• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Frothy_B

I’m slightly overweight so I’m concerned that my BMI will be too high and I’ll fail.
I'm more than slightly overweight and my BMI put me into the category to be referred to a Network Rail Dr due to risk of sleep apnoea. Due to everything else being OK like Blood Pressure, it was deemed I'm not at high enough risk and so was passed. Had to wait another 2-3 weeks after original medical to find out though.

BMI alone won't fail you (don't know about Network Rail internal medicals, mine was with Optima) but it will be taken into consideration alongside your other results.

Definitely something I've now started working on though, as I'd like to pass the next few medicals also.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flashbang

I'm more than slightly overweight and my BMI put me into the category to be referred to a Network Rail Dr due to risk of sleep apnoea. Due to everything else being OK like Blood Pressure, it was deemed I'm not at high enough risk and so was passed. Had to wait another 2-3 weeks after original medical to find out though.

BMI alone won't fail you (don't know about Network Rail internal medicals, mine was with Optima) but it will be taken into consideration alongside your other results.

Definitely something I've now started working on though, as I'd like to pass the next few medicals also.

Yea I’m waiting for the Dr to call regarding some medication I’m on so In the same position as I passed everything else!

Although I have had my hotel booked for the IST and an email regarding it so seem to be expecting me to get signed off and sorted

benbrown09

Just got my physcometric assesment link for Rugby, anyone else work at Rugby/have any hints for assesment please folks!

Looking at the thread mate as long as you are generally fit and well you should be okay!

They are only overly concerned about insulin controlled diabetes, epilepsy, sleep apnea! Basically anything that could incapacitate you on the
Just got my physcometric assesment link for Rugby, anyone else work at Rugby/have any hints for assesment please folks!

Looking at the thread mate as long as you are generally fit and well you should be okay!

They are only overly concerned about insulin controlled diabetes, epilepsy, sleep apnea! Basically anything that could incapacitate you on the job!
Hiya so I’ve recently passed another set of psychometrics for the signaller role I’m new to posting on the forum but I have attempted to get into the rugby signaller role once before this year the only advice I can give really is make sure your free from distractions and make sure you read the instructions do the practice tutorials so you make sure you have a clear understanding of the task.

Hiya so I’ve recently passed another set of psychometrics for the signaller role I’m new to posting on the forum but I have attempted to get into the rugby signaller role once before this year the only advice I can give really is make sure your free from distractions and make sure you read the instructions do the practice tutorials so you make sure you have a clear understanding of the task.
I have also applied for Rugby once again.

bhabloke

Hi all, new poster here, thought I had posted previously but it does not look it. Starting my IST at James Forbes House 22nd of January. Anyone else here have the same start date?
Hi Dan, My start date is the 13th November and I have been informed that my IST training will be from 22nd January in London. They didnt specify it was James Forbes House but it looks like that could be the Location!

benbrown09

Good luck to all those starting IST soon the signaller role is something I’ve been aspiring to get into its a fantastic role. I just cannot seem to get through

Dan160

Hi Dan, My start date is the 13th November and I have been informed that my IST training will be from 22nd January in London. They didnt specify it was James Forbes House but it looks like that could be the Location!
Nice, i presume it will probably be the same location as they do not run many courses. I did get a call the other day asking if I could start on the 13th too, but I am on 3 months notice with my current job, so no chance.

C13

Hi, I applied for a signaller grade 2 position, had my interview and didn’t pass as I didn’t know enough about the role. My own fault as I should have done a bit more research but does anyone know how often nr recruit? There isn’t any positions in or around Manchester at the minute, but I’m hoping some position become available soon as now I’m set on becoming a signaller.
Any information would be massively appreciated

hpp2000

Hi, I applied for a signaller grade 2 position, had my interview and didn’t pass as I didn’t know enough about the role. My own fault as I should have done a bit more research but does anyone know how often nr recruit? There isn’t any positions in or around Manchester at the minute, but I’m hoping some position become available soon as now I’m set on becoming a signaller.
Any information would be massively appreciated
What sort of questions did they ask?

I have also applied for Rugby once again.
Amazing Ben, have you heard anything about interviews yet

C13

Describe a time you dealt with a difficult person but managed to turn it into a positive experience.
What is your understanding of the role of a signaller?
Describe an event at work that required high levels of concentration and what you did to remain focused.
Give an example of managing a high workload situation where you had to deal with multiple priorities at once.
Give an example of making a safety critical decision under pressure.

They are massive on star so make sure to use it.
Overall the interview wasn’t as intense as I thought. But I would highly recommend do quite a bit of research in the role itself so you have an idea of what a signaller does on a day to day basis.

good luck everyone. Hopefully I’ll get it next time

Equalizer

Thank you for sharing this :)

Did they ask the usual stuff also like

why you want to join network rail,

why be a signaller,

The 10 lifesaving rules

Or were these the only questions that came up. My interview is meant to be 60 minutes.

Im sure you will get it now you know, what to cover

C13

Thank you for sharing this :)

Did they ask the usual stuff also like

why you want to join network rail,

why be a signaller,

The 10 lifesaving rules

Or were these the only questions that came up. My interview is meant to be 60 minutes.

Im sure you will get it now you know, what to cover
They asked why I want to become a signaller but not so much why I want to work for network rail.

Nothing about the life saving rules but I would get to know them just incase.

They did ask me what nr safety vision is ‘Everyone home safe every day’ so remember that.

My interview lasted around 45 mins but it seemed so much shorter. I felt like I was only in there for about 20
mins.

I’ve asked for feedback and the it’s mostly signaller role related that I failed on so just research it heavily.

But over all I would just say prepare, take your time and explain everything clearly. You should be fine. Good luck

Equalizer

They asked why I want to become a signaller but not so much why I want to work for network rail.

Nothing about the life saving rules but I would get to know them just incase.

They did ask me what nr safety vision is ‘Everyone home safe every day’ so remember that.

My interview lasted around 45 mins but it seemed so much shorter. I felt like I was only in there for about 20
mins.

I’ve asked for feedback and the it’s mostly signaller role related that I failed on so just research it heavily.

But over all I would just say prepare, take your time and explain everything clearly. You should be fine. Good luck
Thanks mate, you have been very helpful.

I've got 4 of the 5 sections of lifesaving rules down to memory for some reason I keep tripping up on saying the two from electricity lol.

Good luck for next time

JDO1993

Thanks mate, you have been very helpful.

I've got 4 of the 5 sections of lifesaving rules down to memory for some reason I keep tripping up on saying the two from electricity lol.

Good luck for next time
A bit of advice would be to more focus on thinking of examples for the scenario questions. While it’s brilliant to have all the lifesaving rules, they just want to see you’ve looked and researched. Two or 3 examples of them and moving on is what worked for me.

Daniel Hassan

Describe a time you dealt with a difficult person but managed to turn it into a positive experience.
What is your understanding of the role of a signaller?
Describe an event at work that required high levels of concentration and what you did to remain focused.
Give an example of managing a high workload situation where you had to deal with multiple priorities at once.
Give an example of making a safety critical decision under pressure.

They are massive on star so make sure to use it.
Overall the interview wasn’t as intense as I thought. But I would highly recommend do quite a bit of research in the role itself so you have an idea of what a signaller does on a day to day basis.

good luck everyone. Hopefully I’ll get it next time

Bet you’re gutted. Got so close as well. I’m gutted I passed my assessments, but I didn’t get an interview in the end, so i can only feel for you getting so close. I know you said it was your fault but still.

Equalizer

A bit of advice would be to more focus on thinking of examples for the scenario questions. While it’s brilliant to have all the lifesaving rules, they just want to see you’ve looked and researched. Two or 3 examples of them and moving on is what worked for me.
Thanks mate

I won't focus to much on them and keep it to 3 to 5 examples of the life saving rules.

Atm I've been redrafting some examples scenerios a couple days ago that didn't cover the ones mentioned earlier for the star questions. For example I had one for working under pressure but not safety critical so need to use another example.

Last edited:

BG1983

Got my medical arranged but it's not going to be until 13th December. I have been given a provisional start date of 15th January. I need to provide my current employer 4 weeks notice so that doesn't give much time at all for getting confirmation of offer and handing in notice. Anyone else had this issue?

chrislfc

Agree with this. I didn’t mention any of the individual rules, but did drop in that I knew the NR website was built on Wordpress when I saw the download url for the lifesaving rules pdf (I’m sad like that!).

Also wouldn’t think too much into preparing examples. Have 1-3 word bullet points, couple for each NTS, that you can go with and build from as you answer. Prep too much and you’ll come across as robotic.

FWIW I don’t think I structured my answers particularly well, although a few of the questions threw me! I got in as a first time applicant off the street, so there’s hope for everyone.

I did put plenty of effort into researching the role Pre interview, but stayed away from learning anything about how the job is actually done. I want to be a blank canvas at IST, and there’s a danger I won’t be if I pick things up from videos.

Don’t over think it, be natural, and have a glass of water on standby to buy you a few seconds when you need to think of the best answer to give.

GMTUK

Great work sir.

I’ve had verbal confirmation from my LOM of a start date on the 6th Nov and IST on the 13th Nov.

He said should get something through in the next day or so.

benbrown09

I haven't heard about the interviews yet but I expect we will hear on Friday or next week. Remember it is a very competitive role so you must be prepared to research the role. Make sure that you look for the lifesaving rules.

Thanks I hope to see you at interview.

Ben.

hpp2000

I haven't heard about the interviews yet but I expect we will hear on Friday or next week. Remember it is a very competitive role so you must be prepared to research the role. Make sure that you look for the lifesaving rules.

Thanks I hope to see you at interview.

Ben.
Thanks man, appreciate it!

Do you get feedback on the psychometrics or is it straight interview or rejection

Great work sir.

I’ve had verbal confirmation from my LOM of a start date on the 6th Nov and IST on the 13th Nov.

He said should get something through in the next day or so.
Where abouts are you based mate?

Also anyone know if you can take holiday during IST?

Last edited:

chrislfc

Do you get feedback on the psychometrics or is it straight interview or rejection

Fairly confident you can’t take anytime off during IST.

Alex95

Definitely no annual leave allowed to be booked during IST.

I recall there was a paragraph in the joining instructions, or similar, outlining this. Annual leave is allowed to be taken once you've passed the course and you're training at your location.

Hi all, long time lurker here.

After applying back in April for a Lincolnshire role I got a phonecall today offering me a position - very exciting! They gave me a contract start date sometime in mid-December and IST start date is in February at Derby. Kind of curious what the process is between December and February if anyone knows, and anyone else on the Feb Derby IST course?

:)

If it's still the same as a few years ago then you won't attend IST between Christmas Eve and New Year, however depending on your line manager you might have to sit in some signal boxes during that week, or you might be lucky and get all the time off paid. It really depends on what the management want you to do.

Last edited:

GMTUK

Will be York ROC and IST at York also

Definitely no annual leave allowed to be booked during IST.

I recall there was a paragraph in the joining instructions, or similar, outlining this. Annual leave is allowed to be taken once you've passed the course and you're training at your location.

If it's still the same as a few years ago then you won't attend IST between Christmas Eve and New Year, however depending on your line manager you might have to sit in some signal boxes during that week, or you might be lucky and get all the time off paid. It really depends on what the management want you to do.
Yeah was told there will be a “weeks break” so hopefully give a bit of time to revise a bit more and some time at home.

bouff34

Will be York ROC and IST at York also

Yeah was told there will be a “weeks break” so hopefully give a bit of time to revise a bit more and some time at home.
The break is from IST... if your LOM wants you to sit in a signal box then that is what you'll have to do. But you will definitely be 'booked off' for all of the Bank Holidays...

benbrown09

So if you pass the psychometrics is an interview likely or is it based upon your application and the fact you have passed the psychometrics? Apologies if this has been asked already.

Frothy_B

So if you pass the psychometrics is an interview likely or is it based upon your application and the fact you have passed the psychometrics? Apologies if this has been asked already.
I can't say this as gospel, but from what I've read much earlier in this thread and from what I think of my own experience you have an overall score, based on your application and the psychometrics. How this is weighted I don't know, the three times I applied when passing the psychometrics I was offered an interview (unable to attend one, attended the second, the third I was invited the day before I got offered this current role). The first interview was with a different psychometric score than the second and third interview, and I also failed a psychometrics test in-between them so I was sidelined for 6 months.

Then if they have say 10 vacancies, they will interview the top 40 scoring applicants and you'll then get a overall score from there.

NXFlyer

What kind of times are people getting between sending in the acceptance form/history check and getting your start date confirmed?

hpp2000

Just got an email saying they sent me the wrong physcometric assesment for the rugby posting . Anyone encountered this before