• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tricky1972

Applied for Grade 2 trainee at Warrington/Chester - passed the online assessments - been selected for Signaller Scenario Assessment (online by Sunday) then a virtual interview (Weds 20th) - anyone with any advice? To save me trawling through 574 pages (I've already done 107) does anyone know what sort of scenarios will be involved - briefing document just states that you arrive on shift fully prepared and fully awake and aware.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrislfc

Hi everyone,

Applied for a grade 2 role, did the online tests on Thursday night and received the below yesterday morning, is it a case of being scored against everyone else to make it to interview now?
Well I've got an interview, Wed 27th Nov (which is a Monday!) so I've emailed to check if they mean September!

Nope, same as you, got until this Sunday to do it.

Definitely Sept, but nowhere to upload ID in the portal, and no interview showing. Anyone have any ideas before I hassle recruitment again?
Hey up mate if you email HR they will send you a link for the ID portal.Good luck with your application.

rj_signals

Fingers crossed for you.

Most appear to be 12 hrs and there is a post after around page 530 / 535, or it’s 560 / 565. Definitely a post dated after 31st March. It sets out the approximate hours (which may have changed) very nicely.

Interview prep - I was advised to keep the ST elements light, but beef up the AR elements, and focus on what I did in the given situation. It worked for me. Just waiting for reporting instructions for my first day.

A LOT of information about the structure, indicative questions, and methodologies appear on this forum. Most recently Gator Ops posted something very useful just a few pages back from here on the process.

Google, NR website, and this forum should see you right.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and guidance around the interview. And congratulations on getting so far yourself! I see you'll be based at WMSC, did you ask the question about rosters at interview? The example rosters I've found seem to suggest that 8hrs will be a slog with fewer RD's and 12hr patterns are a lot more favourable. I can't seem to find that post you mention, or I might not have twigged that i've found it if it's not specific to WMSC perhaps.

I've now had the email to tell me I've passed the online ability tests and next steps will be scenario assessment and interview, if I'm successful. Like you've said there's loads of good insight and tips for interviews on here so I'll be sure to take it all forward with me - if I get that far.

SignalM0n

Thanks for the reply and guidance around the interview. And congratulations on getting so far yourself! I see you'll be based at WMSC, did you ask the question about rosters at interview? The example rosters I've found seem to suggest that 8hrs will be a slog with fewer RD's and 12hr patterns are a lot more favourable. I can't seem to find that post you mention, or I might not have twigged that i've found it if it's not specific to WMSC perhaps.

I've now had the email to tell me I've passed the online ability tests and next steps will be scenario assessment and interview, if I'm successful. Like you've said there's loads of good insight and tips for interviews on here so I'll be sure to take it all forward with me - if I get that far.
The post from previous pages should be below. Apologies, it was prior to 31st March date of posting, but on around page 539.

I did ask at interview and if you have any questions just bring them up. They’re very accommodating - just a decent bunch in my experience.

Good luck those interviewing for the WMSC.

Don't know how much you all know about the location and the roster links/grades etc. but I'll try to give you an idea.

Telford workstation: Grade 5

Wolverhampton workstation: Grade 7

Cherwell Valley workstation: Grade 7

North link: Walsall/Bescot/Stourbridge workstations: Grade 6 and track circuits only, no axle counters.

South link: Coventry/North Warwick/Snow Hill workstations: Grade 7.

Saltley link: Washwood Heath, Water Orton, Bromsgrove and Kings Norton workstations: Grade 7.

New Street link: Stour Valley, New Street and Proof House workstations: Grade 9.

All on 12 hour rosters now except the New Street link. Cherwell Valley is a mix of 8s and 12s.

Good luck again!

rj_signals

The post from previous pages should be below. Apologies, it was prior to 31st March date of posting, but on around page 539.

I did ask at interview and if you have any questions just bring them up. They’re very accommodating - just a decent bunch in my experience.
Thanks very much for this @SignalM0n. I trawled and trawled for that, but to no avail! Mostly 12hrs then which is positive. Hope all goes well with your start date and IST

GMTUK

Hi all i completed my onboarding paperwork yesterday.Just waiting for my medical date now.Im so excited and looking forward to my new career.Good luck to everyone still trying to get into the role.
Good Work and I’m up with you.
Even asked a cheekily, that I can accept a January school if their were space.

JDO1993

Anybody on here gone for the signaller roles in Cardiff? I’ve just completed my medical but no start date as of yet. Hopefully get some information soon.

AA Steve

Anybody on here gone for the signaller roles in Cardiff? I’ve just completed my medical but no start date as of yet. Hopefully get some information soon.
Yes, I've had a start date of the 9th October and another guy has had a different start date, 25th September if I remember rightly. It did take them 2 weeks to contact me after I had my medical. They will get round to you soon, I'm sure

JDO1993

That’s great thanks mate. Doesn’t look like il be on either of them dates as I haven’t heard yet but hopefully won’t be too long. Have they told you were the signalling school will be?
Yes, I've had a start date of the 9th October and another guy has had a different start date, 25th September if I remember rightly. It did take them 2 weeks to contact me after I had my medical. They will get round to you soon, I'm sure

Milesylv

Can anyone give insight on how the 12 month contract works prior to getting assigned a box? Do you complete IST and then get an assignment or can you be let go despite passing the course?

Open_G

Can anyone give insight on how the 12 month contract works prior to getting assigned a box? Do you complete IST and then get an assignment or can you be let go despite passing the course?
You can start applying for internal signalling vacancies straight away. If nothing comes to fruition they will assign you to train somewhere after IST. It’s very doubtful after all the money spent on training you that at the end of a year if you’ve still not found a permanent role that they will say thanks but no thanks.

Purely anecdotally I suspect that the year contract is to safeguard network rail against people who cannot get through IST and them then being left with an employee that they have no job for.

kevinc131

Hey all, got my pre-employment medical coming up. Does anyone know if there are any barriers to entry at this point? Or would any issues be monitored at occupational health level?

Milesylv

You can start applying for internal signalling vacancies straight away. If nothing comes to fruition they will assign you to train somewhere after IST. It’s very doubtful after all the money spent on training you that at the end of a year if you’ve still not found a permanent role that they will say thanks but no thanks.

Purely anecdotally I suspect that the year contract is to safeguard network rail against people who cannot get through IST and them then being left with an employee that they have no job for.
Thanks for this. I assumed something similar. I’ve been told by my hiring manager that two people are retiring April on the advertised line, so this seems appropriate if I were to pass IST December. So I assume I’ve been taken on to train at those boxes ready to take the role.

Lpf93

can anyone tell me do GPR shifts come with a premium?
Will be an additional 4% 18% 24% or 32% (a fixed percentage based on your contract). Depends how far from the base location your boxes are and how many pre rostered shifts you have I believe. Working rest days won’t include the flexibility premium

TheRunningMan

Received an update on my application the usual generic response saying that I was unsuccessful at this stage for the G2 in Warrington. Have however applied for a few more roles so fingers crossed!

manofthebay

Hello all,
First time posting after a fair bit of reading some 500+ pages

Applied for a G2 position in Valley / Gaerwen box in North Wales did the online tests and had the standard congratulations email next decision to next stage will be 2 weeks after closing so now the wait begins I guess. Though on my NR application page there is a little assessment symbold and also a book/rebook interview button though I suspect this isn't for me to book!

3 positions open on the vacancy ad.

I must say some absolutely gold nuggets of information on here, thanks all for any input, there must be so many people who have used this as a resource.

Thanks!

Afternoon guys, was anyone in here successful in the North Wales position, Bangor, Holyhead and Llandudno. If so have you received a start date and course start date by anychance?
How do pal,

I've recently applied and passed the initial online tests. Gone for a vacancy in Valley and Gaerwen, I drive over both crossings ( and by their boxes) a couple of times a week

Good Morning guys.. Newbie here! I've passed application and ability tests, just waiting to hear if I'm through to scenario and interview stage, they've said its 2 weeks after the closing date which is yesterday.. (Holyhead/Bangor and Llandudno Signaller)

How do they score you overall.. Is it points for each stage, and total it all up at the end?
Also any advice on the scenario and interview stage would be hugely appreciated
Similar role, location and stage as this except closing date just passed

Last edited:

Leedslad0113

Hello again everyone, I have a quick question about pay.

I’m starting with network rail on October 30th and I believe they use the same pay system I’m currently on (four weekly).

My last pay day from my current employer will be 27th October, and ordinarily I’d be expecting another wage on 24th November four weeks later.

I’d just like to know when I’d expect my first payday from network rail and how much to expect just to make sure my bills are obviously covered and on time when switching jobs.

Any help is appreciated.

red2512

Hello again everyone, I have a quick question about pay.

I’m starting with network rail on October 30th and I believe they use the same pay system I’m currently on (four weekly).

My last pay day from my current employer will be 27th October, and ordinarily I’d be expecting another wage on 24th November four weeks later.

I’d just like to know when I’d expect my first payday from network rail and how much to expect just to make sure my bills are obviously covered and on time when switching jobs.

Any help is appreciated.
October payday is 13th and November is 10th I believe. When I joined the pay cut off was 1 week beforehand so you will probably only get 1 weeks pay

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey all, got my pre-employment medical coming up. Does anyone know if there are any barriers to entry at this point? Or would any issues be monitored at occupational health level?
To the best of my knowledge, no there isn't. One point though, if you are taking regular prescribed medication then declare that to the medical person. Likewise, if you have any pre-employment medical conditions then notify the practitioner on the day.

One other note is that Network Rail are changing their healthcare provider from 1st November. It's being "brought back in house". That shouldn't make a difference to medical appointments, but there may be some initial teething problems as the transition takes place.

The Puddock

Hey all, got my pre-employment medical coming up. Does anyone know if there are any barriers to entry at this point?
If you do not have normal colour vision then you won’t meet the standard and the job offer would not be progressed. This is tested at the medical using a book of Ishihara plates.

Jenny

You could be offered Sunday turns, but they are not rest day working turns. Sundays are outside of the working week. The rostering principles does specify how uncovered Sunday turns are rostered, and whether they are base rostered turns or rosters without Sunday turns on. A note of caution, cherry-picking could cause friction amongst colleagues.

5. Cover arrangements for Sunday turns of duty
5.1. Subject to compliance with Section 1, Signalboxes with rostered Sunday turns on base roster:
5.1.1. Rostered Sunday turns are normally worked by rostered residentsignallers. In the event that a
rostered Sunday turn is uncovered this should first be offered to relief/ flexible signallers on an equalisation basis
5.1.2. In the event that no relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to resident
signallers on an equalisation basis
5.1.3. In the event that no resident or relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to relief/flexible signallers whose flexible band does not include the location concerned bearing in mind equalisation.

5.2. Subject to compliance with Section 1, Signalboxes with no rostered Sundays on the base roster:
5.2.1. All additional Sunday turns should first be offered to resident signallers on an equalisation basis
5.2.2. In the event that no resident signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to relief/flexible
signallers on an equalisation basis
5.2.3. In the event that no resident or relief/flexible signaller is available, then the turn should be offered to the relief/flexible signaller whose flexible band does not include the location concerned, bearing in mind equalization.
Ohh I didn’t mean cherry picking in that sense. I meant put a name down for ones where I know I will have childcare. Rather than trying to find it last minute or the week before. Thank you for principles. Very useful. Still waiting to hear back for an interview though…

Shunkadunk

A question for signallers - in a grade 2 signal box, are you kept really busy? Is there signinificant amounts of time where you're not doing anything? What do you do to keep busy? Is it ever boring? I've been offered a role but have also been offered another job where I would be out and about and be very busy. The signalling role is far higher salary but the thought if sitting around for hours in a box and only getting something to do every so often makes me a bit worried

Llanigraham

On Moderation
You don't say what type of Box you are going to, or where it imight be, which would help.

I was in a Gr2, lever frame Box and we had on average 4 trains an hour during the day shift, so you were on your feet delaing with the bells and levers for roughly 40 minutes of that hour, if they were equally spaced out. (they often weren't!) Between 2300 and 0600 things were a lot quieter. We were also dealing with 3 user worked farm crossings plus dealing with telephone calls from track workers, etc. It could get quite busy especially if there were faults occuring at the same time.

Yes there were gaps but that gave you time to make sure the paperwork was up to date, that the Box was clean, and gave you time to go to the loo and make a meal or a drink.

Was it boring? Yes sometimes, just as it is in any job, but it is very easy to find something to do. Many signallers read or even do model making. I even know of two signallers that wrote books in the slack periods, especially at night.

Shunkadunk

You don't say what type of Box you are going to, or where it imight be, which would help.

I was in a Gr2, lever frame Box and we had on average 4 trains an hour during the day shift, so you were on your feet delaing with the bells and levers for roughly 40 minutes of that hour, if they were equally spaced out. (they often weren't!) Between 2300 and 0600 things were a lot quieter. We were also dealing with 3 user worked farm crossings plus dealing with telephone calls from track workers, etc. It could get quite busy especially if there were faults occuring at the same time.

Yes there were gaps but that gave you time to make sure the paperwork was up to date, that the Box was clean, and gave you time to go to the loo and make a meal or a drink.

Was it boring? Yes sometimes, just as it is in any job, but it is very easy to find something to do. Many signallers read or even do model making. I even know of two signallers that wrote books in the slack periods, especially at night.
It's grade 2 at barnhill outside perth in Tayside, Scotland. I'm not sure what type of box it is. Thank you for the reply. That's helpful.