• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Ollie7

No not at all really.

The change in people is that TBROC has grade 9s in the same building so everyone just eventually moves
Ah that makes sense thank you, is grade 9 worth the move? Or is it a lot harder, the pay would certainly indicate that it’s better

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ollie7

Hi Jenny, from what i have heard, there are locations in Leeds, York and Newport South Wales? I'm sure there are others.
On my application is said nothing about signalling school, I’ll happily attend it if needed but to become a signaller do you have to go to one of the locations? Or do some places train you at there place. Sorry if that’s confusing

C13

Hello hello. Has anyone seen or applied for the G2 trainee role in and around Manchester that are currently on indeed. I have but those roles aren’t on the NR careers page and I haven’t had a confirmation to say that my application has been received.
Also the email that was provided on the application for support was [email protected] which is different from the email address I received on on my last application where I was unfortunately unsuccessful. I emailed a separate email address that I had on file from my last application just to confirm if these role where legit as I am very much aware the is a lot of fake ads on indeed atm, and they sent my the above email and said to contact it to confirm which I did about 5 days ago and have still not heard anything.
I’m hoping the ads are legit as I would love another shot at signalling but I’m loosing hope. Any info anyone has would be massively appreciated

Dread Pirate

On my application is said nothing about signalling school, I’ll happily attend it if needed but to become a signaller do you have to go to one of the locations? Or do some places train you at there place. Sorry if that’s confusing
You have to go to signalling school. It’s a 10 week residential course.

SC1901

Hello hello. Has anyone seen or applied for the G2 trainee role in and around Manchester that are currently on indeed. I have but those roles aren’t on the NR careers page and I haven’t had a confirmation to say that my application has been received.
Also the email that was provided on the application for support was [email protected] which is different from the email address I received on on my last application where I was unfortunately unsuccessful. I emailed a separate email address that I had on file from my last application just to confirm if these role where legit as I am very much aware the is a lot of fake ads on indeed atm, and they sent my the above email and said to contact it to confirm which I did about 5 days ago and have still not heard anything.
I’m hoping the ads are legit as I would love another shot at signalling but I’m loosing hope. Any info anyone has would be massively appreciated
I was thinking the exact same thing - not yet put my application in as I'm just nailing down the four questions you need to answer but I intend on getting it in very soon.

I have seen another post earlier in this thread relating to the same thing but for positions in Glasgow so may well be an external advertisement that NR use.

cc27

I was thinking the exact same thing - not yet put my application in as I'm just nailing down the four questions you need to answer but I intend on getting it in very soon.

I have seen another post earlier in this thread relating to the same thing but for positions in Glasgow so may well be an external advertisement that NR use.
I called the number on the advert for the Glasgow ones, it turns out it’s a recruitment agency that NWR use for graduates usually but they’re now doing a lot of signaller recruitment. Seems legitimate as NWR have Ambertrack and the phone numbers on the adverts in their privacy policy.

What are the 4 questions? Haven’t got through to that part on the application yet.

C13

I received a response today finally. It’s recruitment team the nwr now use. They have had a massive response as to the ad’s so it’s taking a little time to get round to processing the application but i will hear something soon.

In regards to the question do you mean the 4 question on the application form?

Hoping and praying I get through this time. I applied a few months back and was unsuccessful at the interview stage as they felt I didn’t know much about the actual role of a signaller so a lot of research has been done this time round

RyW1

Finally been given a start date for grade 2 (trainee) colchester areas, I start 03/01 and my IST begins 08/01 however they still haven’t said a location. Is anyone else likely to be on the same time frame as I am?

/ has any information I might not haha
I got a start for IST on the 8th mate. Birmingham.

SC1901

I received a response today finally. It’s recruitment team the nwr now use. They have had a massive response as to the ad’s so it’s taking a little time to get round to processing the application but i will hear something soon.

In regards to the question do you mean the 4 question on the application form?

Hoping and praying I get through this time. I applied a few months back and was unsuccessful at the interview stage as they felt I didn’t know much about the actual role of a signaller so a lot of research has been done this time round
I've just submitted mine and completed the online assessments. Yeah the four questions on the registration form.

It was a little strange as I clicked on the "start online assessments" on the NWR portal which I then completed the tests but then got an email from the ambertrack team asking me to register to complete the online assessments and it was a totally different platform. Also one said I had 5 days to complete them while the other said I had three days to complete them. So god knows if my responses have been submitted. But I guess I'll find out.

Good luck mate, first time applying for me and knowing how difficult the whole signaller process is I wont be too disheartened if I'm unsuccessful.

I called the number on the advert for the Glasgow ones, it turns out it’s a recruitment agency that NWR use for graduates usually but they’re now doing a lot of signaller recruitment. Seems legitimate as NWR have Ambertrack and the phone numbers on the adverts in their privacy policy.

What are the 4 questions? Haven’t got through to that part on the application yet.
It was 4 questions on the registration part of the application - pretty early on. Asking about why you want to join NWR and as a signaller, your experience and how it relates, your top three qualities and how you keep up with self-development. Standard application questions really.

Ducatist4

For anyone thinking of submitting an application I would advise you to get it in a soon as possible - signaller recruitment is very competitive and they will often close the vacancy before the deadline if they have received enough applications.

Still waiting. Its 5 weeks today since my medical. I was given a date of 8th January for the training school, I need to give a month notice to my employer, this date has come and gone so I'm in limbo now. Really frustrating, not a great first impression!

NXFlyer

Still waiting. Its 5 weeks today since my medical. I was given a date of 8th January for the training school, I need to give a month notice to my employer, this date has come and gone so I'm in limbo now. Really frustrating, not a great first impression!
I had my medical the same day as you, only heard back 3 days ago and finally things are moving along again. It's frustrating, my LOM said they were having issues with the change of medical provider hence the delay.

Ollie7

Still waiting. It’s 5 weeks today since my medical. I was given a date of 8th January for the training school, I need to give a month notice to my employer, this date has come and gone so I'm in limbo now. Really frustrating, not a great first impression!
Do you have to do the medical after the interview? Or is there another step after that. I’ve just had my interview and I’m not sure how I did

NXFlyer

Do you have to do the medical after the interview? Or is there another step after that. I’ve just had my interview and I’m not sure how I did
Interview > Offer > Medical and employment history checks > Onboarding etc.

RailRookie326

Happy to announce that I've been offered a grade 2 trainee position in Tayside! Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this whole thread, it has been very helpful.

Fast2London

I applied for a train signaller role (grade 6) i have no past experience in signalling or anything like that, Is the higher the grade the harder the job, is grade 6 too hard for someone who’s knows very little about signalling? Any response is appreciated
I have just been offered grade 8 with no experience in signalling or any previous railway knowledge. The interview team said that you are taught everything you need to know at signalling school. They are very much looking at transferable skills.

Ollie7

I have just been offered grade 8 with no experience in signalling or any previous railway knowledge. The interview team said that you are taught everything you need to know at signalling school. They are very much looking at transferable skills.
If you don’t mind me asking what was your previous jobs/ transferable skills

cgageanu88

Hi Again,

I was just looking trough my application dashboard, and there is a new input in there saying Formal Offer Sent, but there is not e-mail in my inbox, junk or any of my e-mail folders. There anyone have any idea why there is no e-mail coming trough or why nobody from onboarding team made contact yet?

Thanks

CoachB

Very happy to announce that I've landed a grade 2 trainee role in dumfriesshire, got a phonecall this morning with my start date and date for signalling school.

Over the moon doesn't quite cut how I'm feeling at the moment.

Fast2London

If you don’t mind me asking what was your previous jobs/ transferable skills
I work in education conducting psychometric assessment, so lots of attention to detail required. A lot of my experiences that I used in the interview were from my time in the Army Cadets though; running live firing ranges and managing people in safety critical environments.

NXFlyer

It seems now the main signaller recruitment has moved to that Ambertrack site. Seems a bit of a pain - I can't find a way to see full details of the vacancies unless I'm missing something

Ollie7

I work in education conducting psychometric assessment, so lots of attention to detail required. A lot of my experiences that I used in the interview were from my time in the Army Cadets though; running live firing ranges and managing people in safety critical environments.
Ah my previous roles are no way as good as that!

Lynx

Good morning all.

My start date for NR is the 3rd and I begin IST on the 8th, I’ve received the pre-IST E-learning instructions and In which it states I will have to complete the remaining 5 days of E-Learning, Concurrent with classroom based learning and compelte all E learning by the friday of week 1 To be assessed on the subject. Has anyone also had this expirnence and got tips on how to manage workload to maintain high levels of information retention when work flow will seem monotonous.