• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Nikxy

I’m considering applying for trainee driver post.

I’m currently a nhs nurse and looking for a new challenge.

I wonder though due to a fall last year I’m taking naproxen for a trapped nerve in my neck will this affect me applying for the role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I’m considering applying for trainee driver post.

I’m currently a nhs nurse and looking for a new challenge.

I wonder though due to a fall last year I’m taking naproxen for a trapped nerve in my neck will this affect me applying for the role.

It wouldn't necessarily affect your application however if you were successful at the application, sifting, assessment and interview stage your job offer would be provision on a medical. Unfortunately this tends to be one of the final stages of the process.

Last edited:

JammyBluebird

Looking for advice on how long feedback takes for medical assessments.

I have a start date subject to medical with Northern Rail, I'm approaching what will be the required notice period with my current employer so am getting a little edgy about timings.

Efini92

Established Member
Looking for advice on how long feedback takes for medical assessments.

I have a start date subject to medical with Northern Rail, I'm approaching what will be the required notice period with my current employer so am getting a little edgy about timings.
Apart from the drugs test (which you will know the answer to) you will know on the day.

JammyBluebird

Apart from the drugs test (which you will know the answer to) you will know on the day.
Thanks for the reply.

Did my medical yesterday, the staff at the medical centre said nothing to me before I left. I guess I'll just have to sit and wait for the final report after the lab results come back.

Efini92

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Did my medical yesterday, the staff at the medical centre said nothing to me before I left. I guess I'll just have to sit and wait for the final report after the lab results come back.
You’ll be fine mate. Anything that flagged up with hearing/eyesight/ecg/blood pressure/diabetes tests would’ve been flagged up and discussed with you.
They don’t normally take long to get back to you after the medical.

TK.

Good afternoon all,

Newbie here..just looking for advice please.

I am seriously considering applying for the trainee Train Driver role when applications open. Currently a Police officer of 15yrs.

Could someone list the app process please. I.e. Upon the recruitment window opening, is there an application form to complete and requirement to submit a CV alongside?

Also, if anyone has any insight to shift pattern at Manchester , for example a Set earlies/afternoon/nights pattean and/or is there set Rest Days each week?

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbr47

Greetings to all.

New forum member, currently a very disillusioned airline pilot, I'd be extremely grateful if there are any Train Crew Managers, Drivers, (current and former) preferably with knowledge of Companies with bases in the North (Leeds, Hull, York etc) who could PM me. I'll explain more then.

Thank you in advance.
Apply for northern I mean no disrespect but they’ll take almost anyone as long as you pass the test! And I strongly advise not to work for worst group

FManc

Good afternoon all,

Newbie here..just looking for advice please.

I am seriously considering applying for the trainee Train Driver role when applications open. Currently a Police officer of 15yrs.

Could someone list the app process please. I.e. Upon the recruitment window opening, is there an application form to complete and requirement to submit a CV alongside?

Also, if anyone has any insight to shift pattern at Manchester , for example a Set earlies/afternoon/nights pattean and/or is there set Rest Days each week?

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated

It’s a 5 day week (well 6 if you work your Sundays which are committed unless you find cover). There’s a week of RDs every 5th week but apart from that there’s no set RD pattern for your weekly RD. You tend to alternate between earlies and lates week by week and there’s not much night work. You can start as early as 4am, finish as late as 1am.

Last edited by a moderator:

TK.

It’s a 5 day week (well 6 if you work your Sundays which are committed unless you find cover). There’s a week of RDs every 5th week but apart from that there’s no set RD pattern for your weekly RD. You tend to alternate between earlies and lates week by week and there’s not much night work. You can start as early as 4am, finish as late as 1am.

That's amazing!! Thanks so murch for your

Amazing thanks! Thank you so much for your response! Is it possible to PM you?

pmc88

Hi, Im new to the group lots of great information! So thankful for all the helpful people on here.

I tried to find if its already been mentioned so my apologies if its repetatively asked.

I am planning to apply for trainee train driver and doing my research into the process.

However before I dive in spending money on practice testing software etc.

Can anyone explain the initial first step once I apply on the website?

Is it just a standard application form, my info, cv and a few job specific questions. Or will there be testing straight away to do online.

I ask because I could buy all this software and spend weeks practicing and not even pass the initial cv check.

What is involved at the very first step please? Even better if anyone can share tips what they look for at stage 1

Thank you for any advice you are able to share.

AG1994

Most companies are different on first steps. Some want you to complete tests the moment you apply, some invite you later on for online tests and some have no online tests.

If I were you I’d hold off buying software for testing until you’re fairly certain you’ll be invited to actually sit the psychometrics. You need to pass the sift to get to that stage (company selecting who to pick progresses) and this stage is notoriously hard to get past as you need both luck and a good application. You could be 1 of 5,000 applications at that stage, and they may only have 10 jobs available.

What they look for at the start? You to be in a position where you can already demonstrate the qualities they want in a driver. They love applications from people in safety critical roles (emergency services, military, medicine) to give you an idea of the types they like. So your application needs to show that your background is already heavily within dangerous working environments, process driven environments and regulated environments.

If you’re invited to psychometric testing you’re given enough notice to be able to practise (I think 7 days?) and that should be ample if you buy the software - remember, many, many, many buy the software and still fail thought. The tests are designed to test your core ability as a human and are quite hard to fool with fake skill potentially gained from practise material - basically, you either have it or you don’t, most don’t.

william.martin

On Moderation
I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread however to save me looking through 2,476 posts would anybody who is an actual train driver be able to answer a few questions;

1) Is train driving generally a good job?
2) Is the amount of hours you do per week large or small?
3) How long does it take to get from knowing nothing to being a fully trained driver?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Kind regards william.martin.

skyhigh

Established Member
1) Is train driving generally a good job?
Yes, if you have the right personality.
2) Is the amount of hours you do per week large or small?
Depends what you mean by large or small. For us it averages out as 37 hours per week but some weeks are longer than that and others less.
3) How long does it take to get from knowing nothing to being a fully trained driver?
Generally >12 months.

william.martin

On Moderation
Yes, if you have the right personality.

Depends what you mean by large or small. For us it averages out as 37 hours per week but some weeks are longer than that and others less.

Generally >12 months.
Thanks for the reply, it's always been a dream job, maybe one day :)

pmc88

Most companies are different on first steps. Some want you to complete tests the moment you apply, some invite you later on for online tests and some have no online tests.

If I were you I’d hold off buying software for testing until you’re fairly certain you’ll be invited to actually sit the psychometrics. You need to pass the sift to get to that stage (company selecting who to pick progresses) and this stage is notoriously hard to get past as you need both luck and a good application. You could be 1 of 5,000 applications at that stage, and they may only have 10 jobs available.

What they look for at the start? You to be in a position where you can already demonstrate the qualities they want in a driver. They love applications from people in safety critical roles (emergency services, military, medicine) to give you an idea of the types they like. So your application needs to show that your background is already heavily within dangerous working environments, process driven environments and regulated environments.

If you’re invited to psychometric testing you’re given enough notice to be able to practise (I think 7 days?) and that should be ample if you buy the software - remember, many, many, many buy the software and still fail thought. The tests are designed to test your core ability as a human and are quite hard to fool with fake skill potentially gained from practise material - basically, you either have it or you don’t, most don’t.
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I am an engineer by trade. I am going to rewrite my normal cv to focus more on the safety, leadership and critical thinking, decision making skills I have from my career as a senior engineer. Hopefully that will get me noticed. I have been doing free bourdon tests and similar to see how I hold up. Plus I find it fun lol. Fingers crossed.

J4YWG

On Moderation
Hi there newbie here, so as hairdresser my only job at the moment and new to the place itself (london, UK) what would be the possibilities do I have to being call from an interview
Yeah some will say " Unless you aplied you will never know "
but still I preffer some professional opinion so to speak

Raikkonen7

Hi there newbie here, so as hairdresser my only job at the moment and new to the place itself (london, UK) what would be the possibilities do I have to being call from an interview
Yeah some will say " Unless you aplied you will never know "
but still I preffer some professional opinion so to speak
Well, you’re right, you have to apply in the first place to determine that.

Do a good application and CV and relate everything to why you want to be a Train Driver and what attributes make you suitable for the role.

Don’t be be disheartened if you get knocked back by companies as it’s very a competitive process. It can take several years to even get through to assessments/ interview- equally you can get accepted on your first attempt.

Best advice is to look on this forum. Every possible question you have regarding the process will have been answered at some point on here.

J4YWG

On Moderation
Well, you’re right, you have to apply in the first place to determine that.

Do a good application and CV and relate everything to why you want to be a Train Driver and what attributes make you suitable for the role.

Don’t be be disheartened if you get knocked back by companies as it’s very a competitive process. It can take several years to even get through to assessments/ interview- equally you can get accepted on your first attempt.

Best advice is to look on this forum. Every possible question you have regarding the process will have been answered at some point on here.
Well I aware that the london is one of top zones or the zone who gets more requests for the job! I will try to get an application but with no expectation mean while I will try to get more experience from others jobs since the application if failed you need to wait 6 months right ?

Sam Sam

Hi all, I’m new to the forum however I have been keeping a very close eye on it throughout my application for a trainee driver at Northern. I’m an aircraft engineer in the RAF, so this is a complete career change for me. There is some amazing advice on here so thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences, as it has helped me out quite a lot.
After my assessment I received an email confirming I have passed the assessment and interview, and have been put into the talent pool awaiting a start date, with a 9 month deadline to get on a course.
Whilst combing the different conversations on this website, I haven’t come across many (hardly any actually) posts saying they have had their applications terminated due to timing out. Has anyone got any more insight into the talent pool system for Northern, and the likely hood of ‘timing out’?

skyhigh

Established Member
Has anyone got any more insight into the talent pool system for Northern, and the likely hood of ‘timing out’?
It happened to me, but Covid played a part in that. Hopefully it won't happen for you but unfortunately a job isn't guaranteed until you get the contract through.

Canonite

Hi all, I’m new to the forum however I have been keeping a very close eye on it throughout my application for a trainee driver at Northern. I’m an aircraft engineer in the RAF, so this is a complete career change for me. There is some amazing advice on here so thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences, as it has helped me out quite a lot.
After my assessment I received an email confirming I have passed the assessment and interview, and have been put into the talent pool awaiting a start date, with a 9 month deadline to get on a course.
Whilst combing the different conversations on this website, I haven’t come across many (hardly any actually) posts saying they have had their applications terminated due to timing out. Has anyone got any more insight into the talent pool system for Northern, and the likely hood of ‘timing out’?

Given the 2023 campaign I don’t think you have much to worry about.

JammyBluebird

You’ll be fine mate. Anything that flagged up with hearing/eyesight/ecg/blood pressure/diabetes tests would’ve been flagged up and discussed with you.
They don’t normally take long to get back to you after the medical.
All came back good 10 days following medical. Received my formal offer for starting training in a few months.

Can't wait to get going!

pmc88

Given the 2023 campaign I don’t think you have much to worry about.
Hi, I noticed it says Northern are only paying drivers £54k once qualifed but I seen Avanti offering as high as 70k nearly. Do you know from experience over the years on this forum is there a massive pay difference across TOC.

I'm quite new to the forum so a lot of this information is new to me.

Thanks

dk1

Veteran Member
I don’t think headline salaries for the likes of Avanti or LNER make much difference if you don’t want to move away & are happy where you live. I have never had any desire to upsticks from Norwich with GA who are also lower down the scale. Often it’s only a few grand between many companies so it’s not a big deal.