• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Is there any assurances though they won't have you out the door even though common sense would suggest it's not smart business wasting money training you.
Could it even affect the potential quality of the pool of candidates if there's no assigned box on intake. People with families and mortgages may have to think twice about giving up a current role? Interesting...
Doesn’t seem to have affected intake as they’ve been doing it since the end of 2019. Anyone in the thread knows, signalling is highly competitive so they still have enough candidates.

But there are no assurances, no, if you fail to secure a permanent place then they can and will let you leave - similarly it gives them the option to let people leave who don’t workout. But if you are competent and just purely unlucky in recruitment they will look to extend the contract.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheney B50

I’m afraid I don’t work in that area but Shrewsbury has 4 signal boxes in the city limits alone, and several within the surrounding area are managed from there. Would you have any more specific info in re of which box?
Shrewsbury Severn bridge

Anyone done a track circuit block conversion course recently?

Feel like the theory is actually quite tricky to remember and understand compared to some of IST!!

TCB panel is a lot easier though...
How did you find the written test? I’m on the second week now and agree the theory is worse that the AB IST.

DMckduck97

Doesn’t seem to have affected intake as they’ve been doing it since the end of 2019. Anyone in the thread knows, signalling is highly competitive so they still have enough candidates.

But there are no assurances, no, if you fail to secure a permanent place then they can and will let you leave - similarly it gives them the option to let people leave who don’t workout. But if you are competent and just purely unlucky in recruitment they will look to extend the contract.
A very interesting model indeed, considering with ROCs now being a hub for a lot of signalling. How many chances are they going to give you if in example the only roc in your area is a G7/G9 and only comes up once maybe twice a year at best.

Unless this only applies to a specific grade or grades of course.

Daniel Hassan

Unless things have changed they're only valid for 6 months from when you last done them.

i passed them as well about 3 months ago. I didn’t make the interview cut. A position come up for the same role recently which I applied for. Will my previous passed assessments be used on my new application?

NXFlyer

i passed them as well about 3 months ago. I didn’t make the interview cut. A position come up for the same role recently which I applied for. Will my previous passed assessments be used on my new application?
They should be used, yes, if they're done within 6 months.

Feels like pessimism for pessimisms sake!

I don’t know the official figures but certainly of the last 3 years around my area, I know of no signallers who joined on a contingent fixed term and then left because they were unable to find work. Most (40+) are now signallers, some work elsewhere in the company, and a few left of their own accord.

NR are recruiting contingents into areas they know of vacancies upcoming, either through movement or retirements. To be honest most ROCs are constantly advertising vacancies as people move up the grades or sideways from high grades to other roles, rather than small boxes with signallers who stay for life, so it’s possibly better to live near just one ROC than many smaller boxes!

Ollie7

You didn’t get an interview this time. But they’ll keep your details on file for the next time a job comes available. Keep your eye out though and apply for it again.
I’m in the same boat I recently had an interview in person and I got a email saying I wasn’t successful, when can I apply again as I’m not sure if I apply to another role now they will even bother

dave112

I’m in the same boat I recently had an interview in person and I got a email saying I wasn’t successful, when can I apply again as I’m not sure if I apply to another role now they will even bother
you can apply to other roles straight away there is no restriction on it hopefully they gave you good feedback to go into your next application.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Does anybody on here work at Shrewsbury signal box or has knowledge of it? And doesn’t mind having a chat. Thanks in advance

Apologies, see you meant Severn Bridge Junction.
12 hour shifts, mostly double manned as it a big frame and very busy.

What happens then if no vacancies come up during IST? I imagine they know positions are coming up - they wouldn't want signallers sitting around with no box.
I'm currently a "T-Post" Signaller, having very recently passed IST.

In practice they will try and get you signed off on as many boxes on your local line as they can. Then as roles open up you can apply accordingly. Your LOM will know where vacancies should pop up, and should be able to give you a rough time-frame of how long you will be waiting. As fate would have it, vacancies now appear sparse on my line so my LOM has encouraged me to go out and visit other boxes on other lines which have vacancies as well.

Whilst waiting for a vacancy to come up, you can work independently providing you've been signed off in the box and have passed your rulings. A MOM I spoke to put it across quite cynically as being relief on the cheap. That said as you are not typically rostered you are offered much greater flexibility on when you work.

In reality though, no one should be without a box for a considerable period. It is in everyone's interests to get you a full-time role as a resident or relief.

Joosh

Well after being rejected for the 5th time I have decided to wave the white flag. Despite passing all assessments and even working for network rail currently and taking feedback from previous applications and ensuring I include it in my recent applications I have had nothing but rejections yet again. Maybe it’s a sign to move on from the railway and NR as a whole!

gator op

Well after being rejected for the 5th time I have decided to wave the white flag. Despite passing all assessments and even working for network rail currently and taking feedback from previous applications and ensuring I include it in my recent applications I have had nothing but rejections yet again. Maybe it’s a sign to move on from the railway and NR as a whole!

Put the white flag away!

Do not give up. I applied over 10 times before I got into NR as a planner.

I done over loads of applications internally for band 4 management roles and signaller roles. Nailed the interviews and still didn't get the roles. A lot of the roles already have a name on them or a person in mind......

Getting into Signalling is tough but you have an advantage over external candidates as your already in the business and you get first pick of the roles when applying internally.

Your post summed up exactly how I was feeling a year ago. I looked at many different companies and had interviews and job offers but none offer what Network Rail can in terms of opportunity, job security and benefits etc.

Now got a grade 2 role and have been doing a crossing keeper job since July. IST starts next month in Derby.

Keep at it as your time will come. Some will get in on there 1st try and some people it will take years.

Chin up. You got this :)

Kraken

Another 10 applications here mate, keep going with it. I eventually got the job by reapplying for a post I originally got rejected for without an interview. I used 99% the same application, got an interview and got the job so there’s definitely a large element of chance to it. As gator op says above, half the time there is a name already attached to the job. The other half the time there’s that many applicants that you’re just relying on luck to get your application noticed. Throw enough excrement at that wall and eventually some of it will stick!

ajs101

I have recently been offered a role in Ashford. Just going through the onboarding process at the moment.
That's great news, congratulations, it took the recruitment team a while but I've just had my start date confirmed and been given my employee number. No idea where the IST will be yet though.

dave112

does anyone know if you can use your test results from NR with the outsource company they look exactly the same and my scores are in date.

Napier

Is there any assurances though they won't have you out the door even though common sense would suggest it's not smart business wasting money training you.
Could it even affect the potential quality of the pool of candidates if there's no assigned box on intake. People with families and mortgages may have to think twice about giving up a current role? Interesting...
Yes agree with you, I certainly wouldn’t gamble on getting a job out of a pool of candidates, the uncertainty for even getting through the block or as it’s called now IST was enough for me, NR trying to cover as many rear ends as possible as cheap as possible, once over you trained on the grade below your substantive box.

Now you are a grade 1 until you get a box, NT isn’t all peaches and cream as some newbies make it out to be.