• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

StevenG67

So I now have the email through for my offer is a conditional permanent Grade 2 Trainee Signaller in the Perth area. It outlines that area I am being hired into is only for training purposes.

The email goes on to state that Signaller School will start January in Perth.

Can anyone confirm that there is a Signalling School in Perth as I have only seen school mentioned in Scotland as being at Shettleston and Larbert.
I'm the same here, mate. There is indeed a school in Perth, there's a few of us on here that are attending, I think.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave112

I have seen the Three Bridges Grade 6,7 and 9 vacancies are back up again. It was only few months ago these jobs were advertised. Wondering why they are available again so quickly?
yes I've noticed that seems evry few months they pop up with vacancies.

VV1234

Completed my online psychometric tests for Grade 2 trainee signaller yesterday. Did great on them all apart from the one where you do one task then have to remember the sequence the dots are shaded. Does anyone know do you have to pass each individual part of the tests or could good scores on all other parts of the test mean you pass overall?

Frothy_B

Hey, Folks.

You all have probably seen this type of question asked a lot, but I'm looking for answers based on my particular situation. I'd appreciate any help at all here.

I've been offered a Grade 2 Signaller Trainee Post in Scotland. I have sent all necessary documents away and have passed my medical. I start my training (the 10/12 week course) in January at the Perth Railway Station.

I am currently a librarian and it is a great job, but there aren't many opportunities to 'climb the ladder'. Are there many opportunities to do this in Network Rail? Also, how difficult is the job itself? The system does look rather complicated and I am aware that the training can be pretty tough.

Any other insights to the role are also welcome (shifts, day-to-day, etc), if any of you have the time.

Many thanks,

Steven.
I can't say for every area or how easy it is to do, I can only talk from my own experience. It was impressed apon us quite early how many avenues there are for progression within Network Rail, although it will very much depend on what you are looking for.

I would hazard a guess though that you will not be a Grade 2 after passing the course. Positions are offered now, as I understand it, as a Grade 2 trainee position within a geographical area. During training you will then apply for the actual positions within that geographical area, which could be any Grade depending on the boxes and what positions they require filling.

As for progression beyond that, if you're after the most money then I would assume the highest grade jobs in Scotland would be in Glasgow. More locally if a higher grade box isn't your thing then quite a few Signallers seem to move on to being a Mobile Operations Manager, or a LOM beyond that. The Operations side of NWR very much seems to be your Oyster if you have the desire to progress, however I'm sure many of the more experienced heads in this thread will say that it's not necessarily as simple as it is made out to be.

Redmitch

Hi

First time posting but have been reading a lot on here and it's a great find! I have a virtual interview on Tuesday for Grade 2 Trainee Signaller - Tayside, Cupar & Leuchars which I am thrilled about. I have been reading more in-depth about the role and Network Rail itself. Just wondering if anyone has had interview recently and what I can expect. I am thinking of scenarios in my current job (Nurse) they will ask using STARR method, I am thinking that they will be looking for what I know about the role and why I want it? Also I am thinking that their values and vision will come up, a lot of focus on safety? Any tips or info appreciated. Thanks

Hi guys had my medical on the 18th November the optima health told me i had passed the medical only problem was that i’m abit underweight so hopefully that doesn’t cause a problem, how long after the medical can we expect network rail to get back to us. Thank you.
I had my medical on Tuesday 14th and I'm still waiting.

CoachB

Hi all

I have been placed on the reserve list twice and today out of the blue I received a call offering me a motivational fit interview for a trainee signaler role in my region.

I'm assuming the motivational fit interview will be similar if not the same as the standard signaler interview?

Royal351

I have seen the Three Bridges Grade 6,7 and 9 vacancies are back up again. It was only few months ago these jobs were advertised. Wondering why they are available again so quickly?
Mainly cause they're been absolutely horrible at back filing roles. There are loads of vacancies at TBROC. Mainly on the grade 6 panel (ESWS) and Streatham (G7) link (which a new panel is joining in February)

Andy9gc

Hi all

I have been placed on the reserve list twice and today out of the blue I received a call offering me a motivational fit interview for a trainee signaler role in my region.

I'm assuming the motivational fit interview will be similar if not the same as the standard signaler interview?

Hi, I was in a similar situation. I was put on a reserve list and then invited to a motivational fit interview later on. It was different to the 1st interview and took about 20-30mins. From what I remember it did not include any competency based questions.

vinoboxer

Anyone done a track circuit block conversion course recently?

Feel like the theory is actually quite tricky to remember and understand compared to some of IST!!

TCB panel is a lot easier though...

Daniel Hassan

Mainly cause they're been absolutely horrible at back filing roles. There are loads of vacancies at TBROC. Mainly on the grade 6 panel (ESWS) and Streatham (G7) link (which a new panel is joining in February)

What they just take forever recruiting? Madness

NXFlyer

Hi all

I had one of these a couple of months ago. I found it was quite laid back, mostly comprised of "tell me a time where..." questions, along with you acknowledging the training requirements (IST), where the role is etc. and is a good chance to ask any questions.

Royal351

What they just take forever recruiting? Madness
The main problem is IST spaces. You can only have a max of 10 on a course and there's a shortage of Trainers that can teach IST.
So although the interview process can be longer. Makes no difference if you hire someone in September or October if they cant go to IST till January

cgageanu88

Hi,
I just had an e-mail from the recruiter congratulation me for being successful for the role that I applied(Grade 4 Relief at Marston Vale SCC), but in the e-mail they say, intention to offer. I supplied what they requested Thursday 30th November, but haven't heard back anything.
When should I expect an answer or contact from the onboarding team with the actual offer and all the other details?

Thanks in advance

GMTUK

Hi all

I am led to a believe it’s more a quick chat as opposed to anything formal just making sure your still interested and to discuss options.

cgageanu88

I got the phone call too on Friday afternoon and was given soo much information and don’t think I took it all in! Due to being out in a noisy area and the excitement! I was offered Willesden area but was told it was going to be on a grade 2 money for at least a year! Which is not how I understood the advert or the questions I asked at the end of the interview! What were you guys told if you don’t mind me asking?
Sean, did you had your interview on the 17th November in Milton Keynes??

CoachB

Thanks for all your replies, does sound like it will be more casual than the main interviews I've previously attended.

Will have a look over the stuff and feedback from my last interview to be safe.

Shunkadunk

Does anyone know what the shift pattern is at Barnhill signal box outside Perth in Scotland? Is it 12 hour shifts or 8 hour?

Dread Pirate

Hi,
I just had an e-mail from the recruiter congratulation me for being successful for the role that I applied(Grade 4 Relief at Marston Vale SCC), but in the e-mail they say, intention to offer. I supplied what they requested Thursday 30th November, but haven't heard back anything.
When should I expect an answer or contact from the onboarding team with the actual offer and all the other details?

Thanks in advance
Hi mate. You’ll get a call from occupational health arranging your medical and wait for dbs check to come back.

RailwayRookie

A Bit of a long shot but would anyone that has recently finished an AB IST course be able to share a rough course outline of what topics were covered each week? Even better if there's a TCB conversation on the end.

I'd like a little idea what to expect going in to mine. Feel free to private message if it's a lot of information.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
A Bit of a long shot but would anyone that has recently finished an AB IST course be able to share a rough course outline of what topics were covered each week? Even better if there's a TCB conversation on the end.

I'd like a little idea what to expect going in to mine. Feel free to private message if it's a lot of information.

You don't need to know what the course outline is, and to be honest it is more likely to confuse you if you did.
The course is designed to teach someone "off the streets" to become a first rate signaller.
The only thing I would suggest you learn is the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Frothy_B

Should I just do the DBS check myself now? Or wait for them to contact me?
What email have you received so far and what information have you had to give so far?

Have you received a phone call offering you the job? I received a phonecall followed by an email with my official offer, then the day after I received all my onboarding documents that you need to work through, including the DBS check, there will be link.

If you've already had that email and you've worked through the offer and acceptance pack, then it's just the medical. I can't help with that as my medical was with Optima but I belive it's all done by Network Rail now so I'm unsure as to how the appointments will work.

cgageanu88

What email have you received so far and what information have you had to give so far?

Have you received a phone call offering you the job? I received a phonecall followed by an email with my official offer, then the day after I received all my onboarding documents that you need to work through, including the DBS check, there will be link.

If you've already had that email and you've worked through the offer and acceptance pack, then it's just the medical. I can't help with that as my medical was with Optima but I belive it's all done by Network Rail now so I'm unsure as to how the appointments will work.
I only had a Intention to Offer email. The offical is yet to come. They only asked for my employment capture history and right to work(i.e. NI)