• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A dark analysis of Thomas the Tank Engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NY Yankee

I remember the three big engines going on strike as they didn't want to fetch their own coaches.

I also remember that episode. Eventually, Thomas, Edward, and I think Percy pulled the coaches instead and the three (Gordon, Henry, James) looked like morons.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Does Thomas work on Christmas Day though? And what about the proposed all night services?

No, the North Western Railway does not work Christmas Day or New Years Day. As for Night Services, the only things booked to work overnight are the Flying Kipper, the Post Train services, a mixed goods of some sort and an overnight passenger service formed of two express coaches. In addition, some extra freight may be worked by Donald and/or Douglas - normally scrap to and from the island

#

I also remember that episode. Eventually, Thomas, Edward, and I think Percy pulled the coaches instead and the three (Gordon, Henry, James) looked like morons.

Thomas and Edward pulled the coaches while Percy handled shunting and station piloting duties. Somehow, despite using just one tender and one tank engine for passenger work, a fairly good service level was achieved!

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Whatever you do, don't watch a video called Shed 17 on Youtube.

I still have nightmares about it... :eek:

Well, thanks for that. Every single childhood memory I had about Thomas now lies in tattered ruins. And my nightmares will be filled with the screaming! :shock:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A very high proportion of the books read by children which were both popular at the time of publication and continue to be read by ensuing generations are allegories. You don't necessarily have to be cognisant of the events which the authors had in mind when they wrote them, but you can probably appreciate them a bit more. The best of them imo can be read by adults too for enjoyment e.g. Animal Farm, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Gulliver's Travels. What they all have in common, apart from wonderful writing, is an awareness of how western society operates, has always operated and probably will forever more operate, based on power, greed and duplicity.

Here endeth the lesson.

A bookseller.

Status
Not open for further replies.