• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Grannyjoans

Is there any training and recuitment going on at the moment ?

I've been wondering if it had all stopped due to Covid 19

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ell887

Hi, first post...

I’ve been looking at jobs as a trainee train driver. I’m currently serving in the RAF, so time from applying for a discharge to leaving could be 8-12 months.

Would this leave enough time for resigning on being accepted as a trainee driver, to training commencement.

I have previously done aptitude tests (CBAT) for Weapons Operator which sound very similar to the driver tests. I passed however suffered an injury preventing me from applying for 2 years so never pursued it further.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HTR

I wouldn't risk applying while you're in the doldrums waiting to leave the service. In my experience the recruitment process for the railway has no structure with regard to timings. Its understandably all about their needs with regard to recruitment and you need to be available. I have had invitation to attend testing and interviews etc with a weeks notice. The problem with not being able to attend requested dates etc means you may miss a recruitment phase. I would imagine that during your notice period you'll not be able to drop everything to attend testing and interviews at short notice?
Its not like conventional job interviews and you can be booted at any phase of the testing / interview process then leaving you unable to apply again for 6 months.

Ell887

Thanks for the reply. I’m currently not looking to leave unless a great opportunity came along (Train Driver being very desirable).

I wouldn’t leave in the hope that I could become a driver. However if I could apply and have sufficient time to leave between being accepted and commence training then I would in a heartbeat.

HTR

Bit of a catch 22 im afraid. Until you leave you realistically won't be able to start the application process and then you might not be accepted! It may be worth contacting some of the TOC's to see what your options are. Once you start the application process the ball keeps rolling! You'll not be 'accepted' to be a train driver until such time as you complete all the tests and interviews so you won't be able to pre plan a transition from the RAF to a TOC. Once accepted you may get a call to start training next week or may go into a pool for 6 months waiting for a start date. Wages during training could be below your current salary until such time as you are 'productive' which may be 18 months.
The only way I could see it possibly working was for you to submit your notice and hope that you can get leave at the drop of a hat to attend testing and if successful the interview phase. However you might get booted at any stage! I'm sure you could then withdraw your notice at any time and fall back in where you are, the forces generally don't like to lose trained up people in my experience. A great train driver opportunity won't just come along that you're guaranteed to secure.

Ell887

It very much is a catch 22 unfortunately.

I’d likely have to pick a 12 month window which I could hand in my notice and hope I was successful for a trainee driver job in that window. If not, I could rescind the application to leave.

Salary difference would be very noticeable until I was ‘productive’ however in the long run it’d be worth the hit.

Very much a gamble as you say. Hopefully I’ll work something out, I understand that these opportunities are hard to come by. Cheers HTR.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I’m currently not looking to leave unless a great opportunity came along (Train Driver being very desirable).

I wouldn’t leave in the hope that I could become a driver. However if I could apply and have sufficient time to leave between being accepted and commence training then I would in a heartbeat.
The recruitment process is usually very long and drawn out, so you will probably have plenty of time between applying and a course starting. The issues may arise with psychometric testing and interview etc. As has been said, you may only been given a week's notice or so to attend these phases, and if you can't attend, it's likely you won't get to reschedule. I'm not sure how flexible you can be in your current role?

Ell887

Aside from the recruitment process (from applying to being accepted), do you have any idea what the time between being accepted and starting training would be? I assume it depends on demand.
Currently not flexible, however I’m moving soon and I know the hierarchy would support me progressing into a different career choice.

HTR

Aside from the recruitment process (from applying to being accepted), do you have any idea what the time between being accepted and starting training would be? I assume it depends on demand.
Currently not flexible, however I’m moving soon and I know the hierarchy would support me progressing into a different career choice.
How long is a piece of string I've heard some TOC's offering a start a week after a being accepted whilst others have been 'pooled' for over a year.

Ell887

Yeah thanks HTR, I did assume that’d be the case. Of course I’m speaking with a lot of ifs and buts here.

If you were accepted and pooled, does this guarantee you’ll be loaded on to a course in the future?

HTR

That I don't know but there was another post somewhere about people literally dropping out of the pool if I remember correctly. Although I think people already had other irons in the fire after having been in the pool so long and had applied to other TOC's

Ell887

Apologies for the foray of questions (just a few more I promise)...

Is there a dedicated website where all trainee driver jobs are advertised?

On average, how long to the job applications stay open?

Do people applying for positions outside of the rail industry have equal opportunity as the ones applying from within? Or is it pretty much a closed shop?

Thanks again.

Stigy

Established Member
Apologies for the foray of questions (just a few more I promise)...

Is there a dedicated website where all trainee driver jobs are advertised?

On average, how long to the job applications stay open?

Do people applying for positions outside of the rail industry have equal opportunity as the ones applying from within? Or is it pretty much a closed shop?

Thanks again.
In order;

1. No. Just via the TOC/FOC websites generally.

2. It varies, but it’s not uncommon for adverts to have closing dates of several weeks, but close within a few hours if that.

3. Again, it varies to an extent, however generally speaking there are loads of people recruited from outside the industry. Sometimes it helps gain experience if you get another safety critical role as you’ll be assessed on your suitability at interview(s). For someone like yourself, who has an abundance of experience which transfers well, you would be looked at quite favourably I would imagine.

dan2610

For those who are, or have been in talent pools for a while, how often were you updated? Even if it was only a generic email.

I’ve been in a talent pool with GWR since the start of February, last communication was 3rd Feb to confirm this. I don’t really want to pester recruitment, especially with the majority working at home. It would be nice to have an update just to say they’ve not forgotten, and things will continue after this situation has passed, however long it may be.

I’ll email them if the consensus is you generally don’t get an update unless you ask, however if there tends to be updates every few months I’ll hold back.

richfoz84

For those who are, or have been in talent pools for a while, how often were you updated? Even if it was only a generic email.

I’ve been in a talent pool with GWR since the start of February, last communication was 3rd Feb to confirm this. I don’t really want to pester recruitment, especially with the majority working at home. It would be nice to have an update just to say they’ve not forgotten, and things will continue after this situation has passed, however long it may be.

I’ll email them if the consensus is you generally don’t get an update unless you ask, however if there tends to be updates every few months I’ll hold back.

I'm in a talent pool for Northern, since end of Jan. i couldn't start before end of June due to prior commitments to they placed me in the pool until a suitable course came up. Northern nationalised a month and a half later so i emailed them to confirm i hadn't been lost in the change over, they emailed back to say i hadn't and i'm there. So was going to email back in early June and see whats happening. I expect things will be held back a few months now, i.e. June Course in Sept etc.

I am concerned that you have to re-interview if 9 months lapse between interview & start date but i'll cross that bridge when the date comes and see whats what.

dan2610

I am concerned that you have to re-interview if 9 months lapse between interview & start date but i'll cross that bridge when the date comes and see whats what.

Is that something that’s Northern specific? I’m GWR and at the interview I was told that the longest I could be held in the pool would be 5 years. No mention of having to reinterview at any stage during that period.

I’m external now, but I have worked for GWR in the past and after speaking to former colleagues following my interview, there was no mention of that from them either.

richfoz84

Is that something that’s Northern specific? I’m GWR and at the interview I was told that the longest I could be held in the pool would be 5 years. No mention of having to reinterview at any stage during that period.

I’m external now, but I have worked for GWR in the past and after speaking to former colleagues following my interview, there was no mention of that from them either.

Yes been told this by Northern HR when I had to turn down a March start date.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there any training and recuitment going on at the moment ?

I've been wondering if it had all stopped due to Covid 19
Many of those that have already started training are just being told to stay at home. I am one of the few still doing some instructing but only with the person I've been with since last year & that was a personal choice I made. That should finish next week & after that I will not take anybody else until further notice as there is no way to adhere to distancing guidelines. All others at various stages are currently also staying at home with possibly a weekly catch up chat over the phone/email. It's all rather a stalemate at the moment.

richfoz84

That’s frustrating. I’m going to assume that’s not the case with GWR as this is the first I’ve heard of it.
Might be worth checking rather than just being assumptive. I hoping they will waiver this now it’s nationalised. If I was good enough in Jan, why wouldn’t I be ten months later!?

Stigy

Established Member

From what I’ve seen, GWR won’t update you on your status in the talent pool until They’re in a position to offer you a course date. Of course that could change, or may depend on the depot etc.

Dandredouglas

Hi everyone - hope you are all well. My names D’andre, Im 19 years old and I Want to be prepare myself as well as I can so that when I hit the eligible age I can increase my chances of becoming a trainee train driver.

what experience (in terms of a relevant job) would you recommend To increase the odds of passing the recruitment process?

best regards,

D’andre

richfoz84

Hi everyone - hope you are all well. My names D’andre, Im 19 years old and I Want to be prepare myself as well as I can so that when I hit the eligible age I can increase my chances of becoming a trainee train driver.

what experience (in terms of a relevant job) would you recommend To increase the odds of passing the recruitment process?

best regards,

D’andre

You need real examples of when have had to work alone; make quick decisions; deal with conflict etc.. customer facing roles I feel will give you some experience and examples to talk about.

Dandredouglas

You need real examples of when have had to work alone; make quick decisions; deal with conflict etc.. customer facing roles I feel will give you some experience and examples to talk about.
I currently work at airbus as an apprentice , we deal with customers but over the phone/email - do you think it would be worth getting a job as a conductor for better , more suited examples?

richfoz84

I currently work at airbus as an apprentice , we deal with customers but over the phone/email - do you think it would be worth getting a job as a conductor for better , more suited examples?

It’s hard to say. From my experience going through this twice, it’s all about how you answer the questions and prepare for the tests. An apprenticeship would be silly to throw away, but maybe a conductor job will be enjoyable and give you an insight to working on the railway.. only you can make that decision my friend!

donny12

I'm in a talent pool for Northern, since end of Jan. i couldn't start before end of June due to prior commitments to they placed me in the pool until a suitable course came up. Northern nationalised a month and a half later so i emailed them to confirm i hadn't been lost in the change over, they emailed back to say i hadn't and i'm there. So was going to email back in early June and see whats happening. I expect things will be held back a few months now, i.e. June Course in Sept etc.

Congrats for making it to the talent pool! I’m currently applying for a trainee driver role with Northern.

As part of my application I had to give details of someone to provide a future reference. Do you know at which point this will be used? I’m concerned it will alert my current employer to the face I’ve applied to Northern, so I’ll have to hand my notice in, but then could sit in the talent pool longer than my notice period! How does it work in practice please?

Ell887

If you were to apply whilst currently employed, and were successful (very hopeful I know). Would it be possible to request being put in the talent pool until you become free from your current contract. Clearly there could be a gap between leaving the current job and starting a course, which also may never happen.

Stigy

Established Member
If you were to apply whilst currently employed, and were successful (very hopeful I know). Would it be possible to request being put in the talent pool until you become free from your current contract. Clearly there could be a gap between leaving the current job and starting a course, which also may never happen.
If you applied specifically for a talent pool, it's more likely you'll have to just go with the flow and if they contact you before you're able to leave your current job, you'll have to tell them about it and I would imagine they'll keep you in the pool until another course is available. From what I've read here, most TOCs appreciate the fact that you can't put your life on hold for a job which may or may not materialise.

If you are applying for a job vacancy rather than a place in a pool, you obviously can't ask to be kept in a pool until you're free to leave your current job, as that's not how it works (although admittedly railway recruitment historically is painfully slow so one would be forgiven for assuming most TOCs would still adopt the "can't put your life on hold" ethos...).

Stigy

Established Member
Congrats for making it to the talent pool! I’m currently applying for a trainee driver role with Northern.

As part of my application I had to give details of someone to provide a future reference. Do you know at which point this will be used? I’m concerned it will alert my current employer to the face I’ve applied to Northern, so I’ll have to hand my notice in, but then could sit in the talent pool longer than my notice period! How does it work in practice please?
Most companies will by default only contact references once an offer has been made. Others will ask if it's okay to contact your references before an offer is made. The best was to find out definitely, is to contact recruitment.