• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

HamSandwich

I think it’s an amazing job. I work on my tod in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature. I only see my boss about once a month and when I do he mostly sorts my requests and gripes out. Every shift I go home and forget about trains and work until it’s time for the next shift, no fretting about the project that I need to send out by the end of the week. I get 8 days off in a row every four weeks and, once things like overtime and holiday pay supplement is factored in, the pay is extraordinary for an entry level job with no qualifications required. I’ve never read so many books or drunk so many cups of tea as I have in the last 3 years.

Sure it’s not all roses - I do sometimes crave somebody to chat rubbish to in the office and those 12hr nights can get punishing - but overall this is by far my favourite job I’ve ever had. I’m sure there are jobs out there in signalling I wouldn’t like (I don’t particularly fancy working in a ROC at the moment) but the lifestyle in single-manned AB boxes suits me to a T.

Absolutely this. Some people (like me) love the job, and those that don't should probably move on to find something that they enjoy and let someone else enjoy the job instead. Life's too short to spend it being miserable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Napier

Will do. Is the massive staff turner applicable to the signaller role?

*turnover*
Yes in certain areas especially the North East in some boxes especially.

I think it’s an amazing job. I work on my tod in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature. I only see my boss about once a month and when I do he mostly sorts my requests and gripes out. Every shift I go home and forget about trains and work until it’s time for the next shift, no fretting about the project that I need to send out by the end of the week. I get 8 days off in a row every four weeks and, once things like overtime and holiday pay supplement is factored in, the pay is extraordinary for an entry level job with no qualifications required. I’ve never read so many books or drunk so many cups of tea as I have in the last 3 years.

Sure it’s not all roses - I do sometimes crave somebody to chat rubbish to in the office and those 12hr nights can get punishing - but overall this is by far my favourite job I’ve ever had. I’m sure there are jobs out there in signalling I wouldn’t like (I don’t particularly fancy working in a ROC at the moment) but the lifestyle in single-manned AB boxes suits me to a T.
What grade are you ?

what is your traffic flow ?

nom de guerre

Care to elaborate on the guys that passed IST but were removed from the job? Are we talking disciplinary stuff or something else?

Never heard of a newbie being “removed” for disciplinary reasons. That tends to come later :lol:

The handful I’ve known/known of have all been “removed” - or threatened with ‘removal’ - because, unfortunately, they struggled with fundamental parts of the job.

It doesn’t always end badly. One of my IST classmates couldn’t pass out at their initial G9 box, nor the G4 they were then transferred to. But they eventually became a MOM (which was always their railway endgame) and are still doing it today.

A newbie on my current area has been restricted to Non Safety Critical duties for several weeks after being involved in an unusually high number of incidents during a short period. Their theoretical knowledge is good but unfortunately they seem to lack the sense of danger needed when dealing with faults, failures and degraded working. Jury’s still out…

Royal351

See what crazy is I love working in my ROC, I like being able to have a conversation with the other signallers on my link and in the building. I think being in a single box would be worse! I'm not in any way an extrovert. I do enjoy sitting down and just shutting off the world and concentrating on my panel but the no social side of it would drive me insane!

Kraken

Yes in certain areas especially the North East in some boxes especially.

What grade are you ?

what is your traffic flow ?

Grade 3 boxes, between 2-6 trains an hour usually. I wasn’t trying to dismiss your opinion on the job by the way, just giving my 2p’s worth.

See what crazy is I love working in my ROC, I like being able to have a conversation with the other signallers on my link and in the building. I think being in a single box would be worse! I'm not in any way an extrovert. I do enjoy sitting down and just shutting off the world and concentrating on my panel but the no social side of it would drive me insane!

I undoubtedly miss having colleagues to take the piss out of and generally chat rubbish with I must say. I’d never say never with working the higher grades, just currently I don’t fancy it.

Last edited:

The Puddock

A newbie on my current area has been restricted to Non Safety Critical duties for several weeks after being involved in an unusually high number of incidents during a short period. Their theoretical knowledge is good but unfortunately they seem to lack the sense of danger needed when dealing with faults, failures and degraded working. Jury’s still out…
I'm now wondering if I know you... or whether there are two of them out there o_O

Napier

Grade 3 boxes, between 2-6 trains an hour usually. I wasn’t trying to dismiss your opinion on the job by the way, just giving my 2p’s worth.

I undoubtedly miss having colleagues to take the piss out of and generally chat rubbish with I must say. I’d never say never with working the higher grades, just currently I don’t fancy it.
I am Grade 3 and have between 70 and 80 movements a day depending on what freight they run, that coupled with some high level Xing usage can make having a PNB difficult nevermind a meal break, maybe that's why I appear a bit, bitter and twisted.

High Dyke

Established Member
I've got a colleague in a similar situation. We've also had others in the last few years. Some have gone for higher grade jobs, but couldn't cope with it. A disciplinary hearing is a bit of a last resort. Prior to that the signaller concerned will have been put on a development action plan by their line manager. This will see if the individual can improve their knowledge, understanding and application of the rules in those circumstances.

Talking of IST. My course twenty years ago had a candidate sacked about halfway through. He was dismissed for misconduct, following an incident in the hotel he was staying in. That said, he was struggling with the course anyway. I've also had successfully represented candidates in disciplinary hearings whilst on IST.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
When I did my course 11 years ago at Leeds, the preceeding course had a member dismissed immediately after failing an alcohol test one morning.
And my own course had a lady fail in week 6 who was sent home, and I understood later from a colleague in the same area, never took up the option to repeat the whole course.

GrizzlyAdams

Anyone get an email saying they would hear about their interview result after the 11th of December and still waiting ?
Hi.
I have had the same. I emailed them before Christmas and got the reply on the 22nd:

"Thank you for getting in touch - Applications are being assessed and shortlisted at the moment - Apologies for the delay.

The team are hoping to issue an update soon.

Thank you for your patience"

So, I guess we just have to keep waiting . It'll be 10 weeks tomorrow since my interview.

Owens90

Hi.
I have had the same. I emailed them before Christmas and got the reply on the 22nd:

"Thank you for getting in touch - Applications are being assessed and shortlisted at the moment - Apologies for the delay.

The team are hoping to issue an update soon.

Thank you for your patience"

So, I guess we just have to keep waiting . It'll be 10 weeks tomorrow since my interview.
I think our interviews landed on the same day. Hopefully we will hear soon

railrema

Hi all, thanks for the info people before me have provided. Really helpful in getting through the initial stages. I've been offered a grade 2 role at Kirkham Abbey today. If anyone has any info, I'll be grateful!

Hi Jamolot, well done on getting the role. I'm in the final stages of applying for a grade 2 signalling position at Kirkham Abbey. Could you tell me what the shift pattern for the Kirkham Abbey box is please? Thanks!

Last edited:

Royal351

Can anyone tell me if I can find out the signal boxes that are operational in East Kent and East Sussex?
East Sussex is controlled from TBROC (Lewes-Seaford/Eastbourne/Bexhill)

Then heading along the south coast, you have Bo-Peep Junction near Bexhill. Hastings, Rye Appledore and then Ashford

On the 1066 line you have Robertsbridge, Frant(?) and Tonbridge I believe

Sunset route

Established Member

Then heading along the south coast, you have Bo-Peep Junction near Bexhill. Hastings, Rye Appledore and then Ashford

Appledore is controlled be Ashford IECC and there is no signalbox at Frant, and Bo-Peep is nearer Hastings than Bexhill, all the rest is correct. One oddity is that Tonbridge no longer controls Tonbridge itself as that was taken over by Ashford IECC in the 90s

ajs101

That's really useful info, thanks folks. I have been told I am based at Ashford until I've passed IST and then I'll be popped into a signal box 60 minutes from where I'm living. Which for me is an area that covers most of the south east.

Last edited:

Royal351

Appledore is controlled be Ashford IECC and there is no signalbox at Frant, and Bo-Peep is nearer Hastings than Bexhill, all the rest is correct. One oddity is that Tonbridge no longer controls Tonbridge itself as that was taken over by Ashford IECC in the 90s
Bo-Peep fringes with me and my last station is Bexhill

nom de guerre

The other Kentish boxes:

Aylesford
Canterbury West
Chartham (crossing box)
Cuxton
CWACC (located near Cant W)
Deal
East Farleigh
EKSC (Gillingham)
Folkestone East
Grain (crossing box)
Maidstone East
Maidstone West
Minster
Sandwich
Sturry

Axepou84

Hello, is anyone else waiting on a response in regard's to the ROC Three Bridges? Job application closed 3 weeks ago and still nothing received on if I have been offered a interview or any feedback. Do they normally take this long to let people know and move the applications forward?

dave112

Hello, is anyone else waiting on a response in regard's to the ROC Three Bridges? Job application closed 3 weeks ago and still nothing received on if I have been offered a interview or any feedback. Do they normally take this long to let people know and move the applications forward?
pretty much yes they are a bit slow at responding and especially with Xmas and people being off expect longer. There is nothing wrong with a polite email asking for an update.

superman78

Hello i have a interview at the end of the month for a signaller i was just wondering what to wear as its that long since i have a had a interveiw of any kind thanks in advance for the help

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hello i have a interview at the end of the month for a signaller i was just wondering what to wear as its that long since i have a had a interveiw of any kind thanks in advance for the help

I would suggest looking smart and presentable as you would for any other professional interview, not turning up in jeans and T-shirt. Not necessarily a suit but probably a shirt, trousers and shoes would suffice. I assume you'd want to make a good impression.

Axepou84

pretty much yes they are a bit slow at responding and especially with Xmas and people being off expect longer. There is nothing wrong with a polite email asking for an update.
Thank you for the reply. I did send an email beginning of the week to the recruitment team and as yet I've heard nothing. Just this feeling of being in limbo is frustrating, do I apply for other jobs etc? Just would like to know were i stand.