does that also mean it's more demanding mentally and physically.

I’m afraid I can’t answer your query but just want to say well done on securing a Grade 7 role. May I ask you though, for the benefit of this thread, what were you doing before?

otter11

I’d suggest searching the thread for ‘relief’ and ‘Basingstoke’ as there’s a lot of info that has been posted before!
I’m also due to start as a relief signaller next month (not in Basingstoke though). Essentially it means that we will know when our rest days (days off) are, but we don’t find out whether we are working day shifts or night shifts until Thursday of the week before. So I guess it will be more tiring due to not knowing until a few days beforehand whether you will need
to adjust to day shifts or to night shifts.
Some shifts we might also be ‘spare’ meaning that we can stay at home but might be required to go into work at any point during the shift.
But you always know when your days off are in your roster so still can plan around that.
Hope that helps!

mrc.Welford

I’d suggest searching the thread for ‘relief’ and ‘Basingstoke’ as there’s a lot of info that has been posted before!
I’m also due to start as a relief signaller next month (not in Basingstoke though). Essentially it means that we will know when our rest days (days off) are, but we don’t find out whether we are working day shifts or night shifts until Thursday of the week before. So I guess it will be more tiring due to not knowing until a few days beforehand whether you will need
to adjust to day shifts or to night shifts.
Some shifts we might also be ‘spare’ meaning that we can stay at home but might be required to go into work at any point during the shift.
But you always know when your days off are in your roster so still can plan around that.
Hope that helps!
Brilliant thanks for the info I'm so looking forward to.syarting school but I know it's going to be really tough. Dose that mean we could earn more for night allowance some some months if we have lots of nights