A dark analysis of Thomas the Tank Engine...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuartmoss, 29 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuartmoss

stuartmoss Member

The sinister truth about Thomas the Tank Engine stories revealed...

http://www.tickld.com/x/sp/the-truth-about-thomas-the-tank-engine-childhood-ruined

Sorry, I can't do the text as I'm doing this from my phone...

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Jan 2016
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

The majority, if not all, of the original Reverend W. Awdry Railway Series stories are based on true events: Certainly, the fact that steam locomotives were being cut up in great numbers on the "Other Railway" was contemporary with the publishing of "Stepney the 'Bluebell' engine" in which that account is contained.

The passage stating that "...engines on the Other Railway aren't safe now. Their controllers are cruel. They don't like engines any more. They put them on cold damp sidings, and then," Percy nearly sobbed, "they...they c-c-cut them up" is meant to be read in as emotive terms as it is written, as that is how a great many enthusiasts felt about British Railways' headlong rush to be rid of steam power in the face of the modernisation plan at the time.

Clearly whoever wrote that short piece of whimsy needs to grow a pair before they ever consider joining the dark world of the railways. <D

Last edited: 29 Jan 2016
  4. Welly

Welly Member

^^^
    I have NOT forgotten that scrap yard scene with the two condemned engines staring at the gas axeman with terror and a faceless smokebox being hoisted in the background!

5. NY Yankee

NY Yankee Member

I used to watch this show when I was younger.

Thomas was the protagonist. Although he was the smallest engine, he was always cheerful and optimistic (though somewhat naïve).

James was a medium-sized engine who always seemed agitated.

Henry was a large engine who was scared of his own shadow. I remember the episode with Henry not wanting to come out of the tunnel. It was trying to teach kids to overcome their fears. He was always involved in some accident.

Gordon was the largest engine (and also the most arrogant). Ironically, he broke down the most.

The only engine who was pure good was Edward, who was a little bigger than Thomas.

The freight cars were the primary antagonists in the series. Later on in the series, the steam engines had a rivalry with the diesel engines.

6. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

On this side of the pond, I knew them as troublesome trucks. Did they go by another name over there?

7. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

That quote is from 1963. I think it's more a statement about Beeching than anything else.

8. 90sWereBetter

90sWereBetter Member

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
    I always thought the diesels were discriminated against in the TV show. :lol:

#JusticeForDiesel #ThomasMustApologise, etc etc

Last edited: 29 Jan 2016
  9. backontrack

How about #DieselLivesMatter? :lol:

I quite like today's DMUs. Of course, they're not as iconic as the steamers (which are perhaps more sophisticated), but for me there's something faintly nostalgic about them - probably because I've grown up with them as opposed to steam locomotives. I like 185s, and 158s, and 180s, and quite a lot of the others, too (though not pacers!).

I hope there aren't any universities on Sodor. Thomas might get no-platformed!

<:D:P

Last edited: 30 Jan 2016
  10. DasLunatic

DasLunatic Member

Would you send a 150 or 158 to Sodor, though?

Or how about a 442?

11. backontrack

I'd send the 142s there to get rid of them. <D

12. DasLunatic

DasLunatic Member

If Sodor is this 'sanctuary of the railway' we need to send the 442s over and attach new couplers to the Sodor engines. The kettles survive and the 442s find a use.

13. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

To me Beeching was more about the closure of lines and wagonload services (and, to be fair, the introduction of Freightliners/block trains etc.)
    I didn't think the headlong destruction of almost-new steam locos (which might be what Awdrey was commenting on) and the mad acceptance of an enormous variety of make-it-up-as-you-go-along diesels was anything more than a shocking own-goal by the BTC. Money available to modernise? Fill yer boots then!
    It may have helped a few UK heavy engineering companies stave off closure, but perhaps the performance of the products showed why the companies were going to fail...
    A slower phased run-down of steam in parallel with a bit more thought, prototyping and guidance of the potential diesel suppliers would have been a better use of money (and would have kept steam enthusiaists happy into the bargain.)

14. HMS Ark Royal

HMS Ark Royal Established Member

Scares and upsets me - even at my age

15. 90sWereBetter

90sWereBetter Member

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
    I remember being really scared of Diesel 10, the one with the claw on top, who appeared in the feature film they made about 15 years ago. Other than that, the series that started with Cranky the Crane toppling over twice, I remember for being unusually dark for a young children's TV show.

Unsurprisingly, despite said series being made in 1998, I can't remember it being shown very often on TV, in contrast to the earlier series with Ringo Starr narrating. Maybe it was as dark as I remember, and it scared more children. :lol:

16. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

Those scrap engines add a whole other dimension.

Are trains born? When do they become sentient? When and how do they die? Do they feel the pain?

They killed them! :o

17. backontrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuIR_HqNWo

18. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

That ridiculous modern film churned out by Britt Allcroft, who have b*st*rdised the whole notion of Thomas the Tank Engine, has nothing to do with the Railway Series as written by the Reverend W. Awdry, or his son Christopher, and certainly shouldn't be considered canon. The same goes for the TV series from, according to Wikipedia, series 5, where it began to deviate widely from the original Railway Series as had been portrayed in the first four series (primarily the first two), and as far as I can tell has introduced a bewildering supporting cast of additional characters never mentioned in any of the books and a whole host of non-prototypical situations.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    There were plenty of steam locos being scrapped in 1963: The East Coast Pacifics started to go around this time for one, as they were ousted by Deltics.
    In the books, the railways of Sodor did modernise to an extent in line with contemporary events on "the other railway" (BR). Various diesels were trialled, some more successfully than others. Early on, there was of course the slimy 08 shunter "Diesel" who was sent away after causing considerable trouble for Duck, and the much more successful "Boco", who after being initially tormented by Bill and Ben became far more settled on Sodor.

Later on, a ficitional "Hymek" (D7101) became resident on the island as a "really useful engine", at the same time as the trial of a dreadfully unreliable "Peak" took place! In one of the later Christopher Awdry stories, there's even the visit of an HST (with power cars named Pip and Emma) to the island!
    What's interesting is that not all of the engines of the "other railway" are shown with faces in the illustrations: For instance, I don't think that we ever see the face of "City of Truro" when "he" visits the island, and when Gordon takes the express all the way to London as a result of the fresh engine from the "other railway" derailing when coming off shed, you can see, in the distance, a green pacific or somesuch overturned from head on but with no face.

Plenty of others are shown with faces, though, including "Mallard" in a later book, which is interesting as of course the artist couldn't just stick to the usual oval template.

19. WessexEclectic

WessexEclectic Member

I've always wondered what Eric Hobsbawn would have mode of the Isle of Sodor...

20. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

And of course for >100 years before that, too!

21. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

I think I know which scene you're referring to. Made me shudder when I first saw it...

22. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

How strong is the rail union's membership on the Isle of Sodor and when was the last time that any industrial action occurred there?

23. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

It was about the time The Fat Controller decided he wanted to take some hard won T's & C's away

24. HMS Ark Royal

HMS Ark Royal Established Member

I do not actually think there is one

25. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

Then there probably is some truth in the rumour that zero hours contracts were in force ...........

26. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

I'm far more worried by the significant amount of operating incidents on the Island and the significant lack of remedial work by Sir Topham Hat. No wonder he can't operate trains on the mainland, he probably had his license revoked.

There's seems to be a very lax attitude to safety there. I mean, for example, runaway trains with no drivers with evidently isolated AWS.

27. backontrack

I heard that there was controversy due to the fact that late-running trains were skipping Tidmouth...

28. Drogba11CFC

Drogba11CFC Member

I remember the three big engines going on strike as they didn't want to fetch their own coaches.

29. jon91

jon91 Member

Whatever you do, don't watch a video called Shed 17 on Youtube.

I still have nightmares about it... :eek:

30. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Jesus christ what have i just watched.
    Sam

31. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Does Thomas work on Christmas Day though? And what about the proposed all night services?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.