• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

RailwayRookie

Good morning all.

My start date for NR is the 3rd and I begin IST on the 8th, I’ve received the pre-IST E-learning instructions and In which it states I will have to complete the remaining 5 days of E-Learning, Concurrent with classroom based learning and compelte all E learning by the friday of week 1 To be assessed on the subject. Has anyone also had this expirnence and got tips on how to manage workload to maintain high levels of information retention when work flow will seem monotonous.
Hi Lynx,

I was hired by NR over a month ago and start IST the same day as you, I done my pre-IST E-learning as a mix of on site and home based.. Although it says 5 days worth, there's realistically only a couple of hours per day, if you have access there's no harm in doing it before going so you can focus on week 1 as it happens..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Equalizer

Hi Lynx,

I was hired by NR over a month ago and start IST the same day as you, I done my pre-IST E-learning as a mix of on site and home based.. Although it says 5 days worth, there's realistically only a couple of hours per day, if you have access there's no harm in doing it before going so you can focus on week 1 as it happens..
Didn't candidates have at least 2 weeks between starting ist training and getting to do the e learning not sure why they are compacting it even more so close to dates.

Lynx

Hi Lynx,

Seems quite unfair in a way that I will have to cram this learning into a few days but I will try my hardest to get it all done prior to week 1!

RailwayRookie

Seems quite unfair in a way that I will have to cram this learning into a few days but I will try my hardest to get it all done prior to week 1!
Understandable, for what it's worth in my experience it's very basic foundation stuff, like a small introduction into a few topics just to understand basic principles, terminologies and which areas of the business handle which infrastructure etc.

Buiadh

Hi folks,
I'm currently taking painkillers for a bad back (pulled it by twisting awkwardly!) and I have a pre-joining medical booked for Monday.

Would either my temporary painful back be a barrier to me passing a medical? Or would me taking codeine based painkillers cause a problem??
Thanks.

kenny01

Hi folks,
I'm currently taking painkillers for a bad back (pulled it by twisting awkwardly!) and I have a pre-joining medical booked for Monday.

Would either my temporary painful back be a barrier to me passing a medical? Or would me taking codeine based painkillers cause a problem??
Thanks.

Hi there.

I had the same issue. As long as you declare what you’re taking, you won’t have a problem. I also brought the box my medication was in to show them my details and the prescription, just as a back up

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hi guys,

Pleased to say, I've just been offered the grade 2 position for mid Wales. Looking to start ITS im April.
Waited nearly 8 weeks for this decision, but I'm over the moon.

Thanks for all the advice, tips and kind words.

I'm intrigued where, as I can't think of any Gr2 Boxes in Mid Wales.

dave112

hi all recieved rhe below message regarding the role has anyone had anyrhing similar? or does anyone understand what it means.

1702847779788.png

SJ21

hi all recieved rhe below message regarding the role has anyone had anyrhing similar? or does anyone understand what it means.
If it’s any help i received an email at 10 past 9 this morning saying I had failed the interview that I had never gone to for this exact role. Have emailed recruitment to see what is happening as seems to be a slight mess up at the moment for this role. They are very good at responding to emails from previous emails to them, and have never had a problem contacting them if needed

NXFlyer

I think it’s the new way they’re doing recruitment. Get a group of pool signallers and then when a vacancy comes up they can apply for it so g2 while training
What happens then if no vacancies come up during IST? I imagine they know positions are coming up - they wouldn't want signallers sitting around with no box.

CoachB

I asked this when I was having my motivational fit interview and was told that's there's always vacancies either available or coming up. I know from friends in the rail industry that there are vacancies in my area due to retirements or jobs that haven't been put up externally again and they're just using their current signallers to cover the vacancies until they get people in.

dave112

If it’s any help i received an email at 10 past 9 this morning saying I had failed the interview that I had never gone to for this exact role. Have emailed recruitment to see what is happening as seems to be a slight mess up at the moment for this role. They are very good at responding to emails from previous emails to them, and have never had a problem contacting them if needed

mine came through around the same time on a Sunday morning which seemed odd. I thought I may have had a good chance as I was given an interview for a grade 9 role 4 weeks ago. I'd be interested to hear what they say to your email.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
What happens then if no vacancies come up during IST? I imagine they know positions are coming up - they wouldn't want signallers sitting around with no box.

What intrigues me is 'boxes in Mid Wales', since they are very scarce!
Depending on how you define that region really the only one is Machynlleth.
Boxes on the southern Heart of Wales line are in South Wales.

Lpf93

Something I wondered myself considering all of the boxes are full after a recent recruitment drive but people are always moving on so I imagine something will come up during/after signal school. The interviewing for a role again a little weird. NWR paid for someone to go signal school and someone off the street might score better than them at interview

Donachie

Very happy to announce that I've landed a grade 2 trainee role in dumfriesshire, got a phonecall this morning with my start date and date for signalling school.

Over the moon doesn't quite cut how I'm feeling at the moment.
Congratulations.

What box was vacancy for ?

. The interviewing for a role again a little weird. NWR paid for someone to go signal school and someone off the street might score better than them at interview
Most of the jobs don’t go external so they will only be interviewing against other internal candidates.
Also, since the new pay deal, I believe LOMs are allowed to appoint these contingent style signallers directly into available low grade vacancies based on their initial interviews, rather than having to readvertise and interview every time.

CoachB

Congratulations.

What box was vacancy for ?
Thank you.

I've been hired into the dumfriesshire area at the moment until I've completed signalling school.

From the conversation I had it's the first time they are using the trainee role in scotland rather that hiring for individual boxes.

I'll be able to apply for any vacancies in my area during or after signalling school, however I'm aware there are some vacancies at the moment or coming up.

Cheney B50

Does anybody on here work at Shrewsbury signal box or has knowledge of it? And doesn’t mind having a chat. Thanks in advance

DMckduck97

Have network rail changed their recruitment process wholesale? What's this about people being in IST and not having a box?

Last edited:

HamSandwich

Have network rail changed their recruitment process wholesale? What's this about people being in IST and not having a box?
I was recruited in 2020 and had this, 12 month contract including passing signalling school, then apply for vacancies during and afterwards. It's not brand new. I didn't manage to secure a box after completing IST (three of the six in my class were in this position) so we trained at boxes and kept applying. I took a crossing keeper role in the meantime to gain experience of the line and shift working, which was really helpful. They are not going to turf you out once they've spent good money training you up, just keep trying, keep showing enthusiasm and eventually you'll get a permanent post.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Does anybody on here work at Shrewsbury signal box or has knowledge of it? And doesn’t mind having a chat. Thanks in advance
I’m afraid I don’t work in that area but Shrewsbury has 4 signal boxes in the city limits alone, and several within the surrounding area are managed from there. Would you have any more specific info in re of which box?

DMckduck97

I was recruited in 2020 and had this, 12 month contract including passing signalling school, then apply for vacancies during and afterwards. It's not brand new. I didn't manage to secure a box after completing IST (three of the six in my class were in this position) so we trained at boxes and kept applying. I took a crossing keeper role in the meantime to gain experience of the line and shift working, which was really helpful. They are not going to turf you out once they've spent good money training you up, just keep trying, keep showing enthusiasm and eventually you'll get a permanent post.
Is there any assurances though they won't have you out the door even though common sense would suggest it's not smart business wasting money training you.
Could it even affect the potential quality of the pool of candidates if there's no assigned box on intake. People with families and mortgages may have to think twice about giving up a current role? Interesting...

cc27

I passed the online psychometric tests back in April this year, how long are they valid for? I’m applying to more signaller roles and wondering if they would be carried over.

CoachB

I passed the online psychometric tests back in April this year, how long are they valid for? I’m applying to more signaller roles and wondering if they would be carried over.
Unless things have changed they're only valid for 6 months from when you last done them.