• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Kit.Frank

Good to hear ComUtoR!

Yes, tommo1097, I've passed the DMI and assessment centre with Northern for the Darlington depot. I'm now an 'on hold' candidate, hopefully getting assigned to a course in the near future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tommo1097

Good to hear ComUtoR!

Yes, tommo1097, I've passed the DMI and assessment centre with Northern for the Darlington depot. I'm now an 'on hold' candidate, hopefully getting assigned to a course in the near future.

Excellent well done mate!
Any DMI help or assistance mate? Anything i should definetly know or say etc?

Any help greatly appreciated!?

Tom

Kylie88

Good to hear ComUtoR!

Oooh well done!!! I'm getting a bit worried over the assessment day now, fingers crossed it'll go OK.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tattoo's amongst the Driving grade are quite popular. From very heavily tattooed to very subtle. I have never known a Driver to be asked to cover up. I have seen plenty with tattoos down the neck but nothing on the face.

I know many DM's that have Tattoo's and they do the interviews <D

Relief! I don't have anything on my face or neck (well part from a little flower on each earlobe but noone ever notices them!) I'll still cover up for the assessment day it's just that I have the beginnings of a sleeve and it can peek out of my shirt sometimes :roll:

WCMLaddict

No, as long as none of them are offensive, you won't be required to cover any tattoos.

Next time I better check the last page of the thread before I reply. :roll:

Last edited:

MUS7724581

Hey guys, I want to know where I can download driver test material, as in practice test software for Apple Mac, pulling my hair out here cause I can't find any online..... PLEASE HELP!

Waddins1

Hi All,
Very informative thread! Could anyone advise on the best book I can buy for extra preparation for an assessment centre I have coming up soon for Northern?
Worked through the practice material they have sent and read through this thread but want some extra practice/reading!
Thanks

Kylie88

I passed my assessment today!!! :D:D:D

Advice to anyone else taking the tests, the practice material that you are sent is enough to prepare you, maybe use the Group Bourdon test on here as well but I found that was enough and was told I had done well.

Just waiting for the medical now...

MUS7724581

i passed my assessment today!!! :d:d:d

advice to anyone else taking the tests, the practice material that you are sent is enough to prepare you, maybe use the group bourdon test on here as well but i found that was enough and was told i had done well.

Just waiting for the medical now...

congrats mate, bet this is an amazing moment for you.

sennaf15

Does that mean you find out on the day if you pass the assessments? I've got mine in 3 weeks for Northern.

Kylie88

Thanks guys! I'm so excited! I found out on the day but there ended up only being me there :)

Waddins1

Congratulations Kylie! Was that for Northern? Got mine next Friday. To confirm, they didn't do the written communication test, but they did the SJE combined with MMI?

Kylie88

Congratulations Kylie! Was that for Northern? Got mine next Friday. To confirm, they didn't do the written communication test, but they did the SJE combined with MMI?

Yes that's right :) They want very detailed answers in the interview so be prepared for that.
Excellent news kylie congratulations! What were all the tests please? Any hints tips or advice for them?

Everything you need is definitely covered in the practice material they send and the tests are listed in there too. That's all I used along with the group bourdon test from this site and I was comfortable doing each test. I'd just say to keep practising, and spend the time you have on your lunch thinking about your interview examples and what you are going to say as they want detailed answers.

Hi, just wanted to stick my head in and and say thanks for the advice you've all provided on the forum. I have passed the 1st stage assessment and my Interview with the managers is next. Then if I manage to impress I hope to get called back for the MMI and health check.

I actually enjoyed the assessment day even if my computer froze halfway through the concentration test meaning I did an extra 15 minutes to everyone else.

I met some really excellent guys on the day and I hope I see them all making it through the selection process.

redron

For anyone who wants to become a train Driver, read the different posts on all topics and be resourceful because all info is on these pages. I joined here some time ago, took what I needed and luckily got on the course. Today was the last day of my ica and I'm now a train Driver. It's all here guys - thanks for the input from all. It's a long road but commitment gets you there.
Once again, thanks for all the input from this forum.
And one small bit of advice - don't pay anything!

Sapper

When i went for my managers interview i asked what i could do to prepare for the assessment day. They advised me to get a 'Bop IT' and practice a lot, they also mentioned the 'How to become' by Mcmunn, surprisingly, as i notice some people advise against it, however, i picked the software and book up quite cheaply and wanted to do everything i could to prepare.
There is also the Bordon on here and the BBC reaction sheep test, http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/,
http://www.playwithyourmind.com/
and the great 'Psych Lab 101' app, which is also very interesting and fun!
But i think the MMI is possibly the main thing to think about, but everyone is different.
Listen carefully to all instructions on the day, relax and don't be afraid to ask questions if you are not sure.
However i will add that i am not yet a train driver, but managed to pass the assessment day! This forum and its contributors were very helpful so i am just trying to give a little back. :D

Tooneyram

Hi all.. new here.. im.a shunter for emt and was wondering if anybody knows of places that do private driving assessment tests.. ive done it twice before through my company.. failed on mech comprehension and then the structured interview but i can take again due to the test changing.. i was told db schenker but arent they closing down... i emailed rail ops who said they no longer do it either so im at bit of a loss.. im based in derby

Andy-mc

Hi all.. new here.. im.a shunter for emt and was wondering if anybody knows of places that do private driving assessment tests.. ive done it twice before through my company.. failed on mech comprehension and then the structured interview but i can take again due to the test changing.. i was told db schenker but arent they closing down... i emailed rail ops who said they no longer do it either so im at bit of a loss.. im based in derby

Best to wait for trainee driver positions to come up as they will provide all the assessments for you. having the assessments probably wouldn't give you much of an advantage over other candidates anyway as companies give equal opportunity to people off the street with no previous railway background

steve1982

Hi everyone I'm hoping for some advice, I had applied for the Trainee Train Driver job in Hull with Northern. I was told that there were people more qualified than me who had applied. But with no feedback I'm unsure as what to do next. I'm currently working shifts so it's hard to even study. I really do want this and I am determined. Should I resist my GCSE's??

Fred Dinenage

Hi everyone I'm hoping for some advice, I had applied for the Trainee Train Driver job in Hull with Northern. I was told that there were people more qualified than me who had applied. But with no feedback I'm unsure as what to do next. I'm currently working shifts so it's hard to even study. I really do want this and I am determined. Should I resist my GCSE's??

Resist? Had applied?

Stop trolling. Or education get. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Wallicio

So you applied and got a knock back at the application phase?
You asked for feedback and were told there were more people qualified than you but you didn't get any feedback?
Is that not feedback?
Who told you after application that there were more people qualified Tha you? The TOC?

andyg83

I'm not really sure how people can be more qualified for a trainee train driver position. There maybe people already in the industry but it doesn't really make any difference. I applied for the trainee train driver position with crossrail and passed all the tests and am now a train driver. On my course there was people that had been on the railway for years as well as people like me who don't even use trains. They may have known more things in the beginning but made no difference in the end. We all passed out at the same time so sounds like a bit of an excuse to me. There isn't anything you can do to make you more qualified so sitting gcses or anything isn't going to make a difference

steve1982

Resist? Had applied?

Stop trolling. Or education get. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Yes I applied and didn't get passed the first stage, saying there was people more qualified you had applied. Obviously I meant resit my GCSE's it was my predictive text that did that.

I don't understand what you mean by stop trolling? I was asking advice.
I would like to know what areas of qualifications are needed more than others.

Didn't realize this forum was for shooting people down when asking advice
So you applied and got a knock back at the application phase?
You asked for feedback and were told there were more people qualified than you but you didn't get any feedback?
Is that not feedback?
Who told you after application that there were more people qualified Tha you? The TOC?

Hi, yes I applied, I was told there were people more qualified than me, due to the high number of applications they receive they couldn't give any feedback at this time. I was just asking for people's advice who has passed on which areas are most important qualifications wise.

Cheers
I'm not really sure how people can be more qualified for a trainee train driver position. There maybe people already in the industry but it doesn't really make any difference. I applied for the trainee train driver position with crossrail and passed all the tests and am now a train driver. On my course there was people that had been on the railway for years as well as people like me who don't even use trains. They may have known more things in the beginning but made no difference in the end. We all passed out at the same time so sounds like a bit of an excuse to me. There isn't anything you can do to make you more qualified so sitting gcses or anything isn't going to make a difference

Thanks this is the kind of advice I'm looking for

Last edited:

tommo1097

My suggestion would be to gain yourself some more qualifications in areas that are likely to correspond with those of the role of a train driver.
Maybe apply again and add those to your application and see what happens.

Kit.Frank

Hi Steve. I'd agree with the others... doubt your GCSE's will count for much when applying. I know many companies like at the least C's or above in Maths, English and Science but not sure this is the case for TOC's. If you didn't get past the application form stage, why not focus on improving other areas of it? Personally, I wrote out around 10 questions I thought I might be asked on an application form and about 200-250-word carefully constructed answers for each. That way I was well prepared when a trainee driver post came up, and I'm sure it helped me get through the sift (it helped at interview, too).

If your GCSE's (for example) are poor, you could highlight other qualifications in your answers. Have you passed any other courses/carried out voluntary work/mentored anyone in your current role etc etc?

387star

On Moderation
This is an interesting female led video on how to become a driver for mtr crossrail

Rather cliched and superflous at times... Apparently women are better at multi tasking than men :lol:

Still a good watch even if you are part of the male species ;)

https://vimeo.com/144967967

Last edited: