• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

red2512

Can you tell me roughly how long after getting the offer Optima got in contact with you about medical dates? Also do you find out medical result on the day or after a couple of days? Thanks in advance
I'm thinking the same. If I'm lucky enough to get a post what would the turnaround be too have a 'concrete' contract signed. It worries me that I may have to hand my notice in before knowing this!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lpf93

Can you tell me roughly how long after getting the offer Optima got in contact with you about medical dates? Also do you find out medical result on the day or after a couple of days? Thanks in advance
Medical results are on the day.
Once accepting it’s a couple of days after I received info for optima which I had tk chase myself as HR said I should receive skmethibg I didn’t. Signal school doesn’t come around too quickly so I wouldn’t worry about handing notice in before it all going through

red2512

Once accepting it’s a couple of days after I received info for optima which I had tk chase myself as HR said I should receive skmethibg I didn’t. Signal school doesn’t come around too quickly so I wouldn’t worry about handing notice in before it all going through
I'm in education so my issue is that notice has to be submitted by May 31st to leave this school year

MylesHSG

I'm in education so my issue is that notice has to be submitted by May 31st to leave this school year
When I did mine I asked the assessor and she said I'd passed them (minus the D&A test but I knew I'd passed that). Was back in 2016 though with OH Assist not Optima Health

mint cake

This is my worry too! I'm in the same boat as you with teacher resignation dates. I'm waiting to hear about the Cumbria jobs. Good luck!

Lpf93

Oh it should definitely be sorted by then. I’m assuming you’ve accepted the offer already and just waiting for the medical. Ring HR on Tuesday and see if they’ve already booked it or not. If not you can call optima health yourself and book an appointment pretty quickly. Results are usually done on the day but can take a day or 2 for HR to update that again.
Where are you based and I assume you need to go through IST?

red2512

Oh it should definitely be sorted by then. I’m assuming you’ve accepted the offer already and just waiting for the medical. Ring HR on Tuesday and see if they’ve already booked it or not. If not you can call optima health yourself and book an appointment pretty quickly. Results are usually done on the day but can take a day or 2 for HR to update that again.
Where are you based and I assume you need to go through IST?
I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful from two interviews. Hopefully I find out early next week. Fingers crossed it would all go through quickly enough if I do!!

This is my worry too! I'm in the same boat as you with teacher resignation dates. I'm waiting to hear about the Cumbria jobs. Good luck!
It's a difficult situation! I suppose at least if we are unsuccessful it's still a secure job until we get a position.

Good luck to you too!

MylesHSG

Oh wow. The Company will be so pleased to have you if you find it so easy before even starting a course.
Please don’t carry that attitude with you, it won’t be taken well.
I know, such a piss easy job anyone can just walk in and do it

SuperS16v

This is all correct. Passed the medical on the spot. Even though they had to check a previous medical condition it was a quick email to a doctor who replied in 5 mins. It was all very efficient!

NR then got in touch the next day saying they are getting me in the system.

I had to wait a bit for the medical appointment. All my local ones Birmingham, Derby etc were fully booked for months. I had to drive down to Bedford to do it.

jayafc

I see the RMT have announced more strikes. Am I right in thinking network rail and signallers in particular have already signed their new terms.

simon369

Hello,

Just got offered a position as a Grade 2 Signaller. :)

On the phone, the pay quoted seemed to be the old pay e.g. roughly £26K during training and £30K after training.

Can anybody confirm if these are the correct figures or has the new deal been agreed and I will be on the figures previously discussed in this thread! I have yet to receive my paperwork so not sure if the lady on the phone was just mistaken or am I.

Thanks,

Simon

SH89

I see the RMT have announced more strikes. Am I right in thinking network rail and signallers in particular have already signed their new terms.
Yes you’re correct, any further strike action has nothing to do with network rail/signallers

Hello,

On the phone, the pay quoted seemed to be the old pay e.g. roughly £26K during training and £30K after training.

Can anybody confirm if these are the correct figures or has the new deal been agreed and I will be on the figures previously discussed in this thread! I have yet to receive my paperwork so not sure if the lady on the phone was just mistaken or am I.

Thanks,

Simon
The pay for every grade is increasing regardless. It doesn’t matter when you join the company, or even if you’re in the union, it is in the process of going up.
Grade 2 becomes £31909 basic. Neither of you are mistaken really it’s just right at the transition at the moment.

What does vary between new and old is training pay but for a grade 2 signaller it doesn’t really change, you should be on G1 until passed out basically, which I think is just under £29k.

simon369

The pay for every grade is increasing regardless. It doesn’t matter when you join the company, or even if you’re in the union, it is in the process of going up.
Grade 2 becomes £31909 basic. Neither of you are mistaken really it’s just right at the transition at the moment.

What does vary between new and old is training pay but for a grade 2 signaller it doesn’t really change, you should be on G1 until passed out basically, which I think is just under £29k.

Thank you,

Is the pay increase happening sooner rather than later? My start date isn't until July.

Thanks,

Simon

Nass

Hello everyone I am new to the website, thank you for having me here.
I applied for a signaler role at the greater Manchester and high peak areas and done the assessment and interview.
I was wondering if anyone has had a reply for a job offer for these vacancies.
Thank you.

Does anyone know what roster the Greenloaning Signallers work from? I’m hearing the start times are 1200-2400, 2400-1200 also is this correct?

vinoboxer

Hello,

Thanks,

Simon
Hey congrats. Which area did you apply for?

Sounds about right re pay though. As per new pay structure.

SuperS16v

Going into G6 it’s on the old rates but they said when the rise comes into effect everyone will be put onto it regardless if you are just starting or not.

Attachments

• 089B33D4-5EE3-4A08-AEA0-AD0DD1F8AC3D.jpeg
    089B33D4-5EE3-4A08-AEA0-AD0DD1F8AC3D.jpeg
    992 KB · Views: 173

Canonite

Going into G6 it’s on the old rates but they said when the rise comes into effect everyone will be put onto it regardless if you are just starting or not.
Those are incorrect.
G1 - G4 get £1750 instead of 5% for 2022, then 4% for 2023 from October 2022.

G5 upwards receive 5% for 2022 and 4% for 2023

simon369

Thanks for your replies. It was the Dunkeld position I got :)

So even if not 100%, are the figures above closer to what I should expect my contract to change to at one point over the next few months.

Trothy

Hi all, current grade 9 signaller in the south interested in moving up North to probably a G8 position at Manchester ROC, could anybody help with some route/workstation knowledge? I'm due to arrange a signal box visit but I'm travelling up from the south. I'm currently searching the forums and i have found a small bit of info but I'd like to know which workstations are currently in the ROC at the moment and perhaps lines, fringe locations, crossings, gate boxes etc. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks !

There are currently 9 Workstations and there are currently some ongoing discussions about the grades/links for these but at the moment -

Manchester Central
Manchester North
Manchester Oxford Rd

As a Grade 8 regular link

Liverpool Lime St
Liverpool

As a Grade 8 regular link

Wavetree
Wavetree West
Blackpool

As a Grade 6 regular link

Macclesfield

As a Grade 5 regular link.

There are then two regular meal links (at Grade 8) per shift and two SSM's at Grade 10.

nom de guerre

My instructor (back in 1985!) said that he could teach a 12 year old to merely signal trains but there's a great deal more to the job than that.

My trainer said something similar in 2011 - and one of my classmates, who was going to a large London box, replied that a manager's young son had been allowed to operate the panel controlling a big London terminus one Sunday (no doubt under close supervision and with no incidents occurring!) :E

Seejwalker

Yea it’s true anyone can set a route or run a timetable when all is going well (except larger area that have complex movements)

But when it goes wrong is when the job gets difficult.

Oh wow. The Company will be so pleased to have you if you find it so easy before even starting a course.
Please don’t carry that attitude with you, it won’t be taken well.
I think you've taken what I said wrong. I didn't mean easy etc. I was just meaning that once you've been taught everything there shouldn't be anything to worry about.. it looks like a doable job and there was a really good atmosphere there. I was just trying to be reassuring to someone starting a new role and I was congratulating that person.

Seejwalker

I think you've taken what I said wrong. I didn't mean easy etc. I was just meaning that once you've been taught everything there shouldn't be anything to worry about.. it looks like a doable job and there was a really good atmosphere there. I was just trying to be reassuring to someone starting a new role and I was congratulating that person.
Tbf. Even that’s not overly correct. Plenty of people take on the higher grade and it’s above their ability. Not many admit this and just fumble their way through the job. This in turn leads to a poor service and situations often playing out far longer than necessary.