• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

chrislfc

Hi guys, had my medical Monday and was just wondering how long I should expect to wait to hear back with a formal offer?
Don’t know about you mate, but mine was sub contracted to Express Medicals by Optima. She said the results would need to go back to Optima before making their way to NR, so I assume that’s what the delay is with mine, possibly the same for you too?

She’d already said drug/alcohol tests were clear, so I’m guessing it’s just stuck somewhere between the three companies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan4321

Don’t know about you mate, but mine was sub contracted to Express Medicals by Optima. She said the results would need to go back to Optima before making their way to NR, so I assume that’s what the delay is with mine, possibly the same for you too?

She’d already said drug/alcohol tests were clear, so I’m guessing it’s just stuck somewhere between the three companies.
Hi, yes exact same for me mate express medical done mine so I’m assuming we are in the same boat, if you don’t mind me asking where by are you going to be working because we seem to be on the same timeframe?

Optima took a urine sample and tested it on site. He confirmed no concerns. He stated if there was any slight doubt on the readings, it would need to be sent to the lab to confirm that all was okay. If you know it was sent to the lab, you have to wait around a week for those results. This is why he confirmed with me on the day that I had passed the medical as extra checks were not required. My medical was with Optima in York. They no longer have the contract and it's now done in house with NR I believe.
I think it’s because of them sub contracting to express medical, but thank you for the info :)

LuckyTaffy

Evening all,

Apologies for a new thread! Appreciate any advice from anyone.

Currently in IST as we speak & have been told currently there is only 2 resident spots Available at this current time (maybe more by the time the course has run it’s self & signed off on all panels)

Salary wise I know there’s no difference (grade 7) but I’m confused as to what this means with Sundays & OT. Can anyone shed some light Please?

Reason is to be able to try & plan my next steps House wise etc, so was semi banking on having nights & Sundays booked.

Thank you in advance

Note; have been told all will be relief signallers*

Signallergirl

Hi all

First time poster

So I was offered grade 2 role for Selby area with a provisional start date of 22nd Jan and IST 4th Feb back in august. All pre employment checks, dbs etc have been done and had my medical on Friday which the lovely lady there told me I had passed as absolutely no issues. I have been reading a few pages on this thread and can see people are starting IST in York in November and Jan. Has anyone had their start date brought forward as I’m pretty sure two IST’s won’t be running along side each other at the same location (York) in January and February. I’m hoping they will bring mine forward as my current job is painful and I really just want to get cracking at Network Rail. Also any other females starting around this time

Great work sir.

I’ve had verbal confirmation from my LOM of a start date on the 6th Nov and IST on the 13th Nov.

He said should get something through in the next day or so.
Have they brought your start date forward. I’m hoping they will mine. Currently a provisional start date of 22nd Jan in York but all pre employment checks and medical now complete so I’m praying

Open_G

I’m pretty sure two IST’s won’t be running along side each other at the same location (York) in January and February.
There is the capacity for a couple of AB groups to run. Only my experience but there was a group in the later stages when we started and followed on by a group who joined when we were around week 5 I think. (This was the longer course too)

Also there may be a group in on TCB too.

Lucy83

Received a reply back today that the current round of interview spaces has been taken, but they would like to keep my application for the next round of interviews?

But gutted, but still holding out hope for an interview. I'd applied for trainee Grade 3 at Oakham/Melton.

Hi all

First time poster

So I was offered grade 2 role for Selby area with a provisional start date of 22nd Jan and IST 4th Feb back in august. All pre employment checks, dbs etc have been done and had my medical on Friday which the lovely lady there told me I had passed as absolutely no issues. I have been reading a few pages on this thread and can see people are starting IST in York in November and Jan. Has anyone had their start date brought forward as I’m pretty sure two IST’s won’t be running along side each other at the same location (York) in January and February. I’m hoping they will bring mine forward as my current job is painful and I really just want to get cracking at Network Rail. Also any other females starting around this time

Have they brought your start date forward. I’m hoping they will mine. Currently a provisional start date of 22nd Jan in York but all pre employment checks and medical now complete so I’m praying
Hi just wanted to say hello I'll be based in the Wakefield area and I'm on the same course as you.So I'll see you there.

Equalizer

I got a bit of weird feedback from recruitment

I applied for two roles Grade 2 and grade 3

The grade 2 I went all the way to interview stage and awaiting on the outcome of that.

I got a email with the following feedback

"We wanted to let you know that your performance in the live interview and your overall Signaller application has been great."

The grade 3 role which closed recieving applications last week using the same tests and application I did for the grade 2.

Today I got this feedback

"
Your application was competitive and you demonstrated a good understanding of the signalling role. But, on this occasion, we are unable to offer you an interview. Due to the technically challenging and fast-paced operational demands associated with this signalling role, we are only able to take those candidates forward that have demonstrated a very specific skill set and a level of aptitude needed to succeed in the role.

You have some of the core skills required from all our signallers so please do not be put off from applying again. We are always recruiting so you may want to look at some of our other signalling opportunities at different levels and start your journey with us in this way. "

My question is is there a huge dramatic leap from grade 2 to grade 3 for being rejected?

NXFlyer

I got a bit of weird feedback from recruitment

I applied for two roles Grade 2 and grade 3

The grade 2 I went all the way to interview stage and awaiting on the outcome of that.

I got a email with the following feedback

"We wanted to let you know that your performance in the live interview and your overall Signaller application has been great."

The grade 3 role which closed recieving applications last week using the same tests and application I did for the grade 2.

Today I got this feedback

"
Your application was competitive and you demonstrated a good understanding of the signalling role. But, on this occasion, we are unable to offer you an interview. Due to the technically challenging and fast-paced operational demands associated with this signalling role, we are only able to take those candidates forward that have demonstrated a very specific skill set and a level of aptitude needed to succeed in the role.

You have some of the core skills required from all our signallers so please do not be put off from applying again. We are always recruiting so you may want to look at some of our other signalling opportunities at different levels and start your journey with us in this way. "

My question is is there a huge dramatic leap from grade 2 to grade 3 for being rejected?
Just how it goes unfortunately, depends on what they're looking for specifically. I applied for many grade 2 positions and only got 1 interview out of them all despite using the same tests.

That email is just the default response, seen it many times

Signallergirl

Hi just wanted to say hello I'll be based in the Wakefield area and I'm on the same course as you.So I'll see you there.
Hi

Have you had a start date confirmed yet. I guess it must be correct if you have had the same date as me.

I was hoping it would be earlier but I’ll sit tight. See you at IST :)

Hi

Have you had a start date confirmed yet. I guess it must be correct if you have had the same date as me.

I was hoping it would be earlier but I’ll sit tight. See you at IST :)
Yep confirmed start date.Im exactly same as you offer in August and just waiting for January now.I was also hoping for an earlier start.Still new year new job can't wait to get started.Ive already met my LOM and MOM they seem really nice See you in January.

Primo

Due to start this coming Monday (30th Oct). Had my e-learning schedule from HR consisting of what I need to complete in the first 2 weeks prior to attending IST. Prior to this the last email I got was over 2 months ago confirming my checks are complete and that my manager will be in contact closer to the time. Not spoken to anyone or had any emails since apart from the e-learning schedule.
Just checking if there are others who are in the same position as me or been in this position previously and I just need to be patient as someone will contact me. Just not sure on the details eg. Where I am supposed to report to on Monday/time etc.

NXFlyer

Medical booked now for mid-November, no longer Optima health. Hopefully things will get rolling once that's done!

GMTUK

Hi all

First time poster

Hi sorry for the lateness to reply.
Yes mine was brought forward and I’m led to believe that I’m on a TCB course and not an AB one due to position, so they could well be running two in January.

Had all my paperwork through and employment number through so already ready to go.

Let me know how you get on with your journey.

Rob78

Hi sorry for the lateness to reply.
Yes mine was brought forward and I’m led to believe that I’m on a TCB course and not an AB one due to position, so they could well be running two in January.

Had all my paperwork through and employment number through so already ready to go.

Let me know how you get on with your journey.
Hi GMTUK

I think I may be on the same IST as you. I have a start date of 06th Nov at York ROC and starting IST York 13th Nov. Although I’ve had no paperwork to confirm the IST as yet but have my employment number.

Cheers
Rob

GMTUK

Hi GMTUK

I think I may be on the same IST as you. I have a start date of 06th Nov at York ROC and starting IST York 13th Nov. Although I’ve had no paperwork to confirm the IST as yet but have my employment number.

Cheers
Rob
Hi mate. DM'd you but I think we will be and also I am assuming will get a load of paperwork on day one.

RailwayRookie

Hi mate. DM'd you but I think we will be and also I am assuming will get a load of paperwork on day one.
Hey Both, I'm doing a pre-IST course in Ipswich from the 30th with my IST date on the 13th Nov as well, it's not officially York yet but person arranging it said its most likely. So I guess I'll be with you guys too

GMTUK

Hey Both, I'm doing a pre-IST course in Ipswich from the 30th with my IST date on the 13th Nov as well, it's not officially York yet but person arranging it said its most likely. So I guess I'll be with you guys too
The more the merrier mate, welcomes Bit of a trek for you from Ipswich but at least it’s a decent city to live in for 10 weeks

BG1983

Quick question. For IST when you are put up.in a hotel miles away from home is there some sort of food allowance or are you expected to sort that yourself

Lpf93

Quick question. For IST when you are put up.in a hotel miles away from home is there some sort of food allowance or are you expected to sort that yourself
Breakfast was provided at the hotel and so was an evening meal. Alternatively you have a £25 meal allowance if you want to eat out that you pay for and then claim back on as expenses (alcohol not included) so keep the receipt

Open_G

Breakfast was provided at the hotel and so was an evening meal. Alternatively you have a £25 meal allowance if you want to eat out that you pay for and then claim back on as expenses (alcohol not included) so keep the receipt
Lunch also provided.

I avoided breakfast most days in an effort to keep the kilos off. I think it’s quite common to gain a bit of weight at IST.

NXFlyer

Just out of interest, afaik accommodation is only provided Mon-Fri, what do people tend to do over the weekends? Go home? find their own accommodation?

RailwayRookie

Just out of interest, afaik accommodation is only provided Mon-Fri, what do people tend to do over the weekends? Go home? find their own accommodation?
I was told (rather unofficially) that depending on distance, accommodation may also be provided Sunday Night.
I will have a 3.5 hour trip to IST so I hope that's the case, otherwise I believe a lot of people go home Friday night.

red2512

I was told (rather unofficially) that depending on distance, accommodation may also be provided Sunday Night.
I will have a 3.5 hour trip to IST so I hope that's the case, otherwise I believe a lot of people go home Friday night.
I think the ruling is if your journey is over an hour you are able to stay on the Sunday night too. That is definitely the case with me and people on my course currently

Open_G

I was only 2hrs away. Sunday travel and accommodation was provided. Sunday evening is a good time to get to on the sims.

LaureB

Medical booked now for mid-November, no longer Optima health. Hopefully things will get rolling once that's done!
Same! In Crewe...

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with working part-time as a signaller or general advice/experience re reasonable adjustments from Network Rail? In particular with neurodivergency, ie ADHD, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. Thanks!